223 430096 Nov 12, 2014
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34°- 12°(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72ΒΊ)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

deeslk

Registered: Mar 12, 2009
Review Date: Mar 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Fast AF, Great Contrast and Extremely Sharp with the latest IS from Canon
Cons:
Wish it took 77mm filters, it's 67mm

A wonderfully sharp lens, a pleasure to shoot with. Can be handheld easily for hours because of the light weight.

Mar 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add deeslk to your Buddy List
dj_stv

Registered: Mar 5, 2009
Location: Romania
Review Date: Mar 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,105.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: - Extremely sharp, even wide open; - Very light, compared to its older brothers; - Price; - IS (I took sharp shots even at 1/15 @ 200mm, but I have a really steady hand).
Cons:
- Relatively slow, compared to f/2.8, but that's only if you shoot sports or photojournalism.

One of the best lenses I have ever owned. Besides the fact that it's sharp even at f/4.0, it covers an excellent focal length.

I have used it mainly for studio portraiture and I must say it's PERFECT for that.

Mar 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dj_stv to your Buddy List
six66

Registered: Mar 1, 2008
Review Date: Mar 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: weight, sharpness, 4 stop IS & build quality
Cons:
price, f4, cheap looking hood, filter size

i sold off my 70-200 f2.8 IS for this lens and i never looked back!

why f4 IS?
half the weight
slightly sharper wide open
better IS and did i mention its half the weight of 2.8 IS??

what i'd miss?
the lovely bokeh on 2.8
the hood
77mm filter size i share among my other L's

simply a great lens .. and the envy of my Nikon friends

Mar 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add six66 to your Buddy List
Photograff

Registered: Feb 11, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Mar 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, IS, excellent build
Cons:
price

This lens, one of the favorite, although my main genre is landscape imagery and the focal length 70-200 I use rarely, but when I use it I get great pleasure from this lens. I bought it since the appearance in Russia, this is the beginning of 2007. Feedback was not and I almost venture to, and are 100% satisfied. The technical characteristics of this lens is great.

Canon EOS 5D + Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
f/4, Focal length 105 mm - http://www.bfoto.ru/bfoto_ru_254.php

1/83 s, Aperture value f/11.3, Focal length 92 mm - http://www.bfoto.ru/bfoto_ru_390.php

Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL+ Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Shutter speed value 1/200 s, Aperture value f/8, Focal length 200 mm - http://www.bfoto.ru/bfoto_ru_81.php

and portraits taken with this lens http://www.bfoto.ru/portret.php

Mar 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Photograff to your Buddy List
malla1962

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Feb 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, sharpnes,IS,contrast and weather sealing.
Cons:
price

I needed to cut some weight from my bag for travel so got this lens
to save me taking my 2.8Lis on long flights. I am not a great lover of zooms but sometimes I need to use them, When canon made this zoom they got it right, and I like everything about it, some people have commented about the lack a tripod ring but I don't think it neads one, lets face it the 24-70L hos no tripod mount and weighs
a lump more.

Feb 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add malla1962 to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Feb 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: • Sharpness • Clarity • Ease of handling • Image Stabilization
Cons:

I will only add the following to what others have said about the remarkable 70-200 f/4L IS:

There is a certainly clarity to the images that isn't quite matched by any of my other Canon lenses. It's as if someone stripped away a slight haze that has existed between my 1Ds II and some of my images.

This lens delivers truly stellar performance. If f/4 is fast enough for you, then have no doubt about the 70-200 f/4L IS.

Feb 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
ajitpalsingh

Registered: Jan 27, 2009
Location: India
Review Date: Feb 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness; Well built; Very fast auto focus
Cons:
Tripod collar not supplied; Price

Canon's top of the line lens with outstanding performance, but of course with a hefty price tag.
Excellent sharpness across the entire focal range, with very fast focusing.
Solid bulletproof body design with weather proofing to an extent. The 'IS' really helps when shooting outdoors handheld without a tripod.

The only downside is that 'f4' may not be as fast as its 'f2.8' counterpart in low light conditions or action photography.

Also, in spite of this being an 'L' lens Canon does not supply a tripod collar along with this lens. It has to be purchased separately. Tripod collars can give extreme stability to such kind of lenses when used on a tripod.

Would like to share some shots with my Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM on my Canon XTi:

Feb 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ajitpalsingh to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper than most primes across whole zoom range, lightweight, excellent build.
Cons:
f4, no tripod collar included.

No complaints about this one, it's as good as everyone says.

Jan 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
Hitendra

Registered: Feb 15, 2007
Location: India
Review Date: Jan 25, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,160.00

Pros: Exceptional in all respect, a perfect 10! Its like having multiple primes in one package!! Can be successfully use as macro lens.
Cons:
Canon don’t have 67mm Close-Up lens for this zoom, you have no choice but to use Extension tubes (inherent light loss) for macro work. Tripod collar should have been included.
Jan 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hitendra to your Buddy List
ComairCRJ700

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Light weight, IS well-performing, great travel lens for telephoto needs.
Cons:
Tripod collar not included and is a little pricey.

This lens is very sharp across the focal range and all apertures and is only aided by the effective IS system. Being f/4.0 limited the bokeh and OOF rendering can be somewhat harsh at times. Excellent for travel and cityscape photography. The tripod collar is not included and is a little overpriced at $149.99. A word of warning - the IS needs a few seconds to settle down as it were once activated.... a quick depress of the shutter may lead to out-of-focus shots if the IS is still stabilizing. Highly recommended - wish Canon would update the 70-200 f/2.8 IS with the upgraded optics and IS along the lines of this lens.

Dec 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ComairCRJ700 to your Buddy List
robbrowett

Registered: Feb 22, 2008
Review Date: Dec 5, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Love it. See previous review.
Cons:

So, I've been using this lens for about 12 months now and love it! Sharp, light and excellent quality.

Check out some examples at http://www.robbrowett.net/gallery/home/Default.aspx?action=gallery

Works wonderfully with 1.4x extender.

Dec 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add robbrowett to your Buddy List
oajlu

Registered: Nov 19, 2008
Review Date: Nov 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, fast focus, excellent build, IS
Cons:
a little bit expensive, but still accepetable.

Nov 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oajlu to your Buddy List
otherworld

Registered: Oct 21, 2008
Review Date: Oct 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: weight, sharp, IS, build, IQ... its all there and more
Cons:
no mount ring, but considering the quality vs. the price i cant say im really that disappointed.

Had originally picked up the 24-70 f/2.8 (copy: UW0912), brought it home and immediately took some snaps. Then popped my 18-55 kit lens back on and took similar shots... which had the better IQ? The kit lens.

Given the level of my excitement when I brought it home and seeing the kit lens out perform the 24-70 2.8, most would be pretty pissed. Glad it happened to me... it provided a moment of pause to reconsider which lens to pick up and which would better complement kit --the 24-70 or 70-200. I knew there were QA problems with the 70, but ultimately decided it wasnt the right lens to build my Canon gear with regardless of the flaw and that I can do without the 24-70 f/2.8, unless an IS version is released...

Took the 24-70 back to the store and they confirmed the it was off. Picked up the 70-200 f/4 IS and the "Classic Plastic" (50 f/1.8) as its replacement without spending any more. Couldnt be happier --though funny how the $1300 lens and the $100 both provide a similar sense of joy.

Oct 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add otherworld to your Buddy List
fabianfoo

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Oct 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, light-weight, good contrast, very effective image stabilisation.
Cons:

This is my favourite Canon lens and probably Canon's best overall zoom lens. It remains the reason why switching to Nikon is not a real option for me. The best and most versatile portrait lens out there.

I love it because:

- it is sharp and light
- it is versatile (70-200mm covers a wide composition range on both crop and full-frame DSLRs)
- it focuses very quickly
- the image stabilisation is superb (I get usable shots at 1/50sec at 200mm).

Bokeh is not as smooth and creamy as the f2.8 version (I used to own that as well) but you're also paying nearly double the price and carrying double the weight for the f2.8 version.

The low-light, action-stopping advantage of the f2.8 version shrinks with every new generation of DSLR - images are now usable at ISO 6400, who knows where we'll be in 2 years, ISO 25,600?

My advice - don't worry about the extra f-stop and save yourself some cash and neck strain - get this f4 IS version instead.

Some photos (paired with a 5D by the way):

Oct 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fabianfoo to your Buddy List
Breach

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Location: Bulgaria
Review Date: Oct 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! L Quality. Reasonable price.
Cons:
f/4, but hey, does that really count?

I was really torn between f/4 IS and f/2.8 IS... Finally I got f/4. For low light situations I'm sticking to primes. This is probably the sharpest zoom Canon has. Its sharpness is off the charts, definitely puts a lot of primes to shame. This lens is definitely sharper than my 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 85mm f/1.8 and I'm positive it's sharper than 70-200 2.8 IS at equivalent FL/apertures. I have read that at MFD some people were getting softness at f/4 in different extreme ranges. My copy is very slightly softer at f/4 70mm at MFD. Really only visible at 100% and a lot of pixel peeping. Compared to 2.8 IS this lens is light. Build quality is very good. If you're at a dilemma whether to get 70-200 f/4 IS or non-IS, get the IS version, definitely pays off, really no matter what your shooting style is. 2.8 vs. f4 dilemma is hard. If you are a reporter, shoot primarily inside no flash or shoot stage performances, by all means get the 2.8 one. Everyone else should get this one. For outdoor portraits I find myself reaching for the zoom rather than the 1.8 prime, DoF and all... Enough said.

Oct 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Breach to your Buddy List
Dawei Ye

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Sep 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness (Generally), Overall LACK of aberrations (CA, Distortion, Vignetting), IS effectiveness
Cons:
MFD problems at long end, Non petal shaped hood (nitpick)

Date Code: UV0203
Price: $1629 AUD (now much cheaper)
Purchase Date: November 07

I have had a mixed history with this lens, and whilst I don't want to retell my life story I've discussed some issues about this lens that I've come across in my personal experience.

Let me say up front that all things considered this lens is crazy sharp. This lens is as sharp as the 85L and 50 f/1.8 II stopped down. There's no point trying to split these 3 lenses in sharpness...they are all crazy sharp (though I think the 85L gets the nod for crispness).

When I first got this lens, I had major softness issues with it on my 400D. Part of the softness was due to the MFD problem I describe below, but it was more than that..my 400D just didn't like this lens.

Then I got a 40D and wow! Day and night difference. On a 40D this lens is sharp, sharp, sharp. Since calibration, my 400D likes this lens better too so maybe it was a focus issue Smile but psychologically I still perfer the 40D for this lens.

On the issue of sharpness, I'm a pixel peeper who presses the "View at 100%" button on every photo I take. I can tell you that my lens, even when examined at 100% crop DOES NOT IMPROVE when stopping down. It is as sharp at f/8 as it is at f/5.6 as it is at f/4. I can't be bothered testing this at all focal lengths but in my quick tests I stand by this. I do not hesitate to use this lens at f/4 for sharpess reasons (I hesitate for dof reasons)

I hear some say that it isn't as good at 70mm especially wide open. To be honest I don't use it at 70mm much but at the times I have, I haven't noticed anything particularly bad at 70mm. Photozone says this lens is best at 135

Sports? I'm not sports photographer but on the one occasion I did try AI Servo at a Lacrosse game on my 40D, when I did my bit properly in keeping the focus point on the target, the in focus rate was in the 80%+ region, and those that locked on were tack sharp. When I say tack sharp, I mean that 100% crops are tack sharp.

My only disappointment is its well documented poor performance at the long end at MFD. For some reason my copy of the lens, as well as many other copies, is terrible at the 200mm end, at the MFD, especially when wide open. (Some users claim to have no problems with this regard though, but many believe this is a design compromise).

It would have been great to use this IS lens for flower shots etc. when walking around instead of having to cart around a Macro Lens.

As for IS, let me just say that if you are considering the 70-200 f/4L non IS version, DON'T! Get this one with IS. You WILL regret not having IS. I would not get a non IS version of any lens if I could help it, or if my primary interests were fast action sports or if I exclusively used a tripod or monopod and wanted to save some money on the lens.

But do I hear you saying the 70-200 f/4L is a better value?

I disagree. Where is the value of the 70-200 f/4L when you have to get a monopod or tripod to use it in lower light. With the state of the art IS unit on this lens I can handhold at 1/15 at 200mm. With the non IS version that is a near impossibility. A 4 stop advantage is absolutely real.

In summary: Will I ever sell this lens? No. Would I rebuy it if I had my time over again? Yes.

Sep 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dawei Ye to your Buddy List

223 430096 Nov 12, 2014