220 422397 Aug 21, 2013
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34°- 12°(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72ΒΊ)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

blairware

Registered: Dec 10, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, great contrast, IS REALLY WORKS!, very sharp
Cons:
doesn't come with tripod collar

Portable, usable, super high quality, etc... this is the best zoom lens I have ever used. It lives up to all of the claims and hype. I only wish the 24-105mm was half as good. Run, don't walk to your nearest dealer.

Dec 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add blairware to your Buddy List
Croce

Registered: Sep 6, 2004
Review Date: Dec 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,049.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast, sharp, excellent color characteristics, nice bokeh, weathersealed, 4 stop IS which works!
Cons:
Point and shooters will not ga ga you as much as if you had the 2.8

How good is it? I sold my 2.8 IS!
I was concerned about the one stop difference between the 2.8 and 4 but what I found was, the IS makes up for it in handhelds and the bokeh is so good that the increased depth of field does not hurt it. One stop for a one pound weight reduction. Equal or better performance. No Brainer!

Another BIG (to me) plus is that it does not attract looky loos and WOW, lookit that lens. Boy, I'll bet that really gets the job done huh? No dildo head, the photographer gets the job done!

Dec 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Croce to your Buddy List
Hans im Glueck

Registered: Dec 6, 2006
Review Date: Dec 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even wide open at the corners at fullframe (!),almost on par with a prime, IS works great, a perfect travel-lens.
Cons:
visible vignetting @200mm,f4 ; IS is loud ; EXPENSIVE especially in Europe

"OK ,this lens is too expensive, the IS starts its work with a nasty scratching noise , the build quality is not as outstanding as the non IS version ( only the front part and the bajonett seems to be metal. In the middle the tube looks and feels like plastic ). You better send it back to your dealer."
Thats what I thought first when i got it, but then I saw the first pictures on my monitor from the lens with my 5D:
"Wow, pictures are tack sharp at all apertures, even wide open in the corners at my 5D, IS gives you brillant pics with 1/15 at 200mm without tripot, so its worth the money".
Only remark: there is a little vignetting on the long end at f4,
but not a serious problem.

Dec 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hans im Glueck to your Buddy List
anseladams

Registered: Aug 8, 2006
Review Date: Dec 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,245.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super Awesome IS, Pretty Light, White!, Tack Sharp
Cons:
The Price Was Kind Of Expensive But I Knew That Before I Bought It. So Could That Be A Con?lol

This is a very great lens. I can shoot at 1/6 of a second at 200mm tack sharp. I am only fifteen and i worked alot to get it, boy was it worth it. I would recomend anybody to go out and buy it.

Dec 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anseladams to your Buddy List
Beau Suwanraks

Registered: Oct 5, 2006
Review Date: Dec 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, lightweight, IS,very good bokeh for at f4
Cons:

I am not an expert at lens test but I already have some of Canon's L lens (16-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8,135 f2,300 f4 IS) along with several Leica M lens (summicron) so I think I know of what sharpness is since this is quite subjective. After a day shooting with this lens, I can confirm what others have already mentioned,this is a very sharp lens even at f4. I found it to be similar characteristic to the 135 f2 in term of sharpness and color. My only worry before buying this lens was the bokeh at f4 when shooting portrait might not be as smooth as the f2.8 offers by the 70-200 2.8IS which I was also thought of buying but the weight was too much for travelling purpose. To my surprise, the bokeh was smooth much better than the other lens I own at f4. So to sum up, I am very happy with this lens and would highly recommend it to everyone especially for those who will use it mainly as a travel lens.

Dec 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Beau Suwanraks to your Buddy List
kross

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight, tack sharp, incredible IS, it's a L
Cons:
just a nit... loud IS but u won't notice it after awhile...

this is an incredible lens.... sharp at wide open and throughout...
4 stops IS is TRUE! (for me at least...)

My best L lens so far! Highly recommended!

cheers...
kross

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kross to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Nov 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact lightweight body - 760g, 172mm length 4 stop Image Stabilizer with 2 modes 1 x Fluorite and 2 x UD lens elements for superior optical performance colors & contrast are fantastic! Ring type USM auto focus with full time manual override Circular aperture diaphragm for even background blur Environmental seals for dust and moisture resistance
Cons:
None except IS eats up camera battery power buy a spare no problem

I was about to buy 70-200 2.8 IS So glad I got this ! very happy with the lens and when I switch to full frame. it's a lens I will always keep, I have alo used it with canon 1.4 extender 110 MM-280MM also fantastic F stop goes to f5.6
some pics

Nov 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
Mike Grain

Registered: Nov 29, 2006
Review Date: Nov 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, very very sharp, 4 Stop IS, weight, AF speed. Did I mention it's sharp?
Cons:

Without a doubt the best lens I own, even using the 1.4xTC the images are tack sharp on my 5D. Clearly the lens is still out-resolving the sensor!

Shop around in the UK and you can pick it up for under £800. Yes it's a little pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for.

I have the 17-40 F4 L and 24-105 F4 L and this lens nicely completes my 'F4 L' collection.

I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Nov 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Grain to your Buddy List
Chuck Kogge

Registered: Nov 12, 2006
Review Date: Nov 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, IS, L glass.
Cons:
None that I have found

I was able to trade in my 70-200mm f/4L USM for this lens because it was only a few weeks old and it was a great decision. Although the 70-200 f/4L USM is also a GREAT lens the IS on this lens definitely is a big deal. I have taken shots at night hand heal for 1/10th second (that's good for me). I have taken candid people shots with great DOF. Even at 1/250th IS helps to make sharp shots.

Take all of the above and its size and weight make it relatively easy to carry around especially when you compare it to the f2.8L of this lens series. The only downside is the added price because of the price difference between the IS and non-IS.

Nov 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chuck Kogge to your Buddy List
john knowles

Registered: Nov 26, 2006
Review Date: Nov 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: great lens as far as picture quality takes sharp photo
Cons:
very noisy when using image stabilizer and too pricey

Takes a very nice sharp picture on my 400d canon, however i have just sent back to canon as when switching on and off the image stabilizer you hear a scratchy type noise which does not sound normal and also the pic frame tends to jump on some occasions.

Nov 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add john knowles to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: Nov 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: For image quality and IS future this lens is definitely a great deal !!! In all aspects this lens is capable of producing top notch quality image for artist or someone on the road ... I was testing this lens which I have borrowed from friend of mine and I was so impressed I just purchased one for my self. It is that good !!!
Cons:
NADA !!!

Nov 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
ladomat2001

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Nov 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight, IS, sharpness, contrast, color,
Cons:

I sold my 70-200/2.8 non IS and baoughed this one. Why? Because it's much lighter, and you get more usable picture in low light situations - that it is sometime essential.
Also: It's nice, when you forget the weight of a lens, while shooting -it's easear to concentrate on the subject, rather than be busy with balancing your heavy equipement! The only think i am not a big fan og, it's the color of the lens: not real white, more grey and for the price the tripod mount could be supplied... but hey, you never get everything for free, so for that price it's a killer and best vlaue for money - i think.

Nov 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ladomat2001 to your Buddy List
selwynroberts

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: Nov 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight picture quality image stabilliser
Cons:
uk price too high

had to have this lens. I neede a small high quality telephoto for travel etc and this is perfect. The image stabilliser is excellent and the lens is neat and compact. The uk street price of £990 is crazy especially compared to the f2.8 but i think that this will come down making the lens a good buy

Nov 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add selwynroberts to your Buddy List
httivals

Registered: May 7, 2004
Review Date: Nov 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High image quality. Lightweight. A joy to use.
Cons:
Not especially compact.

This is the first Canon zoom I've held onto for use with my 5D. The image quality is top notch. I look at images at 100% magnification, and have printed test sections of what a 24" image would look like (including up rezzing). The lens passes my sharpness evaluations. Color and contrast are also excellent. The IS works well enough so that I can get critically sharp images at 200mm down to 1/100 or 1/80 almost all the time; no or very little difference between these images and what I can obtain from a tripod. I'm not talking usably sharp, but critically sharp. I previously tried out a 70-200mm f4L and ended up returning it because I found that I needed to use at least 1/500 shutter speed for critically sharp images at 200mm and that limited it's use for me. . . Maybe I have shakey hands, or maybe I have different standards than others, but in any event the IS works for me. Only downside is that the lens is not especially compact, but I knew this. When you add the lens hood, it gets quite large. The lens is fairly light; I don't anticipate problems walking around with it all day. I actually think the price is reasonable for what you get.

Nov 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add httivals to your Buddy List
Yinxia Long

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, effective IS, fast focus, excellent IQ, etc. Can't be happier with this lens. Great complement to my 24-105mm.
Cons:
If anything, the IS is noisier than the 24-105. Wonder if it's caused by 4-stop IS versus the 3-stop IS on the 24-105. But it works great so who cares. Oh, it looks really long with the lens hood on.

Just got this lens. It is great. Maybe this is telling: I found it hard to take it off and put the 24-105mm back on as the carry-on. This is one sharp lens!

I was deciding between the f/2.8 IS and this one and did a lot of research before pulling the trigger. The weight difference was the swaying factor. I tried to handhold a 5-lb bag of flour and decided right then and there that I would not want to lug such a weight around. And the f/2.8 on a Rebel xti weighs more than the bag of flour! I knew it's a trade-off: I wouldn't get the kind of portrait background as the f/2.8 can give. But I decided it would be worth it: I'd rather have a lens that I care to use a lot than one that I admire but must leave home.

I don't think the price is unreasonable. After all, the price difference between the IS version of the f/2.8 and the non-IS version is about the same.

I was, however, a little surprised at the noise made by the IS. It is definitely noisier than the IS on my 24-105mm. While one need to put his ear to the lens body of the 24-105 to detect the whirring IS of the 24-105mm, one can clearly hear the IS working in the 70-200 from behind the camera looking into the viewfinder. But this may not be a totally bad thing: one need not have to double check to see if he has the IS on or off.

One last thing, it isn't that white and shiny; it is not the kind of attention grabber that a high gloss white would be. It has this nice greyish-yellowish hue to it and looks kind of low-key attractive. If one is worried about the color contrast between the lens and the camera body, put the hood on reverse, the lens is half black now. And it's size suits the Rebel xti with a battery grip quite well.

Nov 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Yinxia Long to your Buddy List
penghai

Registered: May 21, 2002
Review Date: Nov 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, accurate focus, IS, great color, excellent build
Cons:
f4. But at this weight, there is really no complains.

This is the lens that once you have it, you will keep pick it up to use. Very sweet image and very functioning IS that works great in low light as long as the subjects stay still. I have tried shooting f4 at 1/20 seconds and it still works great.

It's sharper than 4 copies of 70-200 f2.8 IS and one copy of 70-200 f4 that I have bought brand new and returned a while back. None of the above 5 lenses even passed my focus chart test. But this 70-200 f4 IS is different. Focus right on and so far I didn't hear a bad copy yet.

The main character I like is the light weight. It make this lens so sweet and easy to use. Even though its current price is still high, I have no regret and would recommend this lens with no reservation.

Nov 20, 2006