Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

166 397186 Sep 15, 2013
8.4
111_small

Lens Construction: 14 Elements in 10 Groups
Angle of View: 102.4 - 63.8 degrees (Sigma SD format)
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 6 Blades
Minimum Aperture: F22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 24cm / 9.4 in.
Maximum Magnification: 1:6.7
Filter Size Diameter: 77mm
Lens Hood: Petal Hood
Dimensions: Diameter 83.5mm X Length 81mm
3.3 in. X 3.2 in.
Weight 470g/16.6 oz.

-----

- It covers a superwide angle of view 102.4 to 63.8(SD format)

- Three pieces of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements and three aspherical lens elements produce top quality optical performance.

- Inner focusing system ensures the length of the lens remains unchanged whilst controlling aberrations.

- Equipped with HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system

- Minimum focusing distance of 24cm (9.4) at all focal lengths.

- Relatively compact, lightweight for an ultra wide-angle zoom lens.

chempilot

Registered: May 14, 2009
Review Date: May 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ultra-wide, light, sharp, fast AF
Cons:
sun-flares, expensive 77mm filters

i bought this lens used a year ago for my Nikon D70s and haven't been disappointed. the wide field of view really lends a lot of opportunities for creativity. it works well with landscapes or car shows. consistently sharp between f/8 to f/11. opened up it's sharp in ~90% of the frame.

i recently bought a Nikon D700 and was upset that i may have to sell it. just for grins, i tried it on the FF and for me it actually works really well. with the D700's in camera cropping option turned off, there is heavy vignetting, especially at 10mm, but i can always crop it out and eke out a slightly larger pic than with it on. of course, the pros and pixel-peepers will moan, but i'm not a pro. or a pixel peeper. :O)

some from the D70s:

some from the D700:

May 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chempilot to your Buddy List
sankeycottage

Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Review Date: May 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great range for DX mode - tack sharp at nearly all apertures - solid feel - very portable - good price.
Cons:
Lens shade is flimsy - no manual focus switch on lens.

This is the only Sigma lens I now own. It is comparable to my Nikkors and has a superb range on DX mode. It is very sharp and has excellent contrast and colour rendition. Not very fast at f/4 - 10mm to f/5.6 - 20mm. But as I have a Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 and Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 it is used almost exclusively on my D9o and is perfect for this camera. Highly recommended!

May 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sankeycottage to your Buddy List
JWPerkins

Registered: Mar 16, 2009
Review Date: Apr 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super wide. Built like a tank. Excellent lens case.
Cons:

I have this lens and love it. My girlfriend calls it the "lens that sees everything." I love taking landscape pics and esoteric group pics with this lens just for the artistic value.

This lens makes me think about composition and angle of view.

I use it all focal lengths and am happy with most pictures. The disappointments usually come from my lack of experience and not the capability of the lens.

I highly recommend this lens.

Apr 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JWPerkins to your Buddy List
headac3e

Registered: Jan 3, 2009
Review Date: Feb 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: W I D E, fairly sharp, light, cheap!
Cons:
suffers from flare due to little to no lens coating, price drop a week after i bought it

it is sharp, pretty darn sharp for the money. it is mounted on my camera body most of the time as i love the wide angles in photos. the lens finish is ok, no problems yet but can foresee it peel off if not handled carefully. comes with a hood but does not block all the flares. the lens isn't very coated well against flare which is some what disappointing.

price dropped little over a week, almost wanted to return/rebuy but i did not want to give up my copy :]. being an amateur photographer on a very tight budget, i took the hit on the price drop of almost $100(!) which was about 20% at the time. it is that good.

Feb 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add headac3e to your Buddy List
light and dark

Registered: Nov 18, 2007
Review Date: Feb 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, range, weight, price
Cons:
slight vignetting wide open @10mm, finish

Great ultrawide lense for crop-sensors. I found resolution and colors better than those from the Nikon 12-24. I can't find soft corners even wide open, landscapes @ f/8 or f/11 appear to be tridimensional. The range is perfect for my D300. The lense is small and lightweight and always fits into my bag.

If you shoot a whits wall wide open at 10mm you may notice some slight vignetting, however, no big issue for me in real world situations.

Sigma's finish is not my cup of tea, but that's something subjective and doesn't have to do anything with the images this fantastic piece if equipment produces!

Feb 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add light and dark to your Buddy List
mansour

Registered: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Iran
Review Date: Feb 14, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $525.00

Pros: Sharp side to side.HSM.CA good controlled. I didn't see flare even at strait sun light not more then my other lenses. hood and case. build Qty. fast AF. distortion is well controlled even at sides.
Cons:
Not

I have had this lens for tow weekes and tested it indoor with test chart and outdoor lanscape. without hood I didnt notice flare as others said. It's a fantastic lens and I love it.

Feb 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mansour to your Buddy List
mansour

Registered: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Iran
Review Date: Feb 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $525.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness center and sides. build Qty.HSM.Hood and case.I didn't see flare even is strait sun light not more than my other lenses.
Cons:
Not

Feb 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mansour to your Buddy List
MTBtrials

Registered: Feb 4, 2008
Review Date: Feb 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 10mm on the wide end, lightweight, HSM, the rectilinear doesn't screw with lines if you're looking straight at something (versus fisheyes), Great build quality, comes with case and pouch, great value, plus plenty of other things I can't even think of....
Cons:
Hard to think of any.... if anything I wish that the near focus distance was 6" versus 12" to be able to mess with perspective even more.... that and I would GLADLY PAY twice the price for a f/2.8 version. It's only good on a cropped sensor camera....

First off, I have owned this lens since August, 2008, it's now February 1st 2009. I have had NO PROBLEMS with my 10-20, and I use it daily. I can't imagine anyone complaining about this lens. I have used it on a rebel "300D" and a 40D.... more on that later.

Now for my review:
This is a fun lens! Keep this in mind when you want to use it, it screws with perspective.... the closer things are to the lens, the bigger they are, and this can make a big difference doing a simple portrait with someone holding something "in your face" at arms length.

I have used this lens for industrial photography as well as the flickr 365 project, and it is very versatile, when photographing CNC machines it is often the case that they are so big that with a "normal" wide angle zoom (18mm) won't come close to letting you get the machine in one frame, so long as I set up with a tripod and keep it level, the lines really do appear square to the point that only small adjustments are needed to fix anything.

A lot of people complain about the finish, and a lot of people love the finish. I'm with the other half who loves the finish and the build of this lens. I am also grateful for the HSM's full time manual which makes me comfortable handing the camera over to an ametuer to frame and shoot me (they always grab the focus ring to try and zoom in!!!)

I think very highly of this lens. In fact when I was looking to move to a new camera I was considering a used 5D or the 40D new, and decided to go with the 40D based on the fact that I wanted to continue using this lens while I build up my glass to go with a FF body.... and I intend to keep the 40D to still be able to use this lens.

Yes, pointing at the sun will cause abberations (sun-spots), and you can lose some (a lot) of contrast if you're not concentrating on your setup, and you can forget about using the on-camera flash.... not that this is a bad thing as you should have at least a decent speedlite by now anyway ;-)

Bottom line: go for it. If you have any sort of a sense of humor you will have a blast with it. If you have any sort of imagination there is no limit with what you can do with this lens. Also, if you don't have a speedlite yet, not to worry, this lens is great in most light, but it gets better with a nice speedlite.

Feb 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MTBtrials to your Buddy List
ajitpalsingh

Registered: Jan 27, 2009
Location: India
Review Date: Jan 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: value for money; well built; fast and quite focus
Cons:
not very sharp; no weather proofing; not compatible with full frame bodies;

This low priced ultra wide angle zoom lens from sigma is well built and feels solid.

Considered a good travel lens, but I would purely prefer using it for shooting landscapes.

The sweet spot I found was at 16mm-f8, otherwise overall the image quality is a little soft, but when shooting landscapes it is negligible.

If your subjects are too close when shooting at 10mm, then expect a lot of barrel distortion, but I am sure there could be many creative advantages.

Like to share some shots I took from my recently bought Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 for my Canon XTi.

Happy Shooting!

Jan 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ajitpalsingh to your Buddy List
Hitendra

Registered: Feb 15, 2007
Location: India
Review Date: Jan 25, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $539.00

Pros: Superb image quality at bargain price.
Cons:
77 filter size. Lens cap.
Jan 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hitendra to your Buddy List
robindiekman

Registered: Jan 2, 2009
Review Date: Jan 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: HSM; 10-20mm; built quality; sharpness, even in far corners; well damped focus- and zoomring, Min. focus distance of 24 cm.
Cons:
F4-5.6; can't use lenscap when hood attached; flare.

I've been lucky enough to find a excellent copy second-hand for Eur. 300,-, after I thoroughly read a lot of reviews to be informed about all pros and cons of both the Tokina, Canon and Sigma UWA-lenses.

First field-tested this lens on a trip to Germany and Luxembourg, and I'm trilled with the results. 10mm is really fun to play with, and I no longer can imagine having an UWA starting at 12mm.

The sharpness and colors are great throughout the whole image. I've seen no softness or CA in the corners yet, as it is frequently reported here. Guess I'm lucky, after reading and hearing about Sigma's QC...

The HSM is silent and fast. Makes me want to buy more USM or HSM lenses, although the AF tends to hunt a bit in darker circumstances (but as far as I know, this is common and usual in darkness).

The lens is built like a tank. When compared to the kitlens I got when buying my 450D, the kitlens seems like a piece-of-crap toy. The Sigma's focus- and zoom-ring are well damped and the lens barely extends when zooming to 20mm.

On the downside:

Don't know who designed the lenscap, but it cannot be used when the hood is attached. Silly.

Apeture starts at F4, which makes this lens the slowest in the UWA-department. By the way, this didn't bother me at all while taking pictures in darker places, such at churches. At 10mm, F4 still is pretty good to work with.

Although flare is pretty common at ultra-wide angels, this lens sometimes shows an above-average amount of flare. Just don't try to make pictures of the sun, and it won't bother you ;-)

My conclusion:
For the price I paid, this in an absolute winner and it is likely to become my "always-attached" lens.
For the price paid in regular shops, just make sure you have a copy that actually passed reliable QC in terms of sharpness and CA and you will most definitely be satisfied.

Jan 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add robindiekman to your Buddy List
Joe Hunt

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Nov 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Since my last review I've had plenty of time to work with this lens. I'm very pleased with my purchase, let the pictures speak for themselves.
Cons:
You will find the similar comments about the ultra wides. CA in the corners, all depends on how bad the copy is. If you're not happy, exchange it and try another one. I tried the Canon, but kept the SIGMA.

Links to some sample images:

link 1 link 2 link 3 link 4 link 5

Nov 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joe Hunt to your Buddy List
oajlu

Registered: Nov 19, 2008
Review Date: Nov 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Value, ultra wide, HSM,
Cons:
some noisy, heavy, soft edge, slow speed, distortion, flare, ghosting

I used this lens for an year, and overall it's an good lens if you are on budget.

Nov 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oajlu to your Buddy List
Leginmat

Registered: Nov 21, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, colours, contrast, price, build quality and HSM!
Cons:
Not horrendous but as expected, distortion of corners and wished it was constant aperture...

Paid $659 AUD (Just before the Sigma price rise!)

After parting with my Sigma 100-300mm, I decided why not continue the good experience concerning the short end.

Once again, build quality is excellent and so is the performance. Highly impressed by the sharpness and colours this lens is able to produce! Let alone the price of it as compared to the 10-22...

Hood is included and mine came with the centre pinch front cover meaning the front cap is not an issue.

Completely un-edited shot below:

Nov 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Leginmat to your Buddy List
online_mark123

Registered: May 20, 2006
Review Date: Oct 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, range, build, sharpness.
Cons:
Nothing.

This is only my second lense for my 350D which I bought brand new (I know, it's a long time) but I'm so happy with it!

I've never used an L-lense so can't compare, but I've taken a hundred shots with this yesterday and the results are tack sharp and with colours lust flowing off the screen.

Very highly recommended, it seems I don't have a duff copy although I've not checked it thoroughly yet.

Filters are expensive so I've not bought one yet, but included hood is a bonus.

10-20 doesn't sound like much but it really REALLY is in real world usage.

Buy one!

Mark.

Oct 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add online_mark123 to your Buddy List
Todd Cphen

Registered: Oct 13, 2007
Review Date: Sep 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality and clarity are fantastic.
Cons:
Some minor distortion at the outter edges

Sep 28, 2008