526 928141 May 20, 2015
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Mertz

Registered: Jan 11, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Range, IS
Cons:
Distortion at 24mm

Overall, I really have been blown away by this lens.
While not entirely flawless, it is certainly one of the best general purpose lenses I have ever owned or used. The only faults I can sight are the fact that there is some "moustache" distortion at 24mm and that the IS takes a second or so to function effectively. Other than that, the lens is gold.
The sharpness wide open blew me away from day-one. My first test shots of some pepsi cans wide open at various FLs actually produced moire on the fine print of the can. When observing portraits wide open at 100%, the amount of detail rendered in the focal plane is simply stunning. AND, the bokeh is pretty good. Maybe not 135mm f/2 good, but still very nice.
The colour and contrast are exceptional, the focal range is ideal (for me), the focus is fast and reliable, the lens is sealed and very well built. What more can I say? Excellent, excellent lens.

Nov 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mertz to your Buddy List
analycer

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Review Date: Nov 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range Sharp No zoom creep IS works Price (cheaper than 24-70 F/2.8L that is)
Cons:
Looks (compared to 24-70 F/2.8L) Darker Viewfinder (because of F/4)

Attached to my 350D and always stays there.

Have to be picky when buying this one. The first one I tried out (code UW) was soft even at center (F/4) and has high CA on extreme edges.

I'm not sure about fullframe, but this lens gives decent range, which is more preferable over speed to me. Shoot some sports and portrait. It works really great outdoor, but not so good in low light.

Right now I don't need 70-200 F/4 IS I planned to get any more.

Nov 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add analycer to your Buddy List
avuroski

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great range, color, sharpness
Cons:
speed

Loved this lens, especially on a 40D, believe it or not. Very useful, workable combination. You lose the wide, but you still have basically a 35mm and go all the way past the 135mm portrait. So that was great. I owned the 17-55 2.8 IS first, and sold it to get this. Just liked the color and the range better. That and the IS on a lens this short is a little gimmicky - sure, it's good, but it's not really that important. Nothing like how important it is on the 70-200, for instance.

But when I got the 5D, I no longer liked the lens. It was no longer that long, but the speed was bugging me. People say this is so light, but honestly, I don't feel a big difference between this and the 24-70 I replaced it with. The 24-70, on the other hand, is my god lens. I wish I had just started there instead of going through every other lens canon makes in this range. Even sharper than the 24-105 and the 2.8 does three big things: 1) brightens your viewfinder, 2) makes focusing faster (and focusing in low light possible), and 3) makes shooting indoors at iso 1600 and 3200 a breeze. Indoors at 3200 with the 24-105 was hit or miss. It's possible, but I just didn't like it well enough to stay. The 24-70 is the real deal. It's worth the extra money.

Nov 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avuroski to your Buddy List
hoghunter

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Oct 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome iQ, very quiet and fast. The IS makes it like a f2.8.
Cons:

I bought this lens after purchasing ,ore than ten other lenses. I have covered the full gamut of price and quality. I only wish I had started here because I would have saved a lot of time and money. I like this lens better than my 24-70 F2.8 or my 70-200 F2.8. A friend had told me how much he liked his and I could believe it was that big a deal. This lens actually makes me a better photographer. On our recent vacation to San Francisco, I was able to get some photos that I am proud of. I know this is not uncommon for most people, but not me. I love photography, I have to to spend so much an suck so bad, but this lens is right in my sweet spot. The IS compensates for my hand shake that I didn't realize was there. The clarity of the glass like most L lenses produces tack sharp images.

I think all serious photographers should make this a number one priority for their lens choices. It covers a large range very well. I will admit, I don't do a lot of long range zoom work and if I did, I would prefer a 100-400 or at least a 70-200. But for a good walk around lens, this can't be beat.

Oct 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hoghunter to your Buddy List
overpar56

Registered: Jun 15, 2008
Review Date: Oct 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: I had mine for 2 years. Great focal length on a full frame. It is pretty much my go-to lens on my 5D. IS works great. It's not as heavy as the 24-70 2.8 so it doesn't feel that heavy. Does a nice job with portraits.
Cons:
I've had mine recalibrated for some focus issues twice. The second time at Canon CPS did the trick and it's really sharp and tracks focus well now.

Oct 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add overpar56 to your Buddy List
Rotheus Latham

Registered: Apr 24, 2007
Review Date: Sep 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, build, IS very helpful.
Cons:
None so far.

Bought this lens to replace my 28-105 II after the front element met up with a misplaced fingernail file. I'm very happy with this lens. Zoom is very smooth, focus is fast. The build quality is superb. The lens is very sharp. It is on my 20D 90% of the time.

Sep 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rotheus Latham to your Buddy List
HMZRHS

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Sep 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast esp for outdoor,colour crisp eventhough at F4 and through F11 hook to EOS 1D MKII
Cons:
The extended BARREL.This is not for indoor use esp low light condition.
Sep 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Ottimo contrasto-ottima nitidezza-escusione focale-stabilizzazione
Cons:
una fastidiosa distorsione a 24mm-comunque, recuperabile in P.S.

Un obiettivo per ogni occasione-Ottimo per i viaggi e non solo.
Raccomandato

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
Jeff10ct

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Aug 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great picture quality; good zoom range.
Cons:
Price and weight, but as another user said - you get what you pay for.

I purchased the 24-105mm along with my Canon EOS Rebel XSi, instead of going with the kit lens. I am just starting to get serious about photography but didn't want the lens quality to be a reason that I got OUT of photography so I decided to spend the extra money. I have NOT been disappointed. I am in no way the next Ansel Adams, but this lens can help you take some unbelievably clean and clear pictures. If you're on the fence, I would say spend the extra and go with it - you will not be disappointed.

Aug 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff10ct to your Buddy List
CircleMGraphic

Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Review Date: Aug 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, Focal length range, Sharpness, Color
Cons:
Pricey, but you get what you pay for

I thought my 50mm f/1.4 was sharp, I was wrong. This is my first L series lens, and I have now been spoiled. Took some portraits after bringing this puppy home. At 70mm wide open, this thing is TACK SHARP. Only con I've found of this lens is the price, but you get what you pay for.

Aug 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CircleMGraphic to your Buddy List
Cliffee

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp and contrasty across its full range. IS is awesome. Uses standard 77mm filters like my other two L lenses. USM is fast, accurate and silent. Much lighter than my 24-70 f/2.8L. Ultimate walk around general usage lens for me.
Cons:
Not really a justified negative but if I had to complain f/2.8 would be the icing on the cake.Then I would complain about the weight.

I recently picked this lens up from a local Craigs List seller $700.00 w/B+W Polarizer "Pro"and I'm very happy with it. My longtime friend 24-70 f/2.8L will now either head to the safe and may even eventually get sold. The difference in weight is definitely worth the 1 stop loss for me and the IS works great. From f/4 and up it is very sharp. I could easily compare this to my 70-200 f2.8L any day!

Aug 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Cliffee to your Buddy List
el-richie

Registered: Apr 20, 2006
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Focal length, weight
Cons:
Bokeh

I bought this lens a year and a half ago to change my old EFS 17-85mm IS and all I can say is ooooh!! This is a really great (but easy to carry) lens. I like this lens very much in two different ways. First of all "ergonomics". It's quite light and small and, at the same time, it is very well built. Focus and zoom rings are perfect and give you a very precise control. IS works really well and AF too, though I usually shoot in quite well light conditions. On the other side, image quality is superb. Really good contrast, saturation and sharpness. Finally, the only thing that make this lens just excellent and not perfect (in my opinion) is the poor quality of bokeh in high contrast backgrounds such as light through leaves.

Aug 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add el-richie to your Buddy List
edwardzeltser

Registered: Jul 21, 2008
Review Date: Aug 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal Length, Color, Sharpness, IS
Cons:
F4, some vignetting at 24mm

Great lens for indoor and outdoor, flash photography or daylight. Sharp solid, light

To see some samples on 5D please go to: www.edzeltserphotro.com, Clients, Lenses, Canon 24-105mm

Aug 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add edwardzeltser to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Aug 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, Good Image quality, And IS.
Cons:
None really, Other then some barrel distortion at the wide end.

I bought this lens to replace my old 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 USM which I have been using for a few years on my film cameras and I plan on using this lens when I go fullframe.
I like the build quality of this lens, Very similar to my 17-40. IS is very useful, And the colours and sharpness of this lens is really good too.
I chose this lens over the 24-70 because it's smaller and lighter, And I find IS to be more useful then having f/2.8 for the type of photography that I do.

The lens does have some barrel distortion at 24mm, But that is easily corrected in photoshop.

A good lens, And I can highly recommend it!

Aug 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
smyles_eh

Registered: Jul 26, 2008
Review Date: Aug 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, build quality, AF, IS, and of course, IQ.
Cons:
None, but F2.8 would be nice.

I bought my 24-104 in June 2006 to shoot a wedding (low paying gig, but a great excuse). I had a 28-135IS I was happy with, but thought I should have the "L" quality.

It stayed on my 10D, and now on my 40D about 95% of the time (I also have a Canon 100-400L and a 50 1.4, plus a 19-35 Tamron that I use on occasion). I can't say enough good things.

Build quality - About three weeks after purchase (early July 2006), the strap on my camera (10D, grip, 2 batteries, 24-105L, not exactly a light combination) worked loose, and BANG! 3 feet straight down, lens first onto the cement sidewalk. Aieee! Oh, the howah! The shock to my system was greater than the effect on the equipment. Only a few scratches on the hood and camera, no other damage at all to the lens or body. Talk about dodging a bullet. I am so glad I did not settle for the Rebel XT series camera, btw.

Image quality - The results speak volumes

These are small pics, but should be enough to give you an idea. You can contact me if you want to see larger.

On the 10D:

(Yes, those are real - check the refracted images inside the crystal balls)

(another hobby...)

(I have a 24x36 print of this on my wall)

On the 40D:

(Look at the dust on his glasses...)

If the links don't work, you can see them on my so-called website - www.fandyphotography.ca

So, I do most of my shooting with it, what more can I tell you than that?

If you ask me about buying a lens, I say, "Go to L".

Aug 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smyles_eh to your Buddy List
JustForFun

Registered: Jul 23, 2008
Review Date: Jul 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good Focal Length, Ergonomics, IS, Fast AF and Build Quality
Cons:
A bit Flare prone.

This is my second EF24-105 f/4L IS USM. Sold the first one and almost regretted it straight away. So I bought a refurbished from Adorama.

Comments below are base on pairing with EOS 40D.

Focal Length is ideal for Portrait shots. Loose the wide angle but gain the telephoto. Very ideal pairing with a wide angle zoom like Canon's EF10-22 or Sigma's 10-20 allowing 16-168mm coverage on FF.

Overall, I am happy with the sharpness from f4-11 and it's colour and contrast is generally good too. Real annoyance is the flaring. Both my copies had it and problem compounded by an inadequte lens hood.

IS, in practice, does allows at least 3 stops difference and IS noise level is also barely audible unless you stick your ear next to it.

Construction is generally quite good and for me the ergonomics is excellent. When you wrap your hands around and, it just feels right and the zoom and AF rings are smooth and at your finger tips.

AF is fast and whisper quiet. Coming from mechanical link Nikkor AF lenses and early generation AF-S lenses like the 28-70, 300, 400, 500, 600....the BIG jump in speed and audio perception makes using Ring Type USM L lenses a pleasure..

Jul 23, 2008