223 277695 Nov 30, 2013
5d_586x225_2_

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.

World's smallest and lightest full-frame digital SLR* with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

lovinglife

Registered: Mar 11, 2008
Review Date: Oct 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size/feel of camera, High ISO Performance, Colors, IQ, Full frame, PRICE.
Cons:
For the price, are u kidding?

This is my second 5d. I have used the XT, XTI, 30D, and a bunch of Nikons (not full frame).

For the price, the 5d has got to be the deal of the century.

The closest competitor to the 5d at this time is the Nikon D700, which is currently priced around $2500. I really wanted to buy the D700, but the Canon lineup of fast prime 'L' left little to be desired. Nikon does not have the same lineup of fast primes as Canon, i.e. 85L-II, 135L, etc. The biggest motivation to buy the D700 is the 14-24mm lens, which I also own, but have decided to purchase the 16x9 adapter so I can use it with the 5d.

I have no qualms about all the supposed 'deficiencies' of the 5d, none of which have affected my ability to take excellent pictures. The IQ is often compared with the 1ds series, and the D3/D700 and is right up there with the much more expensive camera. The best part is, if the 5d breaks or gets stolen, I'll just go out there and buy another one. Also - If at any time I get sick of it for some reason, can sell it very easily without losing money.

I would recommend the 5d in my sleep!!!

Many people feel once the 5d Mark II comes out the 5d will stop producing wonderful images. Think again!!! At best, the 5d-Mark II will have a 2 stop high ISO advantage over the 5d. But with the wonderful fast primes that Canon makes, is it really going to be that big of a deal?? 21 Megapixels on the 5d Mark II ---> I would question the advantage of having such a large pixel resolution on the same size of sensor. For 98% of intended use, 12.8 megapixel will be more than sufficient, and in most cases will be much more than required, at least until the price of the 5d Mark II stabilizes.

The bottom line is, its mostly about lenses and the decision to buy a camera body should be based on the type of lenses that are intended to be used.

Oct 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lovinglife to your Buddy List
jlwrbowsx

Registered: Mar 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible IQ, Love the DOF. My lenses are even better now and function like they were meant to be!!!
Cons:
Only suitable for studio work.(sarcasm, whatever!, yeah right!).........NONE!!!!!!!

First of all when I picked this camera up at the store I was surprised when the sales person tried to talk me into the 40D instead. His argument was that the 5D is meant for studio work only. Stating that the speed would hinder my ability to capture moments during weddings. I just ignored his sales pitch and laid down my $1,750 with confidence(refurb with 3 year warranty). I'm here to tell you I've never looked back. Here is a 3 year old camera, "out of date some might say" that bests even the new models coming out now. To be honest with you the 5D MkII doesn't impress me much. What really impresses me now is a camera that really shows off my L lenses abilities. My 24-70 is sharp as a tack now throughout the range. And my 50 f/1.4 is even better than before. And my 70-200 f/2.8 well I was always happy with that to begin with but WOW, what a lens!! These lenses where meant to be on full frames. The speed well at 3 frames a second I can't imagine I'll miss much unless their playing basketball down the isles. I know now that I'll be able to provide more value to my clients with this camera and thats all that matters to me. Looking back I'm sure the salesman was wanting to offload the 40D's. I just wish he would have been more honest. If it wasn't for the price I would have taken my business elsewhere. So for all of you who can't decide on whether to get a 5D over the new one. Don't hesitate. It's a bargain now and a true gem!!!

Oct 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlwrbowsx to your Buddy List
petr vokurek

Registered: Apr 16, 2007
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Sep 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, FF
Cons:
all the well known things- not an action camera, no wether sealing, no sensor cleaning...

I have used 5d since it was introduced in 2005 and have always been happy with it! It has served me so well and earned so much money that I have nothing but praise for it. I knew it was the right thing for me the moment I first put it to my eye- finally a large and bright viewfinder! And of course, full frame! The resulting files are a joy to work with. Crop format sucks if you do not need your lenses to be longer.

Now that its successor has been announced I thought I would get one. But....a new grip, new batteries, probably new software...all that makes 5d II guite expensive compared to its older brother. I donīt need the extra pixels, let alone the video. So what I have done is bought another 5d in very good shape second hand for next to nothing. I am sure both my 5 dīs will serve me well for another couple of years.

PS: I am getting another 5d because mine has had quite a history and I am expecting shutter failure any moment....but it is still not coming and everithing keeps on working perfectly even after 3 years of heavy proffessional use!

Sep 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add petr vokurek to your Buddy List
ohyeah

Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Review Date: Aug 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: FF, very usable high ISO, IQ, smaller and lighter than the 1D series. You can find great deals now that it's successor is looming around the corner.
Cons:
None that I already knew about, so I can't complain! ;-) But if I 'had' to: Slow AF, 3 FPS, weather seal (but it's not a 1Dx), only uses CF cards so I have to purchase duplicates of my SDHC cards.

I currently have a 1D Mark IIN and wanted a full frame camera for portrait and general shooting. Also, the 1D is heavy and I wanted a 'walk around' camera that didn't scare people! ;-) The reaction I'd sometimes get with my 1D and 70-200 f/2.8L IS was similar to pointing a gun at them, they'd run for cover. My 5D with the 24-105 f/4L is so much smaller, lighter, and less conspicuous!! Sure, it's no 1D/70-200 2.8, but it's not meant to be.

I was eagerly awaiting the 5D's successor, but found a great deal on this camera and figured the new 5Dx would be very expensive at first. And at about $1800, it's an amazing camera!

I'll post another review once I've had a chance to shoot some venues with my two Ls.

Aug 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ohyeah to your Buddy List
norrislw

Registered: Aug 5, 2008
Review Date: Aug 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full Frame, Bright viewfinder, IQ and ISO performance
Cons:

This was my first Canon DSLR, impressed with IQ and ISO low noise. Bokeh comes out so nice with the L glasses. Added with the vertical grip, it feels very comfortable in the hand. I wished it had more AF Points, but can't complain with this FF body.

Aug 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add norrislw to your Buddy List
Mick I

Registered: Sep 10, 2006
Review Date: Jul 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Most likely the best DSLR designed to date.
Cons:
I can not find any.

Jul 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mick I to your Buddy List
vladan

Registered: Jul 28, 2008
Review Date: Jul 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, low noise at high ISO, reliable performance, good overall camera out in the field and studio. Light and easy to use.
Cons:
Shutter speed should be 5fps.

I went straight from shooting with Nikon film cameras to the Canon 5D 2 years ago for professional projects. I have to say that I'm a fan!

Why the 5D? Apart from the build quality, I chose the 5D over the 1DsII at the time because the final image quality between the 2 cameras was not enough to warrant the extra cost, even though it was not much of an issue. I shoot everything from fashion, food, portraits, industrial and product photography. Occasional wedding photography if time allows. With all these projects I've never found the 5D wanting, even action/sports to a point.

Using L series lenses is a must to get the most out of this camera, and for my purposes (print media) it's never disappointed me or my clients. Post production of RAW files in PS CS3 is fantastic.

As with any tool, knowing your equipment is vital to getting the best out of it and the 5D is a pleasure to use once familiar with it. It's the type of camera where your only limit is your imagination.

All I need to get now is a 14mm L wide angle and I'm set. Just upgrade the body when necessary.

I'm looking forward to the 5DII due shortly!

Jul 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vladan to your Buddy List
JackyFong

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: Jul 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Feels great holding; Very sharp with my 16-35L f2.8 mk I and 70-200L f2.8; Sharp at all focal length (with tripod of course); FF means I can see more thru my viewfinder
Cons:
Needs good lighting conditions; DUST, speckles of dust still could dance when I blew it with a blower; Poor battery grip shutter button (almost instantaneous shoot)

Bought as an used set with the battery grip. I was VERY worried that my 16-35L mk 1 could not work on this FF cam. It was due to I had recalibrate the mk 1 to a 1.6x crop body. Canon told me during my consultation that I might need to recalibrate back to a FF alightment on the 16-35L mk 1. But I took a gamble and it paid off. The results (after extensive shoot with and without studio light) were great.

The viewfinder is very bright and wide. Now it has become too wide, I might need to look for a 24-70L. Now I can see more and more reasons to get more L monsters...

Now ISO starts from 50-3200 means I might not need the 580EX flash but it is always safe to bring one.

The grip is good to have one as a balanced to my big hands. But, the major problem with the battery grip is that when I tried half press focus to recompose or lock AF points, the grip's shutter button will instantaneously fires of the shutter rapidly (even my 5D body not in burst mode?).

Also by turning the grip to 'ON', my 5D's body shutter button actually turns soft like the grip's shutter button. It also fires off almost instantaneously without giving me time to recompose. But turning the grip to 'OFF', the 5D's shutter button becomes as normal; as in I can half press lock shutter and recompose b4 fire off shutter. Perhaps due to faulty grip.

Dust can be a headache and now I need to bring along cleaning equipment for every shoot. But it seems no amount of cleaning could get rid of dusts in my viewfinder.

Overall, having upgraded from 300D to 30D and now a 5D, I think I will buy another as spare in the years to come when prices dropped further; or a 5Dmk2. But currently, this is my battle horse.

Jul 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackyFong to your Buddy List
JMyerz

Registered: Sep 15, 2005
Review Date: Jul 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Full Frame, Amazing Files, Wide range of SHARP Fixed lenses, Film like feel, more than I can fit
Cons:
3fps (5 is perfect for me), Sealing, SLIGHTLY slow AF

Being a professional photographer since the days of film, 4x5 and 645 I shot nikon all along the way. Even after the D3 I could not justify $5k for a 12.1 MP camera with less pixel pitch and the lack of nice, sharp and fast primes finally made me switch.

While I have to be a little more mindful of this body the files I get are so much nicer and get way better results when working in ACR. The USM lenses are very nice as well. Slow yourself down and learn to clean your camera and you will not be disappointed with this camera.

I highly recommend this camera even with the rumor of a 5D2 out there and even after the D700 announcement. Nikon has been playing catch up for too long.

Jul 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JMyerz to your Buddy List
hsw21

Registered: Aug 18, 2005
Review Date: Jun 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Finally found back those lost feeling when I first left film camera and switch to digital crop body.
Cons:
Dust magnet.

Jun 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hsw21 to your Buddy List
Gaspar Avila

Registered: Sep 6, 2006
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Jun 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lots an lots of them!
Cons:
Only 3 fps (not that it matters to me...); Not weather sealed

I've been using mine for over 2 years. Never had a problem. Never cleaned the sensor, although there are a few spots, but can be easily removed in PS.
Still a wonderful piece of equipment, even now, 3 years after it was released.

A good advice: buy only Canon L lens. This camera deserves only the best glass available.

Jun 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gaspar Avila to your Buddy List
george malamis

Registered: Aug 9, 2007
Review Date: Jun 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: View finder, ff sensor, High ISO performance is the best of any camera I have used to date
Cons:
Needs an update to AF system, buffer fills pretty fast

Jun 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add george malamis to your Buddy List
John Morlidge

Registered: Mar 31, 2007
Review Date: May 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame, Resolution, Handling...
Cons:

I had been looking at this camera for the last couple of years but have finally taken the plunge and got one.

Ok, it doesn't have the speed, digic III or 3" screen of the 40d, and I'm sure the mkII will come out eventually but I knew that when I got it. I got a 40d last year rather than the 5d because I thought the 5d was getting long in the tooth. Whilst I love the 40d, having used the 5d for about a month now I can say that there is something special about the 5d which I think breaks down into three main areas:

1) Large view finder!
2) WA lenses are actuall wide!
3) IQ is fantastic!

John.

May 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Morlidge to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: May 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame; 12 megapixels; Quiet shutter; Lightweight (compared to the 1-series); Terrific color; L-lenses are now all "perfect" (they were great before)!
Cons:
3 frames per sec-the only thing wrong!

I agonized over this camera for 2 years. I wanted one but chose to get a 30D instead. Now.. I miss the 30D's machine gun shutter, but that is all I miss. Everything else about the 5D is head and shoulders better than the 30D. Sometimes I miss the 1.6X crop, but most of the time I don't even think about it or notice it. (unless I'm shooting birds) Even then that is more of a lens issue. If you are wondering what to get, this one is a keeper. Get the 5D, you won't look back!

May 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List
cor55

Registered: Apr 15, 2008
Review Date: Apr 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame, large body - fits well in the hand
Cons:
Some plastic parts a bit flimsy

I chose the 5D 2 years ago after deliberating and testing it agaisnt the (then current) 20D. The image quality of the full frame sensor is superior to the cropped sensor, particularly in low light, high iso situations. The grain on the 5D image is fine at 1600iso, whereas the 20D was coarse, pixelated almost, when I enlarged to A4 (letter) size.
The 40D is now an improvement on the 20D, but the larger physical size of the pixels and sensor on the 5D makes a cleaner image. The 40D is slightly better colour, 14bit, the 5D is 12bit, but this is not a major significance, particularly with some very simple post tweeking of the RAW files.
The larger size of the 5D body also appealed to me, it feels more like a camera. The 40D feels a bit small, particlarly when you look through the viewfinder, which is darker and smaller because it is scaled down to match the smaller sensor size.

The real reason I brought this camera was because the lenses work the way the are supposed to. No crop factor. Two thumbs up.

The 5D is not classed as a professional camera by Canon, although many pros do use it. This shows up in the build of the camera. The battery and CF card doors are very flimsy; the batter door creaks against the heel of my hand when I hold the camera to my eye. The camera is not water or dust sealed either. But these are only minor points, and if you need this type of camera build, you must get a 1 series.

All said, I rate this camera a 10. The images it produces are comparable to my old Nikon F3 35mm. In fact, the prints I do at home on a Canon IP400 printer look no different to photo prints made from a negative. So it doesnt have sensor cleaning or live view. Big deal. Live view is only for studio tripod work anyway, get an Angle Finder C, the quality is better than the camera screen, and with a little care and a decent blower, you can keep the sensor clean.

Here are some images taken with it:

1600iso

Apr 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cor55 to your Buddy List
quickben

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, full-frame sensor, moderately affordable, holding it's price rather well.
Cons:
Ugly optional battery grip (10D grip looked better)

I love this camera. A clear step up from the other dslr's I've had (20D/10D/300D) and still better than the 40D I have as a back-up camera. Lenses are as they should be due to FF sensor. My L-Series primes simply shine on this camera. I doubt I'll upgrade for atleast two generations.

Apr 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add quickben to your Buddy List

223 277695 Nov 30, 2013