138 138581 Jul 28, 2013
Canon_30D

Exceptional digital SLR with exclusive 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor

User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps – up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time

Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor that can be viewed at extreme angles up to 170

New and improved features: Picture Style for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness, spot metering and shutter durability of approximately 100,000 cycles

Impressive 9-point Wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center

One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information

Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

(more...)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9

jfk03

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Spot metering, buffer, larger LCD, feel & build, responsiveness, image quality
Cons:

I am still in Hog Heaven since I upgraded from 300D about a month ago. Am still learning my way around this camera, but I find it easy to use, responsive, great image quality. I love this camera.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfk03 to your Buddy List
Kimleng

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Spot metering, large buffer, great RAW, very responsive, decent sized when used with the grip. Excellent value for money!
Cons:
Spot metering area is a tad large as others have previously stated. Direct Print button could be used for something better...other than that, can't complain for what I paid for.

This is an excellent camera that I can recommend without reservations. I upgraded from the Digital Rebel, and I can say it's the best thing I've done. It is incredibly responsive! I never have to worry about the camera being ready to shoot.

The spot metering is very nice! Yes, the area is a bit large, but it's better than nothing.

I love the buffer size. I have not been let down when trying to capture fast action with this camera.

It's a tad bit small without the battery grip and looks like another ordinary camera. With the battery grip, it becomes a "pro" looking camera...especially paired with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens.

Auto-focus is lightning fast compared to Digital Rebel. It feels pretty sturdy since it's not plastic like the Rebel. Definitely could take a drop.

The 1.6x crop factor still sucks when I want to go wide, though Sad Oh well, I'll just have to jump to full frame one day.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kimleng to your Buddy List
Daguerre999

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Great pictures. Useful features. Spot metering. Low noise up to 800 ISO. AF accurate even with slower lenses (but see below). Lightweight and sturdy. Good BIF (a surprise!). Good battery life. Perfect size and weight for all-day shooting.
Cons:
Annoying amount of fiddling to change settings. No viefinder display of settings unless shutter depressed. AF Servo "off & on". One Shot-> Af Servo->One shot functions only with Super-telphotos. ISO sensitivity + by about 2/3rds

I love the RESULTS from this camera. Even on 'Program' setting with no adjustments, it takes a great shot. However the range of in-camera adjustments means you can adapt it to virtually any situation or customise for creative effect. Particularly useful are the adjustable Colour Temperature and WB Bracketing. The AWB is good and copes with most conditions, but better results come from tailoring.
Spot metering is a welcome and overdue addition that's perfect for tricky lighting. The built-in flash is surprisingly effective and works very well outdoors especially in poor light. Five fps deals with almost anything and with a BG-E2 grip its the perfect size for me.
I don't, thank God, seem to be experiencing any noise issues. Even with a 3x loupe I can find nothing to whinge about on A3 prints at up to 320 ISO. Up to 800 ISO noise is just noticable but very usable at A4. At 1600-3200 you can still get a good result. Just don't peer to closely.

Alas its not perfect. Canon still hasn't got out of the push-twiddle-push habit for changing settings. On top of that its not always clear what you've changed 'from', 'to'.
In 30 years of picture taking I don't think I've ever accidentally changed a setting,but there have been plenty of times I've needed to do so quickly - this isn't the camera for that. Very possibly the most useful quick change function I can think of is from a One Shot mode to an AI Servo mode. In one of those fits of techno-snobbery, Canon has restricted this to its hyper-expensive 'L' Superteles.
Focus lock / Exposure Lock work fine but are not indicated very well.
The 3 postion on-off switch is just plain silly and the camera sometimes refuses to 'just take the shot' in low light even in Manual mode (this requires switching the lens to manual focus).
The ISO is more sensitive than advertised (IMO). I generally have to compensate by about -1 to 1 1/2 stops to avoid blowing the highlights. The AI Servo is hardly ever accurate even when the moving object is head-on. I may have to have these last two checked out as no-one else seems to be bothered by them.
All-in-all, despite the niggles, its an extremely capable camera that with a bit of practice and familiarization can yield some stunning results. Highly recommended as an upgrade from a 300 or 350. From a 20D? Hmmmmnnnn!?

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Daguerre999 to your Buddy List
FerretSnapper

Registered: Sep 15, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Outstanding IQ and very snappy operation
Cons:
Would like a sturdier battery grip

I purchased the 30D and made my 20D a second camera.

In many ways the 30D is a nice evolution of the 20D. I most appreciate the RGB histogram, ISO adjustment in the viewfinder, and 1/3rd stop iso even if it is faked as some claim.

The 30D is very fast in operation. The AF is slightly improved, but since there is the 1series comparison to be made one can always claim it's lacking. That said, AF is usually quite adequate.

I personally use the custom picture style and set the contrast to the lowest setting and turn up the sharpness, but I use RAW. This allows accurate verification of clipping in channels and more accurate focus analysis on the LCD as the histogram and preview are based on a jpeg.

With the Canon 10-22 ef-s, 24-70, 70-200IS,and 50 f/1.4 I find the IQ to be outstanding, but as with all SLRs you have to know what you're doing. When "exposed to the right" without clipping the RAW file the results are frankly mind blowing and super-clean.

The low light performance is quite good as well. The low noise and very high IQ at ISO 1250 plus is quite stunning. Even the AF works well, atleast with my larger aperture lenses.

All around, this is a very good camera body and unmatched in it's price range. Combined with good glass the results are very satisfying and often superb.

May 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FerretSnapper to your Buddy List
ekhoo1

Registered: May 11, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,270.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Spot metering, 2.5 inch screen, fast bootup time, larger buffer, colours (because of Picture Styles), low noise at higer ISOs.
Cons:
Direct print button????

Upgraded from a 10D and the immediate differences I felt were the quicker boot up time and the more vivid colours of the pictures I initially took.

As I used it more, the other improvements I noticed were the 'huge' LCD screen and the better accuracy of spot metering compared to the evaluative metering I had to use with the 10D.

I haven't had the chance to fully test out the ETTL II capabilities yet.

Oevrall I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. I would say the 30D doesn't make the pictures I take better but the features built in makes it easier to take better pictures. Recommended!

May 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ekhoo1 to your Buddy List
jlwrbowsx

Registered: Mar 26, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,319.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Large buffer and 5 fps, large 2.5" screen. Nice size Raw files. Takes beautiful pictures. Large iso range. Seems very sturdy.
Cons:
Tad bit small in my hands.

Comming from a Digital Rebel this camera is a huge step up for me. Incredible speed and versitility. One thing I noticed immidiately working with DPP is that the RAW images are easier to work with on my computer.(CR2 versus CRW) They are smaller in size too. The 2.5" screen is just incredible, although outside in direct sunlight there still is some problems with washout. The instant on is really nice. Can't tell you how often I waited with baited breath for my Rebel to kick on. One flip of the on switch and your ready to shoot. It is very sturdy feeling in your hand. The only gripe I might have is the size. Wish it was a bit taller to fit in my hand better. I'll be getting the portrait grip soon. All in all I am very happy so far and look forward to putting in many hours of shots with this body.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlwrbowsx to your Buddy List
Jim Cowsert

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Spot meter, 2.5" LCD, Picture Styles, 1/3 ISO settings, ISO in viewfinder, 100,000 shutter life.
Cons:
Still not weather sealed.

Love it so far...focus seems to be more accurate than my 20D which was awesome. I shoot alot of baseball and all of a sudden my keeper rate has increased. Some say that that the focus is the same in AI Servo as the 20D, but I feel it's better.

May 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jim Cowsert to your Buddy List
Blakemore

Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, quiet shutter (compared to the 20D), Huge screen, 1/3 stop ISO, Spot meter, 5fps (or 3fps), EFS mount, Low noise at high ISO, AFFORDABLE!
Cons:
None really. Not at this price or what this camera is intended for.

I purchased a 20D when they hit shelves in 2004. It was an excellent camera but I always felt it was lacking just a little. I was very excited when the 30D came out just because of the 1/3 stop ISO but felt that this wasn't a "real" upgrade to the 20D. I sold my Rebel XT and purchased the 30D anyway just to see. I can tell you, this isn't just an upgraded 20D. It really is a whole new camera. They only things the 30D and 20D share is the same sensor and processor, everything else is fresh and refreshing!

The screen is amazing. Not only is it huge, but has a much better viewing angle. the 1/3 stop ISO is great, opens up many more creative options when shooting in low light. The shutter is much quieter. I don't shoot JPG too often, but picture styles are nice to have when I go that route. 1000 images in a folder isn't near as annoying as only 100. Spot metering is GREAT! One simple change I really like is the rotate option. It will not rotate them on the camera's LCD, but will save the file as a vertical shot so it's correct when opened on a computer. Overall, I love this camera. Great value, great purchase.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Blakemore to your Buddy List
doudou

Registered: Oct 8, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good price/camera performance, 2.5" LCD a plus, light weight
Cons:
as i used to 1D MK II feature, found this one with a subtle shutter sound, slow focusing speed in low light, useless print button, spot metering area seems too large

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add doudou to your Buddy List
mottainai

Registered: Feb 12, 2006
Review Date: May 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Large screen. Shutter not so loud as that of 20D.
Cons:
Non so far.

Larger screen and more agreeable shutter noise were main motivations to bypass 20D. My wife and me are quite happy with this camera. Not cheap but not regrets. (Indicated price is in Euro.)

May 8, 2006