222 428980 Jun 21, 2014
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34°- 12°(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72ΒΊ)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp and effective IS
Cons:
Pricy

This is a lens that produce same sharpness at F4 and F8 ! (different DOV - bokeh of course) What else do you want out of it? The only thing I think can be improved is the hood. Both the IS and the non-IS version have a loosely attached hood, and the pouch come with the lens is useless.

This lens is very light (just like the non-IS version) and can be easily carried around on a whole day hiking. Focus, color and contrast are what you can expected from L glass. I use it for both landscape and portraiture/candid. Just love it.

Dec 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List

Review Date: Dec 8, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,160.00

Pros: Exceptional in all respect, a perfect 10! Its like having multiple primes in one package!! Can be successfully use as macro lens.
Cons:
Canon don’t have 67mm Close-Up lens for this zoom, you have no choice but to use Extension tubes (inherent light loss) for macro work. Tripod collar should have been included.
Dec 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hitendra to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,160.00

Nov 26, 2007
Steve Spencer

Registered: Nov 7, 2006
Review Date: Nov 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, sharp, great color, everything you could want in a zoom except a 2.8 aperture.
Cons:

This lens has been fantastic to use. I have used it for about a month now and I have no complaints whatsoever. A fabulous lens.

Nov 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steve Spencer to your Buddy List
Ken Goh

Registered: Sep 25, 2007
Review Date: Nov 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness and contrast at all apertures. Perfect compromise between built and weight. IS is a miracle. As good as it can get!
Cons:
I wish if the DOF can be shallower, but this is limited by its F4 aperture.

Heard about this legendary lens and was browsing through this review site. Was thinking" How can this be true? How can a zoom lens be this optically perfect?"

I am a 5D user and my 24-105mmL F4 IS was mounted on my camera all the time. At the point of purchase, the 24-105mm L was all the lens I have wanted. My copy was perfect, sharp from F4 onwards. I do not fancy bringing alot of equipment out and changing lens. I was very happy with it for it is giving me very good image quality for 95% of the range I always shoot.

While I was browsing the net for technical stuffs, reviews of 70-200mm F4 kept popping up and it slowly grabbed my attention. There are too many fantastic reviews on this lens and there must be really something abt it.

Although it is not a range I often use, I finally took the plunge, just to see it for myself. And I must say that this lens is as good as the reviews said them to be!!!

The sharpness, colour and contrast is simply fantastic! My copy is sharp from F4 onwards, and there is no discernable difference closing down. I have no hesitation using F4 all the time, except when situations where more DOF is required. The image quality, (sadly to me), brings my 24-105mm L to shame. The difference can be viewed through the LCD, and to me, that is obvious. It makes me suspect if my 24-105 is a bad copy! I still like the 24-105mm for the range it covers, but clearly there are of a different league.

After acquiring this lens, I notice that I am mounting it more, and are taking pictures out of my usual range.

With regards to the built, I think Canon has done a great job. It is the perfect enbodiment of built and weight. The lens is very light in my opinion and yet is of excellent built. Any better built, it will have to be heavier. The zoom is buttery smooth and AF is very quick.

About the IS.... I think I can't live without it. It has allowed me to take photos of situations technically impossible before. The IS in this lens is also better than that of the 24-105mm. For the style of photography I do, IS is a dream. It allows me to keep shooting while others have to pack their gear. I would strongly encourage anyone to consider the IS version. Although it is much pricier, it is still worth the difference. Ask yourself, how many times is your shutter speed below 1/30th of a second and you can't have a reasonably sharp shot? With IS, you CAN!!! How I wish all lens come with IS.

I also notice I have been shooting at 200mm F4 alot of the times, because I prefer the perspective and bokeh. I do wish for the DOF to be shallower, but this is inherent in an F4 lens. Planning to get the EF 100mm F2 next. (not no IS!)

Summary: This lens is as good as they said! If the range is useful for you and F4 aperture does not pose a problem, do not hesitate. Don't forget to get the IS version.

Nov 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ken Goh to your Buddy List
sven rose

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Nov 4, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: fast AF, IS, IQ and so on - very usable with Kenko Teleconverter 1.4x and as "macro" (close-up) lens with Extender rings.
Cons:
white color

With the 40D (fast AF, 6.5fps): the combo delivers very good in tracking moving subjects (perfect would be with the 1DMKIII I think):

Nov 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sven rose to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,160.00 | Rating: 10

Nov 1, 2007
Phil UKNet

Registered: Oct 20, 2007
Review Date: Oct 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, size, weight, consistency, reliability, ease of use
Cons:

In 25 years of photography, this is the finest lens I have owned to date. It is exceptional and, for what it gives me, I don't regard it as being overpriced.

I upgraded from the non-IS version purely for the benefit of IS, not expecting a great improvement in image quality, but whatever Canon has done with the lens coatings, or such, the improvement in the areas of contrast, colour and sharpness are quite noticeable.

I can carry this lens around with me all day, along with a 1.6x crop body and a 17-40mm and not suffer any backache as I do if I also take along my 300mm F4 L IS.

The 17-40mm and the 70-200mm F4 L IS are sufficient for almost all my needs. If I think I might need a little more reach I use the Canon Extender 1.4x II which is light and works well with the 70-200 although focusing with this combination on my 10D isn't as consistent compared to using the lens without the converter.

Oct 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phil UKNet to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Oct 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $440.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Affordable, at $440 used for me, it's a great starter zoom lens...gets your feet wet with "L" quality.
Cons:
None really...see I can't say that it needs a lot of light or is poor indoors, because that's what the 2.8 and double the cost if for.

I will do as many others have done and that's use this as a beginner/break-in zoom until I'm ready for the IS and/or F2.8 versions.

I have sample shots with this lens under the Gallery Folder called Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L here: http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/

Lex

Oct 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
perpera

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Oct 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP, SHARP, SHARP. Image Stabilizer amazingly effective.
Cons:

very VERY amazingly sharp wide open and from corner to corner. IQ couldn't be better. Expensive but worth the price.
The IS is the best of any IS lens I ever tried, four f/stop for handheld shots is real and I do not have the steadiest of hands.
Highly recommended for anybody who is looking for a lightweight, very high performance tele-zoom.

Oct 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add perpera to your Buddy List
nadeeda

Registered: Sep 2, 2007
Review Date: Sep 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,159.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight. Very sharp with good color and contrast. Fast focussing
Cons:
Focus tends to hunt in low light. Noisy IS. Tripod ring should be given as a standard accessory, not to be sold separately.

Sep 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nadeeda to your Buddy List
toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Sep 18, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: high resolution, is, build quality, sealing, sharp, great colors, fast
Cons:
white, big hood
Sep 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List
hewcanon

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Sep 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens is perfect in all departments. Extremely sharp . I owned the 200L and this one is better .. Very fast .. Air and water tight .. light weight .. IS is perfect .. What can I say .. Best lens Canon ever produced I would say

Sep 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hewcanon to your Buddy List
terryf13

Registered: Apr 26, 2002
Review Date: Sep 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,060.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight and easy to handle. Extremely quick focusing on my 40D. Very sharp images with good contrast. I am entirely pleased with this lens - as many reviewers have aleady said; this is an excellent optic.
Cons:
I can not think of anything to complain about other than the price.

Sep 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add terryf13 to your Buddy List
wfr2

Registered: May 14, 2003
Review Date: Sep 1, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: image quality, focusing speed, size
Cons:
not wild about the big hood

This is an update to my prior rave review. I have now tried it with a 1.4xTC and am amazed at how good the IQ remains. I am so haqppy with it that I may sell my 100-400 which is sharp only up to 300 anyway and does not do well with a TC.

Sep 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wfr2 to your Buddy List
rogerw1

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Aug 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb piece of engineering, everything anyone could wish for. All I need is the experience to match its quality !.
Cons:
You seem to need long fingernails to get the lens cap of.

Aug 22, 2007