Nikon D200

41 82513 Nov 25, 2013
NikonD200

10.2 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor

Image sensor features high-speed 4-channel data output and a newly developed Optical Low Pass Filter

Advanced imaging processing engine with color-independent pre-conditioning and digital image processing algorithms that achieve fine color gradations with exceptionally smooth, consistent transitions

Newly developed 11-area AF system with selectable 7 wide-area AF mode and effective new focus area options

3D Color Matrix Metering II with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor ensures accurate exposure control and white balance

New image optimization modes help produce results more closely matching the intended results

Near-instant response with 0.15 sec. power-up, 50-millisecond shutter time lag and 105-millisecond viewfinder blackout

Fast 5 frames per second in bursts of up to 22 consecutive NEF (RAW) or 37 JPEG (Fine-Large) images

Shutter speeds ranging from 30 to 1/8,000 sec. for full creative control

Creative in-camera Image Overlay and Multiple Exposure effects

GPS support for recording location-specific information along with shooting data

Large 2.5" LCD monitor with ultra-wide 170° viewing angle for clear image preview and easy access to settings and information, including new RGB Histograms and the new Recent Settings list

Large new top LCD panel displays a wealth of information on settings and shooting status

Lightweight, durable magnesium alloy body protected by enhanced sealing system

Large, bright viewfinder offering 0.94x magnification

New high-energy EN-EL3e rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers the power to shoot up to 1,800 pictures on a single charge, and provides detailed battery status information (Battery life figure determined by in-house test parameters)

Optional MB-D200 battery pack extends shooting capability, enhances stability, and provides the further shooting potential of added controls

Built-in Speedlight with i-TTL flash control and full support for Nikon's Creative Lighting System

Support for the Wireless Transmitter WT-3 enables direct cable-free image transfer to a compatible computer

Includes Nikon’s PictureProject software for easy control over image adjustment and management

Supported by Nikon Capture 4 (version 4.4) software, which fully unlocks the extensive potential of NEF (Nikon Electronic Format)

(more...)

eddyboy

Registered: Jun 25, 2006
Review Date: Aug 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: white balance much better than the D100 Feature rich,
Cons:
It's not a D2Xs....that's all I got here

I used a D100 since they first came out. It was a struggle all the time to get the color balance/white balance to reflect reality. Otherwise the D100 was/is a dream to use.

I upgraded mainly because I heard there were some big improvements in image quality and white balance. I was
frankly amazed, though when I put the battery in, racked in a lens, and fired the camera into my living room, I got a great well balanced and lit picture of my living room...Something that might have been a bit of a wrangle in my D100 life.

Short version I loved my D100 until the first time I used my D200. Quantum advance on an already great line of cameras!!!

Aug 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eddyboy to your Buddy List
lpazxxsh

Registered: May 31, 2005
Review Date: Aug 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build Quality, 2.5" screen, Nice menus, 5 fps, Fast responce, shutter reliability.
Cons:
Adjustment buried in the menus, short battery life, pop up flash built, optional Vertical grip don't feel comfortable.

I was going to switch over to a D200 from a Canon 20D. I was impressed right away with the features the D200 had over the 20D. The bright view finder, fast 5 fps shutter, 100,000 shutter reliability, etc. I like the 1/3 stop ISO, and the 2.5" LCD. But coming from a 20D CMOS sensor i had my doubts about its noise in the 800 ISO and above. I bought my D200 from a friend. But then when i got a chance to buy a 30D here on FM i bought one. I tested both cameras in terms of images quality at higher ISO's and the 30D won hands down. I knew i can take the 30D anywhere and not be afraid to push the ISO to 3200 given the situation. The D200 is a great camera when it comes to features but the canon edge out the D200 in terms of images quality. After all its images quality is what counts. Here is my personal tests i did on 3 camera: Nikon D200, 1D, Canon 30D.

Aug 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lpazxxsh to your Buddy List
ajdooley

Registered: Aug 6, 2006
Review Date: Aug 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid construction; fast, accurate focusing in decent light; smooth images, especially at ISO 100; incredible flexibility, a real step up from the D100.
Cons:
Complex; substantial learning curve from D100, but all logical.

After 40 years of Nikons (F, FE, FTN, FE2, F3 and F5), my first digital camera was a Nikon D-1X in Iraq. I got a D100 on return in late 2003 and moved to the D200 last month. The build quality is a giant step up and image quality is astounding -- a lot better than what a step from 6.1 MP to 10.2 MP might imply. Broad expanses (sky, walls, etc) that used to display fine, but discernable "grain" are now continuous tones. Fine jpegs hold together up to 100% scale. There are a lot of "moving parts" on the D200 and even with 48 years photography experience I am being stretched to catch up with the camera. I am unconvinced by critics who want a full frame Nikon. The 35mm format is an artifact of earlier motion picture photography and is not predicated on anything else. So why can't 16x24mm work? This is especially true considering the requirement for light to strike the sensor more squarely than was necessary with film. I suspect that like the D100, which is still a serviceable camera which a friend snapped up at a fair price, this new model will carry me for three years. I'm not convinced there is a need for a B&W setting when you can arrive there from a color image, but not the reverse. But it's fun to play with. I'll not be a party to the Nikon-Canon debate: they're both superb cameras, equally capable in skilled hands and equally deplorable in the hands of people unwilling to learn how to use them and who just want "camera candy" hanging from their necks. The D200 is simply much more camera than I had and I am greatly appreciating its capabilities and possibilities. By the way, for those who are worried about flash synch speeds, get a Nikon SB-800 and head up to the camera's maximum shutter speed -- 1/8000 of a second. Just read the manual.

Aug 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ajdooley to your Buddy List
faizal

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: robust body, faster focusing than my current D70, VF is much better than current D70, 10.2MP gives me more space for cropping, 5fps, Kelvin WB, AWB also gives better WB accuracy, 2.5" LCD screen, vertical grip, accurate metering and color.
Cons:
Battery life is so so but that's why i bought MBD200 and extra battery and whole lotsa NiMHs, flash sync is 1/250s (D70/s is 1/500s), ocassional banding if shooting under lowlight condition or too contrasty situation.

Bought the camera late 2005 when it first came out. Heard and read too many bad experiences reported by first few owners. Anyway i still bought the camera due to my faith in Nikon product Wink. I believed Nikon would have done an extensive R&D on the D200.

Bought the camera as i need a second body for my wedding engagements and also as backup body for my faithful D70 (My D70 had shutter clicks of abt 50K when i bought the D200 but up until today it is going strong).

Anyway, the camera performed as i expected it to be. Simple tweaked in saturation setting and the pics really stand out. Yes, it true when they said it is a small bro of D2x. Really enjoyed the camera esp. the 5fps (for sports shooting). Loaded white wedding curve for my wedding assignments and also general shooting.

Here are pics taken with D200 http://www.pbase.com/afaizal/2006

The battery performance needs to be improved but they have MBD200. Ocassional banding happens but that is abt less than 1% than total pics taken.

Kudos to Nikon for coming out with D200!

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add faizal to your Buddy List
barisaxer

Registered: Feb 21, 2005
Review Date: Jul 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Improved noise I can shoot at 1000 with the aide of noise ninja and good handling. I added the grip for more battery power. Nice color and a good job of auto white balance the one thing that my d1x does not do well. A nice large file. Great for jpegs and raw. I shoot in BW mode alot set on raw size and get a BW preveiw on the screen and the nice raw to convert to get my black and white. Nice mirror up for macro or tele work. A good package at a ,arketsetting price. If it holds up well I will be happy with it for many years.
Cons:
Uses battery quickly you will need extra batts. Still needs noise reduction over 800 and at high iso exposure is critical.

Jul 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barisaxer to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,478.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built well, vibrant colors out of the camera, easy to use once you get use to the controls.
Cons:
Battery life, but that is why i got the grip.

One of my most used cameras at a wedding. It is a great compliment to my D2X and is a good backup to my d2h for sports... I love it. I thought about getting another one and ditching the d2x...

Jul 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
dieseldavey

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: images straight out of camera better than my 20d and every thing to hand nice package
Cons:
Battery life is awful and battery compartment door fiddly

Camera feels good and solid in your hands focus locks on quickly in good light. Images straight out of camera are good but nothing special. The battery life on the camera is awful about 120 images out of a charge. took it back the shop to have it tested but nothing wrong with camera I get about 400 images out of my canon 20d.

Jul 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dieseldavey to your Buddy List
bellyface

Registered: Mar 17, 2003
Review Date: Jun 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: rugged body, weather sealed, big-bright viewfinder, grid lines, accurate focusing, excellent in-camera processing, iso 100! 10.2mpx, high dynamic range, big 2.5" screen-bright, excellent user interface, built-in flash customizable (m, ttl, commander, or multiflash) extras: image overlay, and the classic multi exposure modes like the older film nikons.
Cons:
Focus is just a tad faster than other entry nikon's, battery life not like D2h, raw files are massive at 15mb's uncompressed. Must need bigger CF cards, 2gb-4gb. 1/250 X sync speed, noise reduction is OK.

What can I say? This is like a mini D2x with a few D70 goodies. Finally iso 100 on a digital nikon! Last time I saw that was with a D1x, and at iso 125! This camera is simply a pleasure to work with, overall. If you are planning on using this for mural-sized prints, you are in luck. I've upsized studio shots with this camera to 25-30mpx and the image still holds the fort. If you don't have the cash to spring for a D2x, the D200 is a very capable little brother.

I highly recommend it for the advanced novice, or even pro, why take the D2x on a stroll with all the heavy bulk? The D200 is just as good for the shooting.

Few observations of mine came to the conclusions that the D200 is still not a ultra-fast D2 series, even a classic D1 focuses faster than it. It's strongsuit is it's image quality, and still a very capable image buffer, even better than the D1x with a buffer upgrade.

A+ to nikon for this amazing machine!

Jun 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bellyface to your Buddy List
eacphotography

Registered: Jun 15, 2006
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The exposure on this camera is always dead on! I am always so confident that when I push the shutter I am going to get an AWESOME picture.
Cons:
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

I have owned many top of the line D-SLRs. I have owned from the Canon 10D, 20D, 1d Mark II, and I currently own the 1ds Mark II. I have also owned the Nikon d2x. I can truly say without any reservation that the Nikon D200 is the BEST camera I have ever owned. The exposure meter is AMAZING. Go get this camera and seel all your other equipment. Nikon blows Canon out of the water with this one! The color accuracy is AWESOME!

Jun 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eacphotography to your Buddy List
patotts

Registered: Jul 8, 2003
Review Date: Jun 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great build, perfected user-interface and ergonomics, bright viewfinder, solid image quality up to ISO 400
Cons:
The high ISO performance, albeit being an improvement over previous models and better than film, is simply not up to the competion. Or close. Battery life is so-so, but that is no biggie.

I had this camera for 3 months before finally switching to a Canon 5D. At first, I was so impressed with everything about this camera, it went with me everywhere.

It should be said that i'm mainly a people shooter, environmental portraits in available light, so high ISO performance is critical to me.

After the honey-moon I started inspecting the files and prints more closely and I have less impressed. Going back and comparing to files/prints from a Canon 20D I borrowed and I was even disappointed. I then borrowed a 5D for an extended time period and I put my Nikon gear on the block soon thereafter.

If you need/rely on those higher ISO's, the D200 simply isn't up to the competition. At or below ISO 400, I think this is the best camera/value on the market today.

Jun 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add patotts to your Buddy List
angstroms

Registered: Jun 1, 2006
Review Date: Jun 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fantastic Build Quality Feal in you hands Large LCD for Image playback Amazing image quality with Nikon Primes and Pro Zooms Menu System is big improvement over D70s View finder and AF area mode selection is strong improvement over D70s Improved Ergnomics over D70s
Cons:
Prefer the CF flash door to be on the back of the camera like D2X and D70s No being able to use the batteries from the D70s since new batteries are in short supply and the lower batery life of D200 To many people whinning about not be able to shoot high iso numbers

After a few days of having the camera and just shooting with my 85 f1.2 Lens (this camera just draw out capabilities of this glass) D200 is dream to shoot with. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical before I bought the camera, because I was not looking for more megapixles, but better user experience and was wondering if this would minor upgrade to what I already had. So I read every review I could find and the one that made me jump is Bjorn Rorslett review. http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html and finally shooting some shots with camera first hand at Precision Camera here in Austin.

After shooting with D70s (which is great camera) for over year now the D200 just feels more polished and ergonomically better designed for my big hands, I like the button layout and increase in size of the button on the back. The Viewfinder less cramped. The large LCD Monitor with it playback of improved menu system and picture playback. The Menu system now has more robust shooting option in more logical layout. Also the set up feels more balanced with large pro lens.

One Point that D200 is just thrashed over is Noise at High ISO, I have to agree with Bjorn, why you would want to shoot at ISO 1600 and higher with sensor over amped out, Also ISO400 and higher picture usually looked poor in quality with the grain blown out. When I shot film we always wanted to go in the other direction with lower ISO number, 25, 50, 64 and 100 to get greater color saturation, details and much less grain noise. Plus looking at 50 years worth of slide of my grandmother with her recent passing it still show we still lack one of the axis of film, Dynamic Range Fidelity. I am looking forward when Nikon drives the next revolution in DSLR supporting Higher Dynamic Range to bring us to the next level in photography.

I am looking forward to trying out the camera on with my other glass when I get my RSS L Bracket on Saturday so I lock camera down on the tripod.

Jun 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add angstroms to your Buddy List
Kerry Pierce

Registered: Jan 31, 2004
Review Date: May 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Best camera I've ever used. It's a real pleasure to use. The 10mp's make it so much nicer to frame a little loosely and crop to the appropriate aspect ratios for prints.
Cons:
It's not perfect, but I have no real gripes of substance. I do wish that they'd placed the 10pin remote connection in a better spot, but it works okay as is, I guess.

This camera is a lot of bang for the money. I've never used a pro class camera like the d2h or d2x, so I can only rate the camera based on my experiences with less expensive cameras. Once I learned the basic operations of the camera, my keeper rate has been consistently higher than I ever got from my previous cameras. That is a very pleasant experience.

May 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kerry Pierce to your Buddy List
DavidCZ

Registered: May 3, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sold build, like a tank. Terrific button arrangement. Great image quality. 5FPS. Large LCD.
Cons:

D200 is a great camera that offers a lot more, yet with a very nice price. ISO 100 provides superb images when I use tripod for nature scenes. ISO 1600 is kinda noisy. I use Neatimage to take care of the business in this case. Button arrangement on this camera is superb. It is very convenient.
10MP RAW file is very large and it takes some time for Nikon Capture to process the image. It is still worth it since RAW file gives me much space to process the files. I can image how much more time it takes if you are processing a 16MP RAW file.

May 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DavidCZ to your Buddy List
Julius

Registered: Jan 26, 2002
Review Date: May 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,649.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very solid built, excellent ergonomics, very user friendly. Outstanding value for the price.
Cons:
Practically none. High ISO noise is more than the competition, but very film grain like and not bothersome. However I would not use it over 800 ISO.

I purchased this camera body within a week it came out. It was meant to be a backup body for my D2X but I have been using it more frequently now than my D2X. The results are just about identical on the 13x19 inch prints and the D200 has slightly better dinamic range, it keeps the highlight details a little better.
All in all it is a lovely camera, loaded with all the important features I ever need, extremely well built and a joy to use. This is my favorite camera by far from all the dozens of different (and brand) cameras I owned before.

May 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Julius to your Buddy List
Liftik

Registered: Feb 12, 2005
Review Date: May 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: size and weight, features, image quality, solid sealed built, built in flash, simple to use i.e well designed buttons for critical features.
Cons:
none for me, for high ISO users a bit noisy.

I just love this camera! for the first time ever for me: when I exhibit large prints i.e 10x14 I am often asked if I took the image in medium format!

May 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liftik to your Buddy List
eros

Registered: Dec 1, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: May 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Almost everything!
Cons:
High noise at high ISO.

This is the best camera I have ever had. Just don't think the NR has a great effect on high ISO's.

May 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eros to your Buddy List

Nikon D200