138 138572 Jul 28, 2013
Canon_30D

Exceptional digital SLR with exclusive 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor

User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps – up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time

Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor that can be viewed at extreme angles up to 170

New and improved features: Picture Style for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness, spot metering and shutter durability of approximately 100,000 cycles

Impressive 9-point Wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center

One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information

Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

(more...)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

mjb30

Registered: Apr 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.5" screen, far more useable than 1.8". Just about everything to be honest!
Cons:
Direct print button, grip seems like an afterthought, viewfinder not 100% (has a pop-up flash...) and no iso 50 perhaps?

It really does do everything I expected; and more.

It's my first move to digital and I'm very pleased I made the move. It was a big jump for me to take as I was using a couple of eos 5's with some decent len's. The 20D is a delight to use and apart from some minor things I couldn't ask for a better camera in the price range.

Jul 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mjb30 to your Buddy List
swat_pup007

Registered: May 31, 2004
Review Date: Jul 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 2.5" LCD screen, spot metering, ISO in 1/3 increments.
Cons:

I have owned the 20D, and upgraded to this model. I am at 40,000 actuations, and really can't complain about much. Canon made some noteworthy improvements over the 20D, and I have used them all.

It's not a 1D, but for the price, you get a top notch camera...Definately worth the buy.

Jul 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add swat_pup007 to your Buddy List
MLFLY

Registered: Jul 22, 2002
Review Date: Jun 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF speed & accuracy, buffer size & write speed, 99 images per folder (wish it were more), screen size.
Cons:
Mirror lock up should be direct button, not CF and it's possible to fire shutter without compact flash card (a more serious warning would be acceptable). Pop up flash - I wish it were gone and the space used for a 100% viewfinder.

I upgraded from a D60 so I benefitted from improvements that were gradually made on the 10D and 20D. This blows the D60 away in terms of overall speed and AF accuracy. Image quality is close to the same - both are excellent. Having tired of bird portraits, I decided to begin concentrating on action. This camera with the 100-400 IS zoom on a monopod is great for that task. Handling is similar to any Canon I've ever used. There are only two serious flaws - mirror lock up should be direct and the viewfinder should be 100%. I wouldn't not buy it because of those but I think they are fixable.

Jun 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MLFLY to your Buddy List
junglehs

Registered: Mar 13, 2006
Review Date: Jun 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,380.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: big LCD, ergonomic form, feels solid
Cons:
flash, a hair too big

nice camera body

Jun 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add junglehs to your Buddy List
Janika

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Jun 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Strong, Light, Fast, Easy use, Affordable, Quiet, Did I mention it's fast?!
Cons:
Sensor collects dust faster than any other camera I had.

This camera is like night and day compared to my 350D! So much faster and easier to hold, especially with big lenses, The battery was still showing full after taking over 700 frames, using the 100-400 iS L lens with the iS on. Will it ever drain?
Considering the 20D was selling for over $2,000- when it came out in 2004, this is an affordable DSLR for Semi-pros and photo enthusiasts. The large LCD is great, Spot metering is a blessing and I love how I don't have to jump from ISO-400 straight to 800, but there are settings in between.
The 30D has a magnesium-alloy frame which makes this camera very strong and light.
My only complaint is; The sensor already has half a dozen dust bunnies on it in less than a month and I don't change lenses often. Overall, I highly recommend this camera to everyone.

Jun 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Janika to your Buddy List
Yanber

Registered: Sep 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything about it !
Cons:
if I had to say something ... mmmh maybe only 8.2 MP ?

I buy this one after a 10D, and I dont regret anything. It's a revolution for all the technical specifications, but I didn't need any minute to have it in hand properly. I'm really glad of this choice. I hesitated with the famous 5D, but the file size of the 5D's pics is too big for my poor computer. And the difference of price is a good argument to choose the 30D.
You won't be disappointed with this one !

Jun 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Yanber to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,319.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, sure, steady
Cons:
dim lcd

I have the 20d and bought a 30d. My 20d is my back up now. The 30d is not only quieter but also faster on reading and writing to the card. The focus is faster also much steadier in AI. I also like the spot metering. The Bigger lcd is a big plus. This was a good addition. It depends on what you need if you should take the bait. I needed a second body for the wedding season this one works at least until September.......
Everybody that complains about wanting more in this camera SPEND the money on a Mark II of your choice, just stop ragging on this camera, it does what it's suppose to do at this price point (it allows you to takes great picture),

Jun 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
Wongo

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, 5 fps, build, size, focusing, battery life, useability.
Cons:
Apart from dust on sensor and in viewfinder from new - NONE

Looks like I'm another member of the 350D upgrade club !

I cannot believe the difference it has made to my photography by doing this upgrade. It didn't cost me too much to do it either as I got an amazing sale price on Ebay for the 350D. Like others I hated the 350D grip size so the 30D feels perfect in my hand. Viewfinder being bigger and 9 point AF is much better for accurate focusing, so now nearly all my shots are keepers instead of around 60%. I have a 24-105 F4 IS L lens as my walkaround which didn't perform as good as I'd hoped on the 350D, but my god it's outstanding on the 30D. Strangely my bigma 50-500 seems marginaly worse but still very good. Had to do a lot of post processing on the 350D and now hardly any at all which is a major bonus.

Only gripe was the dust specs from new

Jun 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wongo to your Buddy List
nsbca

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Size, battery life, large LCD, price, ergonomics.
Cons:
Had to upgrade to CS 2 from CS to use this camera properly. RAW software was written poorly and is far from smooth or fast compared to Photoshop. Low light features, sharpness and color trueness seem acceptable in comparison to the 20D and are superior to the D200, but lack are found wanting terribly when compared to the 8Mp 1D Mark II or the 1D Mark IIn. You get what you pay for.

Good overall camera. Canon can do better and has, just not for the price. A camera the size of the 30D with the large LCD, but with the low light capabilities and the sharpness of the 1D Mark II would suit me better.

Jun 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nsbca to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The 30D, like the 20D before it, is a superb dSLR bargain. If you're mulling over this purchase, don't. Just buy it.
Cons:
When the presence a print button is all you have to moan about, you know you've got a fine Camera.

As above, 10's all 'round.

Jun 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vole to your Buddy List
gberger

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Controls very easy to use, spot metering, fast burst rate, able to set white balance without going into menus, in-camera flash compensation, AI servo in all modes.
Cons:
Display impossible to see in bright light.

I upgraded to the 30D from the original Digital Rebel. The 30D makes the Rebel seem like a toy. Spot metering, MUCH faster burst rate (like a machine gun), flash compensation, AI Servo in all creative modes, switchable autofocus modes, bigger and better display are the main advantages. Not to mention better picture quality! I used to shoot with the F1N back in my film days, now I feel like I am back to that level of functionality without breaking the bank. I'm a big fan of spot metering, and sorely missed it in the Rebel. I don't know if it's worth upgrading from the 20D (the salesman told me he had half a dozen 20Ds traded for 30Ds as soon as the 30 came out) but for Rebel owners who are considering it, let me tell you it's a no-brainer! I agonized over this for while, but now I know it was worth every penny. Great camera and not very expensive when you consider what you're getting.

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gberger to your Buddy List
Arkturas

Registered: Mar 26, 2006

Pros: Fast and Responsive, 2.5inch Screen, a robust Chassis.
Cons:
Mode Dial action, Not as nice as the 350D only 8.2 Mp : (

I upgraded from the 350D, and what a difference - the 30D feels more robust in your hands. I'm pretty large handed and found it difficult squeeze my fingers into the 350D's grip area.

The 30D gives you allot more room.

All in all this is a great upgrade from the 350D, I havent had a chance to fiddle with the picture styles, so that on my list to do.
I'm having great results with the canon 100mm macro lens.The
pictures are just amazing.

If you want to upgrade from the 350D this is the camera.....
Unless you want to make the switch to Nikon and purchase the D200 but thats a whole new ball game....

The 30D is a great camera. (Full Stop)

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Arkturas to your Buddy List
Emile Gregoire

Registered: Sep 9, 2004
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: big LCD, dials work conveniently, fast and accurate AF, image quality, weight, build
Cons:
LCD useless in very bright conditions, prone to dust

Big upgrade when coming from a 350D, which I did. Worth it? Every penny, just make sure you sell your 350D for a decent price. The way you control this baby with the dials is so much more smoother than the 350/300D (had both). Nice build quality, just a bit heavier (which I like) and just a tad bigger so it fits your hands better. Image quality is great and Canon's noise control lets Nikonians eat dust every day.

Bad things? Sure: see above: the LCD is next to useless in very bright conditions (bright sunlight) though you can still see the RGB-histograms well enough to be able to shoot by them alone. And there's the perennial dust problem, but that is a general dSLR complaint and not specifically 30D.

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Emile Gregoire to your Buddy List
beezlebub

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Upgrade from excellent 350D and very pleased with the 30D, a little less forgiving than the 350D as I'm still on a big learning curve but what a great camera.
Cons:
2 niggles first camera exchanged as it intermittently refused to focus when all focus points were active new camera is fine. 2nd i cannot get a 70-300 IS lens

Upgrade from excellent 350D and very pleased with the 30D, a little less forgiving than the 350D as I'm still on a big learning curve but what a great camera, taken some excellent portraits shots, brilliant menu system and so comfortable to use. battery life excellent, large screen and the big wheel a marked improvement over the 350D. I really like the 17-85 IS kit lens I bought with it. Its wide enough and on the whole the most versatile lens I've ever used. plus freebie sandisk extreme 2 gig all in all a great upgrade at a great price. Ebay allowed me to sell 350D stuff at really good price so i'm well chuffed.

2 niggles first camera exchanged as it intermittently refused to focus when all focus points were active, new camera is fine. 2nd i cannot get a 70-300 IS lens from canon as there are huge waiting list and they are unable to keep up with production and are having manufacturing problems, so have bought a cheap sigma as a stop gap for the summer until they get it sorted. Actually the sigma 70-300 APO is okay but not as good as the canon or so i'm led to believe, certainly IS would be very welcome.

Jun 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add beezlebub to your Buddy List
Nickerjo

Registered: May 28, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: As a digi-Am I thinkit is fantastic
Cons:
Non-yet

I started into digi with a 1.5 mp - at the time it was >$500. I was able to connect it to my Meade scope for some great (at that res) photos.

I moved up to a Minolta 7Hi (that was before they merged with Konica and then went out of the business) but the 5 MPX with all of the features was a great step up at the time.

Then I picked up a 30D with the kit lens. I was dissapointed since the PICS were not that great. After some research I discovered where that lens (F8&f14 between 22&35mm) does best and got some really good shots.

Someone recommended and I researched the 50mm 1.8 II.
Best $79.00 I ever spent.

The I ordered a Canon 70-200mm F4 - I could have gone for the 2.8 version or the2.8 IS. but the weight was my major selling/buy point.

After one 30 min walk/photo around my property I am sold.
The 30 D with a 70-200mm f4 takes photos that are so good that my wife - who is very suspicious of my "toy" expenditures, actually agreed that she saw the "difference" in quality once I Started using the new lens.

Final Opinion: Fantastic camera - Pair it with great lenses and it gets even better

Jun 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nickerjo to your Buddy List
henrycn

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.5" LCD, solid build, spot metering, PictureStyle, fast wake up
Cons:
wish it had a full-frame sensor

this is my current workhorse. i'm gonna stick w/ it until i have the $$ to buy a 5D

Jun 2, 2006