Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

350 558372 May 29, 2016
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

Maliketh

Registered: Nov 6, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, lightweight, fast 1.8 aperture, discreet
Cons:
Poor build quality, Gathers dust quickly, no distance scale, cheesy focus drive sound

When I first got this lens, I was quite impressed with the beautiful background blur and it's low light capabilities. It was also amazingly sharp on my 350d.

One big problem for me was dust. Because of the low quality build, you can feel the lens creak and move which means that nothing is really sealed. Dust infection was quite apparent after owning the lens for about 6 months, however I still use it, all be it with only minimal loss of contrast and such.

For the money you can't get anything better than this, and as a beginner in photography I really learnt a great deal through the use of this lens, due to the large apertures available for testing depth of field etc.

If you are thinking of buying a new camera, go for a body only and purchase this lens. Creatively, you will acheive so much with this lens. Portraits and candids take on a whole new life with this little thing. DOF is so short at f1.8 but you can shoot in quite dimly lit places easily.

I could honestly say though, that I will never buy this lens again, due to the lack of sealing and such. Dust inside a lens is basically a death sentence, in my opinion anyway, so to replace this, I would go for something more expensive, but with good weather sealing.

Sep 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Maliketh to your Buddy List
routerguy666

Registered: Aug 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, optical quality.
Cons:

Great lense. Cheaply built but what's on the inside is very good stuff. Priced low enough that if I were to drop it and crack the housing I would simply go buy another the same day. This is a nice lense for shooting subjects that present a lot of fine detail. I have used it to shoot a number of architectural subjects. It also makes a nice lense for portaits once you get a feel for handling the very thin DOF. Assuming you get past the point of only having the nose in focus or one eye in and one eye out of focus, you'll love the bokeh behind your subject and wonder how Canon can release such a great little piece of equipment for so little money. On a recent vacation, with a bag full of glass, I found myself swapping between this and the 85mm 90% of the time.

Sep 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add routerguy666 to your Buddy List
na_tra

Registered: Oct 24, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value for great little prime lens.
Cons:
stiff at the MF/AF switch.

Great value for great little prime lens. mine produces sharp and clear pix despite of some dirt inside the lens. the CA control at 1.8 is much better than my two previously owned 85 1.8. If you add on the Kenko Extension Tubes Set, you are Rock.

Sep 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add na_tra to your Buddy List
nblake

Registered: Aug 20, 2006
Review Date: Aug 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Light and versatile, Cheap!, Great for portraits with blurred background and sharpness is fantastic. Oh Yeah it's so Cheap!
Cons:
Needs a little post processing but easily fixed with WB, I am just trying for the perfect picture with a $100 lense! Almost achieved. This lens takes a little practice as different light and scenes will really test your choice of setup though if achieved the results are pretty fantastic.

I am definatley a new learner with SLR photography and wished someone had told me about this lens when I bought my camera a few months ago(It was Hong Kong), should have done my research with this site instead.

I bought a Sigma 18-50mm originally and for the money it's a good zoom lense though it lacks the characterics that make the 50mm 1.8 such a good lens. I picked it up my new lense today and havent been able to stop wowing over the sharp pics and great contrast the same I've seen on some of the $3-4k lenses.

Definatley a must own if you cannot afford the 1.4 USM. Here is a some pics I captured from f1.8-f22 outside in lower light.

As you can see the blurred background with aperature open wide is impressive and though in these conditions the lens doesnt start to perform until it reaches f3.2. An Indoors shot which I took didnt look good until f2.8. I bought this lens for a better picture not to use specifically as a low light lense and it certainly hasn't disapointed.

Aug 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nblake to your Buddy List
bollywood1970

Registered: Jun 29, 2006
Review Date: Aug 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The price is unbelievable for what you get.This lens is super in low light conditions! Great for taking pics in dark areas where you do not want a flash used.It help keep the ambience. I think a perfect spot for this lens would be capturing a candlelit dinner in a low light restaurant, or a stage play where flash is not permitted. There are so many other great applications for this lens. I am not to fond of using flashes, so this defiinately is a super way of getting around that. For $ 110 I am very happy!
Cons:
I wish it had a zoom lens.
Aug 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bollywood1970 to your Buddy List
bubbles55

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $72.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Dirt cheap, sharp, good clean images.
Cons:
Stiff manual/AF switch.

I don't understand why people would stick with the horrid kit lens that comes on the XT when they could have this baby. Where else are you going to get an aparature of 1.8 for anywhere near this price?

The cheap "feel" of the lens that people complain about is silly. It's not a 600mm lens that needs to be built like a tank. It's small, lightweight and perfect for what it is.

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bubbles55 to your Buddy List
ibilly

Registered: Aug 29, 2005
Review Date: Aug 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP, light, teeny, CHEAP, non-intimidating
Cons:
MF switch/ring, build quality is just OK

This is my favorite lens, though the 10-22 is really close. For low light, sports you can get near to, people, candids, fun, or if you just need a sharp pic of something, this is your lens.

I got mine used for $65 on ebay, and despite the cheap plastic build, I've NEVER had any sort of quality problem with it.

It is quite easily the sharpest lens I have, and was the least expensive.

It took some of the best shots in my HS yearbook. Fast+sharp=great for event photography. It comes out to 80mm on a crop body, which is very good IMO. While it's not your 'normal' length, it is long enough to rely on when your tele-zoom (mine is a cheap, 5.6 one) gets too dark & slow for the event.

Indoor gyms, night games, etc., this lens let me keep my shutter speed up and my ISO down when others were struggling to get a sharp picture.

I HEARTILY recommend this lens to EVERYONE. I really love it!

Aug 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ibilly to your Buddy List
Alex Nail

Registered: Aug 2, 2006
Review Date: Aug 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp. Sharp. Sharp. Great colour.
Cons:
Build is average. Some focussing problems on occasion. Manual focus hard to operate.

For the price this lense is incredible. It is so sharp it makes USM redundant.

Aug 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alex Nail to your Buddy List
flawlessly

Registered: Jul 17, 2006
Review Date: Jul 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, sharp, best bang for the buck!
Cons:
Poor build, easy to break, needs extra care for it!

Every Canon users should have one in their bags. This is the 1st lens that you have to buy for being a Canon dude! :-)

Jul 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flawlessly to your Buddy List
EOSshooter

Registered: Jul 4, 2006
Review Date: Jul 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, Sharp, f1.8.
Cons:
cheaply built

At this dirt cheap price, there is no lens perform as good as the EF 50mm f1.8 MKII. Truely the best first lens for Canon users.

Jul 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EOSshooter to your Buddy List
aero145

Registered: Jul 1, 2006
Review Date: Jul 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra-sharp, light, small, front element does not rotate during focusing.
Cons:
Focus ring small, loud focus, AF/MF switch pretty stiff.

This lens is an ultra-sharp fixed-focal lenght lens.

I haven't got anything to say about it other than this:

'The photos taken on the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens are TOO sharp for me! Almost un-possible to use the shots, they're TOO sharp. However, if you only use orginals, its sharpness is good. :-)'

If you go into menu on your 20D, and put sharpness down, the sharpness is OK.

Jul 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aero145 to your Buddy List
kevmar

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Jun 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheapish, Nice brokeh, Light
Cons:
Pastic, noisey, but if you've got the money, you wouldn't had got it.

This was the first lens i brought for my EOS300D, which is still sitting on it (my other lenses have migrated onto the 20D).

Popped it on the camera after i brought it, clicked away and was getting some very nice long townscape shots, with lovely colour rendition.

In low light, this lens knocks spots of anything I have. It gives a lovely depth of field and lovely brokeh... (one of my nicest portrait shots was done on the London Underground, no flash, and a steady hand)

If you're starting out, this is a good lens to have as it will teach to work with camera and experiment with the modes on it.

Yes, we can moan about how plastic it is, how noisey and how there's practicly no focusing ring. If you want that.. you get the Mark I... which I got in the end for the focusing ring (which in studio, is a godsend... switch off the AF and start thinking for yourself).

Treat it with a bit of respect... don't knock it much, and it will pay you back every time you use it.

Jun 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kevmar to your Buddy List
jthai

Registered: Aug 2, 2004
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It is sharp at F2.8... very sharp at F5.6... Good price
Cons:
Cheap quality build.. soft at F1.8.

For the money, this lens is great deal... It is very sharp at F5.6.. I can say the sweet spot is F5.6 not at F8..
For close shot this is work well with Manual focus.. For 2 feet distance from the object, this lens does not work well with AF.. compare between Manual focus and Auto Focus at 2 feet distance. Manual focus was sharper..

Recomend to buy this lens for the money.. For build quality should get the 50 F1.4

Jun 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jthai to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness Detail Contrast Accurate color Price!
Cons:

A great lens at three times the price. If you have a Canon, then you need to have this lens. It's as close to the 50mm f/1.4 as you can get (except for build) without having to pay the f/1.4 price.

Jun 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
Rixu

Registered: Jan 16, 2006
Review Date: Jun 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: cheap, sharp
Cons:
5 degrees to the right pictures

see above

Jun 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rixu to your Buddy List
TomWilko

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: Jun 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: - Look at the price you pay for the quality you get! - Small, light and just sits in the corner of your bag all day waiting to be used - F/1.8...brilliant
Cons:
- Nothing I can see

I bought this lens as I was told by reviews and in general that this was Canons best value lens by a long shot.

Simple fact...it is. The quality, bokeh and ease of use make this lens an absolute joy to use. I have my 70-200 F/4 L for Motorsport and everything else I pretty much do with this.

The standard kit lens from a Rebel XT (350d) looks like the poor relation in comparison to this lens and because of which I never use it.

Jun 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TomWilko to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II