Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

349 542701 Feb 12, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

hewcanon

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, sharp, cheap
Cons:

Excellent for potraits on a 1.6 factor digital SLR. A must have for Canon owners. No other lens gives the same value for money. Not for landscape or scenery use though, get better results with the Canon 28-105mm and Tamron 19-35mm.

Go for it any Canon owner. Unmatched sharpness, shallow field for portraits, and excellent clear colours. Focusing not USM and therefore noisier and slower. But who cares at this price !!

Mar 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hewcanon to your Buddy List
tellingthm

Registered: Jan 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, small, light, CHEAP!
Cons:
af can be slow at times, especially in low-light; cheap build quality- but neither of these matter considering what you pay for this lens.

unless you already own a bunch of primes, or the 50 1.4 (at 3-4 times the price), this lens should be a no-brainer addition for anybody. it's price makes it extremely affordable to basically anybody that can afford a camera. it is as sharp as my L zooms, which is saying a lot. it's so small and light that you can just put it in your pocket. build quality leaves a lot to be desired, but at this price who really cares?
the only complaint i have about this lens is the af sometimes lags compared to lenses with usm, but considering what this lens costs, i could care less.

Feb 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tellingthm to your Buddy List
jroden144

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Feb 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, image quality, size, weight
Cons:

I bought this lens new several years ago and used it first on a Canon EOS Elan 7E 35mm body. I got rid of my Elan and put this little gem on a 20D. Very rarely have I taken a bad picture with this lens. I've used this lens extensively in low-light situations and it never fails to deliver. It's probably the lightest Canon lens available. It's a bit long on a 1.6 crop body, especially indoors, but it's superb outside. This is a lens I'll never part with because if I drop it or it gets ruined, I'm not out too much money. This is definitely a must-have lens and I highly recommend it.

Feb 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jroden144 to your Buddy List
pj1974

Registered: Feb 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Good low light POSSIBILITIES...., also useful as a portrait lens
Cons:
poor build quality, many bad (inaccurate focussing) copies - mine was one of them

I would be able to rate this lens MUCH higher if my copy was not one of the dreaded "front focussing" ones. At any apertures less than say f5.6 it makes it very useless at close range, where the shallow depth of field makes the subject blurred. I wanted to use this lens for indoor (low light) and portrait work, but it front focusses so badly I can.

However having said that I have seen other people making great photos with this lens. And if I'm outside and stop it down or don't focus on a close subject (so the depth of field is very big) it can give me beautiful, clear and sharp results.

I hope to get my lens replaced or repaired when I'm next in the UK (where I bought it from). But as I live in Romania I can't get it serviced under warrantee here. Even for a cheap lens, the build quality should be better, and not so many copies with bad alignments. Also, sometimes the focus ring gets "stuck" especially at the "closer / macro" end of things, and I need to go to manual focus, move it out and then it will AF again correctly.

Feb 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pj1974 to your Buddy List
misanthropic a

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Review Date: Feb 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $69.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, ultra sharp, ultra light, ultra small, dirt cheap. A must have lens.
Cons:
Plastic, loud and slow AF, tiny MF ring, but its a 70 dollar lens...

Paid 70 bucks for this lens, and its tack sharp, super light and discreet. The AF motor is very loud and when seeking can grind a bit, but for this price I knew I wasn't getting a "pro" quality lens. The glass is what counts and its incredible, even wide open.

Feb 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add misanthropic a to your Buddy List
Glacon

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Feb 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Pleasantly sharp, fast, an decent all round lens.
Cons:
AF/MF doesn't always work. 50mm probably not the best on a 1.6x.

I received this as a birthday present and was eager to try it out. The first thing I noticed was that the AF didn't seem to be working. After switching back and forth between AF/MF the lens eventually started working. Obviously not a good start.
But the speed of the lens and the sharpness of the images was quite good. I would not have thought the lens to be so cheap for the quality I was getting.
However, after a week of use on my 20D, I've found that I've had to move back from subjects in order to fit them into the photo. I would be very much interested in using the Sigma 30mm F1.4 HSM on a 1.6x camera.

Feb 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Glacon to your Buddy List
beezlebub

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Feb 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, cheap, fast and excellent pictures
Cons:
Faulty AF/MF switch

Build quality is an issue, I am on my third in as many weeks because the auto-manual switch is faulty and it doesn't always work on all three lense including the current one.

Dealership also confirms this is a problem as they have tested each lens I've returned on their cameras but when Canon was contacted they didn't have a clue.

Same problem with either my 350D or EOS3 but no problem with my other 4 lenses so it isn't the camera thats faulty. At this price I would not argue build quality ordinarily as it is a great lens but faulty switches are unacceptable whatever the price. So check your lens MF/AF switch as you may also have the same problem.

Feb 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add beezlebub to your Buddy List
Herbie

Registered: Dec 29, 2005
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $94.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, fast and sharp
Cons:
Plastic (who cares for this price?)

Excellent lens for indoor without flash, and also on my 350D a good overall lens.
Everyone must have this one in his bag!!
The 50mm 1.4 USM is almost 4x this price, but not 4x better!!!!

(price in €)

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Herbie to your Buddy List
Califfoto

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Jan 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price, F-Stop, Extremely quick
Cons:
The Opticals need to be a little bit more refined

Very nice lens. I usually use it for portraits.
Love the low f-stop which is pretty unique for the price.

Here's an example:

Jan 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Califfoto to your Buddy List
f8stop

Registered: Jan 28, 2006
Review Date: Jan 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: price performance
Cons:
you better like plastic

Yep, it is cheap, plastic, and ugly. Now go out a take pictures with a lens for less then $100 and compare to your buddies $1000+ lens. Then take a picture of your buddy and his new 50mm 1.8

Jan 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add f8stop to your Buddy List
Ranj906

Registered: Jan 27, 2006
Review Date: Jan 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good Quality, Excellent Price and you get f1.8!
Cons:
None really.

This is my first post here at FM and I am a newbie to the world of DSLR. I just wanted to say that I have been reading a varity of reviews and I think they are excellent. Thank you to you all and to FM!.

This is my first Canon prime lens and boy was I impressed. Just purchased a 350D at christmas and soon after got this lens. I sent the first one back since there was some debris in the lens. The dealer replaced it very quickly and I have been very happy since.

I share the same views with everyone else here in that the picture clarity is excellent. The f/1.8 allow you to produce the brokeh effect very close up to the subject. (I've always wanted to do this - pretty impossible with my P&S)

With the cost of a new camera body, battery grip and flash, I was not in the mood to fork out for anything else right now, but I'm so glad I've purchased this lens.

The build quality is nothing to be worried about at all. People say it is plasticky etc etc etc. Once it's on you camera you won't be bothered by it at all.

Everyone is right in that every camera bag should have one of these, it's so small and light that you won'y even notice it is there.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ranj906 to your Buddy List
opusthecat

Registered: Jul 27, 2005
Review Date: Jan 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $69.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Uhhh...SHARP! 1.8! Inexpensive!
Cons:
None. Perfect product for the money you pay!

You can't go wrong with this lens and every Canon owner should have one. Why this lens isn't classified an "L", I don't know? It is as sharp and maybe sharper than my 200mm L prime. It makes the most buttery smooth bokeh for portraits. The indoor and outdoor pictures I have taken of my son are incredible. They always get a huge "WOW" factor.

It would have been awesome if it was capable as a macro lens but for the price, you cannot complain at all about it. Reviewers that give it low marks for it's plastic case (it's very sturdy, almost metal feeling) or it's lack of macro shouldn't knock their review marks down as they are forgetting the price here. If this lens was $200+ then I would expect those things.

Again, for the price you will not find a better lens. Even forgetting the price, you get a hell of a sharp lens better than most L lenses I own.

Jan 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add opusthecat to your Buddy List
kennyahn

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $74.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, light, sharp, fast
Cons:
bokeh not as good as f/1.4

At this price level, I can't see why every photographer wouldn't have one in their bag.

Jan 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kennyahn to your Buddy List
snowfooled

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: fast, and sharp
Cons:
auto focus searches a little in low light/deatail situations

good product light and fast. it is my first lens and would recomend it as a first lens or to the seasoned photographer.
works good all around.

Jan 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add snowfooled to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: It`s got to be worth the money
Cons:

I didn`t get around to rating this lens because most people know that it is a really good performer but just this week put it up against my Contax 50 1.7 OK the Contax really does bring home the bacon in the corners but the central area belongs to my Canon. I`m as surprised as you might be about this but on the 1dsmk2 I can`t fault the Canon(except for build quality)

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
plove53

Registered: Dec 16, 2004
Review Date: Jan 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price!
Cons:
Nothing!

If you are on a tight budget like I am this is a must have lens! After reading the reviews here I thought I should get one. I paid around 70 bucks for it NEW (B&H). It very sharp, and its a great portrait lens.

Here are some samples I do not have samples of portraits (post some soon) but here is some landscape samples:

-phil