520 906153 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

rentedmule

Registered: Jun 13, 2008
Review Date: Jun 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, good zoom range.
Cons:
Daughter always wants to use it.

The perfect vacation lens. Stays on the camera 80% of the time. Light and quick. If you are going on a "pure" photography outing then its hard to beat the primes. If you are going out w/ the family and want memories then this one is hard to beat. I love my 70-200 f/2.8 IS but it is a little much to lug around. The 24-105 draws less attention than a truly big lens but still packs a big IQ punch. I am still amazed by the amount of keepers I get with then lens.

Jun 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rentedmule to your Buddy List
slapshot-66

Registered: Jun 29, 2004
Review Date: May 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal length, IS, image quality, sharpness, AF speed
Cons:
None to speak of...I mean I guess it could be an f2.8 and cost $299, but short of that, this is a killer lens!

Without a doubt, this is my new favorite zoom. While my 70-200L f2.8 is a FANTASTIC lens, the 24-105 is a great focal length, fairly light and compact and produces amazing images. When I first got this lens, I ran it through some quick test cases. Shooting wide open throughout the focal range, etc and this lens is as sharp at f4 @24mm as it is stopped down. The color and contrast are flat out amazing. Also the AF speed is very quick. I can see that this lens is going to spend a lot of time mounted on my camera. I would HIGHLY recommend this lens to anyone.

May 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slapshot-66 to your Buddy List
David Murrell

Registered: Jan 26, 2007
Review Date: May 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal range; image stabilisation; sharpness; contrast; no obvious CA problems.
Cons:
For the price; focal range; build quality and IS, nothing. Well maybe just a tiny bit too much distortion at the wide end, and a bit of vignetting wide open on a full frame 5D but that is not disasterous.

A brilliant lens. Big enough; solid enough; sharp enough at either end (and the focal ranges in between).

Every now and then I wonder about the 24-70mm; but I know I'd miss that extra 35mm at the end more than I'd miss the extra stop.

Get in close for portraits and the bokeh is great at f4.

Yes, barrel distortion is high at the 24mm end but that can be taken into consideration when composing the photo. And it can be removed using software. Or you can use the 17-40mm lens; but to be honest I rarely use that lens now I have this one, and the 17-40mm (which I find softer, especially in the corners) is likely to be up for grabs on Ebay sometime soon.

Yes, there is vignetting wide open, but again this is not as big a problem to me as not having the right focal length on the camera.

I didn't think I'd really use IS, but it is useful. In fact I was surprised that I found it more useful than on my 300mm f4 IS lens which usually sits on a monopod and is mostly used for wildlife/action where IS is not useful.

My honest opinion is to get the 24-105 unless you shoot lots of photos with lots of action in the 24-70mm range. I prefer street/travel/potrait photography and I think this lens suits these needs better.

FYI, my gear contains:

50mm f1.4
100mm f2.8 macro
300mm f4 IS

May 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add David Murrell to your Buddy List
nikon90s

Registered: Jul 23, 2004
Review Date: May 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: This is a walking around lens, it is very sharp and everything you would exspect in an L lens
Cons:
I would like it to be faster but I spent the money anyway so I guess it was not that big of a deal....

I really think everyone should have this lens, it stays on my camera most of the time. After a long time shooting Nikon and not being happpy with the sharpness of the lenses I had (sigma) I made the move to canon and this was the first lens I picked up and I never looked back.

May 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nikon90s to your Buddy List
Mark Ormerod

Registered: Aug 14, 2007
Review Date: May 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Colours, colours, colours ! Sharp wide open, excellent IS, excellent contrast. Solid but light.
Cons:
Nothing comes to mind. In an ideal world it would be wider and longer but no ones yet made that 10-600mm IS walkabout F2.8 lens yet.

I'd discounted buying an "L" lens from fairly early on. I really couldn't see what the fuss was about - it seemed like a huge difference in cost to upgrade. Like others on here I'd been using a 28-135 and thinking were the rubbish images me or the camera. I realised it wasn't me when I was getting consitently better images with my 70-300. I finally after a lot of review reading decided to take the plunge and coughed up for this as my general lens.

I wish I done so from the start. Razor sharp at 4 - across all ranges - and the colours and contrast just blew me away. I've never seen colours or contrast like it. The IS really works (no shock there) and build quality is excellent. This is hardly ever off my camera. 24mm is definitely wide enough for my type of landscape work - I'll probably stick the 10-20 back on for Scottish / Welsh mountains but I've not touched it for my landscape work in Cornwall.

A couple of images to show the colour / contrast :

Worth every penny. The only time it ever comes off is when I need longer than 100mm for wildlife.

May 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Ormerod to your Buddy List
Cemalina

Registered: May 15, 2008
Review Date: May 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Is it possible to have a love affair with a lens? This lens on the 40d complements my 10-22 & 100-400mm beautifully all sharing the 77mm filter size. This is the sharpest lens I have ever owned. Shot children, wildlife, landscape & buildings since I got it on Monday. It weighs perfectly. Even though it comes in at 38-160 plus on 40d you a medium telephoto on a 40d this comes in handy. Indoor shadows slight problem but thats 40ds problem. Canon makes great lenses but not so hot bodies compared to Nikon. Nikon in return at the long end not so hot zoom lens (over 300mm). People have said that this lens is not wide enough for cropped sensors but my experience is if step back a small bit you can have your wide angle or crop in Aperture. This is the definitive main lens for the 40d
Cons:
You get what you pay for

May 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Cemalina to your Buddy List
CrissX

Registered: Sep 29, 2004
Location: Romania
Review Date: May 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, starting from f 4, 24mm, solid build,IS save you,red ring, colors, versatile.
Cons:
Nothing for the moment.

The lens just landed yesterday on my hand. Impresive, testing in all conditions, i'm happy with a perfect copy of 24-105 IS USM. Used on a 30D, great balance.

May 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CrissX to your Buddy List
Q.ng

Registered: May 6, 2008
Location: Vietnam
Review Date: May 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Range, AF, Quality
Cons:

May 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Q.ng to your Buddy List
packpe89

Registered: Mar 5, 2004
Review Date: May 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range, AF and solid construction
Cons:
Distortion on wide end

Traded a 17-55/2.8is for the 24-105. Did this when I traded my 20D for a 1dmkii. I love the range and size of this lens. AF is spot on. Great walk around for the 1D! There is some barrel distortion on the wide end, but somewhat expected with a zoom range of this degree. With this on a 1d and a 70-200 on my 30D, great combo and range.

May 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add packpe89 to your Buddy List
kugaloo

Registered: Jun 16, 2007
Review Date: Apr 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: IS, Range, L Quality and Build
Cons:
f/4

I'm an amateur news photographer and had the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L for a while attached to my 30D. The "brick" was a true friend, a lens I couldn't say enough good things about: it's build and glass is worth the price. Although, I just purchased the EOS 5D and the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM came with it. I reluctantly sold the brick and took my chances with this kit lens. All I have to say is, whew! This lens rocks for what I use it for. Like other reviewers here who were skeptical about the f/4, have no fear, the extra stops the IS buys you is remarkable. I shoot street and various interiors for events, and with its range, this babe delivers (let me also say that this is also largely due to it being attached to the full frame 5D). An f/2.8 would be better no doubt, but the IS is a life saver for photojourno work. I also purchased the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, and with this duo, I rest easier.

Apr 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kugaloo to your Buddy List
cor55

Registered: Apr 15, 2008
Review Date: Apr 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: focal length versatility, IS, ergonomic
Cons:

Brought this lens with a 5D over a year ago. The range from 24 to 105 is the reason I went for this over the 24-70f2.8. I shoot art, street shots, so the IS was a better choice than the 2.8, because I dont often shoot fast moving subjects, and so the shutter doesnt have to be super fast. If you want a fast lens, this is not the one to get. If you want a versatile lens, this is amazing. 24mm gives me great street scenes when travelling, and the 105mm end gets in close for portraits. I have taken a shot at half a second with IS, 40mm, and it is razor sharp at A3 -I am not kidding.

(It's a small jpg, but you get the idea)

I have a steady hand, so this wont be possible for everyone, but without IS, it would be impossible for me. I love the IS on this lens, it is amazing.

When I go traveling this lens is glued to my camera. Great for wandering the streets of Hong Kong or Tokyo. Snap a wide street scene, then zoom in for a portrait. I use a clear canon filter to keep dust and crap off the lens, and this can show up as dark areas in the corners of the shot at 24mm - full frame cameras only. Take the filter off and it diminishes, but can be seen a bit.

The lens is very sharp, weather sealed (I have had it in the rain and only worried about the body, leaving the lens to its own devices.) The zoom ring works smoothly, going from 24 to 105 with barely a flick of the wrist. Not like the 28-300, with is super versatile, but a nightmare to change focal lengths. The lens hood is unobtrusive, and works well at 24mm, but the cut corners defeat the purpose a bit at zoom. You can always attach a full hood to use with full zoom.

Overall, for what this lens is, a versatile f4 wide to mid zoom, it is fantastic. I only have positive things to say about it because I believe it is a high quality lens when used within the limitations f4 imposes.

Apr 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cor55 to your Buddy List
Dirk Garner

Registered: Dec 29, 2007
Review Date: Apr 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IQ, AF is very quick, Color, IS is great, size, build, range
Cons:
f4 (see below)

I am trying to NOT like this lens. I have used it for 5 months now, and just when I think I'm frustrated with the limitations of f4, I see great results from a shoot. The IS seems incredibly stable to me. I have thought often of trading this for the 24-70 2.8 (I see lots of folks fighting with this), but wish it had IS, or that that the 24-105 was 2.8. I guess the price would go up on both were that the case. In all, this lens takes great pictures. Some serious barrel distortion at 24 (expected), but that can easily be fixed in PP. I also notice that it is almost always attached to the front of my camera. If I take one lens, I take this one without a second thought. A great buy!

Apr 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dirk Garner to your Buddy List
MX5NC

Registered: Dec 27, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Colour, Build Quality, 77mm filters, stealthy (even with lens hood), well balanced on 40D, IS effective even at silly shutter speeds (longer than 1/4), ... All round very good 'standard' (for me) lens now.
Cons:
Two mode IS would have been nice.

Apr 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MX5NC to your Buddy List
jfk03

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: Apr 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent color, IQ and build. Relatively light weight; doesn't stand out as a "professional" camera; controls very intuitive; full frame at very reasonable price
Cons:
Lacks some features of "pro" cameras that cost thousands more.

This camera is a particularly good deal when purchased with "kit" EF 24-105 f/4L lens. I am very satisfied with the color and image quality. My 30D is better for sports and birds. I bought this as a landscape camera and for portraits. It is a bit heavier than the 30D but feels quite similar in my hands. About the same "heft." Controls are quite similar to those on a 30D, so the transition was quite easy. There was no big learning curve in getting up and running. This is a top notch camera at a reasonable price.

Apr 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfk03 to your Buddy List
MY02_STI

Registered: Mar 11, 2008
Review Date: Mar 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunning colour rendition. Amazingly fast AF. Build quality
Cons:
Slightly soft at 105 mm

I agonised over the choice to buy this lens as a replacement for the 28-135 on my 40D, as I was concerned about some of the quality issues raised affecting performance, given the rather high cost of the lens.

The 28-135 has proved to be a good reliable lens but had always left me wondering 'is it me or the lens'.

Straight out of the box, the 24-105 left me in no doubt that the 'softness' of my previous image where a thing of the past. At f4 and in fading light, a few random shots were just beautifully sharp with so much more colour and contrast than I had experienced before.

The build quality is what I would have expected from an L lens.

This lens will remain firmly fixed to my 40D for a long time to come

Mar 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MY02_STI to your Buddy List
webman06

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Mar 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $960.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderfull walkaround lens. The color rendition is splendid, as expected from an L series. The IS is great feature. Not too heavy either ;-)
Cons:
none so far

I brought this lens to replace the 28-135 IS for my 1DmkII.
(that lens will stay for my older and venerable 1D !)

The comparation between these two lenses taught me that having a constanst f/stop over the whole zoom range was a notch better, so was the bokeh. The manual focus overide is a plus.
The color rendition is indeed better and the focus speed is there too.
The IS is newer in generation.
The lens hood is included and it does its job quite well.
One can easely agree that the L series are overall better lenses, but the pricetag is also there...

On its first use, i captured a wonderfull child portrait. The skin texture and color were right on.
On second use, i caught breathtaking landscape/scenery...
Personally, a great lens and a superbe addition to my lensbag.
On conclusion, its a definite keeper !

Mar 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add webman06 to your Buddy List

520 906153 Sep 12, 2014