Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

514 982637 Mar 16, 2014
ef17-40_4l_1_

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

Matthew Leffle

Registered: May 3, 2007
Review Date: May 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $520.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, tough, flare resistance, great range, red ring :P!
Cons:

Great lens for both full-frame and crop-sensor cameras. It is durable, not too heavy, but well-built. The sharpness blows me away...It is very sharp. This lens will stay in my kit even when I get my 5DmkII or 1Ds!

May 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matthew Leffle to your Buddy List
elfanucchi

Registered: Jul 5, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and Great Value
Cons:

Sharp and Great "L" value.
Shot mostly short and wide.
Some Flair w Hoya MC UV 0A when shooting
in direction of Sun ...
but then what do you really exect ??

May 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add elfanucchi to your Buddy List
yashiguru

Registered: May 14, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: May 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, constant aperture, very good optics
Cons:
Chromatic aberrations wide open

I own mine for a couple of weeks replacing a tamron 17-50 f/2.8.
Impressions till now:
- excellent build quality, smooth focus and zoom ring though I like more the ones on 70-200
- USM - fast and reliable focus
- f/4 is slow for interiors (look for a faster lens)
- light around 500g, easy to carry
- the hood is ugly but that's not a problem
- on 400D at the same aperture ( f/4 ) is sharp as the tamron in the center and much sharper in the corners
- exhibits chromatic aberrations wide open even in the center of the frame stopping down helps eliminating them (are gone by f/5.6)
- comparing both lenses at f/11 I noticed much better contrast and sharpness from canon (lower degradation caused by diffraction)
- the tamron at 17mm is a little wider than the canon

hope this helps

May 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yashiguru to your Buddy List
normygordy

Registered: Aug 21, 2006
Review Date: Apr 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, light weight.
Cons:
Horrible hood.

I first used this lens on my 30D as a walk around, but never quite went wide enough, or far enough. I tried Sigma 18-50 f2.8 which was great but still lost out on the wide end and focus hunt was awful. I finally upgraded to a 5D with a 24-105L - my dream combination since it came out a few years ago, but finally at a price I could reach. But what a weight, and distortion at 24mm very noticeable if not careful with positioning. Then the 17-40L when on and wow, full frame is what this lens was really made for. In combination with my 70-200L, is is everything I have always wanted. OK - it could go just a tad longer, and to f2.8, but then it would be a whopper again, and with the image quality of the 5D, cropping to the equivalent of around 80mm is a piece of cake.

Apr 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add normygordy to your Buddy List
nico_p

Registered: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Angola
Review Date: Apr 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality, weight, price, ideal range for landscape on full frame.
Cons:

I use this lens on a 5D and it is far better than my 24-105 in terms of image quality. The colours pop, the images are crisp, the skies are awesome. I didn't do any sharpness test, but it is plenty sharp for me (printing up to A3). I use it a lot on a tripod, closed down from F8 to F22.

The range is really great for landscape on a full frame camera, from super wide to almost normal. Coupled with a 70-200 I have all I need when I know I can spend time on setting up my tripod, change lens, etc.

It is truely a joy to use with a 5D, and if you are using a tripod and good technique you can quite easily obtain great, great, great results from this lens. Be carefull with polarizers, don't use them at full strength at 17mm otherwise you'll get strange looking skies!

On a 1.6 camera I think there are much better alternatives (17-55 2.8 for instance, or the Tamron alternative). 17 is not that wide on these cameras, and 40 feels short compared to 55, so in my opinion it does not qualify as a good walk around lens on these bodies.

The equivalent of this lens on a 1.6 camera is a 10-22 or 12-24.

It was really designed for full frame.

Apr 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nico_p to your Buddy List
Anthony Hope

Registered: Dec 14, 2006
Review Date: Apr 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens is superb, its very very sharp, with great colours, contrast and it makes the sky look 3D. Its better than the 10-20mm and 24-105mm and produces better colours and contrast than the excellent 85mm F1.8. Fantastic. Anthony www.hopesphotos.co.uk

Apr 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Anthony Hope to your Buddy List
cuffer

Registered: Jan 26, 2008
Review Date: Apr 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: good wide to normal zoom range for a crop boddy, great quality (build and optically)
Cons:
supplied lens hood is a bit much on a crop body and does shadow the onboard flash

I've seen a few other reviews that praise this lens as a good choice for the 40D and I can only concur. If you need something faster, this isn't it, but I love it for landscapes and as a general purpose zoom on the crop body.

I originally picked this lens as a compromise, concerned that it wouldn't be wide enough on the 40D, but not wanting to get heavily invested in lenses that would not cover full frame. So far, I've been more than pleased and feel no need to go wider for what I shoot - at least for now.

Apr 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cuffer to your Buddy List
Joshua June

Registered: May 14, 2007
Review Date: Apr 7, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Nice lower cost L series Glass, sharp to the edges, buy a refurbished one to get a guaranteed calibrated piece.
Cons:
No matter How I tried... I could not get it to function in low light or indoors.

I am going to keep my rating a 10, but with this caveat; I needed it for indoor film noir work after testing it in super contrasty bright outdoor work. I was beguiled by the easter like explosions of color but was quite disappointed when I brought the lens inside, in less contrast environments. Which is not the purpose of this glass, thus the rating stays a 10, I'm just saying be careful when using this with an Xti or the like where anything beyond ISO 400 looks like crap thus forcing you into higher exposure settings... Not to mention it really finds some creative depths to focus on in low light giving you some very strange albeit frustrating photos.

Apr 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joshua June to your Buddy List
Ralph Wagner

Registered: Feb 10, 2002
Review Date: Apr 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Does what it is supposed to do.
Cons:

For the price of this lens there is no better value.

Apr 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ralph Wagner to your Buddy List
jkurtz

Registered: Mar 5, 2008
Review Date: Mar 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Extremely sharp. All that is expected of an "L" lens. Quick AF.
Cons:
Not a 2.8. Not so wide anymore on a crop body, but thats not the lens' fault.

This was my first "L" lens to own. I began using it on my 35mm where it is a true 17mm and fell in love with it. Use now on a crop body but is still my favorite lens right now. For the price, it is a beautiful lens. Could always have a 2.8 but with at least double the cost.

I definitely would recommend this lens to anyone.

justin

Mar 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jkurtz to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Mar 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $470.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast focusing, great IQ, quiet, FTMF, great color, great build.
Cons:
not 2.8 but then again neither is the price

Ok, I tried not to like this lens. I wanted the 16-35L II, I got this one for a great price, just couldn't pass it up. I may still get the 16-35L II but later, this lens does everything but shoot @ 2.8. It is fast and sharp, my two favorite things in a lens. I've continued to be free of my Canon curse. My last three "L's" have all been SOTB (sharp out the box). Don't ask how many were not, it offends some people. Anyway try it you might like it. Now I can go for the 135L next.

Mar 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
babylonboots

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, excellent IQ, light weight, low cost "L"
Cons:

I sold my 10-22mm when I upgraded to a 5D. It was a pretty even trade cost wise.

The image quality produced by this lens is outstanding. The copy I have is very sharp, even wide open. Color rendition is exceptional.

The lens feels really good on a 5D. I find myself reaching for it more and more.

Mar 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add babylonboots to your Buddy List
James pf Chow

Registered: Jan 19, 2007
Review Date: Mar 7, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: $550.00

Pros: Colour renditions, naturalness, High IQ, UWA (with 5D), affordable L, built quality, right weight, and weather sealed
Cons:
No complaints unless you could afford 16-35mm for f/2.8

Followed up to our earlier review with cropped camera.

Teamed up with 5D full frame, it is astonishingly good, fast AF and real ultra wide at 17mm with full-frame camera. It is very sharp, contrasty, and the colours are wonderful. Juts love it!

A very good lens indeed for the price. It's also good for walk around, and on full frame it really pops and explodes to life. It is also perfect landscape with 5D.

Highly recommended. Go for it!

Mar 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James pf Chow to your Buddy List
markarce

Registered: Mar 5, 2008
Review Date: Mar 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $731.25 | Rating: 10

Pros: it opened my eyes to what i am missing as a lifeless bum. i liked the colors and sharpness my copy produces. built really solid. mated with my 40D, it hits the sweetspot all the time.
Cons:
now i don't like my other lenses anymore. Madness...

first of all, audition all 17-40's you can test in the shop before buying. if there's nothing sharp, move on to the next store because chances are, my copy is sharper.

the 17-40 creates a nasty shadow with the built in flash of the 40D so i have to spend money again buy external flash. my 70-200 f4 does not cast shadows with the built in flash(at least in my experience-hoodless).

L lenses not only costs more, it makes you spend more!

unless you are a professional graphing paper photographer, you'll really appreciate the power of this lens. you'll find out there's nothing to complain about.

Mar 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add markarce to your Buddy List
sendjo

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Feb 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: almost everything... sharpness, color rendition, focusing, build quality, flare resistance...
Cons:
maybe not enough reach on crop bodies

I used this lens on crop body (EOS 400D) and I`m very satisfied with everything. Near perfect landscape lens!

Feb 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sendjo to your Buddy List
gandalfk7

Registered: Feb 22, 2008
Review Date: Feb 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, colors, on 35mm it's REALLY wide, 28-64mm on aps-c format, uber-fast af.
Cons:
strange and ugly lens hood, 77mm front filter thread, addicting to L line..

Feb 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gandalfk7 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM