Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 54003 Nov 11, 2011
8.8
rebel_xt

For convenience, ease of use and no-compromise SLR performance, look no further than the EOS Digital Rebel XT. Featuring Canon's Digital Trinity - an 8.0 Megapixel CMOS sensor, Canon's own DIGIC II Image Processor and compatibility with over 50 EF Lenses-the new Digital Rebel XT has an all new lightweight and compact body, improved performance across the board and the easiest operation in its class, simplifying complex tasks and ensuring the perfect shot every time. With intuitive simplicity, powerful performance and unprecedented affordability, the Rebel XT is the EOS digital camera for everyone.

--------------

* High-performance digital SLR with 8.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor
* Smallest and lightest EOS Digital SLR to date (as of February 2005)
* Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with a 14 frame burst and 0.2 second startup time
* High-speed, Wide-area 7-point AF with superimposed focusing points
* User-selectable metering patterns, AF modes, custom functions and flash exposure compensation
* Direct Print support with PictBridge compatible printers
* USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for quick downloads
* Compatible with more than 50 EF and EF-S Lenses and most EOS System accessories including EX-series Speedlites and a dedicated Battery Grip

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

EKN_2005

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: good entry-level camera, good image quality, lightweight and great as a travel camera
Cons:
controls not as easy to control one-handed as the 20D/30D/5D; could use more focus points; uncomfortable to hold unless you have the optional BG-E3

I bought the Japanese version "KISS DIGITAL N," which included the 18-55mm USM lens & 55-200mm lens, a cheap SLIK tripod, a 1gig CF card, a hip-pack and a how-to-use a DSLR book.

I had never used an SLR before this purchase. I'd say this camera is great for beginners. I started off using the preset modes for people and scenery. After a couple of months of shooting, I got familiar with the AV and TV modes.

It's been about a year now and these days I only shoot in manual mode. However, I've noticed that it's rather difficult to change the settings (i.e. aperture, ISO speed, focus points) in manual mode when compared to the 20D/30D.

The 350 is a wonderful camera, but now that I feel comfortable shooting in manual mode, I'd much rather have a 20D/30D.

Oct 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EKN_2005 to your Buddy List
Levendis

Registered: May 19, 2006
Review Date: Oct 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Capable of great picture quality, easy to use, easy to handle, inexpensive
Cons:
LCD a bit small at 1.8", battery status only has three steps (incl. empty), needed a software patch to fix automative shutoff bug, doesn't feel as luxurious in your hand than a more expensive

Been using this camera for more than a year now, about 1,500 pictures, 80 shoots. I use it for shooting pets, people, landscapes, hiking, wildlife; 35mm1.2, 50mm1.4, EFS10-22, 24-70mm2.8, 70-200mm2.8. The camera's versatility is impressive.

Very high proportion of shots are great straight out of the camera. Pin sharp A4 prints, great color rendition. Light, quick and easy to use, this camera has never been a bottleneck to the quality of my photos. Great for hikes due to light-weight and ruggedness (survived many bangs). I find the size the grip acceptable although clearly the bigger cameras will be more comfortable for guys.

Cons:
- LCD screen which is small by 2006 standards.
- Review function is not as intuitive as Nikon's when it comes to checking focus accuracy.
- No Kelvin presets but not much of a problem since it gets it right most of the time, and if shooting RAW not a problem at all.
- dust does accumulate but not a big problem since I seldom use very small apertures.

Overall:
This camera is one of the best purchases I made in 2005. Still can't think of a reason why I should upgrade this body unless maybe the next generation of 5D or 30D comes out.

Oct 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Levendis to your Buddy List
wakeboardertj

Registered: Mar 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A great entry level dslr, great for beginners. I've learned a ton on this camera .
Cons:
the eyepiece is kind of small, anything past ISO 800 gets kind of grainy, If you have large hands, better plan on buying the battery grip, its a must.

I love this camera, it was great to learn on but i feel like I'm ready to upgrade to the 30d. The main thing that bugs me is the ISO preformance past 800 because i shoot a lot of low light sports. the price can't be beat though.

Oct 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wakeboardertj to your Buddy List
FighterPilot

Registered: Dec 21, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Value, Weight, Size
Cons:
Size (Grip can be alittle small), Dark LCD screen.

After getting back my pictures taken during the Oshkosh airshow using a disposable camera, I was very disapointed, not only did half of the shots turn out bad, I had paid so much to get them developed. This pushed me over the edge to buy the 350D.

I am so happy with this camera, it has gotten me interested in photography and I am enjoying it. It has everything an amature needs in a DSLR. If your thinking of buying a camera, you wouldn't go wrong buying this one.

Oct 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FighterPilot to your Buddy List
mckytm

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great entry-level DSLR, good high ISO performance, excellent image quality, solid build quality (at least next to the 300D), fantastic price.
Cons:
Setting up custom white balance can be a pain. No PC sync. No Kelvin setting. Some accessories aren't compatible with higher-end models. Small LCD. Smallish grip. These are all minor quibbles though - for the price, you still can't go wrong :)

I got my 350D around August of last year. This was after a trip to Europe with a digicam -- after seeing all the sights, I promised myself I'd take up "more serious" photography. Luckily I got one of these DSLRs for my birthday.

After a year with this baby, I can't remember life without it! It's taken around 15,000 pictures already -- some crappy, but mostly amazing! Moving up from a compact P/S, the differences were night and day Smile I also got to use a 300D while "waiting" for the 350D, and I love the latter's build quality. The shutter sounds more solid, and the body is definitely less plasticky (albeit a bit more compact).

After reading a lot on the internet, I wisely held off on upgrading my body, instead concentrating on upgrading my lenses and accessories - first a 50/1.8, then an EF-S 17-85, then a 430EX, then a 70-200/4L, then a 580EX, and finally selling all my lenses and purchasing an EF-S 17-55. And with each successive lens my "Oohs" and "Aahs" just kept getting better.

I finally had the chance to play with a 30D for an extended period of time recently... and strangely, I found it less user-friendly than the 350D. I know people have complained about the menu system of the 350D vs. the more "intuitive" dials of the 20D/30D. But I guess I've just gotten used to the button pressing that comes with the 350D.

My complaints are few and far between. Lack of a PC sync slot means that I'm stuck with Canon Speedlites for shooting off-camera (don't really want to use hotshoe adapters). The LCD didn't bother me before (back when 1.8" was standard), but now it's really small for a DSLR. Some accessories are "350D-only" (i.e. infrared remote); these won't work if I decide to upgrade. Setting a custom WB can take a while -- and why can't it have the Kelvin setting (same as the 20D/30D)? The grip was kinda small when I started out, and felt even smaller after getting some "larger" lenses -- solved this problem with the battery grip.

(On a related note, after using the grip for many months I've forgotten how to take blur-free pics without a vertical shutter button!)

I'm saving up for a nicer telephoto lens before getting a new DSLR (probably a 70-200/4 IS, or a 2.8) -- but I'll probably keep the 350D as a dedicated 2nd body. Lots of memories that have been blown up to 8" x 12", or 12" x 18" Smile

I'm giving it a 9.5, so rounded up that's a 10. You may disagree with my '10' rating -- but at the time I purchased this, you couldn't find anything comparable for the price! Sure, some other bodies were tougher, larger, less plasticky... but how much more did they cost? Smile

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mckytm to your Buddy List
mbailey

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: compact size, light weight, surprisingly durable, relitively low cost, good iso performance, good battery life, 1.6X crop makes telephotos longer.
Cons:
Kit lens is bad, menu/button interface awkward, 1.6X crop makes wide angles tough.

I purchased this camera to reintroduce myself to photography after a 20 year hiatus. Once I found I wanted to pursue photography as a hobby again, I wanted a more substantial camera. I currently use this for a backup for my 5D. I frequently use it in situations where Iam using long telephoto/zoom lenses. I also use it in situations where Iam afraid my 5D might become damaged or lost. My wife (who has no hobby interest in photography) uses it for her primary camera for school/children photography.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbailey to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Oct 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent value, great image quality (same as 20/30D really)
Cons:
A shade too small, silly way of changing flash exposure controls & mirror lockup (again), rear buttons could have been better thought out

I bought the 350D as a travel cam and it is just great. Very small (a little too small perhaps) fast in use and with excellent image quality.

Working at the top of a tall tripod I actually prefer the 1-series style rear menus to having stuff on the top.

I wasn't sure about doing without a rear dial but I've got used to it and the batteries and charger are really small too. Considering what this little camera can do I think it's probably underpriced!

If Canon could have incorporated an easy way to alter the flash control without having to delve into menus I'd have given it 10's all around

Oct 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
sots

Registered: Jul 13, 2005

Pros: This is a review of the 350D/Rebel XT, not the 300D as stated. Great camera, light & compact (which I find to be a very good thing for non-lumberjacks), excellent IQ, low price.
Cons:
The kit lens is absolutely worthless. It underrates this camera immensely because anything you shoot with it seems to just magically look terrible.

This is a review of the 350D, since I couldn't find anywhere else to put it and I saw some similar reviews here.

I think there's a lot of good information out there on this camera already, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I absolutely love this camera, and I'm having a very hard time upgrading to a 20D-- contrary to all previous planning, now that it's time to make the "leap" (which is really more of a small shimmy in many people's opinions) to a 20D, I can't bring myself to do it.

It's already been stated that the IQ is excellent. Literally the only issue I've had with the camera ever is with shooting outdoors at high ISOs in near-dark, at which point everything does look a bit grainy, but of course that's to be expected.

What I wanted to add are responses to what seem to be the two most common complaints.

#1. Image Quality--- People complain that the cameras images are unimpressive. They have also never tried using the camera with a lens that cost over $60.00 or the kit lens. 'Nuff said.

#2. Its too tiny and feels plasticy--- I've heard that so much, and I'm sure for many males with hands on the larger side who are used to big hefty 20Ds the XT would feel strange. That could easily be solved with a battery grip. For many women however I believe the size of the XT is great. I can hold it much more securely than a 20D, which I still can't quite get my hands around. The plastic also makes it light, which, when your favorite lens is a 70-200L IS, is very very nice. Smile

Oct 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sots to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 54003 Nov 11, 2011