515 895240 Mar 11, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Mar 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good general purpose lens, not too heavy, IS works great, sharp
Cons:

I purchased this lens as a general lens for my 5D. When you look at the available lenses in this focal range, this lens sits at the top of the hill. The wide zoom range makes it a great walk around/general use lens. The IS works very well for hand held shots and the L quality build makes it rugged. It isn't the perfect lens though. It does show a little vignetting on the full frame up to about f5 below 50mm. One could also wish for a little more arperture, but I really can't complain too much...I didn't buy it as a portrait lens. On the 30D, it is simply outstanding in every regard.

Mar 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
Matt Graves

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Mar 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp images straight out of the camera. Great focal length on a 30D.
Cons:
It is f4, but I knew that when I purchased it so I cannot really discount the lens for that.

I have had the lens now for about a month and have taken roughly 2000 shots with it. I have found that my style of shooting has changed somewhat beecause I am getting a higher keeper rate. Part of that is that I was always testing the limits of light with my 70-200f4L and 17-40f4L lenses. The IS has really allowed me to start taking more ambient lit photo's. It is a great lens for using at parties, where you might want to get a good shot of someone without being in their face (17-40) or being in the other room (70-200).

I tossed around getting this lens or the 24-70 f2.8 USM. The extra 35mm at the long end was what made the decision easier for me, as I felt I wanted it. I might try the 24-70 sometime, but for now this lens is awesome.

I would recommend it to anyone as their first "nice" L lens.

Mar 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Graves to your Buddy List
Bruce Sawle

Registered: Sep 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight,and Contrast
Cons:

I love this lens it is the perfect walkaround lens it combines a smaller size than the 24-70L with equal sharpness.

Mar 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bruce Sawle to your Buddy List
asabet

Registered: Sep 13, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal length range, sharpness, color, contrast, build quality, image stabilization, size, weight.
Cons:
Barrel distortion, speed (compared with 24-70L). Bokeh is good but not great.

I got this lens used at a great price (2 months old and pristine). It is my most used lens on the 5D for all the reasons I listed above. It is sharp wide open throughout the focal length range and is unmatched for versatility. Highly recommended!

Feb 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asabet to your Buddy List
ReneMurea

Registered: Aug 23, 2004
Review Date: Feb 18, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $890.00

Pros: Sharpness, color, build quality. I love almost everything about this lens
Cons:
No f/1.2. :) Doesn't go below 10mm and above 500. It is not pink. Ops, I already knew all this when I bought the lens so no surprise here.

nt

Feb 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ReneMurea to your Buddy List
Justin D

Registered: Sep 8, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, Perfect range for me on a 30D, Sharp with good colour and contrast
Cons:
Bad bokeh

This lens is a solid all purpose lens. Under the right conditions, it takes awesome shots, though it doesn't do as well as some of my other lenses in less than ideal conditions. There are times when it blows me away and times when I'm a little disappointed that it's not doing all the work for me.
The bokeh is pretty bad - it looks a little like motion blur (even at 1/1000s), which to me makes some of my pictures look like they are taken at slow shutter speeds rather than having out of focus subjects. If you can get a bit of distance between your focal plane and the OOF areas, it isn't so noticeable - it's only when something is not right OOF (though that's always the case to some extent).
The range was perfect for a travel lens for me on a 1.6x camera. I had a 10-22 and 70-200 f4 IS with me for 3 months and I would certainly not hesitate to leave them at home next time.
It stands up well in terms of build quality.

Feb 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Justin D to your Buddy List
peanuthead

Registered: Jul 12, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, good build, handling, compact
Cons:
distortion at wide angle

Great all-purpose lens. Sharp wide open at all focal lengths. Fast and accurate focusing. Great color and contrast. Good build and handling. Good size and weight. My only complaint was distortion at the wide end - I realized I was subconsciously avoiding the wide end, effectively making this lens 30-105mm for me. Ended up trading this lens in for 24-105mm. I do miss 70-105mm and IS now though.

Feb 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add peanuthead to your Buddy List
David H Aaron

Registered: Sep 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, build quality...all that is typical of L lenses
Cons:

I'm a long time prime advocate but took the plunge and bought this lens. I basically justified it by thinking, Iwould keep it only if it compared favorably to my 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8.

I shot about 60 different shots at different apertures from a tripod (obviously, turning the IS off on the 24-105) at 50mm and 85mm, as well as at both ends. At 50mm and 85mm this lens proved as sharp as both primes at f/4 and even sharper at 5.6-11. I was amazed. There were very slight differences in color saturation when I printed the images, but I had to work very, very hard to see them. When I did a blind test, I was completely unable to distinguish which prints came from the primes and which came from the zoom except in those instances where the zoom proved a bit sharper at the center of the image.

I've since shot about 300 photos, including my son's basketball game in adverse light conditions. The IS worked extremely well. The renderings are very pleasing. No disappointments. So for those who are like I was, a doubter when it comes to using other than prime lenses, I must admit this proved to be a very pleasant surprise and learning experience.

Of course, it's not cheap, but I ended up trading in three prime lenses to offset some of the expenditure.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add David H Aaron to your Buddy List
genefixer

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp pictures, IS feature works wonderfully. Feels robust and sturdy.
Cons:
nothing significant

I recently upgraded to a DSLR (Canon 30D) and have begun "collecting" lens. The 24-135 makes for a perfect walk around most of the time lens. Can bring subjects closer, especially with the 1.4X II Canon extender and does remarkably good macro shots. With this lens a longer reach lens such as a 400mm or 300mm IS (still deciding) and a EF-S 10-22mm I think I am all set for the near future.

for just a couple examples see a couple shots from a beginner at:

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add genefixer to your Buddy List
ReneMurea

Registered: Aug 23, 2004
Review Date: Feb 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This is the lens that I use the most. The perfect walkaround lens.

Feb 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ReneMurea to your Buddy List
downeyimages

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $988.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: compact, light, solid built, smooth/fast focus
Cons:
None, unless the lens is being used for some other application that it wasn't designed for.

I have had this lens since Christmas and wanted to wait a bit before I posted an update. Since there were lots of remarks about this lens not being sharp at 105/f4, did cause some concerns.

I had already looked at the MTF charts provided by PhotoZone (http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html), so I knew that at 105 it was not at it's sharpest, however according to the charts even at 104/f4 it is still very good from center to border.

Now that I have had the lens for a while I am *very* happy with it. Without any technical test, just looking at images at 100% I find the images to be very sharp, with good detail. I have no regrets in this purchase, and it satisfies my photographic needs.

Here is one sample taken at 105/f4 hand held, with IS turned on; 1/200; iso 100; canon 20d

The rest of the album (Old Town) was also taken with the 204-105/f4 L

Robert

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add downeyimages to your Buddy List
dpanicc1

Registered: Oct 21, 2003
Review Date: Jan 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a great lens and it replaced my 24-70L. Good color and the pictures and focus seem always right on the money. I use it primarily on the Mark 1DII but occassionally on the 5D and 20D. Never any issues. Good contrast and the bottom line is it produces great photographs.
Cons:
2.8 would have made this a fantastic lens. Even with the hood you can get really bad flare. You can send it in for the problem; I never bothered because it's not frequent.

I am a wedding photographer and this lens is a workhorse for me--my "money lens" if you will. If you don't need the speed this is a great lens.

Jan 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dpanicc1 to your Buddy List
kzaret

Registered: Feb 6, 2005
Review Date: Jan 20, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: IS, range, and finally... sharpness
Cons:

As you can see from my post a few weeks ago, I bought this lens and felt that the sharpness wasn't close to what it should be, especially after doing careful comparisons against a 24-85 mm EF-S lens (at one-third the price). I finally returned the lens to B&H photo (who were very accomodating) and they sent me a new one. I tested the replacement lens against the same 24-85 mm EF-S lens, as seen here:

Verdict: the replacement 24-105/L lens is nice and sharp, and at various settings is sharper than the 24-85 lens (as I would hope). I know from using the original 24-105/L that the IS, color, and brightness are great.

Moral: test your lenses and Canon: improve your Q/C!

I am now happy with this lens.

Jan 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kzaret to your Buddy List
Lochai

Registered: Jan 18, 2007
Review Date: Jan 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid Build, good looking ;)
Cons:

Just got my lens today.

Well I have been reading all the revews here in the forums & reviews section & I feel really bad for everyone who did not like this lens.

I own & use all L series lenses with my 5D & this is just as sharp & beautiful as my 16-35 2.8L & my 70-200 2.8L IS. I was using the Tamrom 28-70 2.8 DI lens & LOVED it. Very sharp with great colours. Well, I find that the new Canon lens just blows the Tamron away even with the difference in F stop. The IS is a godsend for me on this lens. I do a lot of low light shooting & I at first was going to go for the 24-70 2.8 but decided that the IS and 5D noise handeling would take care of my low light needs. So far, after shooting about 50 images in all situations & am VERY pleased.

Sharp edges handheld @ 1/15 sec @ 800 ISO. The 5D's ability to shoot in low light is outstanding. This lens may not be for every camera body but on a 5D it is a perfect match. IMHO

I still have a lot of paces to put this lens thru but for now, I am very happy with my purchase.

Jan 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lochai to your Buddy List
lechos

Registered: Jan 18, 2007
Review Date: Jan 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: size, weight, build, sharpnes, zoom
Cons:
price

got it instead of 24-70 f2.8. After long research and analysing reviews decided that both lenses are excellent products but 24-105 is more versatile, more walk around rather that 24-70 which gives me too limited zoom. I didn't get convinced that i can carry heavy glass for hours and feel OK. Very rarely i need f2.8, i will get a good prime for that. IS works great in dim light. Lens fits great my 30D, size, weight and balance wise. I did test the lens and imagas are really sharp, of course at f4 are tiny soft but as expected. Short post processing fixes it.
this is my second L glass and i'm very pleased with Canon.
My first was 70-200 L f 4.0, both copies are great and don't have any flaws. Contrast and accuracy of the colors are outstanding. Maybe I have been lucky so far or shoping at Newegg really helps in getting a great product.
good luck

Jan 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lechos to your Buddy List
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Jan 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small and light compare to the 24-70L. Fantastic IS, f4 is already very very good. Very nice allround lens, range is very nice.
Cons:
Distortion at 24mm, but not a big issue for me, PT lens corrects it.

I already had the 24-70L, the weigth did not bother me that much, but it atract attention. The 24-105L is much smaller,lighter, the IS is só good, very nice to use in musea etc. The perfect walkaround lens. I use it one a eos 1 markII.

Jan 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List

515 895240 Mar 11, 2014