516 895548 Apr 18, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84 - 23 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

Venus

Registered: Aug 15, 2005
Review Date: Jan 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good built quality - no arguments about that. Image stabiliser is really handy at the times when you need it. Not too heavy and balances nicely on 5D2 and other crop D series DSLRs. Convenient focal length range.
Cons:
Not really sharp wide open.

I had this lens for a while now but haven't used it much until recently when I did some freelance events photography work - sort of out of retirement thingy. I had forgotten how much I paid for it but it definitely cost a bit more than my 17-40.

This is a "jack-of-all trades" lens that is particularly useful for the photojournalist or 'one lens traveller'. For best results, stop down at least one or two stops. At F8, it produces good results. That's not to say you can't take pictures at F4. Like those once in a lifetime news moment when you have to use at F4 ... you know what I mean.

Imagine what you have - 24, 35, 50, 85 and 105 all in one! Of course you can't except each focal length to have the IQ of the primes I mentioned!

If I am hard pressed to carry only one lens, I would take this and use it effectively.

Jan 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Venus to your Buddy List
Jesper

Registered: Sep 9, 2003
Review Date: Jan 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very good build quality, weather sealed, good zoom range, very sharp (even at f/4), good contrast
Cons:
Vignetting on the wide end, even when stopped down

I'm using this lens on a full-frame camera (the 5D). I mainly do travel photography, where I usually don't have a lot of time to carefully set up a shot: I often need to capture moments quickly.

The zoom range of this lens is nice; I like the fact that it goes up to 105mm, and I would feel restricted by for example a 24-70. The build quality of this lens is very good, it feels very solid and the weather sealing is very useful to keep out dust and moisture.

It's an L lens, which means that I expect the lens to have great image quality across the whole zoom range and aperture range. With regard to sharpness and contrast it meets my expectations - even wide open the sharpness is very good, and colors are vivid and have good contrast.

However, this lens is not perfect. One major flaw is that it vignettes quite a lot on the wide end, between 24mm and approximately 30mm. Even when stopped down to for example f/8 the vignetting is very apparent at 24mm. I find this disappointing for an L lens. You probably won't notice the vignetting at all when using this lens on a camera with a crop factor.

Jan 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jesper to your Buddy List
skippie101

Registered: Sep 29, 2009
Review Date: Oct 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, beautifull colours, versatile, IS, weight
Cons:
barrel distortion at 24-30mm, zoom-end spontaneously extends while you carry it.

If you have doubts between this lens and the 24-70L; here's my end of the story.
I think if the 24-105L wouldn't have been sold as a "kit" lens, a lot of people would consider this lens more often. I tried 4 copies of the 24-70L. Why? Cause everyone I spoke to told me that this was the professional lens. The 24-105L would be more suitable for upgraded amateurs (which I consider myself amongst). But having tried 3 (!) copies and none of them produced satisfying IQ, I decided to try the 24-105L. So glad I did.
Besides the absolute satisfying quality it produces on my 5D, it's also versatile to me, I have no need for any other lenses, except the 50mm f/1.4 for extreme low-light situations.

Would recommend this any day to anyone.

Oct 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add skippie101 to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,219.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Clear, crisp photos. Decent performance in areas with little light. IS enhances the f4.0 medium aperture.
Cons:
None really.

I had this lens on back order through the military / post exchange (PX, I am retired Army). After waiting over 3 weeks I started changing my mind after reading about the superior performance of the 24-70 2.8. I sent an email to cancel this lens and ordered my 24-70 from another vendor. The 24-70 arrived and was above and beyond what I expected. The 24-70 gave me excellent photos. I called about my 24-105 and asked about the cancellation but they said it had been sent anyway. After waiting another week to receive it, it arrived via USPS.

Let me say I considered refusing the lens and letting it go back but now, after trying it out, it's staying. This lens produce some stunning photos. It's also lighter than the 24-70. With the versatility, I will keep both. This will be my walk around lens, rotating with my 17-40, but occupying the main spot. I am glad I have it. Now if I could just get the 70-200 2.8. My experience with this lens shows me you can't believe everything you read.

Sep 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
nickjohnson

Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Review Date: Sep 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: good walk around / single lens solution, fine build, good IQ for range. IS is a real benefit.
Cons:
bit heavy with front heavy balance, complex distortion at some FL's, some IQ inconsistency

Common to all reports

This is my attempt to give something back to the forum members who have provided this wonderful resource. I found much here that helped with my lens selection. So over the last 1 to 2 years here is what I used all on a pair of 5D bodies. (My comments will be subjective and personal. I will try to avoid saying anything that cannot be read in the spec sheets).

17-40 L
24-105 L IS
70-200 f4 L IS
180 L Macro
400 f5.6 L
50 f1.8 mkII
Sigma 50 f2.8 Macro EX

24-105 L IS
Overall a very well judged set of compromises. The IS is a real aid to getting sharp pictures. For some this may be all the lens they will ever need. Over half my keepers are taken with this lens.

Used hand held for walk around, gardens, and most everything really Typically used at f8 to f16.

IQ is good overall and about all one can reasonably expect. A3 prints no problem A2 with a little extra pp work. Some CA - ease to correct. Occasional purple fringe has to be painted out !

Sep 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nickjohnson to your Buddy List
jankson

Registered: Sep 4, 2009
Review Date: Sep 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: 24-90 is it very good on my 5DMKII
Cons:
Only f4.0 and not so sharp at 95-105

I get my with the camera in a kit,and i love it.
It become less than half price on it than(In Sweden okt 2009 (1700$) Kit 5DMKII + EF24-105 in okt 2008 (4485$) and okt 2009 (5197$)

Sep 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jankson to your Buddy List
Haring

Registered: Sep 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: slow
Cons:
good range

The 24-105 I mostly used it for wedding photography on a 5D. Then I decide to sell because the f/4 is slow. I bought a 24 70mm L instead. If you want to see samples: www.haringphotography.com Look for the interior pictures.

Sep 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Haring to your Buddy List
ashley

Registered: Feb 14, 2003
Review Date: Sep 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, image stabilisation, focal range, fast precise focus, superb quality between 35-85mm at all apertures. Incredible anti flare capabilities.
Cons:
Slight distortion at 24mm and not at its sharpest there either. 105mm not brilliant until stopped down a bit. A tendency towards chromatic aberration that is not seen in my prime lenses, but easy enough to fix during processing. Although it's a great lens, it's still rather expensive.

I purchased this lens a few months back as a replacement for my Tamron 28-75mm and I have been extremely happy. I have posted a full review on my blog at:

Sep 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ashley to your Buddy List
terrett101

Registered: May 18, 2008
Review Date: Aug 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $910.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great build quality, very sharp, nice if not outstanding bokah at f4.0. Really good focal length range, this is the lens I keep on the camera body most of the time. I previously had a Tamron consumer lens with a long focal range 28-300. That could produce some really nice shots, but you had to carefully watch the f stop, as it was capable of disappointing softness fully open. The Canon lens is everything I was looking for, and never mind the narrower focal range - these are the focal lengths you will want to use most. And the final bonus - I bought it on eBay, just a year old in absolutely perfect condition.
Cons:
It's a bit heavy, and on a Rebel body the camera is front loaded, but this is not a big deal.

Aug 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add terrett101 to your Buddy List
JRKO

Registered: Jan 12, 2009
Review Date: Aug 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Standard zoom that sets the standard!
Cons:
people complaining about what it can't do......

24-105 on a full frame camera with IS and a constant F4

Who cares if it has some distortion or is not an f2.8 - once you know how to get the best out of it you don't care.

My first L lens and still the one I leave on my camera when packing it away - ready for the next time

Here are a couple of shots:

St Paul's at 1/13th, F4, ISO 1250 at 58mm hand held on a 5D at 02:49am!!

Pole Pole stage on the last night of the Ghent Jazz Festival at 1/13th, F8, ISO 1250 at 24mm taken hand held on a 5D

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JRKO to your Buddy List
bradc

Registered: Aug 10, 2009

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, lightweight (for L lens), close focus capability
Cons:
Purple fringing

This is a lens I went back and forth on for a long time. I have the 17-55 EF-S lens, and a 70-200mm f/4 that I use on a crop body. I love the 17-55, but wanted something tougher for travel and more telephoto. I've seen mixed reviews both really positive and not. When these started getting sold separately from the new 5D at a price discount I decided it was time to go for it. It has turned out to match my needs perfectly. While the 17-55 is excellent AND faster, it isn't as tough and is a little short for my purposes (portraits/family). When indoors I tend to make use of flash or switch to a prime so the f/4 tradeoff was worth it (versus say the 24-70 f/2.8).

I like the quality, the weight is just right, and the lens delivers in sharpness. My only complaint would be some fringing when wide open with high contrast areas. Pretty common in lenses at the wide end, but I'd hoped the f/4 max aperture would do better. In practice it doesn't come up much, as I tend avoid washed out skies anyways, but it can be dealt with in post processing if needed. Some say this focal length range isn't good on a crop body, but it suits me fine. It spends so much time on the camera I hardly need another lens.

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bradc to your Buddy List
Canon ball

Registered: Jan 19, 2008
Review Date: Jul 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal range, F4, build quality, versatility, image quality
Cons:
F4!

This lens is a top quality 'does it all' lens. I shoot people (family), landscape and occasionally sport, and have got great results with this lens with all three. The pictures are rich and contrasty with satisfactory bokeh.

It is more than acceptably sharp for it's uses.

F4 being constant is great, but it is a rather slow lens indoors, when high ISO is going to negate that great image quality. With good indoor lighting or bounce flash, it performs well.

Build quality is superb, it feels very solid and balances the camera very well.

A superb general purpose zoom.

Jul 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canon ball to your Buddy List
nadeeda

Registered: Sep 2, 2007
Review Date: Jun 25, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: lightweight, center sharpness, fast.
Cons:
CA, CA, CA

Jun 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nadeeda to your Buddy List
franzoi

Registered: Aug 30, 2008
Review Date: Jun 8, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Very light, perfect for travel, tropicalizzed.
Cons:
No ring block.

Look my photo in Nepal With this fantastic lens.
This perfect for me. For my travel in the world.

Jun 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add franzoi to your Buddy List
stephenmak

Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Review Date: Jun 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image Stabilization, Range, Build Quality, Reasonably Sharp, Price
Cons:
Price, Distortion, F4.0.

It's a great walkabout lens on a 1D Mk II, but it distorts a bit too much on the wide angle making it problematic if you're shooting anything with straight lines at the edges of the image. It's IS is great, and it's built like a tank. At what I paid for it (used) it was reasonable value given the tank like toughness.

The downside is that it's not as awe inspiring as I would like. My previous lens from which I upgraded to this, was the Canon 28-105 f 3.5 II (the better one, not the cheap one) and I find that the IQ coming out of this lens isn't a whole lot better, and on some days, it's worse. I suspect it has something to do with the IS. Part of it is that the consumer 28-105 was a pretty good lens. I recently was out with the person I gave my old lens to, and had it on my camera for a few moments, and took a couple of shots with it. Not a big difference for my substantial amount of new money.

We're asking a lot of this lens. A 4x zoom range, a constant aperture (albeit a slow one), and Image Stabilization - all for about $1,000.00. If you had postulated you could get one of these twenty years ago, you would have been laughed out of the bar.

So if you're a pro, have lots of money, like the red ring and the build quality -- get one.

If you're an amateur, don't have lots of money, don't care about the red ring nor build quality, the aforementioned 28-105 f 3.5 II is a pretty good deal at about 1/3 of the price, leaving mucho dineros for other glass.

Jun 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stephenmak to your Buddy List
Rollo

Registered: May 26, 2009
Review Date: May 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fantastic image quality (eventually), great construction, genuinely useful range
Cons:
theres a good chance youll get a dud which will need a trip or two to the repair shop to realise its full potential

This is a great all round lens - the image quality is absolutely superb and the IS works extremely well - I have a lot of success getting good, stable pics of my kids, flowers & general day to day stuff handheld at 1/15.

Quality of construction is excellent throughout and everything feels beautifully solid - you can feel the quality!

Autofocus is very quick and usually pretty accurate but it does hunt occasionally if there isnt a great deal of contrast but then thats par for the course.

Sharpness is outstanding too throughout the range...but it isnt all a bed of roses.

I was totally underwhelmed when it first arrived - it was as soft as hell and the AF just wasnt accurate.

This was fixed by a drop into Lehmann's (Stoke on Trent if youre in the UK), who turned it round in 10 days and have completely transfomed it into what I paid 800 for.

If youre prepared to faff about like this youll get your rewards but as others have said about this lens it might take a couple of trips to the repair shop first!

May 26, 2009