Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

176 281549 Nov 23, 2014
85II

Retaining the impressive optical performance and large aperture of the original EF 85mm f/1.2L USM, this new medium telephoto lens uses a Ring-type USM, high-speed CPU and optimized algorithms to achieve an autofocus speed approximately 1.8x faster than the original. The high-speed AF and circular aperture create a shallow depth-of-field that brings attention to the subject and blurs the background, which is ideal for portraits and weddings. The floating optical system, which includes an aspherical lens element, suppresses aberrations and ensures excellent imaging performance.

(more...)

alanwarp

Registered: Oct 8, 2007
Review Date: Jan 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality (bokeh, sharpness, compression, colors)
Cons:
chromatic aberration and fringing; weight; price; exposed rear element; focus-by-wire;

There's not much to say that hasn't been said. Basically this lens appears to be designed around image quality, period. In that aspect, it's design is amazing.

In other aspects it's weaker, but obviously that was the design trade-off.

To me, the weight was surprising, but once on a 5D with grip, it feels nicely balanced.

I think if you have good focusing technique, using the '*' button, you will get good results, I was able to get in focus shots at 1.2 right away (no all of them, but promising results), it obviously a knife edge your playing on, but not as hard as some may have made it out to be.

I was really surprised by the sharpness at 1.2 also.

The chromatic aberration and green fringing is a bit annoying, but you can work around that in post processing, the price you pay, I guess, for working at 1.2.

Bokeh is amazing.

I've found focus is somewhat slow, but accurate on my 5D, if you don't have enough light for focusing it is annoying that it takes so long for the lens to hunt from near focus distance to infinity and back, seems like an eternity, but in regular use the focus ring is traveling much less so at least I don't notice it much.

I guess there is a reason for focus by wire, but it's an inconvenience that you need camera power to retract the lens, since it doesn't have internal focus.

Rear element exposure is a bit scary.

That's about it, I love this lens, and can see keeping it for a very long time.

Jan 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alanwarp to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Jan 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Hands down the most beautiful portrait lens I have ever used (if you can get your subject in focus).
Cons:
Really having a hard time with the focus-by-wire feature. Its faster than my buddy's Mark I version, but its no 85 f/1.8 with regards to speed.

The keeper rate with someone of my skill level (been shooting for a year) is very low. I am just not used to the ultra paper thin DOF at f/1.2. And the almost 1 meter minimum focus distance keeps me backing up often to get my shots, but both of these "flaws" are really more of my skill level at using such a lens. My keepers are amazing. Bokeh is so beautiful I cannot help but stare at just how creamy it is. Don't think you can just pick up this lens and it will start producing great pictures. It takes lots and lots of practice! I'm still practicing every day!

Jan 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List
trajan

Registered: Dec 3, 2008
Review Date: Dec 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: beautiful bokeh, sharpness at all apertures, colors, contrast, best lens for portraits
Cons:
bulky, slow to focus, does not focus at very very low light levels, rear element exposed

In spite of slow focusing, this is my favorite lens, not only for portraits, but also during the day and for low light work. The reason is that the lens is sharp and has a very smooth bokeh. I also like to take portraits.

Here are some pictures taken with this lens:

<a href="http://highaperture.com/m/a/matei_varga/matei_varga-0.html">Pianist</a>

<a href="http://highaperture.com/e/m/emanuela/emanuela-0.html">Headshot (low light)</a>

<a href="http://highaperture.com/c/a/carriages/carriages-0.html">Carriages in Central Park</a>

<a href="http://highaperture.com/c/a/cannon/cannon-0.html">Canon</a>

<a href="http://highaperture.com/o/c/octavian_and_ina/octavian_and_ina-0.html">Couple (black and white with added vignetting for an aged look)</a>

<a href="http://highaperture.com/c/e/cello/cello-0.html">Super low light at a Jazz Concert</a>

Dec 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trajan to your Buddy List
ComairCRJ700

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,745.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Magical. Phenomenal image quality in terms of sharpness and out of focus blur. The definitive portait lens.
Cons:
Expensive (but worth it), rather heavy and the exposed rear element makes it somewhat awkward and requires special care when handling. Some CA as the aperture is opened at its widest.

There is something absolutely magical about this lens. This is THE people lens and is well worth the price of admission. Besides the sharp image quality, the boken and out of focus areas are rendered stunningly even when stopped down. My favorite shots are largely from this lens and I am only beginning to explore its magic on the new 5D Mark II. Anytime candid people shots are in order, this is mounted to the camera.

Dec 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ComairCRJ700 to your Buddy List
Dawei Ye

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Dec 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lovely.
Cons:
CA (both lateral and longitudinal), Battery Metering Issues with 40D, Expensive (but not poor value) Dust Magnet, Dust Pump, Exposed Rear Element, Fat (hard to fit into Camera bags/lens slots), Heavy, Not Internally Focusing, Near unusable for AI Servo in poor light conditions and poor AF cameras...but once you see the photos it creates all this becomes irrelevant :)

[Apologies for the incomplete review from me posted below this one, I accidentally pressed the send button in the middle of typing Sad I'll make this review especially detailed to make up for the spam caused by my previous erroneous post]

---
Summary:
Overall: 10 (Awesome)
Build: 8 (Solid but a dust Pump and no weather Seal)
Price: 8 (Expensive but not poor value - worth every cent)
Price Paid: $2375 AUD Brand new from Camera Action Camerahouse, Melbourne Australia
---

Note this is a APS-C Review on a Canon 40D and Canon 400D (XTi):

People say this lens was built for the 5D. Well, I haven't used it on a FF camera yet, so I'm sure I'll be in for a treat. I'll post another review when I get a 5D/5D2 or 1Ds/1DsII/1DsIII

Firstly, this lens has MANY problems:
1. Chromatic Aberration. Far out it's bad wide open. It tends to dissipate (is that the right word?) from about f/1.6 to f/1.8 onwards, but it is horrible in high contrast conditions and metal/chrome objects. Having said that though, it is rarely an issue in 99% of photos, and stopping down mitigates it. I can only vaguely remember one or two photos where the CA wrecked the shot, and those photos were test shots anyway where I wasn't properly exposing and composing. Just be careful and don't be afraid to stop down a bit (if you can) in bright high contrast conditions.

2. Has Battery Metering issues with 70-80% of Canon EOS 40D's. Canon has acknowledged this issue but as of yet has not been able to solve the problem (or likely just sweeping it under the carpet given the 40D is now obsolete). Basically you will need to flick the off-on switch every 30 shots or so because of the battery will report "empty" incorrectly with this lens. Often a freshly charged battery will report empty before you even take one photo, so you'll have to do a off-on flick. Not all 40D's are affected - you may want to test out the lens on your 40D before buying if you are concerned.

3. Dust Pump. The inside of my rear element is full of fluff and dust after 6 months. Maybe my copy is unique in this regard, but it is an absolute dust magnet, and the extending front focusing design of the lens only contributes to this. Some report that it is easy to get dust off by unscrewing the rear mount and blowing off the dust, but the dust has not yet affected image quality so I think I'll leave it. I've gaffer taped the edges of the lens mount though because I think that's where the dust is going in.

4. AF: Not as slow as others say, but it is noticeably slow, especially if you are used to the blazing fast AF of the 70-200 lenses. This lens focuses nicely in low light on a 40D though, it doesn't tend to hunt that much. But mine hunts like crazy on a 400D in low light though.

Don't even think about using this for AI Servo in low light for a fast moving object, unless you have a Camera with awesome AF and you have good skills and can . AI Servo is usable in good light for something like bike rider, but in low light, the keeper rate is really low. (Doable in a pinch though). Note this is camera dependent too though.

5. Design Issues:
* Exposed Rear Element (basically level with the lens mount) - Although exposed and easily scratched and soiled, it is quite tough to Canon's credit
* Not Internally Focusing (only adds to the dust pump effect). When the lens focuses, the front extends, similar to the 50mm f/1.8 II.
* Focus By Wire (no MF if Camera is off) - what was Canon on when it gave the 85L this feature? It's especially bad for me because the 85L "just" fits in my bag's slot when its retracted, but if I forget to focus to infinity before dismounting the lens, I can't fit it in my bag Sad Partially my fault yes, but I doubt many would miss the focus by wire feature.
* Canon did a Tokina and put the Mounting Indicator (red dot) on the back of the lens rather than the side Sad It's a pain to mount this lens when you're under pressure, especially when you are also careful not to hit the rear element on the camera mount (because the rear element is basically level with the lens mount)
* Focus ring is a bit wobbly
* Canon for Christmas please give me IS (Image Stabilization) on this lens, thank you! :D (Not if it compromises Image Quality though)

6. Some other aspects of this lens that are interesting:
* Focus Ring has a very large range, you will have to do a few twists to cover the entire range. Good and Bad depending on the situation
* If you need a Lowepro Lens Case for it, the Lowepro 4s will fit it with the hood attached. Thanks to Bryan from the-digital-picture.com for this info. It is a good fit, but a teeny bit hard to put in and out because it is a little tight with the hood on. If you don't use the hood, the lens will bounce around inside the case, so you might want a smaller case if you don't use the hood.
* The hood is a clip on, not a Bayonet Mount. The hood looks ugly (its round not petal) and is a bit flimsy compared to the lens.

You know what, despite these issues, this lens still gets a highly recommended 10/10 from me. This lens is legendary, and well deserved.

An often asked question is "Why Canon over Nikon". Many photographers quote a simple word: 85L

The stuff you can do with this lens is just spectacular. Don't expect this lens to substitute for photography knowledge, skill and good light, but if you have these ingredients and you add this lens, then you will be capable of awesome results. If you suck, you will still suck after buying this lens. You have to earn the right to get great images from this lens.

The Bokeh (Boke) is just heavenly. I am not talking about the amount of background blur, I am talking about the quality of the background diffusion. It's just buttery smooth.

Image Quality? No worries from a APS-C perspective. I don't even have to say much here. This lens is sharp wide open. The contrast at a 100% crop level (micro contrast is it called?) is a tad lower than when stopped down, but this is ok because with a bit of sharpening in Photoshop - WOW. This lens sharpens up VERY well. If you are concerned with the sharpness of your copy, carefully take a photo of a flat surface with detail using MF aided by 10X Live View. It should look sharp. If its hazy or blooming, then you either stuffed up the test or your lens is stuffed up.

Seriously, it's sharp wide open, at least on APS-C 10MP sensors. This is coming from a pixel peeper who inspects the 100% view for EVERY photo he takes. Yes it does improve when stopping down though, mostly through improved contrast. From about f/1.6 onwards, not much can touch this lens for sharpness.

The biggest limit on sharpness though is imposed not by the lens resolving power, but by motion blur, low DOF and AF errors and CA.

At the end of the day, I have listed a whole list of nitpicks I have with this lens, but you quickly forget them when reviewing the images you take with this lens

Again, a warning, this lens will not make you into a super photographer. You will need to put in the hard yards in learning and practice, and this lens is a tool that you can use to demonstrate the knowledge and skills you gain. Expect much hardship (dealing with motion blur especially if you are used to IS lenses, dealing with AF issues, inaccuracies, AF calibration) but eventually you'll get better and better with it.

Highly Recommended!

Dec 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dawei Ye to your Buddy List
Dawei Ye

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Dec 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Lovely.
Cons:
CA (both lateral and longitudinal), Issues with 40D, Expensive, Overpriced, Dust Magnet, Dust Pump, Exposed Rear Element, Fat (hard to fit into Camera bags/lens slots)

APS-C Review:

This lens has many problems:
1. Chromatic Aberration. Far out its bad. It tends to disappear from about f/1.6 to f/1.8 onwards, but it is horrible in high contrast conditions. Sometimes visible on a 17 inch screen without zooming. Having said that though, it is rarely an issue in 99% of photos, and stopping down mitigates it.

2. Has Battery Metering issues with 80-90% of Canon EOS 40D's. Canon has acknowledged this issue but as of yet has not been able to solve the problem (or likely just sweeping it under the carpet given the 40D is now obsolete). Basically you will need to flick the off-on switch every 30 shots or so because of the battery will report "empty" incorrectly with this lens. Often a freshly charged battery will report empty before you even take one photo, so you'll have to do a off-on flick.

3. Dust Pump. Maybe my copy is

Dec 16, 2008
robackja

Registered: Jul 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: f 1.2, bokeh
Cons:
AF all the way. The focus is slow. Focus-by-wire

"focus-by-wire" is complete crap and I hope to never see it again on any other lens. I really do not know what advantage it can provide, but it really makes MF really difficult.

AF is quite slow, not as slow as the cheap 50/1.8II, but pretty close.

That being said, it the nicest lens I've ever worked it. f1.2-1.8 are quite sharp and f2 to f8 are razor sharp. I like the contrast and colors also. Its my favorite lens and is usually on the camera. I don't mind moving to get the picture with this lens.

Dec 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add robackja to your Buddy List
Xenedis

Registered: Feb 11, 2006
Review Date: Nov 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly wide aperture and low-light capability; sharpness and creamy bokeh.
Cons:
Slow autofocus and "focus-by-wire" mechanism.

I purchased my 85/1.2L II last June after looking at the unit owned by a fellow photographer.

For some time I had dismissed the 85/1.2L II as viable for the sort of low-light photography for which I wanted a fast tele-prime: Bands. Movement plus low light makes autofocus a challenge. I previously owned the 85/1.8, which has a much more rapid autofocus.

However, after looking at this lens again, I decided that the AF speed wasn't quite the show-stopper I had originally declared it to be, and that I had to have it; so I went and bought one very soon after.

I've used it for a band shoot, as well as numerous portrait sessions. It provides an extra stop over my since-sold 85/1.8.

The irony is that I use off-camera lighting for much of my portraiture, and it's simply not possible to take advantage of the depth of field (or lack thereof) with an f/1.2 aperture. Perhaps if I stacked ND or CP filters, I could get away with it; but that presents focus issues, and at any rate, for a lot of portraiture, an ultra-narrow DOF isn't necessarily desirable.

It's well known that this lens's autofocus is very slow. At the other end of the scale, the 135/2L's AF is ready before I am. I've not experienced such a rapid AF before, and it may even be quicker than my 300/2.8L IS.

Despite the 85/1.2L II's slow AF, one can adapt to work with it. Sure, there's a learning curve, and it may be necessary to shoot more, especially if shooting wide open. I wouldn't recommend it for sports, but I've not actually used it for this application; mine gets a lot of use for portraiture and the odd still-life subject.

It's a heavy, expensive lens, but feels comfortable (to me) to use. I don't mind heavy lenses, and weight is par for the course with a lens of this beauty's specifications.

I cannot say I'm keen on the focus-by-wire mechanism, but I can live with it.

If you're into portraiture, this lens is probably the most capable optic money can buy. The 135/2L is also a fantastic portrait length, and provides extra reach for more telephoto compression or more distance from the subject. Both produce very creamy background blur which so beautifully isolates the subject from an indistinct background.

Now, for some examples.

At f/1.2:

Stopped down:

More images taken with the 85/1.2L II:

If like myself you're drawn to ultra-fast primes, this one is not to be missed. If you're after a lens of this focal length suitable for indoor sports, the 85/1.8 would be the better choice.

I'd recommend the 85/1.2L II, as it delivers a magical, dreamy appearance to portraits when shot wide open.

When shot within its capabilities, it's a tool that will deliver exceptional results; but for the beginner, there could be a learning curve, and the narrow DOF wide open could result in OOF shots.

At its not-great minimum focus distance of 0.95m, this lens has a DOF of around 1cm when shot wide open. Very little room for error, but when you get it right, it will impress.

J.

Nov 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Xenedis to your Buddy List
nahminator

Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Review Date: Oct 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even wide open. Fast. Awesome DOF & bokeh. Amazing colors produced.
Cons:
Heavy for some, unless you gots some guns!

This lens is absolutely SICK! I call this lens "the beast". It's incredibly sharp, so fast, amazing build quality, and produces amazing IQ and color. It's my favorite lens along with the 35 1.4. I use this in many situations, but love it best for portraits and low light indoor shots. This lizzy for tizzy is not one to miss...foshizo.

Oct 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nahminator to your Buddy List
Ratnavel

Registered: Sep 17, 2007
Review Date: Oct 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Able shoot in low light situations, background blur
Cons:
Size/Weight, Price

Most reviews on here are very true, and I don't have much new to add. This is one magnificient piece (pieces) of glass. You already knew that..

Reason I am even posting is to tell all those non-pro types out there that the speed of focusing is not as bad people are saying. I was expecting macro style slowness... The speed is pretty good although not as fast as my 70-200 2.8 IS or 24-70 2.8.

If speed of focusing is what's holding you back, please go into your local camera store or get one off a friend and try it.

Oct 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ratnavel to your Buddy List
aeubank

Registered: Feb 20, 2006
Review Date: Sep 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great images, very sharp pictures! The BEST lens Canon makes!
Cons:
A little heavy, but good for me.

As others have stated this lens is legendary!! This lens focuses a little slow but hey it's not a sports lens. This lens is primarily designed for two purposes: portraiture, and low light shooting. This lens excells very nicely on both of my 5d's and never fails to deliver images that are truly legendary!

I would highly recommend this lens if you are a professional DEDICATED to the best equipment available for the Canon mount system. You cannot go wrong with this lens. The lens is full of glass from the rear mount all the way to the massive front element.

I highly recommend this lens if you're serious about your photography.

Sep 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aeubank to your Buddy List
mordicai

Registered: Oct 11, 2007
Review Date: Sep 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Color,Contrast,Sharpness, 1.2
Cons:
manual focus is weird,noisy AF on my 40d.

I've never felt the desire to post a review of a lens here, but this lens is a whole different ball game from my other L lenses. This lens has knocked my socks off since I opened the box. The dreamy quality of this lens is so fine. Check out sample pics on pbase.com . I love the weight. It helps me keep a steady hand.

Sep 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mordicai to your Buddy List
marcus riley

Registered: Sep 27, 2006
Review Date: Aug 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f1.2 speed and dof; sharp sharp sharp even wide open; unbelievable image quality; accurate AF; colors & contrast; !!!
Cons:
CA from about f1.8 down if not careful; focus a little slow; weight; other lenses get jealous ;)

This lens is amazing! After all the lenses I have gone through, this is the only one I REALLY care about and love. If not for this lens, I would seriously consider trying Nikon's promising new D700. If canon had other focal lengths with the same quality as this lens, I'd buy all of them regardless of price.

Weight can be annoying on a 20D or Rebel. Not bad on a 1 series body as it hangs level and doesn't swing.

CA can come in to play but after f1.8 they are pretty well controlled if not gone completely.

My version is so sharp at f1.2 that I NEVER feel the need to stop down until I need more DOF. I use f1.2-1.6 about 95% of the time.

Even with version II, focus is pretty slow on consumer bodies. Right on par with most macros it seems, though, much faster than my Sigma 150mm macro. On a 1dmkII body, the focus is much faster and even good enough for tracking kids around as long as you aren't too close.

I find focus to be accurate.

Flare is never an issue.

Colors are rich and accurate.

The minimum focus length could be shorter, but I can't complain as it's equal to most other lenses in it's class.

After first getting it, I was in a room with about 8 other photographers and I passed it around to let everyone try it. After that, I was constantly being asked if I had the lens when we met and if they could use it.

The image quality is amazing!

Aug 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marcus riley to your Buddy List
AlainPhoto

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Aug 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: can deliver incredible images
Cons:
nothing important (heavy, big, expensive, slow focus, wierd manual focus drive, expensive ...)

this lens is not legendary by mistake !

yes, on the paper you might question yourself about the crazy tradeoff you have to make versus the fantastic 85 1.8 !

yes, it's very expensive, big, heavy (1kg), the focus is not really the sport type (get noticably better with a pro AF though) ... all have been said here ... on paper yes, you have many reasons not to go for it

but it's a wonderful piece of glass, maybe the best available, who will produce wonderful images, can achieve focus in extremly low light, and who is really sharp at 1.2 !

so you will get less in-focus shot, but the images who will be in focus will be really better than any other lens can offer, so you'll take the trade-off

beware, if you try this lens, you'll want it. badly.

Alain

Aug 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AlainPhoto to your Buddy List
pobz

Registered: Aug 13, 2008
Review Date: Aug 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: quality L lens build, superb colour and sharpness, f1.2,
Cons:
poor manual focus implementation, slow AF, heavy and a little bulky, not weather proof

There's nothing more to report of the positive aspects of this lens that hasn't already been mentioned - the most important part is the quality image, and THAT is does pass with flying colours.

So, I will mention a few things about the operation of this lens that has surprised me a little.

There is no ring seal between the back of the lens which seals to the body. All my other L lenses do, so I am a little puzzled why this does not. Therefore even less weather-proof.

The manual focus operates electronically when switched to manual mode. (the focus ring activates electronically to the actual focus operation in the lens, unlike many other L lenses that are mechanically attached) The focus ring is VERY loose and easy to knock, therefore easy knock out of focus. It also has a long circumference in the focusing ring which is why the AF is slow damn slow. Sports lens or not, this for an L lens is quite shabby. The focus ring also moves at the same rate, like traditional lenses; unlike the neat short focus movement with a mechanical advantage ring which allows more movement with the ring of other canon lenses.

I think canon have cheapened the operation of this lens by not supplying, for example, switch for shortening the back focus given the huge focus ring circumference.

Be very careful putting this lens on the body as the back optic is pretty much flush and very wide. You need to be dead accurate.

Other than that, you'll get great images.

Aug 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pobz to your Buddy List
rentedmule

Registered: Jun 13, 2008
Review Date: Aug 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp everywhere
Cons:
heavy

Its not the equipment, its the photographer. Except for this lens and the 300f/2.8L IS. These two may be this best in Canon's stable right now. I am one of those guys who always buys the next grade down from the top. There are very few times when buying the "best" translates into proportional returns. This lens is the exception to my rule. After renting one for a week I ordered one for myself. It has been worth every cent. There may be a little learning curve but the best people shots I have taken to this point were taken the first day I put this lens on.

If you are serious about indoor people photography you need this one. The only problem you will have is all of a sudden your existing lenses will see less use as It is hard to take this one off the camera.

Aug 4, 2008