Canon Speedlite 580EX II

56 158608 Dec 28, 2011
580exii

Further development of Canon's flagship Speedlite has led to the production of the 580 EX II. This is the premier Speedlite for all photographers, including professionals. Newly designed to match with the EOS-1D Mark III in terms of improved dust- and water-resistance, body strength, and the ability to control flash functions and settings from the camera menu (EOS-1D Mark III only). Other features include improved communication reliability through its direct contacts, and recycling time is both 20% shorter than the 580EX and is completely inaudible.

Approx. 20% faster recycling time compared to 580EX

Superior build quality, including a metal foot for higher rigidity

Max. Guide No. 58 at 105mm setting (GN 190, feet)

Auto conversion of flash coverage with compatible digital SLR cameras

White Balance info communicated instantly to compatible digital SLR cameras

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Jan 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

So far i'm happy with flash compare to the old model.580EX

samples with 1Ds MKIII

Jan 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
Gil_W

Registered: Sep 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, Fast Recycle time, water resistance
Cons:
Miss the slave mode switch but that would have gotten in the way of the locking handle and possibly been hard to waterproof.

Canon done good when they updated the 580 mkI. The mkII is built wonderfully and to me obviously worth the money (purchased with discounts) of the upgrade. Wanted the mkII as a second flash to use with my mkI that has a faster recycle time then my 550EX.
I use flash outdoors so the water resistance, at times, will be a nice to have.

Jan 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gil_W to your Buddy List
photogreen

Registered: Jan 18, 2008
Review Date: Dec 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Loaded with features, user friendly, powerful
Cons:
Huge, heavy

Here is a detailed review on Canon 580X Mark II flash:

Also there is a good comparison review (Mark I vs. Mark II):

Dec 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photogreen to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: Nov 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $365.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional lighting source. Hard working unit on location with no downfalls in operation ! Providing Exceptional job in Chimera Light-boxes.
Cons:
NON, NADA ... ZIP !!!

I was using four Canon 580EX units which I have exchanged for EX-II version. I am splendid with this version EX-II, since recycling is faster and units are providing more light.

I use them in conjunction with Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2.

I use always Minolta color meter and then transferring data info from Minolta Color meter in to my Canon DSLR’s. All this calculation with daylight in mind. Results are awesome.

Nov 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
srene

Registered: Feb 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Coming from the 580 ex I, this is definitely built more solid. Really impressed by the new metal foot and locking. The refresh rate is also alot better.
Cons:
still uses i.r technology. Still waiting for radio freq. then the price wouldnt be an issue at all.

Oct 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add srene to your Buddy List
George Martin

Registered: Apr 18, 2004
Review Date: Jul 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Rapid recycling, weather sealing, build quality, simple to use
Cons:
Price.

Coming from a 550 EX I could not believe how fast this unit recycles. It is easy to use and produces very good results. I liked it so much I bought a second one.

Jul 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add George Martin to your Buddy List
afterburn

Registered: Aug 19, 2006
Review Date: Jul 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to use, and easy to get good results even for someone not used to using flash.
Cons:
Expensive!

I have only used it with my 5D and I am very impressed. No complicated manual setups needed, just turn it on and go. Metering is very good. In some more difficult situations you need to dial in a bit of +/- FEV, but overall the flash exposures are very good. White balance is usually spot-on using AWB, as the camera compensates WB using information from the flash.

Jul 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add afterburn to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast & powerful, steel shoe and weather proofing
Cons:

Fast and powerful, steel shoe and weather proofing. Now for the bad stuff. Locking mechanisim, master/slave buried in the menu, bigger and heavier than the 580v1.

Jun 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
Sharmy

Registered: Nov 2, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Faster recycling, less noise, improved locking mechanism,
Cons:

An "upgrade" from my 580EX, the locking mechanism revision is a most welcome addition.

Noticably faster and quieter, this is what the original 580EX should have been. The upgrade to dust and water sealing in line with the 1 series cameras is also nice. Canon now offer a complete range of dust and water sealed products.

At first, I thought the removal of dedicated wireless setting buttons was going to prove bothersome but, as all can be controlled via newer EOS cameras, I'm actually finding it easier to set-up. Well done Canon!

Jun 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sharmy to your Buddy List
whitetail

Registered: May 21, 2008
Review Date: Jun 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, swivel range, built-in features, exposure performance
Cons:
Adds more weight to heavy SLR set-up

This flash is very solid and built well, I refer to it as my "brick". It is everything I expected and more. The exposures are nice and even, and makes me like flash photography. I came from using the built in flashes on Canon dslrs, which I would rip off the cameras if I could. When mounted with big lenses like the "L" line, it can make any camera very intimidating. When I tried mounting on a Rebel, it looked fairly absurd. BUT this is not about appearance, just performance. I couldn't ask more out of a flash. The price is a little deterring, I waited until Canon held rebates to buy mine. It was about $40-50 off, and I wouldn't have bought this new otherwise.

Jun 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add whitetail to your Buddy List
Samuel Clarke

Registered: May 23, 2007
Review Date: May 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: In many ways the best speedlight that Canon have made - finally something to compete with Nikon's offerings. Build quality excellent!
Cons:
Exposure problems on older cameras like the 10D.

I've got two 580EX II's and a 430EX. If I'm using them on newer gear the 580EX II's are superb - however, if I have to use my backup 10D, ETTL doesn't work and it switches to TTL with shocking results. Either totally under or overexposed (mostly overexposed) - though shooting in manual on both camera and flash work OK. It isn't a huge issue for me as I'm about to do some camera reshuffling and retire the 10D, but if you have an older camera (1D, 10D or 300D) keep in in mind.

Build quality is so much nicer than the 580EX and 430EX - they feel like inferior products now - love the weather sealing, it makes shooting on location a little less stressful...

May 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Samuel Clarke to your Buddy List
bacilonur

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Review Date: Apr 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Power, PC sync, ease of use, quiet
Cons:
Price, no dedicated master/slave switch like the MK1, metal hot shoe can tear off the camera's.

Very reliable flash. Much more versatile than the 430EX.

Apr 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bacilonur to your Buddy List
Gijs

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $630.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Vastly superior build quality compared to original 580EX
Cons:
User interface takes a bit getting used to

Got this flash alongside my 580 EX I and 420 EX as a third unit for wireless E-TTL. The first thing I noticed was the superior build quality compared to the mark I. Not only is the hot shoe weatherproof and more solid, the buttons feel a lot more solid also. Nothing wrong with the exposures either. What took a bit of getting used to was the user interface for the wireless E-TTL master/slave functionality. Lots of button presses, but you get used to it. Great product!

Mar 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gijs to your Buddy List
tell

Registered: Aug 25, 2003
Review Date: Feb 11, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Fast recycle. PC synch port. Weather proofing.
Cons:
Locking shoe not as fool proof as manual screw down shoe. Exposure seems to be off a lot more than my 580 I flashes.

I have two 580 flashes, one of which needs to go in for service due to a messed up zoom mechanism. So I decided to purchase the 580II. I shot with it this past weekend and was very disappointed. Numerous times the flash switched from ETTL to TTL and was blowing out everything. I finally figured out the locking shoe mechanism was losing contact. Exposure also seemed to be very inconsistant. Far from being an improvement over the 580 I. I spent the night chimping every single shot. I think this shoe issue is going to become an issue for many more people. Time will tell.

Feb 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tell to your Buddy List
carrigman

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Review Date: Feb 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb build quality. Outstanding performance.
Cons:

I purchased the Canon as an upgrade from my Sigma EF-500 DG Super flashgun. The difference in quality between the two units is immense with the Canon in a totally different league: it is a solidly built unit that immediately inspires confidence whereas the Sigma is flimsy by comparison. It delivers an outstanding performance with highly accurate illumination. It has everything that I need in a flashgun and then some. I'll be keeping the Sigma as a back up and will be using it as a slave from time to time to the Canon master - I was particularly pleased to find that the master/slave relationship works between the two guns.

Feb 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add carrigman to your Buddy List
Alex2008

Registered: Jan 24, 2008
Location: Belarus
Review Date: Jan 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Great Flash!5
Wow, what a flash! Best flash I have used to date. I needed it ASAP for a company shoot, and it arrived promptly. And get this - one of the rechargable batteries in the 4-pack turned out to be DOA and could not even be charged. One call to Cameta, and they had a replacement on the way, no questions!
Now that's service. I have already ordered another item for my Canon 30D from this excellent dealer! Thanks Cameta!

------------------------------
Wetsuits

Jan 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alex2008 to your Buddy List

Canon Speedlite 580EX II