Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

166 397035 Sep 15, 2013
8.4
111_small

Lens Construction: 14 Elements in 10 Groups
Angle of View: 102.4 - 63.8 degrees (Sigma SD format)
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 6 Blades
Minimum Aperture: F22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 24cm / 9.4 in.
Maximum Magnification: 1:6.7
Filter Size Diameter: 77mm
Lens Hood: Petal Hood
Dimensions: Diameter 83.5mm X Length 81mm
3.3 in. X 3.2 in.
Weight 470g/16.6 oz.

-----

- It covers a superwide angle of view 102.4 to 63.8(SD format)

- Three pieces of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements and three aspherical lens elements produce top quality optical performance.

- Inner focusing system ensures the length of the lens remains unchanged whilst controlling aberrations.

- Equipped with HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system

- Minimum focusing distance of 24cm (9.4) at all focal lengths.

- Relatively compact, lightweight for an ultra wide-angle zoom lens.

William Austin

Registered: Sep 30, 2006
Review Date: Aug 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: second copy was sharp
Cons:
QC is so very bad at Sigma, bad lens cap, unable to turn polarizing filter when hood is fitted

I gave this lens an overall rating of 7, it would have had a 10 had my first copy not been soft round the left side at all zoom ranges and f-stops.

I returned my first copy and the replacement seemed to be fine however i later found that when the lens hood it fitted it doesn't leave enough room to rotate a polarizing filter.

I returned this lens and bought the Canon 10-22mm

I also have the Sigma 15-30mm which I use on my 5D, I had to swap this lens out 3 times before I got a sharp copy, however the copy I now have is so sharp, it's much sharper than the Canon 16-35L and the 17-40L that I used to have.
before I got the 15-30 I tried the Sigma 12-24mm, again I tried 3 copies, the first was soft the second had it's ap blades lock after 3 shots and the 3rd was soft on the right side, I gave up and got the 15-30mm.

QC at Sigma is so bad

Aug 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add William Austin to your Buddy List
Artur Nogueira

Registered: Aug 1, 2007
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Aug 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image and build quality. A real bargain.
Cons:
none so far

I am a Nikkor lens user for 35 years and it took me almost 6 months to decide wether to buy this Sigma, the Tokina 12-24 or the Nikon 12-24. I was decided for the Sigma mainly for the 3mm difference in the shortest focal length compared with the other two - and 3mm at the shortest focal length is something to take in consideration, at least for myself. The Nikon was very early discarded from the competition as its price is way out of my boundaries, and the Tokina because its sensitiveness to flare. So, first things first.

1 - The build quality of the Sigma is really good. Sturdy, not excessively heavy nor light, it gives a very good balance with the D200. Focus is silent and precise, zoom ring very well damped, its a pleasure to work with it. With a protective filter in front . in my case an UV - the lens cap, although a bit flimsy, is easily handled in and out with the lens hood in its place. really. From my side, I have no problems although it could be a better lens cap. I have compared the "outer" construction with the Nikkor and I really prefer the Sigma.

2 - Image quality " in the field " is really and surprisingly very good to excellent at any aperture -being that at f/8 is really outstanding - or focal length, across all the frame. This is what gave me the biggest surprise. This lens is really sharp. The distortions are well controled - it has the normal distortions for a 10-20 mm focal lens - being that at 20 mm I can notice a slight pincushion distortion. Neverteless, everything is well corrected with PTLens. So no problem. For "normal" shooting, camera balance it is a must but we can dare to be more radical and get excellent "radical" compos. Colour rendition is very good - although my work is 98% black and white. Flare control is amazing. I can shoot with the sun in front of me without getting any flare at all. I am impressed.

I was a little affraid on what concerns the problems some users got with their first sample having some image issues due to some bad centering of the lens elements. It seems I got a very good sample of this baby and it seems that those problems are solved for good nowadays.

For the time being, its the Sigma that is attached most of the time to my D200. It's an hell of an excellent performer.

I am really pleased with my buying and I do not regret it at all. I only can recommend it with the highest rating

Aug 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Artur Nogueira to your Buddy List
hexentanz

Registered: Apr 10, 2005
Review Date: Jul 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice ultra wide lens! Super build, doesn't feel dinky like the 10-22mm from Canon. Oh have i mentioned yet it comes with a very nice padded case? Much better then the cheap crap Canon includes with most of their lenses.
Cons:
I live abroad so I had to pay a bit more then i would if i were in the USA, but considering I will be living here for good the extra price seemed fair when you take in to fact the warranty differences.

Excellent lens, does well in low light. I like the nice distorted effect when close up on subjects.

I was blown away when I saw the nice quality case Sigma had included for FREE!! This lens was already sweeter then the Canon costs wise but then they blew me away with the case. :P

Jul 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hexentanz to your Buddy List
ptys

Registered: Jul 6, 2007
Review Date: Jul 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $470.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: WIDE, sharp, competitively priced, included super cool lens pouch and hood
Cons:
silly lens cap, 77mm filter, flare

This lens is reeeeally wide and so much fun! Ive had it for a week now and it still makes me dizzy every time at 10mm Smile

This is my first Sigma and the first super wide angle lens Ive ever tried. The first copy of this lens I received had soft left side at any aperture between about 15-20mm and also suffered from crazy focus, and I was quite disappointed.

I am glad I decided to try another copy before giving up, because the second one is of that quality that gets this lens such great reviews. It has very fast and accurate focus (makes funny silent grunting noises like a little piglet), and is quite sharp across the frame by f8 at all focal lengths. Wide open a little soft around the edges but sill very good. I would recommend it to anyone, with the caveat that they might have to send it back once or twice to get a good one.

I cant say Im a fan of the Sigma finish I have a feeling that the paint is going to chip off at any moment. But hey, it takes great pictures and thats what counts!

The flare can get to it in harsh conditions, but no one will ever notice at 10mm theyll be so dizzy Smile Oh and the lens cap is really annoying. I cant get it off with the hood on. I have to figure out where to get that pinchy Tamron-like replacement now.

Jul 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ptys to your Buddy List
Brikwall

Registered: Jul 2, 2006
Review Date: Jul 21, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $699.00

Pros: Build quality, HSM
Cons:
Distortion

This is an update to my previous review. Some comments may be repeated.

I borrowed this lens twice for informal field testing and read and re-read countless published and online reviews before finally purchasing it ($699.00 price is in Canadian dollars).

I like the build quality - sturdy, solid and the zoom and focus controls are smooth and well-damped. HSM is fast and responsive. The inclusion of a case and lens hood are an added bonus.

In bright sunlight this lens gives deep, saturated colours, especially blues and yellows. Perhaps it underexposes by default but the results are quite pleasing. I can get "Mediterranean skies" even without the use of a CPL.

The extreme wide angle makes for sweeping vistas. It also allows one to get extremely close to a subject yet still include the entire subject in the frame. This is handy when you either don't have the room to back up or, as in crowded spots, where backing up will cause people to come between you and the subject.

Negatives continue to be the front lens cap design (difficult to add/remove with hood installed) and the variable aperture. A constant f/4 would have been nice: however, as a landscape lens, I don't foresee using it much below f/8 or f/11 (my EF 16-35mm f/2.8 will cover low-light duties). Besides, I knew it was a variable-aperture lens when I bought it, so there is little sense griping about that point!

Distortion can be a little tricky. Over 15mm, it is negligible but from 10-15mm great care must be taken. The distortion is not easily corrected by software. Holding the lens level, in most cases, causes the horizon to split the frame across the middle - counterintuitive for most of us who, by instinct, want to emphasize either ground or sky or follow the rule-of-thirds. It takes a little getting used to. But the distortion can also be fun to play with, whether for getting "extreme angles" on a subject or simply to add some playful elements to portraits.

I finally bought this lens because I wanted a UWA but my desired Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 was out of my price range. Also, I knew I needed something a little wider than 16mm for my Rebel XT's 1.6x crop factor. As fate would have it, I picked up a 16-35mm Mark I, brand new, on clearance special for almost half-price just a week after buying the Sigma. Had I bought the Canon first I wouldn't have bothered with the Sigma 10-20. Although my bank account will suffer for a little while, I'm glad I ended up with both. Because of my shooting style and preferences, I fully expect the 16-35mm to get more use than the 10-20. However, the 10-20 will fill a niche: I've already had a couple of instances where it was the only lens in my kit that could pull off a shot, and I'm sure I'll have a few more of those down the road.

All-in-all, this is a nice little lens. It does have its faults but if you can live with them, or work around them, you'll enjoy using it. Because it's both slow and variable aperture I wouldn't recommend it as a general purpose lens. However, as a UWA landscape lens, or simply as a fun lens where distortional effects can be used for effect, it nicely fills a niche.

Jul 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brikwall to your Buddy List
joeanty

Registered: May 17, 2006
Review Date: Jul 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast and accurate AF 10 mm!!! Build quality
Cons:
Soft at extreme border 77mm filter (but is normal for a 10/20 mm zoom, I think!)

I like this lens very much, but it has got a big problm on extreme edge: it's too soft (also at f/8)!
For the rest, is a very good lens: handling and feeling, build quality and center performance are great. Also CA is OK, except at wide open.

Jul 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add joeanty to your Buddy List
AxelWolf

Registered: Jun 24, 2007
Review Date: Jun 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, Image Quality above 4.0
Cons:
Softness at 10mm wide open

Very nice lens, happy with my purchase. There is some noticable softness in the corners at 10mm wide open. Not noticable vignetting. No problems with AF. On my 400D images are constantly underexposed about a half stop.

Sample images with 100% crops at:

Jun 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AxelWolf to your Buddy List
Simon K

Registered: May 13, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Review Date: May 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Pretty sharp, contrast, colors.. and very wide!
Cons:
A bit of vignetting wide open; nothing more I can think of

I'm sure I got a good copy and it's impressively sharp even wide open. Distortion is as expected, but I love it Smile Colors are great, CA is negligible.

When shooting at 10mm f/4 there's a bit of vignetting, though can be easy fixed in PS

May 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Simon K to your Buddy List
yido

Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, HSM, optics, relative lack of distortion at 10mm, focal length range.

May 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add yido to your Buddy List
Bitty

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: May 1, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $289.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Nice EX finish, lens bag and hood. Small and HSM. Works on any EF mount.
Cons:
Won't AF consistently.

I have 15-30 but wanted something smaller and wider. This 10-20 fitted the bill and pocket. Sadly, it's AF is way off on my 20D and D60. It will focus then it won't. Nearby is more certain than farther off. My 15-30 is much better. I'll stick with that rather than play lens tennis.

May 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bitty to your Buddy List
JMK-FI

Registered: Jan 17, 2005
Review Date: Apr 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good contrast and saturation, very good autofocus.
Cons:
Nada, nothing so far.

I have to give this baby a very high rating, cause IMO it beats the canon 10-22 easily...
I used the canon lens for a couple of years and shot hundreds of apartments indoor with it.
Now I bought the Sigma version cause I'm gonna change my 20D for the 1Dmk3 later this year.

After my first indoor shoting with the Sigma I was really supriced of the good contrast an quality of the lens.
I could easily see that tha Sigma is better.

I use F.11 usually and the exposure time is always long.

It is imortant to have tha camera vertically and horizontally straight when shooting structures and indoor apartment photos, cause tha disortion is very visible if the camera is not straight, in the canon lens it was less visible.
But if the sigma is correctly used it is a winner.
I am using PT-lens plugin to correct the disortion.

I have no problem with the lens cap, and I can easily remove it with the hood on.

Apr 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JMK-FI to your Buddy List
Jonasmr

Registered: Jan 15, 2007
Review Date: Apr 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This is the lens that I use most, and what can I say? I love it. If you need anything really wide, and dont got enough money to buy canon's 10-22mm, then you should definitive go for this lens. I guess I am lucky with my version, because I cant fin anything negative about it.

Apr 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jonasmr to your Buddy List
retrofocus

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Review Date: Apr 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $467.24 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very nice and well built super-wide/wide angle lens. Delivers sharp photos throughout the photo section. Fair price for the quality.
Cons:
Front cap was pretty loose sitting on the lens. Luckily I had an older Sigma lens with the same outer lens diameter which had a cap perfectly fitting onto the new lens and vice versa.

It is my favorite lens for landscape and sometimes indoor photography. With the Rebel XT D-SLR camera it leads to a focal length between 16 and 32mm. At 16mm, the picture section is huge! At the borders straight lines of objects will be bent a bit, unavoidable at the super-wide focal lengths of this type of lenses. I recommend using the freeware program "ShiftN" to get rid of bent lines when revising the photos on the PC.
The autofocus is working fine, too. Normally I use a medium to higher f-number with this lens. But even at smaller f-numbers the photo was sharp in the center and the borders.

Some people reported decentered copies of this lens. To test your copy, I recommend mounting the camera onto a tripod in front of a brick wall. The borders of the picture should be as sharp as the center at different apertures and focal lengths.

Apr 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add retrofocus to your Buddy List
Hitendra

Registered: Feb 15, 2007
Location: India
Review Date: Apr 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $539.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb image quality at bargain price.
Cons:
77 filter size.
Apr 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hitendra to your Buddy List
tjloeb

Registered: Jun 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build quality. Fast and quite focusing. Great image quality. It has rapidly become my "always on" lens.
Cons:
Lens cap

I was looking for an additional wide angle lens to supplement my EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM. The extra 7mm makes a major difference at the wide end.

I have a Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM whose build and image quality were as good or better than any of the Canon equivalents.

So adding another Sigma EX lens was an easy choice.

I have found the 10-20 to meet my needs perfectly. The images are sharp for a lens of this focal length. Focus is fast and accurate. The build quality is top notch.

You do need to be careful to keep the lens level to avoid distortion unless that is your artistic goal.

I share the common complaint about the lens cap. It is odd that a company like Sigma can build such a suburb product with such a poorly designed lens cap. A minor gripe given how easy it is to fix.

Apr 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tjloeb to your Buddy List
Simon Hickie

Registered: Mar 2, 2007
Review Date: Mar 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Outstanding central sharpness, even wide open! Contrast very good. Focusing very quiet and accurate. Zoom action smooth. Seems to render an image with much more depth than my Nikkor 18-70mm so things can seem more 3D-like. Resists flare well.
Cons:
Not quite so sharp into the edges, but still better than my 18-70. Some vignetting wide-open, but fairly easily fixable. Lens cap & lens hood do not work well together - need to replace it with one of those new Nikon style centre pinch ones. Some horizon line distortions at the edges.

I was a little sceptical about buying one of these after a bad experience with a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX some years ago. However, I seem to have a good one. It's not perfect - note some of the negative comments above. However, taking the lens as a package, it delivers outstanding value for money. It also has a three year guarantee, unlike Nikon who only offer one year here in the UK.

As with all ultra wides, they have to be used appropriately. By pointing the camera up or down from horizontal you will get converging or diverging verticals. This is normal and not a lens fault. Also, parts of the image at the edges will also appear more 'spread out'. Again this is a normal optical effect with wide-angle lenses and not a feature of this particular lens.

At a hundred pounds less than the Tokina 12-24mm, four hundred pounds less than the 12-24mm Nikkor and an extra couple of mm at the wide end, it seems like an excellent deal. Time will tell though if it the build is up to the mark, but I tend to treat my gear carefully.

Mar 23, 2007