Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 53997 Nov 11, 2011
8.8
rebel_xt

For convenience, ease of use and no-compromise SLR performance, look no further than the EOS Digital Rebel XT. Featuring Canon's Digital Trinity - an 8.0 Megapixel CMOS sensor, Canon's own DIGIC II Image Processor and compatibility with over 50 EF Lenses-the new Digital Rebel XT has an all new lightweight and compact body, improved performance across the board and the easiest operation in its class, simplifying complex tasks and ensuring the perfect shot every time. With intuitive simplicity, powerful performance and unprecedented affordability, the Rebel XT is the EOS digital camera for everyone.

--------------

* High-performance digital SLR with 8.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor
* Smallest and lightest EOS Digital SLR to date (as of February 2005)
* Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with a 14 frame burst and 0.2 second startup time
* High-speed, Wide-area 7-point AF with superimposed focusing points
* User-selectable metering patterns, AF modes, custom functions and flash exposure compensation
* Direct Print support with PictBridge compatible printers
* USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for quick downloads
* Compatible with more than 50 EF and EF-S Lenses and most EOS System accessories including EX-series Speedlites and a dedicated Battery Grip

elader

Registered: Oct 1, 2005
Review Date: Nov 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great first dSLR. Capable of astounding images. Has all the features of it's big brothers.Great size for travel. Very solid feel.
Cons:
Grip too small for my hands. Autofocus is NOT as good as on the 20D, 30D, XTi. Viewfinder smaller than the 20D/30D. Some settings hard to get to with menu system.

I owned this camera for about 9 months and took about 5000 pictures. There is certainly a learning curve with all dSLRs and much of my early dissatisfaction with this camera was really my lousy technique. Except for it's size (too small for my hands) and it's more convoluted path to certain camera control options, it's a terrific camera. Personally, I really like the top mounted LCD on the 20D/30D and am glad I switched. I find my keeper rate is higher with the full size camera and attribute that to the better AF system on the 20D (which has been added to the XTi).

If this form factor is good for you, I would suggest the XTi would be the way to go unless you get a really terrific deal on the XT.

Nov 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add elader to your Buddy List
RoDaBi

Registered: Mar 17, 2006
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Nov 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, light, fantastic image quality, clean ISO 1600
Cons:
No high-precision AF at and above f/2.8, Plastic build, a bit too small.

I've been using it for just about a year now and I've never had any problems with it. It's a fantastic little camera, and coupled with the battery grip, it makes an excellent companion to shoot with. The quiet shutter, compatibility with all EF and EF-S lenses are an added plus. I wish the AF could be faster, and the build could be better, at times - but you get what you pay for.

Nov 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RoDaBi to your Buddy List
northernlight

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Oct 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, light, fast, large buffer, vertical grip, accurate LCD
Cons:
plastic fantastic, small eyefinder (typical)

Seriously... rocking my world everytime i use it. Wont bother upgrading to an 400D because this piece of tool is still getting the work done... and what results its producing.

Oct 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add northernlight to your Buddy List
paknip

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, Great Pictures, Low Noise
Cons:
Small viewfinder

Great DSLR for beginners. Started my digital photography with this camera and couldn't ask for more. Great camera for genaral photography but performance wise, should go for other models.

Now my 350D has become my backup since I upgraded to 20D but still I love this camera...

Oct 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paknip to your Buddy List
Sam_S

Registered: Aug 21, 2006
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, 3.5 Fps, 8 Mp, Low Noise, Great beginner DSLR, Compact.
Cons:
Small Grip, Rather Plasticky, White Balance (time to time), small viewfinder (though it does not bug me).

I started out DSLR photography with this camera and it was a great choice. The price also is very appropriate which was another reason why I chose it. I've taken 37'000 pictures so far.

Size has always been an issue. I have relatively small hands so the grip/size was not a big problem for me, though the grip gets really annoying when you have a big lens on the camera such as the 100-400L.

It's a great everyday camera and can be used almost everywhere. I use it mainly for aviation photography and it does the job. The AI focus, especially the AI Servo is a bit slow for sport photography. I would recommend the 20/30D line for sport photographers, its worth the extra money. I had the choice between the 20D and the 350D and I went for the lower price. I do not regret it, but today, with a better understanding of DSLR photography I notice the mistake I made.

The small LCD on the back never bothered me. A lot of people complain about it's size but most LCDs don't display the image correctly and its best to just wait till you are on a PC. The LCD is good to check how the image turned out overall.

I started out with this camera in November 2005. I got the kit lens with it and a 75-300mm USM III. I still use the kit lens today as a small range lens even though I am thinking of replacing it with something better. It is not the best lens but It did the job for my first wide lens. The 75-300mm USM III was a nasty lens and I should of done more research about it. I did not want to upgrade the body just yet so today i've entered the L club of lenses and own a 100-400L. I am currently look at a smaller L lenses to replace my 18-55, but before that a 30D or maybe the someday "40D" will replace the 350D. The image quality has never been an issue and is perfectly satisfactory.

My demands exceed what the 350D is capable of, but i've never had bad experiences with the camera. I am soon to purchase the 30D and will always use the 350D as a back-up and look back at it as a good camera with positive experiences with it.

I recommend this camera to someone that is new to DSLRs or does not need it for (rather fast moving) sport photography. It does the job for almost everything else.

Oct 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sam_S to your Buddy List
ursr

Registered: Jan 27, 2006
Review Date: Oct 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Works as advertised, can produce excellent results with a good lens, ok at higher ISO, good entry-level product.
Cons:
Cheap feeling, battery grip too expensive (but recommended), interface not very user friendly.

I bought this DSLR, my first, a bit over a year ago. Before that, I had been occasionally shooting 35mm and medium format, including darkroom processing (b&w).
With a good lens (probably not the kit lens) and proper handling, this camera can produce excellent results.
I agree, the viewfinder is tiny and dim, low light AF might be better, 3 fps is a bit slow, and weather sealing is non-existent - but that’s o.k. at this price level for me.

Oct 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ursr to your Buddy List
Ben Sawyer

Registered: Sep 10, 2006
Review Date: Oct 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, good for trips, good pictures, good learning tool, canon mount
Cons:
Small, viewfinder size

Like many others this was my first camera. Yes, it has a very small grip, but if you are upgrading from P&S, and have never used a DSLR before, you may not notice. (The battery grip helps wonders with the size). Many people complain about this, but being a skier, biker, and rock climber, sometimes having a small, light camera is not such a bad thing. Good image quality. Not as sturdy as a 1-series, but for the price, it's a pretty good deal. Fits all canon lenses, great for getting in some experience before upgrading cameras. Amazing first camera. Loved it and would recommend for anyone looking to improve their skills.

Oct 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ben Sawyer to your Buddy List
phannguyen702

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Oct 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: digit II chip, 8MP, 3FPS,
Cons:
feels small and light, cheap plastic.

I bought this camera because of the features and its price. So far I am very happy with it. I was able to take some nice photos with it. If you got the right lens then this camera will shine.

Oct 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phannguyen702 to your Buddy List
Rigardt

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Oct 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: CMOS technology, Canon lense line-up
Cons:
Bit small

Beware of this camera. Very aware. It's use will certainly lead to the purchase of many expensive lenses and more advanced bodies. I started on the 350 and learned a lot about photography. I have since moved on to a 30D and find it tough to sing it's praises having fired a few thousand shots with the 30D.

I guess the best way to describe the 350/XT would be to say that there is nothing wrong with the technology. It's just not quite as easy to use as the bigger and more advanced bodies. Prior to purchasing the 30D I would have provided this camera with a very flowery report.

Perhaps a bit small, perhaps not as easy to adjust manual settings while shooting, perhaps not a lot of info in the viewfinder, perhaps this and that. If you get to know it, it is not that difficult to manage at all and I have taken many great (IMHO) pictures with it. This has become my back-up. Still like it very much, but hardly ever use it.

It is a perfect beginners camera and I had such a strong affinity for it that I cannot get rid of it. It still rides the bag!

Oct 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rigardt to your Buddy List
DirtRider

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap yet very capable
Cons:
None warranted at this price

This is my first DSLR. I tend to do a lot of research on things (especially with electronics) before I buy them. I decided on the XT and it has surpassed my expectations.
I was kind of a backup photographer at my brothers wedding and after comparing pictures mine were better than the professional he hired. Even his bride agreed Smile. Of course I read plenty about how to use a dslr but there is no substitute for experience and at that point I didn't have much. The fact that I got such great pictures being such a newbie was certainly encouraging.
Since then I have accumulated a decent array of lenses with my prized possession being the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. When you boil it down this camera can do just about anything that the higher priced crop bodies can and it costs much less. Overall, you will get a much better picture at the same price by spending the extra money on good lenses. If money is no object then by all means spend the premium for the few added benefits but if you want the best bang for the buck slr this is very hard to beat. I certainly don't know anyone who would consider it a bad choice.

Oct 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DirtRider to your Buddy List
ray_lam5

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good resolution, perfectly capable little SLR, Good learning tool, Affordable, Canon mount
Cons:
White Balance, Build, Plastic, Size, Not worth the money for what you get!

Entry level product with a high cost/ performance ratio but low build/cost ratio. Capable of good pictures with good lens but really needs the vertical grip. Compared to the cheaper Nikon entry level D50 the build really sucks. I think canon could improve the quality of the build without increasing the size and still make a healthy profit. It does tend to feel cheap though the main strength is producing fantastic images which fortunately this camera is capable of. Overall recommended for those comtemplating digital phography wanting a high quality camera, not bothered about the build and happy to upgrade in the future.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray_lam5 to your Buddy List
Leginmat

Registered: Nov 21, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good beginner DSLR, Price, 8.0 MP, Compactness and Light Weight, Battery Life.
Cons:
Tiny Eyepiece, Small in my hands, Plastic Body, Annoying/Slow Menu Buttons

Like plenty of others, this was my very first Camera (Purchased in August '05) and also my first experience in the DSLR world. Of course, being a beginner, I was certainly pumped and excited when it arrived but I received an 'ERR 99' before I even started shooting. After returning it to Canon, I got it back in working order...after 2-3 months wait.

The camera is certainly an excellent choice for beginners and certainly taught me a lot about the DSLR features. After over a years use, I'm still happy with it, although I'm still attempting to save for a 30D!

I did find some small, minor difficulties such as the buttons being quite a pain to function, a small eyepiece and it's quite small in my hands.

The image quality is amazing! I mainly use it for Aviation purposes with a Sigma 100-300mm F/4 EX lens and the quality is nothing to complain about.

Until I am able to purchase a more professional camera, this small DSLR still serves me well!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Leginmat to your Buddy List
MenulioTiusis

Registered: Oct 11, 2006
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good IQ, fast and reliable operation, so so battery life (~700 pics without flash), light and small (there drawbacks of these aspects), outstanding high ISO quality.
Cons:
Small viewfinder, small body (though after a year I became really satisfied with it), plastic finish, ISO/AF/WB/Size changing requires SET button confirmation.

I had choosen 350D rather than D50. After trying Nikon for a longer time this summer, I finally decided, that my decision was really good.

I like almost everything in my 350D, except viewfinder. I even got used to small handgrip and it does not annoy me anymore, it became very comfortable in fact. But viewfinder is bad... It's no worse than those used in D50/D70, but D80 has a much much better one. Canon will suffer, if they do not put something better in a descendant of 400D... New Pentaxes and Nikons are performing MUCH better... Kill Canon:)

Well, all in all, after taking more than 32 000 pictures, I love my dSLR... I'm thinking of upgrading to 20D, though it would be better to invest to equipment, I think...

By the way, I used my 350D for landscape, portrait, event and wedding photography. Some studio work as well...

Recommended...

p.s. I've tried 400D for a while. I think, that 350D is a better camera.... (noises and cost versus anti-dust, bigger LCD and no SET confirmation)

Oct 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MenulioTiusis to your Buddy List
six100

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Features, 8 megapixels, size (a negative on one side and a plus on the other - for portability). Great camera to switch from P&S to d-SLR.
Cons:
None for what you pay but I would love it bundled with PC-synchro port, slightly bigger body (when used with big lenses it becomes sort of unconfortable and unprecise) and a brighter screen,

I switch from P&S with this camera. Found it to be an awesome compromise between price and features. No negatives about it except for one time I wanted to connect a radio slave trigger for a flash & of course coulndīt because of the lack of a PC-Synchro port (you can solve this by using a shoe to PC adapter though, but at the time I chose not to do it). Besides that, I think itīs a solid product. Sold it about 4 months ago to get a 30D. The 400D seems to be an even better deal nowadays.

Some pics taken with it & a Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM lens:

XT + Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 EX DG Macro:

XT + Tamron AF70-300 F/4-5.6 LD Macro (low Q lens but another good beginnerīs deal for around 100u$s):

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add six100 to your Buddy List
trevbreak

Registered: Sep 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great beginners camera. Sharp optics with a good lens attached. Wide range of features and abilities. Has a great range of lenses and accessories.
Cons:
Many people (including myself) find it a little small, plastic body isn't as durable as a metal one, 7 AF points are ok but I wish it had more, LCD screen can be hard to view in direct sunlight.

I bought my 350D with twin lens kit for $1225 AUD (~$900 USD) in July and its been great.

My shutter actuations are already at a modest 7,000 shots and I continually be amazed with what this camera has helped me with my photography (going from a P&S to a DSLR, the speed increase is simply amazing!)

A downside I didn't put into my list of cons above is the fact that you will waste LOTS of money on lenses soon after buying this (or any other) DSLR

Oct 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trevbreak to your Buddy List
Nick De Marco

Registered: Jun 13, 2006

Pros: Price, image quality, mobility
Cons:
Too tiny and light

My first DSLR.

Bought only a few months back (March), but got me hooked on digital photography. I loved it so much I started buying lenses like there was no tomorrow. Gradually, though (or not gradually enough for my wallet) I yearned for a better camera, both in terms of build and quality. In the end I took the plunge, jumped the 30D and bought a 5D - but less than 6 months after buying this and various cropped sensor lenses that I now no longer will really use.

Having used and fell in love with my 5D it is difficult to take this camera as seriously as before. However, having compiled an equipment gallery of various photos taken with different cameras (http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/equipment), I recall that most of my best pictures so far are taken with this camera. For the price it is fantastic. The image quality is great and if you buy a battery holder it is much better for handling.

Here is my gallery dedicated to the 350D:

Oct 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nick De Marco to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 53997 Nov 11, 2011