Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

189 392812 Dec 9, 2013
8.7
1750diII

Di II: Lenses are designed for exclusive use on digital cameras with smaller-size imagers and inherit all of the benefits of our Di products. These lenses are not designed for conventional cameras and digital cameras with image sensors larger than 24mm x 16mm.

The SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 is a lightweight, compact, fast standard zoom lens designed exclusively for digital SLR cameras, expanding the product concept of the popular SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 zoom lens.

In addition, portrait shots are made beautiful with the natural out-of-focus effect characteristic provided by the fast F/2.8 aperture. Additionally, a broader photographic expression through the use of faster shutter speeds as a result of the maximum aperture offers enhanced photographic pleasure. The lens boasts one of the best close-up shooting performances in the class of fast standard zoom lenses designed exclusively for digital cameras and featuring an F/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range, to ensure stress-free photographic shots at all focal lengths and distances.

Model A016
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 13/16
Angle of View 7845'-3111' (APS-C size equivalent)
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7 (Circular apertures)
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus Distance 10.6in.(0.27m)
Macro Magnification Ratio 1:4.5 (at f=50mm MFD 0.27m)
Filter Diameter 67
Weight 430g (15.2oz)
Diameter x Length 2.9 x 3.2in.
(74.0 x 81.7mm)
Accessory Flower shaped lens hood
Mount Canon AF, Sony/Maxxum AF-D, Nikon AF-D

Marty Honea

Registered: Oct 19, 2006
Review Date: Jun 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $439.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Images
Cons:
No USM

I bought this lens a week ago. I was worried about getting a dud after reading reviews on here, and since this is my first non Canon lens. I must say I'm very impressed with the lens so far. Colors are super crisp and sharp, Very little if any distortion on my 10D. Auto focus is a little slower and noisier than my Canon USM lenses, but for half the price of Canon's USM version I can deal with it. 17mm @ F2.8 is much sharper than I expected.

I bought the lens for a trip out west I'm taking next month, and I'm looking forward to getting some good shots of the Vegas strip and of the Utah mountains with it.

Jun 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Marty Honea to your Buddy List
ghamden

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $419.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent Lens crisp images great colors
Cons:

Jun 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ghamden to your Buddy List
riversen

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Review Date: Jun 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $449.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic lens for a fantastic price at an aperture of f/2.8... WOW! Great focus, tact sharp, and decent build.
Cons:
Yes, it is a bit noisier than Canon's USM motors, but it really isn't that bad. In all, there is very little negative I have to say about this lens.

I have to continue my shots, but what I have taken so far are very nice. I like the f/2.8 and the sharpness is pretty strong all the way through from 17mm to 50mm. I feel very confident with an aperture of f/2.8 as I do with the smaller apertures. It does take a bit getting used to the reversed zoom. Focus is a bit noisier than my Canon's, but it is NOT bad at all. I think anyone wanting a wide lens will like this, especially at the price. Yes, there is no IS and, yes, this is not a USM motor. Otherwise, it is a great lens. Enjoy!!!

Jun 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add riversen to your Buddy List
wcastleman

Registered: Nov 21, 2002
Review Date: Jun 12, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $419.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Low weight and compact OK image quality for small jpg's and 5x7's
Cons:
Poor quality control; 1st copy wouldn't autofocus on XTi Slow noisy focus Image quality so so

I bought one to see if it would be sharp enough for f/2.8 portrait work with an APS-C camera. I wouldn't use it to produce 8x10 prints.

I tested two new lenses, the first wouldn't autofocus. The second had 50% MTF and resolution performance that was generally on the low end against other comparably priced lenses (Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 Macro).

I have summarized my experience here:

There are many happy Tamron 17-50 owners. It could be that I just got two bad copies in a row. If you buy one, make sure you have the option to return yours for an immediate exchange with your dealer or return for refund if yours is defective.

Jun 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wcastleman to your Buddy List
THarley

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Review Date: Jun 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, lightweight and not too large. Colors are great and it handles flare in a fairly decent manner.
Cons:
Noisy and not superfast AF.

I've had this lens for a year now an must say that I am completely satisfied with it.

Jun 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add THarley to your Buddy List
Liftik

Registered: Feb 12, 2005
Review Date: Jun 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $419.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast focus, not noisy, size and weight, I love this lens
Cons:

on my Nikon D200 the lens focus quickly and quietly for and for a none Silent Wave, hard to discern the differences compared to a SW lens.

Jun 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liftik to your Buddy List
Shiva Shankar

Registered: May 2, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Razor Sharp images! Cant beat the price to image quality ratio. Solid build. Reasonably fast.
Cons:
Even with f/2.8, will occasionally search in low light (when using AF). Really noisy AF

Probably the best, or definitely one of the best cost to quality ratio when it comes to affordable fast lens. The image quality on this lens in unbelievable. On bright sunny day when used for capturing threads of waterfalls, and using a really low aperture setting, diffraction is not an issue at all! Comes without the IS, but for this price you cannot hope for one. Use a tripod and you are quite ok for longer shutters. Solid build quality and the lens feels about right in your hands. Does not make the D-SLR front heavy (and I have a really light small one). All in all a perfect walkaround lens and an excellent alternative to the more pricier canon/nikon options. Just leanr to live with the noisy AF.

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Shiva Shankar to your Buddy List
Sorensiim

Registered: May 30, 2007
Review Date: May 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP! Absolutely killer lens at this price. Great for parties, weddings etc.
Cons:
AF is a bit noisy.

I've had this lens for about a month, and just joined to recommend it.

I love this lens. Same range as my kit zoom, but with amazing sharpness all across the range, and even wide open. RAZOR sharp if stepped down to F/4. This picture is just a shot with the camera held out in one hand, but shows something about the sharpness: Http://www.gutaarn.dk/files/IMG_4087.JPG - Taken at 17mm & F/4

It's the full, un-edited jpg straight from my 400D. A Speedlite 430EX was used too. Full exif info in the jpeg.

Picked up a used (9 months old, PERFECT nick) copy for around $450, and what a great buy. If I ever lost it, I would run straight to the store to buy a new one. It is every bit as sharp as my Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 Mk II @ F/2,8 - And even sharper @ f/4. I Will never, never part with this lens.

Only con is the AF "noise". A slight whir can be heard when focusing, but no worse than the 50mm F/1.8. Not exactly something that scares people away, but in a silent room you will hear it. Still an absolutely GREAT buy! I Wish I could give it 11 out of 10 for price rating.

May 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sorensiim to your Buddy List
Archimago

Registered: May 14, 2006
Review Date: May 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp. Definately usable at f2.8 IF you have a good copy. Overall very good IQ. Light weight. Good price. Fast AF speed on Nikon D200.
Cons:
Plastic construction. Durability issues? Not as fast or silent as AF-S of course...

Bought for NIKON.

Went through 2 copies and definately the 2nd copy was MUCH better. The first copy I received was "Assembled in China" and had major issues with infinity focusing from about 28mm onward. Obviously soft especially at f2.8 with shallow DOF.

I sent that back and the next copy was "Made In Japan". The focus now is sharp and usable even wide open at f2.8. Stopped down to f5.6 and further, it's one of my sharpest lenses. The 7 rounded aperture blades produces rather good bokeh on this lens. Contrast and color rendition with portraits have been excellent. I haven't seen CA or edge sharpness issues ruin my pictures yet.

Construction is a bit plasticky but the good part is that it's light so don't be bashing this around! The 6 year warranty here in Canada is very impressive.

Overall, this serves my purpose as a "walkaround" fast zoom. Works wonderfully with weddings - plus light enough that you don't need to do weights to wield this over a long day of shooting :-). At 1/3 price of Nikon 17-55/2.8 DX with essentially equivalent image quality, I'm happy. (The Nikon has AF-S for faster focusing but I find the focus speed good enough.) Make sure you buy at a place with good refund/exchange policy just in case you get a lemon...

May 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Archimago to your Buddy List
KCJ1

Registered: May 23, 2004
Review Date: May 26, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Price is good, color/contrast are good
Cons:
Images are soft. I am sending the lens back because of this. Much softer than my other lenses. This shows up in prints, not just on the monitor.

It's just too soft for me, and this shows up in prints as well as the monitor. I'm sending it back. On the positive side, the color and contrast seem very good.

I can soften up a sharp image if I need to, but sharpening up a soft image is another thing. A shame, because otherwise it seems great. But soft is soft, so back it goes.

May 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KCJ1 to your Buddy List
silverthorn11

Registered: Jun 30, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: value for money, great performer for its price, good weight, sharp and accurate. good for low light with the f2.8, good build (although its not an L), gives canon L a good run for its money
Cons:
focusing a little noisy, not weather-sealed

i'm a proud owner of a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as of this afternoon! Very happy with this lens.

Reasons which made me buy this over Canon 17-40mm f4 L:
1) PRICE!!!! For $660, it is almost half the cost of the cheapest Canon L Lens
2) Not using FF camera. Currently using Canon 20D, very happy with it and so not going to use a FF camera until maybe in 3-5 years time, by that time, I believe there will be a newer and better L Lens for me. Buy only when u need to use it.
3) f2.8! Amazing, great at low light and the bokeh is beautiful. 10 times better than my kit lens!
4) the extra 10mm, it's useful, a little more ranger than the Canon 40mm
5) the weight is good, almost as heavy as the L, as it has supposedly more glass, and the turn direction opposite of Canon does not bother me a bit.
6) Image quality is excellent! I would say it is almost as good as an L lens, maybe it is just 5-10% less sharp than Canon (although it's very hard to tell them apart), the price just does not justify this difference.
7) I'm not earning as a photographer, no justification to get an L lens. Just a serious amatuer.
8) Tamron has a service centre in Singapore (which i just found out) and the warranty is 3 years (1 + 2 extended). Great! what more can I ask?
9) free lens hood! yipee!!!
10) colour reproduction does not lose out to canon L lens.

If you are also struggling with the same dilemma, if you are like me, a serious amatuer, I say get this Tamron, it's worthed it.

11) if u want to sell in 2-3 years time, sure got buyer (it's new now), the most you lose $150-200 max! that works out to be about only $50 per year of usage. I think it's great. But for me, it's a keeper for the long run.

May 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add silverthorn11 to your Buddy List
czechmate

Registered: Jun 7, 2006
Review Date: May 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, even wide open, light, great value for the money, excellent alternative to L lenses, as a matter of fact, probably better glass, nice bokeh, feels fine, very quick focusing, focus IQ is very good, even makes older brother tamron 28-75 f/2.8 look bad, rarely hunts, and best of all, add a flash to this, and then zoom in photoshop to pixel pic and see the amazing detail.
Cons:
Does not prepare breakfast for you

Do I need to say anything else, look at the positives. I'm SO glad that I bought this lens, instead of looking at canons (more expensive). I like to do research, and this seemed like the lens to get. It was, and more. I'll never hesitate to get a 3rd party lens that has good reviews.

Just became a father and using this lens exclusively, sickening detail, very very happy with it..czech it out, tons of samples:

www.flickr.com/photos/martinmarek/show/

you can view pics @ larger sizes just take out the show part of the site above.

Great great lens, i will have beautiful baby pics all b/c of this sweet lens. Duh!

Czechmate

May 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add czechmate to your Buddy List
benny_g

Registered: Nov 4, 2006
Review Date: May 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: i love it..... for the money ... unreal
Cons:
err99???? has this happened to anyone>?

love it .... use it for alot of weddings... great dof.... a little barrel distortion but who is complaining.

only thing is i keep getting err99 when i need the lens the most...in critical situation

sending it back for check

so very sharp

well done tamron

benny

May 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add benny_g to your Buddy List
Y_vdm

Registered: May 20, 2005
Review Date: May 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: ligth, sharp, build, hood
Cons:
no USM

Never buying a lens trough Internet, I prefer to test at the shop. They let me test 3 items of this lens on my 20D. One was really soft, the two others reasonably sharp.

Build quality is not like my L lenses but it's OK. I had a (very) bad with the Sigma model and this Tamron gives the result that I expect.

No DXO driver for this lens at this time. Hope it will be available soon.

May 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Y_vdm to your Buddy List
mirages

Registered: Apr 3, 2006
Review Date: May 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: You name it.
Cons:
For the buck, no valid complaint.

Just a very fine lens to use and to own.
I would guess this may be Tamron's best
in their lineup, or a close second. Wouldn't
hesitate to recommend this to anyone; my
copy arrived like a jewel with no issues. A
tremedous value, and the speed in most
normal situations obviates the need for IS.
For the price and utility this is a can't miss!

May 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mirages to your Buddy List
Stuart Bell

Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Review Date: Apr 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Range; price; optical quality.
Cons:
Barrel distortion in the 17-24mm range; Tamron quality control.

My first copy was very sharp, but started giving 'Err99" on my 20D when set to 30-50mm, after about 3 weeks. Was replaced by the dealer, no problem. My second copy is sharp. The reported noisy focussing isn't a big deal, IMHO, as in real-life use (as opposed to 'testing') the focus is usually only adjusting over a short range, and the 'blip' of the focusssing motor is very short.

The lens is excellent for a crop body DSLR. I find it resistant to flare, and that it gives good colour and contrast. I have no problem with AF in low light, which may be due to the extra 'f/2.8' AF sensors on a 20D (and 30D and 400D etc). The zoom ring works in the reverse direction to Canon zooms, but that's no problem since my Canon lenses are all primes, so the adjustment is easy.

Apr 27, 2007