222 428293 Jun 21, 2014
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34°- 12°(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72ΒΊ)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

DLP

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Review Date: Aug 3, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,100.00

Pros: IQ, BQ, Blistering fast AF
Cons:
ZERO

I was so undecided between the F4 IS and the f2.8 IS (MKI) that I bought both to compare side by side. For me the F4 IS was the clear winner. All images I tested were just as sharp if not sharper than the f2.8 IS. The lens is light and the AF is blistering fast. The f4 IS displays no visible CA even at 100% crop.
This lens is always in my tavel kit. A joy to use and it never lets me down.

Aug 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DLP to your Buddy List
Fred Meebley

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Review Date: Jul 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast AF, lightweight and cheap compared to the 2.8 IS II
Cons:
None. I knew it wasn't designed to be a low light lens when i bought it. It has lived up to all my expectations.

Great lens, great optics. Small and light enough to take along on all my outdoor adventures.

Jul 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Meebley to your Buddy List
arun_co

Registered: Jun 27, 2011
Review Date: Jun 27, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color vibrancy, super fast focus, price (when you look at the quality), sturdy build, Superior Image Stabilization, optional manual focus, quite operation
Cons:
ABSOLUTELY NO NEGATIVES

I never ever thought I would get a lens that I would have nothing to complain about. Almost, every lens I own, rented, or otherwise tried had at least some negatives. The 70-200mm L is an exception.

As a techie, I pixel-peep, push the lens to its limits and see what I get out of it. This lens is a clear winner in every way.

The details this lens is able to grab from the extreme dark and light areas of the picture is unbelievable. See the sample images at http://www.dreamyreflections.com/showoff/?o=o/folder-show&sfs=arun_co/2010-08-07%20Cunningham%20Falls for a proof.

Usually, if a lens captures the details in the white area the darker ones become pitch black, and if you expose to capture the details in the dark area, lighter details gets washed out --unless you use a great quality lens like this one.

I have no complains and am a much happier photographer --even after the thinning effect it had in my wallet :-).

Even if you have a slight passion on photography, you won't regret buying this lens.

Usage of this lens for the uninitiated: this isn't a lens for all situations. You would still a wide angle lens, and probably a super telephoto lens. This one, in my opinion, is a good portrait lens and a okay zoo lens or a children's park lens. I would say, this covers the best range (mid range!) in those situations.

Jun 27, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add arun_co to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: May 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight, good image quality, excellent image stabilisation
Cons:
It's white, it's too expensive, it's f4 (but that's why it's small). It doesn't come with a tripod collar.

This is a very good lens. It's not quite the earth-shattering experience I was expecting, but it's very sharp throughout the range has excellent contrast and is nice and small.

Is it worth twice the cost of a 70-300IS ? Well it isn't twice as good, although it's better so that's a matter of opinion but I'd say no.

I'm not exactly disappointed, I'm just not overwhelmed.

May 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
aVOLanche

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp,sharp,sharp! Lightweight Outstanding build Great IS
Cons:
None I can think of......well,wish it came in black.

Simply is the best zoom lens I have tried.Very sharp wide open at all FLs.Not much heavier than the 70-300 IS.Takes teleconverters well (f/5.6 @ 280mm is still sharp).

Typically great "L" build.Internal focus.Great image stabilisation.

Is great on the higher mp bodies (7D,5DII,etc.).

Can't recommend it more highly!

Dec 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aVOLanche to your Buddy List
Gonemad

Registered: Sep 2, 2009
Review Date: Sep 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice contrast, fast AF, lightweight
Cons:
IS humming is rather noisy, like the Canon 70-300 IS USM

This is my first L lens and I couldn't be happier. I've used the Canon 70-300 IS USM for about a year and was very happy with the IQ at F7 (read lots of sunlight). I upgraded to Canon 70-200 F4 IS USM for the only reason that I needed a faster AF lens for sports. What I got was much more than just a faster AF - eye popping images, solid build quality and sharp images at F4!!

I recently added a Tamron 1.4x SP TC and the image quality is still holding up very nicely. The slight quality degradation is almost unnoticeable by the excellent IQ produced by this lens on a crop camera (40D).

I highly recommend this lens, as well as the use of the 1.4xTC. If you have a need for a zoom, then don't hesitate to get this excellent quality glass. Remember, there are lots of lenses that gives sharp images out there, including the Canon 70-300 IS USM, but not many would give you the eye-popping quality that 70-200 IS USM does which is above and beyond sharpness alone. Buy with confidence.

Sep 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gonemad to your Buddy List
dirkb

Registered: Jul 9, 2008
Review Date: Jun 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast autofocus, sharp, quiet, lightweight, great IQ, did i mention sharp?
Cons:

sharp and fast. found used for $400.00. liked the non-iS. love the IS version! works well on my 7D and 5D1. incredible lens!

Jun 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dirkb to your Buddy List
CommonSense

Registered: Jun 6, 2010
Review Date: Jun 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic first lens L series lens, tack sharp, comfortable, build quality, everything I was hoping for...
Cons:

I have been looking for one of these lenses for quite sometime, I thought the right one for me was the 70-200mm non-IS, but after several unsuccessful attempts at trying to find a good used one, I decided to look new (Canon is having a rebate at the time of this writing). You cannot even begin to imagine how difficult it is finding both new and used equipment living in Alaska. I read through these reviews and decided if I was going to buy new it would be the IS version. This is my first L series lens and I could not be happier. For me the F/2.8 was out of the question. I did have a chance to try one and it was heavy, not to mention the price. At my level, I have no business owning such an expensive piece of glass. The F/4 is expensive enough.

I purchased a used 40D with a 20-35mm wide angle lens which about 6 months ago and felt I was ready for something better. I would have probably been just fine without the IS, but I felt eventually I would have wished I purchased one with IS. I gave this lens 10 / 10 on everything except for price. While the IS is really nice to have, I'm not sure it is worth double the price of a non-IS version, so I rated that a 9. If you can afford it, buy one. I'm not exactly sure how you could go wrong.

I realise I probably didn't add much new to what has already been but I can say what has been said is spot on.

Jun 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CommonSense to your Buddy List
dustnet

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: May 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, weight, price, weather sealing
Cons:
67mm diameter

This lens is a must to have for people doing landscape and wildlife.

- Lightweight (nearly half the weight of the 2.8 version), it will fit in any backpack.
- Perfect focal on a full frame for landscape and perfect focal on a APS-C camera for close wildlife.
- Its complete weather sealing makes it resistant to harsh weather, which is a must for people going out.
- Works pretty well with X1.4 converter.
- Outstanding image quality, even on demanding 21mp camera body.
- Very efficient IS, sharp image at 1/15 of a second, useful for wildlife at dawn, when you need to keep moving and can't use a tripod.

For all these reasons, I'd strongly recommend this lens over the 2.8 version if you already got something for portrait (typically a luminous 50mm f/1.4 or better).

I suggest to check my website and blog for samples, most of the wild trips I'm doing are done with this lens in my bag.

Emmanuel.

May 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
Stuart Bell

Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling, balance, feel of zoom and focus rings, IS, sharpness, colour of images.
Cons:
White body attracts attention.

Back in February, Amazon.co.uk sold this lens to a few fortunate people for £635.94. As of May, they're selling it at £1000+. I could never have afforded that, but the results show why that is not a totally unreasonable price. It matches the excellent 200/2.8L which I sold to finance the purchase (except at f/2.8 of course!) and the IS makes it much more usable in UK weather.

May 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stuart Bell to your Buddy List
gazzajagman

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Review Date: May 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small Size and weight...pluss stunning optics wide open. Quiet AF and IS system
Cons:
The lack of a tripod ring is shamefull.

Optically, it's a gem. Wide open performance is top tier stuff and I can see no IQ improvement when stopped down.
This lens easily matches the 135L and 200 2.8IIL primes for IQ at f4 but looses out on Brightness. But lets face it, who what's to lug about a bag full of primes when travelling.

It's a wee bit less sharp on my 7D than on my 5DII's, but that's not a big surprise. The 7D isn't as pixel sharp as the 5DII anyhow.

This lens makes a perfect travel tele. Mated to a 16-35IIL and a 24-70L and it's a three lens heaven.

If you really what to see how sharp this lens is, switch off the IS system and pop it on a tripod. It's abilities far out resolve hand holding....even with an IS unit.

May 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gazzajagman to your Buddy List
Simon Elwell

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Apr 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, good colour, lightweight
Cons:

Use this lens for portraits and for general shooting. It's sharp with good contrast and colour and the IS works visibly in the viewfinder.

Not too heavy to lug around.

Apr 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Simon Elwell to your Buddy List
surf monkey

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: Feb 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,040.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast & accurate focus. Super sharp at all apertures and focal length, except as noted below. Excellent color and contrast. Relatively light and compact. Very good IS.
Cons:
Not as sharp in corners on FF. White, draws too much attention.

Sold my original beloved 70-200 f4 non-IS and haven't looked back. The IS version is better in every way. Sharper, faster focus, better contrast and of course IS. The cost difference is a bit high though.

On a crop camera I found absolutely no flaws. On my new 5Dmk2 at wide apertures and on the long end there is a bit of resolution loss in the corners. Super sharp in the center.

Love the weight compared to the f2.8 versions, making it a very portable telephoto when traveling or hiking. Works well with a 1.4x teleconverter.
I can't imagine a better version of this lens for the current EF mount.

Feb 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add surf monkey to your Buddy List
juan65

Registered: Feb 4, 2009
Review Date: Feb 10, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,380.00

Pros: Does not extend, constant aperture, wheather sealed, not heavy at all, color is tan and not white,
Cons:
cheap plastic hood and cheap leans pouch included, IS is noisey like the worn out cooling fan of my computer, lens some times hunts in cloudy days,

Note; in my prebious review I said that I recomend this lens,

I will like to add that I recomend this lens only if you have the oportunity to return it or exchange it if you're not happy with it,
and because this lens has moving parst inside (IS) I only recomend buying a new one.

Juan

Feb 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juan65 to your Buddy List
juan65

Registered: Feb 4, 2009
Review Date: Feb 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,380.00 | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

I had this lens for about two weeks beafore returning it,
I was getting softer images with this lens and a 7D then my Nikon D90 with the cheap chinese 70-300 non VR, wich I sold allready to help me buy the 7D,

I tried the micro AF adjustment and manual focusing with no luck,
then when I noticed that I was getting similar results with the EF-S 18-135 lens and worst with the kit lens EF 28-135, I returned my 7D to costco and re-order another 7D.

reason I am giving an 8 is because I never was able to get better results then my D90 or probe that this lens is very sharp, even that I think it was the 7D fault,

I will post my new findings for the new 7D in that forum when I have the time to compare it with the images of 7D I returned.

some times I think that too many pixels in such a small sensor was the cause,
maybe I am wrong, I hope.
I am trying to look back to nikon but their lenses are way too expensive, that is the reason switched to canon.

Feb 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juan65 to your Buddy List
dkmiles1

Registered: Nov 19, 2009
Review Date: Jan 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,129.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Just Dazzling! Sharp, sharp, sharp! Fast focus, great bokeh (as good if not better than most primes), solid build quality, IS makes me 10x the photographer I think I am...
Cons:
None, zip, zero, nada!

The most dazzling lens in my bag, all of the rumors about how great it is are not overplayed, they're all true. It just doesn't get any better than this!

Check out how sharp here;

The two kids on the front were taken with this lens...

If you have the funds, and you're on the fence, get it, you won't be disappointed!

Jan 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkmiles1 to your Buddy List

222 428293 Jun 21, 2014