Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

351 544776 Oct 16, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

Brian Mitchell

Registered: Jun 7, 2007
Review Date: Jul 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, fast, good prime to start
Cons:
None for the price

For an entry level 50mm lens, and selling for about $79 on Amazon, this lens can't be beat. Some representative pictures that I've taken:

The key aspect of this lens is its flexibility. Flexible because it is light, so you'll take it everywhere in your bag, always ready to throw it on the camera when needed. And flexible because you can take pictures in very low light without a flash.. With the ISO turned up you can almost take pictures in the dark. You will see what I mean if you look at some of the above-linked pictures. Some of my best shots are there, and that is because this was the right lens at the right time.

If you already shoot with prime lenses, and are comfortable paying more, go for the f/1.4. I rented it once, and was impressed. It sells for under $300. But if you want to try out a great and almost equivalent lens, start out here. You need this lens.

Jul 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brian Mitchell to your Buddy List
Jim Gieber

Registered: Jun 28, 2007
Review Date: Jun 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Inexpensive, tack sharp above f5.6.
Cons:
AF is absolutely horrid in medium to low light, banging noise when in a hunting cycle feels like the poor little thing is about to explode.

This lens is NOT fast and sharp, wide open it's way to soft for crops. Above f5.6 it's sharp as a tack, but it ain't so fast anymore!!! Medium and low light the AF is almost unuseable, and am considering keeping it on MF, when this poor little thing hunts...it feels like it's gonna tear itself apart!! IQ is awesome (stopped down several times). For the price, I really shouldn't complain...I enjoy the fact that I can finally take some decent night shots, these I really don't mind being soft.

Jun 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jim Gieber to your Buddy List
StewartChao

Registered: Apr 12, 2007
Review Date: Jun 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ. Low cost. Excellent for portraits on 1.6X crop.
Cons:
Slow AF. Hunts in low-light. Not sharp wide open.

Jun 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add StewartChao to your Buddy List
Chris J

Registered: Jun 21, 2007
Review Date: Jun 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: price, image quality
Cons:
concerned about durabilty

Based on several recommendations here and elsewhere, passed on the kit lens for my new XTi, bought the 1.8 and borrowed a 70-300 from my brother in law while I figured out how to use us the Canon (my first "good" camera).

Couldn't be more pleased with the images from this little gem. Images seem sharp and color appears accurate.

Best of all, it makes the XTi in full auto about as simple to use as our old point & shoots so my wife does not get frustrated trying to catch a moment with the kids during the day while I'm at the office. Taught her to use the "foot zoom" (step forward or back) and & she's snapping good stuff all the time. Well worth it.

Jun 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chris J to your Buddy List
martinsmith

Registered: May 17, 2007
Review Date: Jun 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, image quality, bokeh
Cons:
Only that there aren't more versions with different focal lengths

I bought this lens shortly after my 70-200 L F/4, so I had high expectations from this lens. I wasn't disapointed.

The image quality is fantastic and very close to my L lens. My version is sharp even wide open. AF speed & noise which some have commented on are really not that bad. Yes it's built from plastic but as it's so light, this won't be an issue for me. If you throw the thing around it may break, but if you look after it I can't see this being an issue.

Jun 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add martinsmith to your Buddy List
tom s

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Jun 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, inexpensive, nice bokeh between f/1.8 and f/2, good colour and contrast, it focuses close (40cm)
Cons:
no USM, hunts in low light/contrast situations, average bokeh between f/2.2 and f/5.6, plain looks

Jun 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tom s to your Buddy List
tightwadhill

Registered: Jun 13, 2007
Review Date: Jun 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price to performance ratio is tough to beat. This little guy takes great pictures, and is a good stepping stone lens for new photographers.
Cons:
Cheap build, but I'll take it if it means I can get this lens for a mere $70.

There's no excuse to *not* own this lens. Unless perhaps you've stepped up to the 1.4 or 1.2. This one's great fun to play with and, for those of us new to the art, to learn with. It has its flaws, but for $70, you can't ask for TOO much!

Jun 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tightwadhill to your Buddy List
The Imagician

Registered: Jun 4, 2007
Review Date: Jun 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, sharp and contrasty
Cons:
It breaks too easily.

I have dropped and broken two of these things. When I get another one, I'm going to put a rubber grip around the barrel to add weight and to prevent it from slipping out of my sweaty fingers.

This lens has earned its nick names -- The Nifty Fifty and The Plastic Fantastic. If I had to have only one lens, it would be this one.

It makes beautiful portraits and is a great night life lens. I've told several of my friends to get the lens.

Jun 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add The Imagician to your Buddy List
Rafi Abramov

Registered: Feb 25, 2007
Review Date: Jun 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: (I have the MK1 version) Metal mount, distance window, dedicated and easy-to-use focusing ring, inexpensive, light, f/1.8
Cons:
One thing about the focusing ring... read on

I have the MK1 version of this lens, and it is fantastic. I bought this lens second-hand off craigslist, attached onto a EOS 850 for only $25! Now that is a deal!

I'm sure you all already know, but the MK1 version has a distance window which is quite useful, along with a dedicated focusing ring. Not that I am complaining (for this price especially), but there is no full-time manual focus in autofocus mode. It's not a problem at all, but just something to point out. I use manual focus 90% of the time anyway.

Besides that, I think I'm safe to say that the superb image quality is comparable to a L-series lens, aside from the bokeh of course. Background blur can be pretty harsh with a 6-blade aperture, but I personally enjoy it.

Be sure to buy a filter to protect it at all times since dust and grit can easily enter the lens due to it's "dug-out" kind of construction. Shouldn't be a problem to buy a filter though- it's a cheap 52mm size- definitely a plus.

A must-have in every photographers bag. I'd say to spend a little bit more money and get the MK1 version. You'll understand why. :D

Jun 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rafi Abramov to your Buddy List
Michael Hamilt

Registered: May 7, 2007
Review Date: Jun 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $74.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, AF and MF are very smooth and accurate, quick lens
Cons:
I wish it could focus closer.

I'm very new to DSLR or SLR for that matter. This was my first lens purchase for my newly acquired Rebel Xt and kit lens. I'm amazed at the clarity and sharpness when compared to my kit lens set at 50mm. I love it!!

Jun 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael Hamilt to your Buddy List
Kledi Andoni

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Location: Albania
Review Date: May 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, affordable, very light
Cons:
cant blame a lens that costs $70 for slow focus.

Since the day I bought this lens, it has been on my 400d. I am very happy with it and it performs beautifully starting from f1.8. nice bokeh, af is just fine with what I am used to on the 400d.

approx 80mm on the 1.6fcov cameras.

Especially for the price, I would highly recommend it.

May 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kledi Andoni to your Buddy List
pumbaa

Registered: Mar 18, 2007
Review Date: May 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARPNESS, BOKEH, CHEAP
Cons:
AF noisy, build cheapy

I have two copies of this lens and i'm satisfied of both. Although build quality is a bit fragile but with this price, it's not its weakness. Yes AF is noisy and it hunt a bit but not louder than the sound that produces the cam's shutter.

In term of optic quality, this lens produces excellent sharpness and bokeh. Colors reproduction is just very good and seem to be accurate, can be in comparaison with some L lens. Just dont forget to buy its hood, it increases significantly contrast and reduces flare.

Here are my some shots taken with this lens, almost all of them has no post processing:

This lens is a must for ALL, just buy it without hesitating and you will feel HAPPY with it

May 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pumbaa to your Buddy List
alexandre

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: May 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, little, 52mm filter, cheap, etc, etc, etc...
Cons:
It should cost at least 3 times more to have any cons.

Nuff said.

May 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add alexandre to your Buddy List
trevilla

Registered: Jan 8, 2007
Review Date: Apr 28, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $80.00

Pros: f/1.8, light, small
Cons:
AF fairly slow, plastic

This was my first lens after the kit 18-55. I really enjoyed the fast f-stop and the clarity of a prime lens compared to the low quality of the kit lens.

Paired with my 350D and 430EX, it makes a great lens for courtside basketball.

Apr 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trevilla to your Buddy List
wildestdreams

Registered: Jul 26, 2005
Review Date: Apr 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: My copy is extremely sharp throughout aperture range, AF/MF switch is smooth and relatively quiet, light-weight, color and contrast very good, bokeh is superb, focusing is not bad at all as far as speed (it's not like I'm going to be shooting sports with it), and who can beat the price for what you're getting? It needs careful handling but is easily replaceable at this price. My first test shots were of my husband, standing in the shade, no flash & wide open. Very impressive performance as noted above.
Cons:
When I picked up the delivery box, I wondered if anything was in it! It does look and feel like a toy. Very deceiving for what lies inside. My 10D feels unbalanced with it on...probably just not used to the lightness after my other lenses.

The good outweighs the bad by a mile with this lens.

Apr 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wildestdreams to your Buddy List
Daniel Hwang

Registered: Mar 18, 2007
Review Date: Apr 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Only $70, Very sharp images, Creamy bokeh
Cons:
AF/MF switch

This was my 2nd lense after 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lense.
@50mm the image quality difference is HUGE.
This little lense is extemely sharp even @ 1.8.

It looks like a toy with its cheap plastic body but with hood added on, it looks quite nice.

Only thing I don't like about this lense is its AF/MF switch.
It is really hard to switch as it gets stuck and won't let me switch smoothly.

Other than that, it is a great lense for its price.
$70 is nothing compared to the satisfaction you get from this lense.

Apr 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daniel Hwang to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II