220 422452 Aug 21, 2013
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34°- 12°(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72ΒΊ)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

jenufa

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 10, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Classic lens
Cons:

This is a great pin sharp lens. Say no more

Jan 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jenufa to your Buddy List
mirages

Registered: Apr 3, 2006
Review Date: Jan 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,013.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, well designed, discrete and lightweight - simply a pleasure to use.
Cons:
Maybe the price - but who doesn't like buying quality.

This lens is super sharp, and I typically shy away from zooms
(Had the gambit of Canon L zooms, and now this is one of two only). The IQ of this lens resembles much more the quality of a prime; it may be as sharp as my 300 F4 non-is.

Had the opportunity shortly after getting this lens of testing it on two weeks of tropical vacation. I did not come back the least bit disappointed. Used my travel TC, the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x, and there is no discernable image degradation. This combination actually takes wonderfully sharp images (my gal complained of microscopic sharp close-ups)!

This lens is everything that it is advertised to be in my estimate, and then some. If you are at all interested I would strongly suggest renting one. I believe most will be pleasantly surprised at how well it does in low light; as a former owner of the 70-200 2.8 IS I see no reason whatsoever to ever go down that path again. This lens is not a cure-all, but it is damn good; like anything though you really need to try it to be convinced. I am one happy camper; trenchmonkey and I were sharing today that on this lens Canon got it right The FIRST Time! Have fun...

Jan 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mirages to your Buddy List
jenufa

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a top lens it will not dissapoint

Jan 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jenufa to your Buddy List
ed rader

Registered: May 9, 2005
Review Date: Jan 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight, excellent IQ, takes a 1.4TC very well
Cons:

great lens. i've found that the IQ is actually an improvement over the f4 non-IS when shooting wide open and bokeh is on par.

Jan 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ed rader to your Buddy List
shuber182

Registered: Feb 22, 2003
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,059.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Tripod mount is extra, but with the IS feature it's almost a non necessity.

I finally got some decent weather to run this lens thru some tests. All I can say is wow what a piece of glass. I sold my 70-200 2.8 L USM a while back and replaced it with this lens. Not the slightest regret. This lens is sharp - sharp - sharp !!! Works great with the Canon 1.4x TC. There is no loss of sharpness at all. If don't need f2.8 and you can get your paws on this lens suffice to say that you will not be dissapointed at all. Perfect sharpness, great contrast - all-in-all another fantastic lens from Canon.

Jan 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shuber182 to your Buddy List
Daxe

Registered: May 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very light, incredible sharpness, perfect IS, L glass .
Cons:
Very noise (i call it "the coffee machine"), horrible hood.

My fisrt IS lens and it is great, very sharp, not like 85 1.8 but very near. Light enought so i bring it every time with me.
I did not love tele zoom, before it, but now i love it (also because is not so super tele). Good for portrait also if have not the soft outfocus of 85. Very good for candid. Negative side, the noise, like a coffee machine. But this is the price for IS, if i have light days i off it.

This is my second L glass, after 17-40, but this is more sharp. I use the lens in 20D and Eos3

Jan 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Daxe to your Buddy List
Trond Kalstad

Registered: Dec 29, 2006
Review Date: Jan 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp. build like a tank.
Cons:
nasty hood... a bit noisy...

use it with 5d, and I am very impressed

Jan 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Trond Kalstad to your Buddy List
Mariospc888

Registered: Dec 23, 2006
Review Date: Dec 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fab Lens. A real pleasure to handle and use
Cons:
Tripod collar - Where is it?? But I guess that I'm being picky.

I have had this lens for a week now and I am really pleased with it. I use it on a 400D and record the images on a SanDisk Exteme III card. Fab results so far. Can't wait to take this lens on my next trip away and really put it through it's paces.

Dec 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mariospc888 to your Buddy List
CinderPath

Registered: Jun 14, 2003
Review Date: Dec 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,229.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, extreme sharpness, well controlled flare and ghosting. No need for tripod collar.
Cons:
Lame lens hood design, not good for quick-removal and applying.

Less bliss- This might be it. I sold my 70-200 f2.8 L IS. The sharpness of this lens is on par, perhaps even better with the f2.8 version. It is the sharpest zoom I have ever used, and easily is a sharp as a lot of primes I have used. Where it is absolutely stellar is in controlling flare and ghosting. This is MUCH better than the other Canon L zooms in this focal range both IS and non-IS versions. This is very important to me, as I like to shoot sunsets.

As for the IS, I believe the 4-stop gain might be true. I shot a photo hand-held at 1/10th of a sec @ 200mm and it was sharp, I find this quite remarkable. Why some people have groaned about the IS unit making noise is beyond me. I'll put up with a little noise compared to lugging around a tripod. I find the noise on the IS to be the same as my other IS leneses.

The other advantage is that the lens is significantly smaller and lighter than the f2.8 version, negating the need for a tripod collar, which is one less thing that needs go in my bag.

At first I thought the price was a little on the high side- Until I got the results back and could not believe how well it has performed.

Dec 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CinderPath to your Buddy List
CountryBob

Registered: Oct 3, 2006
Review Date: Dec 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, fast auto focus, lightweight and compact.
Cons:
Slightly expensive

I bought this lens three weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Being lightweight and of a reasonable size it is easy to carry around. If you want a 70-200 and you don't need to have a f/2.8 then this is the lens to buy, I give it 10 out of 10 for image quality.

Dec 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CountryBob to your Buddy List
askmatrix

Registered: Dec 28, 2003
Review Date: Dec 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Lighter is a big plus to me
Cons:
f4 and no tripod collar, 4 stops feel a little exagerated to me.

Dec 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add askmatrix to your Buddy List
DenisV

Registered: Dec 17, 2006
Review Date: Dec 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, lightweight, latest IS, image quality, sealed, front element does not rotate, fast AF, not extending
Cons:
Price, hood bulky

Bought this lens as a midrange telephoto - considered also Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS and Sigam 70-200 f2.8, Canon 70-300 IS and even Sigma 50-150 f2.8.
On balance of long-term value and suitability for hiking trips, the L f4 IS was my choice, despite the over the top price.
I hope it is the right decision (time will show), but my fisrt impressions are very good.
It is light (compared to the other lenses which I have rented for several hiking trips), the IS works very well and image quality is very good.

Dec 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DenisV to your Buddy List
SoCalHaze

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Review Date: Dec 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: L glass. Sharp sharp sharp wide open. Excellent IS. Able to shoot hand held 1/15 at 200mm
Cons:
ugly hood

If you can afford it buy the IS version. Returned the non IS version because had to keep speeds upwards of 1/250 to get critically sharp shots. With IS, can drop that down significantly. Can confidently shoot at 1/50 with a high keeper rate.

Considered the 2.8IS briefly, but went with the f4 for weight reasons. Don't think twice, pull the trigger.

What more can I say that already hasn't been said about this great lense... desitned to be one of Canon's greatest medium zooms...

Dec 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SoCalHaze to your Buddy List
scoke

Registered: Nov 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,060.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size and weight. Sharp images with IS hand held.
Cons:
Perhaps price

I ordered this lens after returning the Canon 24-105 for soft images. I usually shoot with primes, but the flexability of this lens, coupled with IS, made it very attractive. I have enjoyed using this with my 5d.

Dec 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add scoke to your Buddy List
randopolis

Registered: Aug 3, 2006
Review Date: Dec 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality is outstanding. Focus speed blows me away.
Cons:
Price, if anything.

This is my first L glass and now I know how people can become addicted. This thing works great with my Rebel XT so I can only imagine how much better it might be on a higher end camera. I couldn't imagine it being THAT much better but honestly I don't care. It is simply brilliant.

I have mated it to a cheap Tamron 1.4x (MC4) and been astonished with the IQ and how well it still autofocuses. On a 1.6 body with the 1.4 TC it becomes a 448mm IS. Is the IS worth it? Oh yes it is!

If you are on the fence on this one then get off as soon as you can and get this lens.

Dec 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add randopolis to your Buddy List
Rubber Soul

Registered: Dec 11, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp wide open, hardly any room to improve sharpness when stopping down. Relatively lightweight and very portable. It's so sharp, it made my other lenses seem dull in comparison.
Cons:
No tripod collar. Image stabilization starts off with a very audible scratchy sound. Canon's claim of 4-stops image stabilization benefit may be overstated.

This is a great lens. The colors are nicely saturated, contrast is excellent, and it's as sharp as any lens I have ever had the pleasure of using. Image quality is nearly at a peak when shooting wide open at f4 --- there's hardly any room for improvement when stopping down.

I'm a rabid pixel peeper, so I tested this lens taking photos of newspaper clippings taped to a wall. With a blind test at 300% magnification at all focal lengths and at all aperture, I couldn't consistently differentiate between my test images! It's incredible.

Personally, I would never, ever buy any telephoto lens that doesn't have Image Stabilization. There are just too many situations where a tripod isn't available, and too often poor lighting prohibits any shutter speed faster than 1/100 sec --- especially with an f4 lens. Image stabilization allows me to get good results in low light, at shutter speeds of 1/20 seconds or slower. This feature is expensive, but I really believe the price is well worth it. Especially if it means not missing all those shots.

Canon claims the I.S. gives 4 stops of hand holdability. In practice, though, I found that I can only *consistently* get pin sharp results with 2 stops. At 3 stops, I'd say my keeper rate is about 50/50.

This is a GREAT lens, as long as you realize it's limitations --- with a maximum aperture of f4, don't expect it to stop action in low lighting.

The f2.8 versions of this lens are much bigger, and twice as heavy. Those were great lenses, but many people end up leaving them home too often because they were such a chore to lug around in many situations. What good is a great lens if it's left at home so many times? For this reason, I feel the new 'EF 70-200mm f/4L IS' lens is a far better lens.

I enthusiastically give this a 10/10!

Dec 11, 2006