Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

509 1030810 Nov 19, 2017
ef17-40_4l_1_

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

cp73

Registered: Mar 24, 2005
Review Date: Mar 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $639.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp pictures, focus right on, great pictures right out of the camera with no pp, excellent colors and contrast
Cons:
its big compared to the 18-55 kit lens and when its on it might not fit in your camera case depending on what you have.

I spent months trying to decide which lens to buy to replace the kit-lens. I was primarily debating between the 17-85 IS and the 17-40L. Depending on what day of the week it was I was flopping back and forth. The thing that made me finally decide on the 17-40 was this forum and its ratings. I thought if I buy the 17-85 and I am not satisified with its sharpness I will regret this purchase and be wondering what I was missing. So I decided to go with the 17-40L.

I must agree with most of the owners on this forum its very sharp, quick focus, built like a tank, and great colors and contrast. This is what I was really expecting when I bought my 350D with the Kit lens. I also have the 85mm 1.8 and 50 1.8 and this lens beats them both. Buy this lens and you wont regret it. The L snobs are right.

Mar 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cp73 to your Buddy List
GabrieleNisi

Registered: Mar 29, 2006
Review Date: Mar 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Colori, nitidezza, AF (colors, sharpness, AF)
Cons:
Nessuno (None)

E' stata la mia seconda lente Canon. All'inizio non ho avuto un gran feeling con questo vetro, ma col tempo ho imparato ad apprezzarlo, specie per i suoi colori e per la sua nitidezza da macro (a distanze ravvicinate).
E' veramente un gran bel vetro che restituisce immagini con dei colori pastello incantevoli. Molto itido, ben contrastato, privo di aberrazioni cromatiche e di vignettatura.

Lo uso principalmente sulla mia 20D, ma aspetto di poterlo usare, tra un annetto al massimo, anche su FF.

E' un obiettivo veramente valido che consiglio a tutti incondizionatamente !!!!

Mar 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GabrieleNisi to your Buddy List
Multipasser

Registered: Aug 20, 2005
Review Date: Mar 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap for what you get. Very sharp on f5.6+ till f16.
Cons:
I get some CA on the left side (more that on the right)

I was lucky to get a sigma 12-24mm to test all weekend. At first it looked very sharp and good for the price I had to pay (450euro).

I went back to compare it to a 17-40mm L using a tripod.
The results were amazing. The 17-40mm was so so so much sharper. And less CA than the sigma.

I was considering a 16-35mm L. But for only 1 stop I can now buy a 200mm prime instead. Much more fun.

Mar 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Multipasser to your Buddy List
allanyue

Registered: Jan 29, 2006
Review Date: Mar 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens, sharp as razor, price, vibrant colors, price of course!
Cons:
f4, pics soft at f4,

Overall great lens. Very sharp with great colors. Lightweight and built like a tank, worthy of the "L" designation. Fast and responsive AF.

Images are soft with the aparture wide open but gets very sharp a few steps down. Not that great indoors when you cant use a flash but its F4, it comes with the territory.

Love this lens.

Cheers

Mar 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add allanyue to your Buddy List
juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great image quality, well built, good value
Cons:
many buyers of this lens have a 1.6 crop factor camera, which compels the purchase of another hood, such as the one for the 24L or the 24-105L, to avoid using the insanely wide (but necessary) hood designed for film/full-frame sensors

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
OMFG

Registered: Mar 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, Picture quality, great for city-walkabouts.
Cons:
Lens isn't small and the hood is definately oversized. Focus isn't as fast as other USM lenses I've used.

I'm using this lens with a 20D. The image quality is great, colors are vibrant and even on a crop frame, I find the 17mm wide enough for most purposes although I occasionally find that 40mm isn't long enough.

If you've just got yourself a 20/30/350D, make sure that this is the first lens that you treat yourself to. You won't be disapointed. This is the lens to go with these cameras, no doubt about it. Additionally, you're buying in to the EF L-Series legacy which famously holds its resale value.

A 17-40mm f4 paired with a 70-200mm f4 would be the perfect combination for a seriously competitive low-cost package. Maybe throw in a 50mm 1.8f for some low-light prime work.

One happy customer.

Mar 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add OMFG to your Buddy List
EKN_2005

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Mar 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great color and sharpness, comes with a hood and a carrying case
Cons:
A little on the heavy side, but it's a trade-off for sturdy construction

This was my first L lens. I'd read reviews before my purchase of this lens, but I never would've believed just how great this lens really is. The color and sharpness are amazing. I'd definitely recommend this lens to anyone who were thinking about upgrading from the kit lens.

Mar 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EKN_2005 to your Buddy List
tqli07981

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Mar 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $741.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open. Wide enough on 20D
Cons:

Agree with all the positive reviews. Use it on my 20D. Wish it could be a bit faster, but it is me try not to over spend here, so not the fault of this baby. Just post to contribute to the positive reviews. Highly recommanded.

Mar 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tqli07981 to your Buddy List
SWMorales

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: EVERYTHING! color is amazing, give up your kit lenses! no matter which one it is even the 17-85 is. this thing kicks its a mud hole in its ass and walks it dry.
Cons:
um considering its so damn cheap, not a thing!

like i said, for the price theres nothing that beats it. ive shot many a great photo on this lens and even at f4 if you shoot up your iso it works fine. People complain too much, consider what you are getting an L lens and a nice wide zoom for 600 bucks. quit your complaining. anyone who is considering this, go out and buy it. you wont regret it for a second.

Mar 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SWMorales to your Buddy List
tellingthm

Registered: Jan 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: color, sharpness, build, usm
Cons:
lens hood, f/4, has infected me with L fever

unless i need the speed of a prime, this is my main lens on my 20d. colors are superb, it's sharp wide open, the af fast and accurate EVEN in low-light. as one of the most affordable L's, i find this lens an amazing value. the build quality is so amazing (this was my first L) that it makes my 20d feel sort of cheap Smile
i don't mind the "lack" of range as much as most because most of what i shoot is wide-angle anyways.
of course it's f/4, but considering that the price nearly double to get to f/2.8, it's a more-than-fair tradeoff.
the only thing that i don't like about this lens is the included hood. since canon knows most people currently buying this lens use it on a 1.6 crop, where the hood is basically useless, it'd be nice to have the option to get an alternative hood that is not so large (and thus difficult to put in a bag).

bottom line is that since i purchased this lens a couple of months ago, i am yet to be disappointed.

Mar 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tellingthm to your Buddy List
Tario

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, weight, build quality, USM.
Cons:
f/2.8 at that price would be very nice of Canon ;)

Well now I know why sooooo many people have this lens. It is simply great. Good range-I thought it may be a little short ended but it is not..range is great for PJ style and fun for portariture too. Not as versatiale as my 24-105 but this gem really works well..and it's capability to catch light, color and contrast is unparallel.
Sold the 17-85 EF-S and this baby replaces is it easy.
A great buy.
Cheap price was due to good customer service and satisfaction, moreover, due to good customer appreciation.
Thanks Dove.

Mar 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tario to your Buddy List
wkoffel

Registered: Mar 28, 2004
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $700.00

Pros: Good wide-angle, even useful on 1.6x crop factor sensors. Nice color saturation. Excellent construction.
Cons:
Lens hood is very awkward. Not quite as striking a quality difference as other L-glass in my bag.

This has been a tried-and-true lens in my bag. For those thinking about upgrading from the Canon 18-55 kit lens, I have a non-technical comparison overview on my site.

Mar 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wkoffel to your Buddy List
wood1271

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Mar 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality of both the lens and the pictures are fantastic. The size and weight are perfect for my 350D.
Cons:
The hood is wierd looking.

I purchased this lens to replace the EFS 18-55 kit lens that came on my 350D. I stressed over the price, but was glad I pulled the trigger and bought it. The picture quality is amazing. I conducted my own informal test using the kit lens, this lens and a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. This lens blew them away. The colors and details were amazing. It was well worth the L price and look forward to my next L pruchase the 70-200 4L. I would have love to have been able to afforded 2.8's, but seeing how as this is a hobby and not my profession I am not disappointed in the least.

Mar 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wood1271 to your Buddy List
RED JET

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Feb 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Good portrait lens for 1.6x crop. Pretty sharp and responsive. Good build. OK price is selling point.
Cons:
Soft edges... Not really 'L' sharp. At 8MP or less, look elsewhere for good enlargements.

Good contrast and sharp if you only use the center or have megapixels to spare. Great wide angle range for film. Unsatisfactory sharpness for landscape photography. Edge sharpness suffers particularly (which means you suffer). Objects in the edges cannot be used for perspective.

Feb 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RED JET to your Buddy List
Perdu

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Feb 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, optical quality, price, weather and dust proofing
Cons:
A hood that makes the lens look a monster

I'm giving this lens a 10 despite it's few faults because it's my favorite lens for the past 18 months.

I originally bought a Sigma 17-35 for my Canon 10D. I found it to be soft and after a week the eletronics failed. Purchased another. That was soft and failed in a month or so of use.

I gave in and bought this and was amazed at the quality, color and contrast. It's great on a x1.6 sensor and the image quality blew the sigmas away.

What's not to like:

It's a bit soft at both ends of the zoom especially wide open which is where I find I use this lens a lot. When Rita skimmed Houston last year I needed to bump the ISO to 800 and 1600. Ditto in most Texas stormy skies. I should'nt compain about this cos I knew it was f4 when I bought it. The lens hood is very large but I almost never use it and don't find I need to.

The only thing that would make me part with this lens is winning the loto and getting the 16-35 f2.8, otherwise it's a lens I'll never sell. I'm very pleased.

Feb 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perdu to your Buddy List
Reijer

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Feb 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality is very good! This lens really feels like I bought something that's worth the money.
Cons:
"Only" f/4. But hey, if I wanted f/2.8, I should have saved a lot more money!

I really like this one. Actually the only place I can't use this lens is indoors at night; all other occasions it's perfect. I guess I will not part with this lens any time soon.

Feb 21, 2006