316 515077 Feb 15, 2017

A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.

drfrank

Registered: Apr 2, 2004
Review Date: Jun 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Fast, cost
Cons:

I rate this lens right up there with my 70-200 FL4 and my 100mm 2.8 Macro for quality and sharpness. It has become one of my favorite lenses. The best low cost lens from Canon. A must have.

Jun 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add drfrank to your Buddy List
smpetty

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, sharpness, color, contrast and bokeh to die for. On 1.6 and 1.3 crop cameras, it's the perfect lens for portraits. Best bang for the buck in the Canon lens line.
Cons:

I have most of the Canon L lenses, and strongly believe that in terms of camera lenses, you usually get what you pay for. There are several exceptions to this rule in the Canon lens line. Notably the 50mm f/1.4, the 100mm f/2, the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, and most of all the 85mm f/1.8 are great buys and in many or all ways equal to the L lenses.

To make a potentially long review short, out of all of my lenses, I'd rank the 85 f/1.8 better than most and just below the 135 f/2 and the 500 f/4 IS. For what I paid, it's got BY FAR the best bang for the buck of all of my lenses.

Buy one and you won't be dissappointed!

Jun 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smpetty to your Buddy List
M-E-P

Registered: Jun 6, 2005

Pros: fantastic wide open. great bokeh, sharp, very sharp. Price is right!
Cons:
none I can think of....

:This is A GREAT Lens! Iborrowed this from afriend of mine and will be buying one soon (after I recover from my 70-200 2.8 L purchase) I have an all dog (lab mix) and I shot about 20 exp of him in a dim lit room at 1.8 and I can not believe the detail this lens pulled. The fur detail was amazing opposed to the usual black blob i get when I shoot him. This lens is well worth the price, and will have a happy home in my bag soon!

Jun 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add M-E-P to your Buddy List
Kancy

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Large aperture, sharp wide open and get sharper when stop down, Good color and bokeh, USM which is very silent, FTM
Cons:
Front element is large so a lens protect is required, No hood is included, A bit heavy when compared with the 50mm f1.8

Before I buy this lens, the 50mm f1.8 II is my main lens for portraits. However, I don't satisfied with it for its color and bokeh.

Then I buy the 85mm f1.8 USM. The first feeling is heavy but the build is good. The color and bokeh is great and can satisfied me. It is a partner with the 50mm f1.8 II for my portrait works. High price/performance ratio!

One of the negative aspects of the this lens is about its accessories. I need to spend extra $$ for the lens hood and filter!

May 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kancy to your Buddy List
SheepDog

Registered: May 7, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP SHARP SHARP! Excellent color, excellent focusing motor, excellent value, excellent construction
Cons:
NONE (the first lens I cannot find any negative aspect of it)

Perhaps price is slightly too high as a "consumer" lens, but this one is definitely the closest to a L lens. In that sense, you are really getting a good deal. Resell value was unbelieveable. I got 95% of my money back after owning it for one full year.

Even at f/1.8 I was able to get some good shots in low light. It gets sharper and sharper as you stop down. Photos consistently come out great. I thought I would keep this lens for as long as photography remains as my hobby. But it became too long all of a sudden when I switched to a digital body. Nothing's wrong with a "136mm" lens, but my daily shooting don't go to that range. I had to get some cash for a L lens too, so this lens was sacrificed. You can't imagine how painful it was handing over my favorite lens to a buyer.

Anyways, words are cheap. Try this lens yourself. If you are not fully satisfied with its sharpness or any aspect of it.... I can't offer you a full money back guarantee, but you will end up paying few hundred bucks more (or even a grand more) for a L prime.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SheepDog to your Buddy List
Gorham

Registered: Jun 1, 2002
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best images of any lens I have. Clear, sharp, neutral color. Good mount. Nice weight. Good, solid workhorse. USM is quiet and fast.
Cons:
None. I tried, really but couldn't come up with any cons.

I wish every lens I have were this pleasing. I consider it one of my pro lenses and thank Canon oh so much for not pricing it that way. This one along with the 50/1.8 (I) are my main primes with any camera and I try to fit them in my kit whenever I'm not sure what circumstances will befall me on a shoot.

Guess you might say this is one of the lenses I'd choose if I were stranded on an island with my camera and only one or two lenses. Smile

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gorham to your Buddy List
Kancy

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

May 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kancy to your Buddy List
Another Stefan

Registered: May 3, 2005
Review Date: May 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, Small, fast AF, good build, light, cheap
Cons:
the hood is a bit anoying to put on, closest focusing distance could be shorter (but than again it's a tele)

This is the first lens I bought along with my 20D and it's great, especially for portraits. But also for wildlife and theather in low light conditions. Highly recommanded for the quality and the price

May 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Another Stefan to your Buddy List
IraGraham

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Apr 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens on a 10D or 20D. Sharp as hell, fast,quite auto focus. Great for portraits. Awesome background blur. This lens is "L" quality for sure.
Cons:

This lens is almost as sharp as the Canon 135mm 2.0. You just can't beat this lens for portraits on a 1.6x chip. You can really seperate your subject from your background. Just a wonderful lens you cannot ask for more!!! Buy it today!

Apr 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGraham to your Buddy List
fStopJojo

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Apr 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A cracking lens, period.

Only lens I've ever rated a 10 overall. [www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/lenstests]

Apr 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fStopJojo to your Buddy List
Canis

Registered: Apr 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, very cheap, very fast focus.
Cons:

This has to be Canon's best ever value in a lens. I love it, razor sharp, fast response, excellent build quality. At twice the price it would still be very good value.

Apr 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canis to your Buddy List
godfreyz

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: Apr 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, excellent, sharp lens.
Cons:

Very sharp lens. Met all my expectations. One of my best lens.

Apr 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add godfreyz to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lens, one of the best I own
Cons:
None at all

In a previous life I owned the FD series 85 1.8 and it paid my wages by shooting concerts. Those days are long gone but it's replacement, the EF 85 1.8 is probably even better. It's one of the sharpest lenses I own (mainly L lenses) and has THE best contrast.

I really love the thick focusing ring and the build quality. It is the equivalent of a 135 f1.8 on my 20D - brilliantly fast.

Excellent lens, excellent value, hard to fault in any way

Apr 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
normski

Registered: Oct 24, 2004
Review Date: Apr 1, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: well built - feels like an L. behaves like an L. wide open it's fast with sharp images, it has quick accurate autofocus, and it's ridiculously cheap.
Cons:
some obvious purple finging wide open in strong backlight (it's not alone in this).

this lens is good - really good. IMO it's canon's best value lens. i have several L's and i would suggest the 85mm f1.8 deserves the red stripe. It's obviously not as "amazing" as the f1.2 (from what i've seen of that lens it is truly fantastic - and if you've got the dosh go for it) but the f1.8 is 4 times cheaper! if this lens cost twice as much as it does it would still be good value and i would still buy it. i don't think you'll be disappointed. it's impressively sharp wide open and the colour is also very acceptable - almost L. (in comparison, the much vaunted 50mm f1.4 feels cheap and nasty and is no big deal wide open. get the 50mm f1.8 instead - it has no pretentions).

Apr 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add normski to your Buddy List
normski

Registered: Oct 24, 2004
Review Date: Apr 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: end results are quite superb and as an added bonus the build quality is very good and when you take the price into account it's almost a gift.
Cons:
some purple fringing wide open against strong backlight (and this lens is not alone in that)

let's not beat about the bush here. this has got to be canon's best value lens: think about it - the quality of its build with a proper USM ring motor with full time MF and an autofocus that snaps into action. It's fast, it has stunning definition and very acceptable colour - not quite L colour but pretty close. ok so there's obvious purple fringing wide open in strong backlight (this lens is not alone in that) but otherwise i've noticed no gremlins. the f1.2 version according to all accounts is superior because it's 1 stop faster and the bokeh blows you away, and yes if you've got the cash go for it but remember it costs 4 times as much (which is always the case when seeking the holy grail!). bottom line - if canon charged twice as much for this f1.8 lens it would still be a bargain.
p.s. the 50mm f1.4 (which is supposed to be another fab non-L lens) feels really cheap and nasty in comparison. IMO stick with the 50mm f1.8 - it has no pretensions.

Apr 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add normski to your Buddy List
d10d

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and sharp even in very low-light conditions!... 'comforatable' to use.
Cons:

I recently got this lens and... WOW! Last night I had a chance to use it in a very dark club on my 20D @ ISO 3200, no flash... after checking my images this morning I was blown away!... I did not think it was possible to get clean shots in such an environment! The AF was bang on and the images (though grainy) caught a fair bit of detail. I am thoroughly impressed!

Highly recommended!