Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

350 543818 Sep 26, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

gretar

Registered: Oct 11, 2005
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Oct 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, light, fast and $
Cons:
for $80, none.

Quite surprized by this small inexpensive lens. Very responsive, fast and light. Anyone on a budget (cannot buy L-series lenes) should own one. I've also tried the 50 mm/1.4, yes a better lens but 3 or 4 times more expensive. Build og sounds from the focus motor do not bother me. Examples of pictures using the 50 mm/1.8 with my Rebel XT taken during the last few days here in Iceland are to found at

The pictures were all shot in raw and converted with ACR and PS CS2.

Oct 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gretar to your Buddy List
dwolfbearer

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Inexpensive, light-weight, fast
Cons:
Not-so-sharp, cheapest build ever, loud

Decent lens if you are REALLY on a budget. I'd recommend upgrading the a 85 f/1.8 or 35 f/2 instead of this. In this range, I find my 17-85 to be of comparable quality, and my 70-200 f/4 was considerably better.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dwolfbearer to your Buddy List
VictorEngel

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: The lens is small, light, and sharp (but see cons). It's also extremely affordable.
Cons:
Focus issues. Sometimes getting good focus seems to be like playing Russian Roulette.

My main gripe about this lens is the lack of precision in focusing. It's almost as if the cogs making up the gears are too big, or that it operates using a stepper motor with not enough steps. I had to get three lenses before I found one that focused reasonably accurately. All three did the thing where it refocuses when already in focus if you depress the focus button. Due to a focusing issue, I sent it in to Canon for calibration (along with my other lens and Canon 10D camera). Unfortunately, the first time I sent it in, they didn't really do anything, so I had to send it in again. And finally a third time. The good news is that after the third time, it stopped doing its refocus thing. Another manifestation of this "refocus thing" is if you put the camera in AI Servo mode, mount the camera on a tripod and focus on a flat subject, say a meter or two away, the lens refocuses so wildly it almost seems to vibrate. It no longer did this after the third time into the shop.

I don't know whether the problem was my camera or lens or the combination, but this issue did not manifest with other lenses.

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add VictorEngel to your Buddy List
bkriete

Registered: Mar 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile, inexpensive, light-weight, nice picture quality and very fast, balances nicely on 300D
Cons:
Focus ring is terrible for manual focus, seems to hunt in poor light despite being a fast lens.

This was the first lens I bought to use on my 300D. I have used it quite a bit for portraits, concerts, and even some landscape-type shots. It remained permanently attached to my camera for several months after I got it. For the price, it's a great lens; if it was twice as much it still wouldn't be a bad buy. I don't mind the plastic lens mount, and the build quality is perfectly adequate for my use. I have dropped it off my desk and dropped my camera a foot or two, lens-first, with this lens attached in an unpadded bag with no negative consequences.
The only drawbacks I notice with this lens are that the focus seems to hunt more in low-light than my USM-equipped lenses, even though this lens is twice as fast as any of them, and that the manual-focus ring is ergonomically very poor, being perhaps a 1/4" thick and offering a relatively poor "feel" to focusing.
I think it's a very useful and versatile lens, and certainly worth buying. I would be happy to answer any questions about my experiences with it, or provide sample pictures.

Oct 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bkriete to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Oct 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price colurs sharpness weight
Cons:

Fanstic lens for the price very sharp light and 1.6 crop its great for portraits at 80mm

Oct 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
jasonblmu

Registered: Jul 29, 2005
Review Date: Sep 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and inexpensive. Produces really nice photos in low-light, especially with 20D high ISO performance. Great for portraits!
Cons:
Relatively noisy AF and can tend to be slow in low-light..manual focus ring is so small!

As most have said, this is a must have in many bags. Not only for the sharpness of the photos it can produce but for lack of space it takes up in your bag and the price!

I have the 20D, so I can't say that I use this lens as a walk-around, the 1.6x crop is just too much for indoor group photography, which is what I tend to do a lot of. However, for working outdoors at party's and such this lens comes in very handy. Also, this is a great lens for portrait shots of 1-3 people, or even for pets. I also used this lens at an indoor soccer shoot which worked nicely because I had enough room for composing photos and I had the F/1.8 to work with the light! Photos came out very nice and the AF actually kept up!

For the few times that I have used this lens on the 20D, it has given me such quality photos that I have no regrets about the purchase.

Highly reccomend!

Sep 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jasonblmu to your Buddy List
zakazmi

Registered: Jun 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: everything, good low light performance, very sharp @ 1.8, good cheap price hence the 9 rating in the build
Cons:
build, but then for what i bought i shouldn't be expecting anything else either.

I tried in portrait photography [studio] mostly on my 300D, it performed very well and since i bought it second hand, i think i couldn't be more pleased at the price.

very sharp, i didn't seem to notice any problems @1.8 and i am very glad with my copy. an absolute keeper especially if you are on a budget.

Sep 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zakazmi to your Buddy List
Glenn Connelly

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Sep 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: FAST...SMALL&LIGHT! CHEAP....Not as bad of build quality as i expected
Cons:
Dont like the lens hood, miss focus window

From reading reviews on this website and on others i was expecting this lens to just fall apart as soon as i mounted it on my camera. I opened the box and was surprised that it seemed to be better build quality than the 20D kit lens 18-55mm. The barrel doesnt wiggle, and the manual focus ring, while awkward to handle precisly, was very smooth. Smoother than my 24-85 USM's manual focus ring that wobbles and is small also.
The auto focus like everyone has said is extremely noisy, especially when i have been shooting pretty much none stop with a USM lens. The auto focus hunts a little bit and it is hard to tell sometimes if its actually focused because it "bounces" around the focal point. I dunno maybe thats just in my head. But that said the focus is quick and accurate when it locks on and doesnt hunt.
But lets not forget the QUALITY of this lenses pictures. A little soft, but very acceptable at f/1.8, it is excellant when stopped down to f/2.8. This lens is very fast and great quality. This is the first prime lens I have had and i cant wait to take more pictures with this. Available light has always been out of reach with consumer zooms like f/5.6.

Great Lens....cant say enough about it! For $75 and cheaper why not!

Sep 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Glenn Connelly to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: Sep 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, light & CHEAP.
Cons:
None for the price

Everybody should have one of these, best value lens Canon make.
I always made a habit of carrying a 50mm but went a couple of years without after a kit re-shuffle, but have since mended my ways.
Similar weight to a lens cap, very sharp and at f1.8 a great low light rescue lens. AF works well, ok it's got a plastic mount but it's not holding any weight and mine has not deteriorated a bit in a year of use.
These used to be standard lenses on SLR's for good reason.

Sep 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dean Treml to your Buddy List
samk2

Registered: Sep 5, 2005
Review Date: Sep 5, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap and lightweight.
Cons:
Very poor build quality and no focussing scale. Not very sharp until stopped down to about f/5.6

I bought this because it was quite cheap, and it is worth its low price, but not much more. It is well below average in quality for a 50mm prime. I think that people who don't have experience with fast primes from the old days are impressed with it because of the out of focus backgrounds, which creates the illusion of sharpness in the main subject. In fact, it is not very sharp until you stop down to about f/5.6. Canon would do a better service to its customers by offering a 50mm f/1.8 that costs more than this one does and increases quality to the usual standard for this kind of lens (e.g., similar to a Nikon 50mm f/1.8).

Sep 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add samk2 to your Buddy List
a.rivard

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very inexpensive. Good, auto-focus. Can produce clean & sharp images.......
Cons:
Manual focus ring.

I was attracted to this lens because of price and quality. Reviews for this glass have been very kind in terms of high optical quality, which I cannot refute, but users who require the amenity of USM & better build quality could probably be better served by paying more with the Canon 50 f1.4, or for apc sensor - the new Canon 60mm f2.8. Regardless, the f1.8 II is a favorite lens. Have used this lens for primarily street & portrait, and some close focus work with EOS D300 Rebel. sample - http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/308/146860.jpg

Aug 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add a.rivard to your Buddy List
TeeJay

Registered: Apr 8, 2005
Review Date: Aug 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp images, decent bokeh for such a cheap lens.
Cons:
AF Hunts in low light. AF is somewhat noisy(atleast mine is)

I bought a Canon 28-135mm lens last April(2005) from the fredmiranda forums, and the seller was nice enough to throw in the 50mm 1.8 II for free since I was so new do DSLR photography. What a nice guy. Anyways, considering this lens was free, its the ONLY lens I use for portraits at the moment. Its pretty cheap if you were to actually buy it too, and I would have paid for it if I had to. Nice lens, so-so build quality, but a must for every camera bag.

Aug 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TeeJay to your Buddy List
ducati0000

Registered: Jul 24, 2005
Review Date: Aug 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $55.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Affordable,excellent sharpness,AF is good,did I mentioned affordable?.
Cons:
plastic,somewhat loud when searching on AF.

What more can you ask for the price this lens is selling for?..very sharp images,well defined colours,some what accurate AF..so its plastic and noisy when searching..the main thing is the glass is very good and the results are very impressive.No regrets.

Aug 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ducati0000 to your Buddy List
Teppo

Registered: Apr 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Quite sharp, decently fast autofocus. Cheap!
Cons:
Not-so-convincing build quality, but not a big deal. Somewhat noisy autofocus. Not very nice for manual focus.

For the price all the lens you could hope for. While it could be built better, it doesn't feel like it's about to fall apart. Focus speed is OK, but the operation is a bit noisy. The manual focus ring is skimpy and not very nice to use. But given the price, can't complain really.

Aug 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teppo to your Buddy List
Jeff Haveman

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, excellent price!
Cons:
Cheap build quality

This lens cannot be beat for the price. It was the first lens I added to my bag and I am going to keep it....unless I find an amazing deal on the 50/1.4.

The build is cheap (plastic mount), but I have never found it to be a problem. I find that it focuses fast and is sharp.

Aug 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeff Haveman to your Buddy List
ddraig

Registered: Jul 30, 2005
Review Date: Aug 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: So far, very good. I've had only a couple of days with it (and very limited time at that!), but it seems light, sharp, and accurate - what's not to like? Sometimes one will equate "light" with "cheap" (not inexpensive) - this isn't the case. I bought it as a way of recycling some of my 52mm front end kit, and I like it.
Cons:
None so far.

Aug 12, 2005