Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 53745 Nov 11, 2011
8.8
rebel_xt

For convenience, ease of use and no-compromise SLR performance, look no further than the EOS Digital Rebel XT. Featuring Canon's Digital Trinity - an 8.0 Megapixel CMOS sensor, Canon's own DIGIC II Image Processor and compatibility with over 50 EF Lenses-the new Digital Rebel XT has an all new lightweight and compact body, improved performance across the board and the easiest operation in its class, simplifying complex tasks and ensuring the perfect shot every time. With intuitive simplicity, powerful performance and unprecedented affordability, the Rebel XT is the EOS digital camera for everyone.

--------------

* High-performance digital SLR with 8.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor
* Smallest and lightest EOS Digital SLR to date (as of February 2005)
* Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with a 14 frame burst and 0.2 second startup time
* High-speed, Wide-area 7-point AF with superimposed focusing points
* User-selectable metering patterns, AF modes, custom functions and flash exposure compensation
* Direct Print support with PictBridge compatible printers
* USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for quick downloads
* Compatible with more than 50 EF and EF-S Lenses and most EOS System accessories including EX-series Speedlites and a dedicated Battery Grip

ZachBonnell

Registered: Nov 11, 2011
Review Date: Nov 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good image quality, sturdy, long lasting, small.
Cons:
Relatively small resolution compared to today's Rebels, small LCD screen, quite a bit of area missing in the viewfinder.

The positive:

I bought a 350d at Wal-Mart back in 2008, it was my first DSLR. The shutter life expectancy is 50,000 clicks but I'm sure I've surpassed that already and this little fella is still going strong. I've dropped it down a flight of stairs (breaking my plastic fantastic 50mm) and it's still going strong. I've taken it out in the rain, freezing cold winter, everything I could throw at it. It's still going strong. I have a photography book published, photos published in international newspapers and magazines, the quality is great. I take a lot of shots in crowded bars downtown and the small size of this camera makes it very easy to wander through mazes of busy people.

The Bad:

The LCD screen is a little too small to see if manually focused shots are sharp enough, there's no live view, the focus misses sometimes in darker situations even with top line lenses, it's only 8MP compared to today's 18MP Rebel line, my 350d has the grey body which doesn't look as cool as black, and the plastic body feels a little cheap.

Overall:

This is the camera that got me in to photography nearly 4 years ago and I've never looked back. Most of the photos I've taken with it are fantastic but it usually takes a few images to get the perfect shot because of missed focus. I paid $350 for this camera and a kit lens at Wal-Mart. Now that I've paired it with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Canon 135mm F2 I've taken some fantastic shots. I'm probably not going to upgrade until the shutter dies out on me.

Nov 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ZachBonnell to your Buddy List
austinschutz

Registered: Oct 7, 2011
Review Date: Oct 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, performance for price.
Cons:
High ISO performance, lackluster AF.

A great little camera, especially at current prices. It is missing a lot of features of newer models, but it still will take great photos and is an excellent camera for anyone starting in photography!

Oct 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add austinschutz to your Buddy List
Nikon23

Registered: Oct 31, 2010
Review Date: Mar 19, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good for starter photographers
Cons:
Tiny LCD, poor iso performance

Good camera for new photographers with a low budget. The tiny screen is almost useless. 8 mega-pixels which is decent.

Mar 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nikon23 to your Buddy List
phyrpowr

Registered: Aug 31, 2005
Review Date: Apr 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fine IQ up to ISO 400, light weight/small, good on batteries
Cons:
coming from the xxD series, hard to navigate menu/controls

As noted, it's complicated to navigate the menu and controls, but if someone started with this camera, they'd probably do better. Some think it "too small", but that's a selling point to me, even with large/medium clumsy hands: with, e.g., a 35 or 50 lens, it can go in a big pocket, or a small fanny pack

With the kit lens (IS model), gotten surprisingly good results up to ISO 400, and over is certainly acceptable.

At current used prices it's an excellent buy

Apr 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phyrpowr to your Buddy List
babyjax14

Registered: May 22, 2008
Review Date: Jan 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Colors, ISO 100-400 are fantastic, weight.
Cons:
Plasticky, ISO 800 is just OK and 1600 is usable---barely. Af assist beam should either be placed in a usable place, or not on the camera at all. Autofocus is sometimes unreliable. Viewfinder and status screen NEED to show iso.

The Canon XT/ 350D has given me a lot of great pictures. Performance still matches up well with the current entry-level SLR (XS). Color is very nice, and the file size is not overwhelming, but leaves enough room for cropping. It is light, and when paired with a 50mm f/1.8 weighs just a little more than a super-zoom P&S. Af is decent in good lighting, and hit-or miss in low light. I feel no need to upgrade to a current entry level camera, I would only consider it for a full frame camera, or perhaps the 40D (both in completely different price brackets). I like the status screen a lot, so the 1.8" screen is not that big of a complaint. The Af assist beam is placed right where your fingers rest, so if you need it you have to move your fingers, but personally I prefer not to have one anyway--the light is annoying and distracting if you are shooting people. All-in-all it is a nice camera with a couple of weaknesses, none of which should stop you from buying it if it is all you can afford.

Jan 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add babyjax14 to your Buddy List
CosmicCruiser

Registered: Aug 20, 2008
Review Date: Dec 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: overall good IQ, ease of use controls, good value, good entry level camera
Cons:
AF not always reliable

This was my first DSLR and I did get the 17-85IS in lieu of the kit lens. That I've been glad about. I did send it to Canon for "soft focus" issues and for $400 I'm not sure if anything is different. I have had problems in low light and there is noise at high ISO. Having said that it's a lot cheaper now than when I bought it and would recommend it as a entry level or travel body.

Dec 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CosmicCruiser to your Buddy List
vve77

Registered: Aug 31, 2008
Review Date: Dec 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality still on par with newer cameras Easy to use Good high ISO performance
Cons:
No dust prevention system Multi-point AF unreliable A bit on the plastic side Built-in flash a bit weak

Despite its age it's still a good DSLR. You can still buy them new, cheap.

The good:

As long as you use a good lens (not the kit lens) on it, the pictures will be great. Controls are well laid out and the menu makes sense. ISO values over 400 are perfectly useful.

The bad:

There's no dust prevention system. If you use all the focus points, there is a high chance it picks the wrong ones. Use the center one only and it will be spot on most of the time.

The body is a bit on the plastic side and the built-in flash could be more powerful.

AF sometimes hunts under backlit conditions. There are some quirks in the controls. In some modes it doesn't take the flash into account when calculating the shutter speed. If you shoot in Tv with the flash enabled, it reports that the shutter speed is too fast. When you take the picture however, the exposure will be correct. In A it will simply not take the flash into account.

Despite some drawbacks, still a great camera.

I'm using the Tamron 17-50 on it.

Dec 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vve77 to your Buddy List
whitetail

Registered: May 21, 2008
Review Date: Aug 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size (for smaller hands), price, great for beginner, decent fps, 1.6x crop, noise processing
Cons:
Balance (especially with Ls), LED light doesn't stay on long enough, Kit lens is awful, AF assist beam placement (dumb!), image quality at times

This was my first DSLR and I've used it for several years. However, I've started reaching the boundaries of its uses, so I'm upgrading to a 40D. This is an awesome camera, despite its drawbacks. It is great for beginners, especially ones just getting into the Canon system.

A few samples of images taken with this camera:

Aug 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add whitetail to your Buddy List
mscottlogan

Registered: Feb 7, 2008
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $675.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I have had this camera for 2 1/2 yrs. I absolutley love it great pictures easy to use extremely dependable, I have had to spend a lot of money on glass bvut don't we all. A friend has the 20D and my pcitures look as good if not better than hers, because of the glass. Would recommend this camera to all types of photographers
Cons:
Only complaint is the grip but can be easily fixed with a battery grip, helps to balance the camera out especially with heavy lenses

Aug 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mscottlogan to your Buddy List
Abdullah M

Registered: Jul 10, 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia
Review Date: Jul 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $640.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight, good image resolution 8MP, long life battery, rear info panel.
Cons:
nothing really!

I bought mine back to 2005, and now I depend on it, only I searching for lenses.

Its very good for price now!
and I recommend it highly.

Jul 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Abdullah M to your Buddy List
Revolver

Registered: Feb 5, 2008
Review Date: Jul 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $337.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to use, good layout and the pictures!
Cons:
No cons yet.

I just got one of these last week from Henry's. I was using a D30 before this and using this is much easier. This is a good budget choice and I imagine it's going to pay for itself within a month, which free's me up to buy even better and keep this as a backup. Have had it a week and probably have taken 1000 pictures.

Jul 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Revolver to your Buddy List
Roberto Cruz

Registered: Jun 7, 2007
Location: Mexico
Review Date: May 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, Image Quality, Price.
Cons:
Shorter Battery Life than the 20D.

I have owned this camera for over two years. It was to be a backup to my Canon 20D.

Much to my surprise I found myself liking this camera the more I used it.

It is very light and small so hiking with it is no problem. The image quality is noiseless and equals the 20D.

There has been much written about the size of this camera and how it is too small for a persons hands. I am a tall man with a tall man's hands and find no problem at all with holding this camera. Because it is so light I often prefer taking this camera out instead of the 20D.

I am very pleased with my purchase of this camera. $ 799.00 American is not bad.

This camera is no 20D and some settings must be accessed through the menus but for the money not too bad.

May 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Roberto Cruz to your Buddy List
Lizstique

Registered: May 26, 2008
Review Date: May 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: good photo quality, good battery life, lightweight, small
Cons:
plastic material starts to wear off, CF storage, small, quickly outdated

I bought the 350D back in '05 and is my very first DSLR or my SLR for that matter.
As a novice in photography I wanted to learn and for that you'll need a decent camera. At the moment I was torn between the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D and after a lot of thinking and saving up money, I decided to go for the Canon for 2 reasons. a) I bought a Nikon compact digital camera back in '01 and was very unpleased with it. I know that digital camera's were just starting to rise, but at the moment the image quality was so bad that I quickly fell back on a compact analog. b) the Canon was suddenly on a 1 day sale for 600 euro.

The overall impression is good. A rather small, light weighted, decent build body. It fits nicely in a small Lowepro shoulderbag and you won't be dragging heavy gear.

However, after 3 years of shooting, it's starting to feel a bit too small; that's why I have it at pro's and con's. As a woman I have rather big hands and the 350 feels okay, but I can imagine that big male hands won't be liking the small form of the 350.

Also, the plastic is starting to discolor(?) or wear off.

Because my knowledge of lenses was like, zero, I bought the 350 with the 18-55 kit lens. Despite all the negative comments, I'd like to say that the lens is O.K. No, it's not L glass and it feels like a toy, but the image quality is somewhat decent, it has a pretty good range and the price is low. For me, it was enough to get me started and save up for new glass.

The build in flash is good, but after a year of annoying shadows, I bought a simple Metz external flash, which really improves the quality of your images.

The 350D uses CF cards as storage media. It's not a bad thing, because it's not that expensive like xD or MemorySticks, except nowadays laptop computers have build in card readers without CF. Of course you can always use the USB cable.

The battery life is amazing; I've never run out of power. (let's hope it'll stay that way Wink)

Like most electronics, a dSLR is quickly outdated and new toys hit the market. At the moment I'm drooling on the 450D mainly because of it's larger display and sensor cleaning, but hey you can't always get what you want Wink

Concluded, the 350D is intended for consumers and I think it lives up to that. It's great for amateur/novices who are introducing themselves into photography and want/need more than simple point and shoot compact camera.

May 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lizstique to your Buddy List
Povilas

Registered: Aug 23, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Review Date: Apr 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $590.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, battery life, ISO performance, ease of use, compatibility with all Canon EF lenses, 8Mp, compatible with 4GB CFs, $$$
Cons:
Too small with large lens

ADVANTAGE:
First, it is very compact and light. Joy to carry (especially with Canon EF 50/1.8 Mk2 lens Smile
Second, it has enormous battery life. I absolutely disagree with others that battery is a disadvantage. It is a clear advantage! I.e. I shoot two days (~800 pictures) with Canon 100-1400 5.6L lens without recharging the battery. I have never ever faced the battery drain problem. Even if I find out that the battery indicator shows one third, I still never face the battery drain problem.
Third, ISO performance up to 800 (including 800) is very very good.
Fourht, you can use all the canon lenses no matter if they are EF or EF-S.
8MP is enough for almost anything.
Compatible with large CF cards. I shoot sports and it takes hundreds of pictures, so 4GB card makes sense.
And, for the price of 570$ I carry it everywhere, and especially to the beach (where shoot kiteboarding). It has no failures what so ever.
Price Smile
DISADVANTAGE:
When mounted with large lens like 100-400L the body is clearly too small for males hand.

Apr 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Povilas to your Buddy List
SteveS76

Registered: Apr 8, 2008
Review Date: Apr 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact for a DSLR. Easy to use, feels good in your hands and handles well. Bright, clear viewfinder. AF system fast and responsive enough for most situations. Excellent images with low noise in the upper ISO ranges (i.e. > 400 ISO). Canon quality and reliability. Excellent value for money, particularly if you can still find a Rebel XT marked down to a close-out price, now that the XSi has come along to replace it.
Cons:
A bit 'plasticky' in spots. Flash is a trifle weak. Battery runs down quickly when shooting RAW images and using a cheap CF card (I know, buy a better CF card!). Limited burst shooting mode. 18-55mm 'kit' lens included with the camera offers decent but not stellar quality, a bit soft at maximum wide-angle and telephoto focal lengths, and could be faster. LCD display on back of camera is a bit small and nearly useless even under overcast skies. Lacks spot metering mode and advanced manual controls.

I've had my Canon Rebel XT for about two weeks now and I'm very happy with it. At a close-out price of $569.00CDN, it represents very good value for money and a compelling alternative to the Nikon D40 and the Olympus E-410, if it isn't a better camera outright.

Even with an 8MP sensor, it generates images that are superior to 99% of the compact (i.e. non-DSLR) cameras out there, even at higher megapixel resolution levels. Much of this has to do with the fact that the XT uses an APS-C sized sensor that is close to five times the size of a standard digicam sensor and uses CMOS technology (Canon is a leader in this area) as opposed to CCD.

The XT is a good camera for the DSLR beginner or someone just getting back into the hobby (that would be me, since for the last 10 years I've wandered around with a point-n-shoot compact digicam and finally broke down and decided to go for a DSLR).

The included 18-55 'kit' lens does have some weaknesses - mostly lack of definitive sharpness at the extreme ends of the lens' focal lengths. It also could be brighter and offer better tonal range. I find that even with photos taken in decent lighting conditions, I often have to use a post-processor like RAW Therapee 2.1 and increase exposure compensation by +0.5 or +1.0 to bring out the highlights and improve tonal range.

The LCD panel on the back of the camera is very small and lacks sufficient brightness to cope in even cloudy, overcast lighting conditions. In fairness to Canon, though, this is a problem common to many 2nd-generation DSLR's and in the case of the XT, has much to do with the compact body size. Compare a Canon D40 body with an XT and you'll see what I mean.

However, the lens quality and other issues I've raised are really minor quibbles, as I'm getting very good results with the Rebel XT.

Overall, this is an excellent camera for the money. Anyone who buys a Rebel XT should be very happy with it. One of the reasons why I've consistently bought Canon cameras over the last twenty years is because of their quality, reliability and affordability.

Apr 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SteveS76 to your Buddy List
codetalker

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Mar 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Great entry level camera
Cons:
Too easy to inadvertently change the shooting mode to self-timer

I'm feeling pretty nostalgic for this camera since I am receiving a 5D and the 350D was my first DSLR. I've learned quite a bit by using it and believe that it was a great entry level choice. I've won some amateur contests with some of the prints from the 350D. (Note that I initially did not get the kit lens and went with the 28-135 IS). The camera has well over 10,000 exposures and I have never had any issues with it. I do recommend getting an outboard flash (I have the 430EX) since inherently the onboard flash tends to generate more red-eye.

Mar 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add codetalker to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 53745 Nov 11, 2011