Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

166 397815 Sep 15, 2013
8.4
111_small

Lens Construction: 14 Elements in 10 Groups
Angle of View: 102.4 - 63.8 degrees (Sigma SD format)
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 6 Blades
Minimum Aperture: F22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 24cm / 9.4 in.
Maximum Magnification: 1:6.7
Filter Size Diameter: 77mm
Lens Hood: Petal Hood
Dimensions: Diameter 83.5mm X Length 81mm
3.3 in. X 3.2 in.
Weight 470g/16.6 oz.

-----

- It covers a superwide angle of view 102.4° to 63.8°(SD format)

- Three pieces of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements and three aspherical lens elements produce top quality optical performance.

- Inner focusing system ensures the length of the lens remains unchanged whilst controlling aberrations.

- Equipped with HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system

- Minimum focusing distance of 24cm (9.4») at all focal lengths.

- Relatively compact, lightweight for an ultra wide-angle zoom lens.

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Sep 15, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice built quality, small, wide angle, sharp in the center, not bad in the corners
Cons:
flare(common with Uwa lenses)

This is a quite nice little lens, with nice built quality and huge angle of view. Seems the Tokina 11-16 is better though, but with smaller range, and bigger CA.

See in more detail at:

Sep 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
mjeffbr

Registered: Dec 6, 2011
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jan 18, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: $610.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap option for uwa on crops, free hood and pouch
Cons:
strange distortion pattern, soft corners, non constant aperture, flare

Read many reviews before buying the lens, every one of them said there was not much difference from the canon 10-22, so I must say the latter is not so good

Well, it flares in a weird way, the aperture is not constant and distortion is kinda different, it is not really "barrel" distortion, but these problems did not really bother me so much, I could correct in post and flare only occasionaly was a problem, also the variable aperture is not such an issue for it is better stopped down anyways

The real disappointing aspect of this glass is sharpness (or lack of), especially around the corners

It is inferior in every way to a 18-55 for example, let alone a 24-105

Build quality is very nice, and on a tripod stopped down at night I got some nice shots, still I think it was not worth it

Jan 18, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mjeffbr to your Buddy List
faid2black

Registered: Mar 21, 2008
Review Date: Dec 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: wide angle for crop, my copy is darn sharp, solid build, relatively cheap
Cons:
not constant aperture

For a while, I had really been wanting to get an UWA for my 40D and decided to try the Sigma out. I have to say my copy has been excellent. Focus is quick, though i've mostly used this lens with landscapes so speed was never an issue. The pictures and views i've been able to take while using this lens are some of my favorites. I've also been impressed with the build as it's very solid. I understand QC could be hit or miss, but i couldn't be happier with this lens.

My favorite shot with this lens on the 40D would have to be this:

Actually, most photos on that trip to kauai were with that lens, so take a look if you want more examples. Highly recommend the lens!

Dec 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add faid2black to your Buddy List
flowatrack2002

Registered: Feb 12, 2011
Review Date: Feb 12, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: good price, wide
Cons:
soft in corners, decentered - lack of Sigma's Quality Control

Sigma is not really good in QC nowadays. I bought this lens second hand and i noticed that the lens is decentered, the right side is not as sharp as the left. the lens is wide but the corners never will be sharp no matter if i use f9-f11-f13 apertures. well you know it - you get what you paid for...

Feb 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flowatrack2002 to your Buddy List
---XR---

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Nov 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: WIDE
Cons:
flare, optically unimpressive compared to 12-24 tokina/nikon.

good but not great. not a fan of the sigma build in comparison to the rock solid in every way 12-24 tokina's i've shot in the past, for the price i'd go with those. However i've have had situation in which 12mm on DX isn't wide enough. so the 10-20 does have something they don't. not happy with flare performance. if you need something WIDE on DX though, this is your girl unless you want to spend $900 on the 10-24 nikkor with variable aperture and plastic build (no thanks).

Nov 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ---XR--- to your Buddy List
LPrimeFreak

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Review Date: Jul 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: 10mm (16mm on your cropcam) is very wide, cheap, good price/quality
Cons:
lenshood needed in sunny situations (or flare).

Had this UWA on my 40D in past, very wide on 10mm (16mm crop), only had some rainbow marks in my pictures (flare) but I forgot to put on my lenshood.

Second hand it's a great budget lens, but I sold it cause I didn't use it often and went to fullframe. I realised there aren't many amazing landscapes in the neighbourhood Smile

As usual from Sigma good built quality.
Also check Tokina's 12-24 which is a bit more expensive.

Jul 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LPrimeFreak to your Buddy List
aVOLanche

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Jul 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bets UWA for the price VERY wide compared to 12mm on 1.6 crop Excellent build
Cons:

This is the only non-Canon lens that I currently own.It's fantastic,especially at it's price.

I'd love to have the wider 8-16mm Sigma,but the price prevents that.

This lens is sharp,contrasty,great color,comes with a lens hood at a bargain basement price.

To be fair,I have seen some copies with decenterin issues(have seen 8-16mm Sigmas with the same).My advice is to buy from a dealer with a good return policy.When you get a good copy,you will be amazed!

Jul 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aVOLanche to your Buddy List
avilar

Registered: Jun 28, 2010
Review Date: Jun 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Price, angle-of-view, zoom range, build quality, finish, size, fixed stupid lens-cap
Cons:
IQ in corners, focusing

Have had mine for 4 days and still uncertain whether I have a good/average/bad copy.

Looks OK in centre at any aperture, but corners are disappointing, particularly the left hand side.

AF seems like a hit'n'miss affair, at least with my Nikon D90.

Should I try and exchange for another copy? Sample plus 100% crops from corners here:
1/160 at f8.0, ISO200. EXIF says focus point was 2m which should get me from 0.5m to infinity DOF (according to dofmaster.com)

Good news is Sigma have finally fixed the stupid lens-cap issue: it is now center-pinch.

Jun 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avilar to your Buddy List
redblank

Registered: May 3, 2010
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $479.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: amazing wide angle with limited distortion, build quality
Cons:
none so far

After my Sigma 17-70mm bit the dust (I think just finally wore it out -- I used it almost every day for 2.5 years), I decided it was time to replace it with an even wider model. Although the 17mm was great for architecture outside and pretty good for interiors, it was still not wide enough for tight interior spaces.

Needless to say, with this new 10mm lens, tight spaces are no longer a problem! I am amazed at how much more I can capture with the extra field of view.

Highly recommended for interior architectural photography.

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add redblank to your Buddy List
mjbrownie

Registered: Nov 16, 2009
Review Date: Nov 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great range on a crop for natural landscapes and candid group shots, color rendition (in good light), nice chunky feel
Cons:
flare, limited to crop sensor

Any lens that passes the ultimate amateur test of surviving a waist high drop onto a dirt track is worthy of a positive review. Still going strong. So consider this a reliability review.

I've had my copy a while now, initially I found the colors a lot more pleasant than my first lens (a 17-85 which has since been given away) when travelling.

It's also performed well in some extreme hot dusty days that I think were the cause of my other lens probs. I've seen two 17-85 lenses have AF's go on them so I'm interested in long use reviews. My experiences would make me inclined to recommend this lens over the Canon 10-22 counterpart thats still $100 more.

Quick example here (after the drop)

My current expedition combo is a 300mm L + 1.4 tc for birds 10-20mm for (big) rocks.

Nov 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mjbrownie to your Buddy List
Haring

Registered: Sep 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: good range if you happen to have a crop body
Cons:
not as good as the Canon L series

Don't even think about it.

The picture quality is just lifeless....:(:(:( It is better to keep the kit lens! Ok. it is not that bad but you can not compare it to the Canon 17 40 L.

I sold it and bought a Canon 17 40L. What a big difference.

You can see a few pictures in the portfolio for real estate properties:
www.haringphotography.com

Sep 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Haring to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $440.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, fast focus, sharp, excellent color
Cons:
Bit o' distortion, variable aperture

I've had the Tokina 12-24/4 for both Canon and Nikon (non-af motor version), the 11-16/2.8 for Canon and the 10-17 fisheye, so I wasn't exactly new to UWA's. I wasn't thrilled with getting this lens, but I wanted a AF motor UWA (and the 12-24/4 mark II wasn't announced yet), which limited which lenses were available to me. I also didn't want to spend the money for the Nikon-branded 12-24. So in all respects this was a compromise lens.

Turns out, however, it wasn't much of a compromise. It's a terrific lens! Sharp, even wide open. Fast AF. Nice build. I'm really enjoying it!

Aug 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
Dustin Gent

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, IQ, build, 77mm filters
Cons:
Wish it was a bit faster

After reading some negative and so-so reviews, I had to look at my lens and make sure it was the same one I had. This lens is absolutely AMAZING! I had an EF-S 10-22mm a few years ago, and I would rate this lens sharper, IQ better and the build quality better than the 10-22mm. I do wish it had a bit longer reach and a litte faster.

I just bought this lens from a guy who was selling it for $250. It is absolutely sharp, right from the camera. I highly recommend this lens!

Jul 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dustin Gent to your Buddy List
dlborges

Registered: Nov 5, 2008
Review Date: Jun 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Crystal clear, sharp lens, incredible color, very fun and creative lens to use. Didn't realize its capability on landscape until I took it somewhere that I could truly connect the lens to creativity and scene.
Cons:

There are some negative reviews, but I beg to differ. Here's one of my favorite images taken in the incredible Monument Valley Utah. There's a thousand ways to screw this up, but I love the image and will recall the simplicity of using this lens in a situation when I didn't want to think about equipment. I was too busy being taken back by the breathtaking beauty of this immense landscape.
Judge for yourself:

Jun 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dlborges to your Buddy List
proshot

Registered: Jun 14, 2009
Review Date: Jun 14, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: small and handy built size, good coating, little CA
Cons:
after 20 years of Sigma bias, the legendary non existent Sigma quality end control seems to be alive

My advice to PRO users:

stay away from this product.
QC seems non existent, I am now on my 3rd item (!), and still
plagued by horrible decentering and quality issues.
Forts two were exchanged by Sigma themselves, but still not progress, so this lens is either ultra complicated to manufact, or Sigma doesn´t care at all.
Non usable through all focal lenghts.Back for refund.Sad.

Jun 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add proshot to your Buddy List
zergkind

Registered: Dec 25, 2008
Location: Russia
Review Date: May 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $640.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: wide angle, not flare prone, ability to use filters, tank-like build quality, price tag, complectation
Cons:
DC lens, not as sharp as sigma 12-24

That was my upgrade out of 18-55 kit lens on canon crop sensor body. I bought this lens especially for creating panoramic pictures and made a choice between sigma and canon 10-22 based on reviews, price tags and complectation - lens hood and a pouch included in sigma's pack are useful. It's quite strong to flares as already mentioned in many reviews - so it's a big advantage for panorama creation. It has no CA on longer end (20mm) even wide open, though 5.6 is not very fast to call it 'wide open', imo 8]

I did not choose my specimen out of many copies, just went to a local shop and gave them money. Image quality was good enough to sell stock photographs. Though, now I'm with FF body and use sig 12-24 instead of this glass. Have to say that 12-24 is sharper, especially in corners. It also seems that I like pics from 12-24 more, mb FF sensor is the reason (5d2 vs 40d).

May 19, 2009