Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

189 393411 Dec 9, 2013
8.7
1750diII

Di II: Lenses are designed for exclusive use on digital cameras with smaller-size imagers and inherit all of the benefits of our Di products. These lenses are not designed for conventional cameras and digital cameras with image sensors larger than 24mm x 16mm.

The SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 is a lightweight, compact, fast standard zoom lens designed exclusively for digital SLR cameras, expanding the product concept of the popular SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 zoom lens.

In addition, portrait shots are made beautiful with the natural out-of-focus effect characteristic provided by the fast F/2.8 aperture. Additionally, a broader photographic expression through the use of faster shutter speeds as a result of the maximum aperture offers enhanced photographic pleasure. The lens boasts one of the best close-up shooting performances in the class of fast standard zoom lenses designed exclusively for digital cameras and featuring an F/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range, to ensure stress-free photographic shots at all focal lengths and distances.

Model A016
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 13/16
Angle of View 7845'-3111' (APS-C size equivalent)
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7 (Circular apertures)
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus Distance 10.6in.(0.27m)
Macro Magnification Ratio 1:4.5 (at f=50mm MFD 0.27m)
Filter Diameter 67
Weight 430g (15.2oz)
Diameter x Length 2.9 x 3.2in.
(74.0 x 81.7mm)
Accessory Flower shaped lens hood
Mount Canon AF, Sony/Maxxum AF-D, Nikon AF-D

okaaycom

Registered: May 28, 2008
Review Date: May 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price!, Lightweight, large aperture, great minimum focusing distance, no zoom creep
Cons:
Loud AF, no SWM/AF-S, lots of vignetting when wide open

Purchased this because I couldn't justify spending $1400 on the Nikon equivalent. I also read the reviews on here and they were for the most part great. It's so small, I couldn't believe how much bigger then Nikon 17-55 is compared to this. I'm very happy with this lens.

Wide aperture. Lightweight, small. Great for travelling. The image quality, from what I can tell is pretty good. There is quite a bit of vignetting when you take pictures at f/2.8, but some people like it. There's some distortion at 17mm, but can be expected.

The AF is loud.

The MFD is really good, I think. It can focus at about 10" from the sensor to the object. 4" from the tip of the lens at 50mm, and 6" from the tip of the lens at 17mm.

May 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add okaaycom to your Buddy List
toguko

Registered: May 24, 2008
Review Date: May 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: f/2.8, fast AF, starts from 17mm
Cons:
not sharp at f/2.8 in low light, 50mm not enough (70mm would be nice), not for full frame, IQ not perfect

I would recommend it as a first lens instead of kit but after a while you want better IQ. I prefer 20mm longer for street photography that's why I'm buying 24-70mm and this one I will use for wide angle.

Samples:

May 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toguko to your Buddy List
mbyoungs

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Review Date: May 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, Color, Focus Speed
Cons:
I haven't found any

I bought the Promaster labeled version of the lens.
I compared it to a Canon 17-40L and could not find enough difference between the two to justify the price difference. Besides the Canon is only an f4.
I also tried it with a Tamron 1.4x tc behind and beside homeplate, worked extremely well very little IQ loss.
This lens beats my 50/1.8 all to heck.
Mike

May 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbyoungs to your Buddy List
Spock lonewolf

Registered: May 8, 2008
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: May 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, fast, sharp - if you have the right piece
Cons:
Major vignetting if you use more than 1 filter, unequal production quality, AF noise

If you're lucky, you'll get perfect lens at first time. If not, you might be dissapointed and have to try more pieces before you get the right one.

I'd recommend to go to the store where they have more pieces of this lens and try which one is the best. If you won't, you could easily get some with strong FF/BF or something like that – hovewer this can be solved with Tamron service.

I've got perfect piece first time and I like it. I's sharp, but the most important fact - for lens this fast (which I need), I'd have to pay much more if bought from Canon.

The only drawbacks are vignetting (or even clipping image at 17 mm) when using screw-in plus Cokin/Lee filters and quite noisy AF when it have to refocus through the whole range.

May 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Spock lonewolf to your Buddy List
finalcut

Registered: Jul 22, 2005
Review Date: May 8, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 4

Pros:
Cons:

I bought this lens for my Nikon D80 and all I can say is that I will never buy any tamron anymore. I've had problems with my old 18-200 that been replaced atfer 2 months in their shop and now my 17-50 that has front focus problem that has been in their shop for more than 3 months now!

No more tamron for me, no thanks

May 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add finalcut to your Buddy List
jlin

Registered: Mar 2, 2008
Review Date: May 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: solid build, SHARP!, fast AF, not sigma color, price!
Cons:
zoom ring is reverse of canon's, noisy AF, barrel distortion @17mm, in that order - not f2? these negs are being a bit picky!

this is a lens i can easily recommend - esp. for beginning photographers looking for a kit lens alternative

very sharp lens and also great for the low light work i tend to do (stages / ballrooms)

focusing is fast enough for me but isn't USM, surprisingly, it hunts less than my copy of the canon 85 1.8 in low light

great colors - a bit on the warm side though

very reasonable pricing - i've never owned the canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM, but for this price, the tamron lens was just right and delivered more than i expected!

i wish there was a bit more reach than 50mm, but it's not a 17-50 for nothing...

oh, and handy front lens cap design, esp. when you have the hood on =]

May 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlin to your Buddy List
crabdevil

Registered: Apr 18, 2008
Review Date: Apr 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: fast, sharp, hood included, price
Cons:
quite strong CA, reverse Canon zoom rotation

I bought it for my best friend's wedding photo. In the first trip I didn't expect it too much but a little bit upset when saw CA result on my PC. White T-shirt in Thailand's afternoon sunshine create visible purple rim.
Accuracy of AF is acceptable for me, at sunset shot I never miss the target. Fact is AF noise is quite lound and sharp.
The most CONs for this is zoom rotating direction was opposite to Canon lens. Even some weeks passed but I still belong to Canon's feeling.
At 50 mm. f/2.8 is not that very shap (but still sharp) to stick at f/4 is much more better.
Color is not that sweet as Canon's portrait prime lens.
Anyway compare to Canon's flagship EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM which 3x pricy without hood in the box. I prefer this lens and keep other 2x money to find something real for another spot (L prime or ultra wide zoom) Up until now, I would say it was optimized standard zoom for APS-C.

Apr 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add crabdevil to your Buddy List
jay1hawker

Registered: Jun 23, 2003
Review Date: Mar 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, 2.8 aperture, quick focussing, like the extra 10mm vs. the 17-40mm Canon. Photos are sharp, plus I can use all my 67mm filters from my Mamiya 645 lenses from years back.

I had the 17-40mm lens for a few years and was going to
go the route of the 16-35mm lens, but wanted something
a little less pricey. Got the 17-50mm 2.8 lens before
we went on our recent vacation. Was planning on giving
it to my daughter for her use and enjoyed it so much,
she still gets it, I ordered another one. Here is a link to
a few pix we shot with it...

Mar 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jay1hawker to your Buddy List
Peter Szuhai

Registered: Oct 11, 2007
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Mar 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Inexpensive, lightweight, fast, sharp, excellent IQ, great build
Cons:
Tight zoom ring, a little bit of vignetting wide open but I like the effect

I have the lens for 3 weeks now and I did not take it off of the camera. I was looking for a replacement of the kit lens and this thing is everything I wanted. It fits my (low) budget and produces amazing contrast and sharpness. I own the 70-200 f/4 and they compliment each other perfectly. The two cover my needs between 17 & 200mm under $1000 nothing can beat that.
I was worried about the focus noise but it is not that bad at all as one might think reading all the complaints. I got used to it in five minutes. My copy has no focusing issues as far as I can tell - I did shoot a bunch of tests with it.

I have no regrets, highly recommended

Mar 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Szuhai to your Buddy List
gboccuti

Registered: Apr 4, 2005
Review Date: Jan 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, overall IQ, color saturation, price
Cons:
Noise, front-focus

Bought this camera a few weeks ago and was pleased with the focus speed and accuracy. The focus motor sound does take some time to get used to but I didn't see it as a major issue. I purchased the lens because of the sharp anture of this glass and it lived up to my expectations. I returned the lens this week though as it had a front-focus problem. Also decided against a replacement as I'm going to hold-off and pull the trigger on the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS (which is what I really wanted). If you are looking for a wide zoom with great sharpness and IQ without spending alot of money, this is recommended. Much better than any kit lens on a crop camera..

Always test your lenses before the return period expires...!

Jan 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gboccuti to your Buddy List
Derek Sellars

Registered: May 25, 2007
Review Date: Jan 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price,Image Quality!
Cons:
None!

After spending a fortune on L glass including the 24-105 IS and the 70-200 2.8 IS, i was looking for a cheaper alternative wide angle than the 17-40L or the 17-55 IS,

I have previously owned the 17-40L and liked it but found it a little short, and the f4 although not bad 2.8 would be better,

After reading the reviews of the Tamron 17-50 2.8 here i took the plunge and boy was i ever pleased i did,

Build quality is excellent, smooth operation in use, and totally
incredible image quality, sharpness is just astounding!

I can honestly say that this lens produces better images out of camera than the 17-40L i owned.........at less than half the price!
Yes the focus whines a little but it's no problem and it's quick anyway,

If you are thinking of getting one of these........GET ONE Now!

Jan 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Derek Sellars to your Buddy List
leicar8

Registered: Oct 24, 2005
Review Date: Jan 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Photography expert Geoffrey Crawley in England produced an evaluation article of this lens in Amateur Photographer and concluded that it is one hell of an outstanding lens. Based on his findings, I bought it from B&H and it is indeed that! I almost always use Leica cameras and lenses but I needed a handy zoom lens that would work with my Canon Rebel XT and this is was definitely the one to buy.

Jan 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leicar8 to your Buddy List
Jeff Spain

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: Jan 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, weight, sharp photos
Cons:
odd filter size, vignetting

This lens is vastly underrated. I have taken over 20,000 photos with this lens and I am amazed at how sharp they are. One of the sharpest zooms I have ever used. The only other zoom lens that can challenge this is my 35-70 mm Nikon.

The newer AF-S, VR lens are better, but at 2 or 3 times the cost. Wide open, the Bokeh is neutral. Images are very sharp from F4 on. Wide open this lens does have vignetting issues. However, with CS3 this is easily fixed using RAW files.

Odd filter size made be buy step up rings, but otherwise I am extremely happen with this lens and I am a hard core Nikon user.

Jan 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Spain to your Buddy List
redii

Registered: Jan 5, 2006
Review Date: Dec 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, utility, weight, performance.
Cons:
Noise, focus ring, backwards zoom.

I have struggled to find a good all purpose lens to carry on my camera. The 17-40 lack just a speck of reach and only is a 4.0 appeture.

The 24-70L is HEAVY and I don't want to risk bumps and drops as I use it for portrait work.

The 17-55 IS is big and expensive too.

All other 3rd party lenses get less than stellar reviews on most web sites.

This lens has turned out to be an excellent option. Build is sufficient but weight is not too much. The price is affordable and I bought second hand from a fellow FMer.

Focus has been fast and spot on except for the few times my big fat fingers have interfered with the focus ring which spins as the camera focuses. The lens forgives an refocuses quickly.

The other slightly annoying quirk here is the focus ring is backwards. Gee Tamron, what were you thinking?

Sharpness is excellent for the price. I can pixel peep and differentiate it from my L glass. BUT NOT BY MUCH!

This lens has been on my camera almost non stop for the last few weeks.

This lens is a winner and should debunk some of the 3rd party predjudice we all seem to foster.

Dec 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add redii to your Buddy List
Dawei Ye

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Dec 17, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $480.00

Pros: A very versatile workhorse lens for me. IQ is very good, don't let elitists bullcrap you that 3rd party glass sucks, Tamron lenses like this one are very, very good.
Cons:
For the price it is hard to fault, but I would have liked improved focusing system including Full Time Manual (FTM) and a bit more sharpness wide open.

This is another review from me, I previously gave it an 8 in an earlier review, but if I could I would give it a 10.

It is an absolute work horse for me and performs shot after shot. It is on my 400D almost 100% of the time and it has never failed on me and never given me a crap shot when I have done everything correctly on my end.

Focusing is loud, whiny and not as fast as USM, especially in low light, but

IQ is excellent, not perfect but even a sharpness freak like myself is satisfied with the results. For newbies like me, skill is the limiting factor with this lens in terms of sharpness. With practice you will see your results becoming sharper and sharper. My sharpest shots look crisp even at full size (100%). Things like landscape shots get a little blotchy but that is due to the limitations of the sensor too. I am nevertheless happy with IQ on this lens, especially given the price. I'm not afraid to say it but IQ rivals some Canon "L" glass.

Highly Recommended Lens until you can afford/want a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS

It is also a very useful zoom range for the APS-C sized sensor that it was designed for. Perfect for everything except perhaps if you are in a small room and need ultra wide angle or taking photos of birds. I have taken very good group shots, portraits, landscape, buildings, everything with this lens.

Highly Recommended Lens. Make sure you get a good copy though, or get it calibrated/exchanged if it isn't sharp and focus isn't accurate. My copy is almost as sharp as the 50mm f/1.8 II at most apertures (a tad softer, but only noticeable when viewing zoomed in).

Dec 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dawei Ye to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Dec 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $428.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Image in most all focal lengths. Great price.
Cons:
Almost unbearable noise from auto-focus.

I have had this lens for 3 months now. It is my primary walk-around lens. It takes great shots 99% of the time. Low light is sometimes an issue. Autofocus is noisy as heck. But for the price, it's a winner.

Dec 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List

Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]