520 906123 Sep 12, 2014
24-105lisusm

This easy-to-use standard zoom lens can cover a large zoom area ranging from 24mm wide-angle to 105mm portrait-length telephoto, and its Image Stabilizer Technology steadies camera shake up to three stops. Constructed with one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical lenses, this lens minimizes chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. Canon's ring-type USM gives silent but quick AF, along with full-time manual focus. Moreover, with dust- and moisture-resistant construction, this is a durable yet sophisticated lens that meets the demands of advanced amateur photographers and professional photographers alike.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-105mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 84° - 23° 20' (with full-frame camera)

Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with focusing cam

Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 32.5mm)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.2 in., 23.6 oz. / 83.5mm x 107mm, 670g (lens only)

John Mangan

Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,024.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

That big decision: The 24-70 ("The Brick") or the newer 24-105 IS. I have researched for months and purchased both. The 24-105 is equal or better in everyway except moving objects in low light. The 10oz savings alone won me over. Purchase the 24-105 and then RENT the 24-70. You then will confirm you made the right choice. "........ optical quality of the Canon L-Series Lenses and a widely used range of focal lengths, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens is one of the best and most popular Canon general purpose lenses made. The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens quickly became one of my favorites. If I had only one lens, this would be the one." The-Digital-Picture-Review.com

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add John Mangan to your Buddy List
adamo99

Registered: Apr 21, 2006
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: good range, good AF performance in ample light outdoors, IS a bonus at long end.
Cons:
build quality not up to par (compared to 24-70L and 70-200 2.8L), horrid(!) AF performance in low light

I brought this lens along on a recent trip instead of my 24-70L (mounted on a 1DmkII), as I didn't want to bring an entire bag full of lenses. While the lighter weight is nice, the build quality feels almost flimsy in comparison to the 24-70.

Outdoors in daylight, the lens is great! The range is fantastic, and the image quality is excellent. When the sun goes down, and you have to shoot in lighting conditions that are less than ideal, this lens really disappoints. It hunted constantly for focus, even during a stage show lit up by more than a dozen stage lights.

I far prefer the build quality, and low-light AF performance of the 24-70L.

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adamo99 to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Dec 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $110,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: dotato di ampia escursione focale e stabilizzazione. In termini di nitidezza non lo classifico eccellente
Cons:
Soffre di vignettatura e distorsione non indifferente a 24mm -affetto da aberrazione cromatica-

Non merita la classificazione di un obiettivo L
decisamente inferiore al 24-70 2,8 -ha il vantaggio della stabilizzazione e maggiore escursione focale ma la nitidezza non la puoi nč inventare nč elaborare

Dec 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
Ludwigia

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $920.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reasonable weight, sharp, IS work well
Cons:

I am very happy with this lens. I find a great walk around lens and the IS is a real benefit. I have quite a few lenses and this is the one I reach for most often.

Dec 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ludwigia to your Buddy List
Povilas

Registered: Aug 23, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Review Date: Nov 28, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Zoom range! Small, light, IS
Cons:
A pain in the neck to focus in low light! CA visible in particular situations, a bit soft at f4

I have rented this lens to photograph my cousins wedding. It is perfect on a sunny day. However...

When it became darker the lens started to refuse to focus. Under the clouds the CA was visible. Actually, the bride's white wedding dress even looked a little bit blueish. I have switched to Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II for couple of shots and it did not show any blueish whatever... F4 was a usual condition and the pictures are not very sharp. At least when compared to me 50mm.

The focus problem might be related to my entry-level D350. However, the color distortion was a bit strange.

My verdict: choose the right product for the occasion. If you want a good walkaround lens for your vacation - this one should be one of your best choices.
For indoor shooting and important events like wedding - choose something faster (f2.8 at least) and with better optical quality.

Nov 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Povilas to your Buddy List
Andro Lesaca

Registered: Nov 26, 2007
Review Date: Nov 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A good walkaround lens. IS works really well.
Cons:
f4 is tad bit too slow for some of my needs.

I was choosing between this lens and the 24-70 f2.8 (the "brick"). I chose this one for its extra reach and the IS. If the 24-70 had IS i would have gone that way. the EFS 18-55 f2.8 IS was also very attractive, what stopped me was the fact that it was an EFS. (I'm hoping to go full frame in the near future.) And also all the reviews I've read about it being a dust-sucker.

I'm not a pro, but I enjoy shooting events and weddings for friends. Most weddings take place indoors, and I really feel the limitation of f4. Often wish that I had gotten the f2.8, as I like to shoot in available light as much as I can. On second thought, available light shooting is still best done with a large apreture-d prime. So, a good two camera set up would be this lens on one body with a flash and a bright prime lens on the other body. Which is what I do. That brings my "brick"-envy to close to zero.

Don't get me wrong though, this lens is a beaut! Especially for outdoor photography in daylight. I've taken it on long drives to the countryside and the output I get is nothing less than spectacular. My walkaround used to be the 17-85 IS. I was satisfied with that lens for a long time, until I started using this one. Now my 17-85 IS hardly sees the light of day.

Nov 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andro Lesaca to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Nov 22, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: large range, light and cheap (ish)
Cons:
Slow AF, f4, not very sharp,

I recently borrowed one of these to use for a few days as I required the extra range from my usual 28mm - 70mm and also thought it would be interesting to see what the IS was like. It was the worse L lens I have ever used. I ended up using a 100mm macro and swapping with my usual zoom. The IS is pretty pointless on a lens like this and the extra stop of light is really missed. I can see why this sort of lens would be popular on consumer cameras but giving it the L rating implies it is a pro lens, f4 is just not good enough on a 100mm lens.
Several of the pictures did not appear as sharp as I would expect and the AF was considerably slowed by the loss of light. In fact it was a lot slower AF than the 300mm f4..so it isn't just the loss of the stop.
Now this may have been a bad copy, but I would strong urge anyone considering this lens to think again. The 24mm - 70mm f2.8 is around the same price. If you need something longer then get a decent prime or save for the 70mm - 200mm f2.8 IS is very usful, but not as important as having a decent bit of glass that actually has a usable aperture.

Nov 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List
bill savitz

Registered: Sep 29, 2006
Review Date: Nov 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $954.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very useful range. Excellent build quality. Colors. Contrast. Sharp. IS
Cons:
None so far.

I struggled for months and months over whether to buy this lens or the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 or the Canon 24-70 f/2.8. In the end I felt the 24-105 had a more useful range for me than either of the other two, and that was more important to me than the wider aperture. I also felt the 24-105 had a much better build quality than the 17-55.
I don't regret my decision at all. I'm very pleased with the results I get with this lens on my 30D. When I first got it I took it into the city for the day and got lots of good street and candid shots. It works well for landscapes too. I think this is the most versatile lens you can buy for a Canon body. This and a fast prime make the ideal light weight travel kit, in my opinion, which is what I was looking for.
I also wanted a lens that could be used on a FF camera, should I ever get one. With the 5D replacement just around the corner, that could happen sooner rather than later.

Nov 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bill savitz to your Buddy List
woodburyb

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, contrast, range, better IS, and fast, accurate focusing.
Cons:
Initially soft, I sent it to Canon who indicated there was a lens element out of alignment.

I bought this to replace my very good copy of the 28-135mm IS, and was initially unhappy the 24-105mm wasn't as sharp. After the fix all was right. I'm happy with the range at the wide end (my complaint with the 24-135) and it's sufficient at the long end for my needs. This coupled with my 10-22mm covers nearly all my normal shooting needs--and I have a 100-300mm for additional, and rarely used, reach.
I also like the heft and build quality, and am very happy with resulting images from this lens, I have less PS work to do. Other than landscape shooting, this lens is on my camera 90% of the time and overall I am very happy with this lens.

Nov 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add woodburyb to your Buddy List
jeffschabowski

Registered: Sep 27, 2007
Review Date: Oct 23, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,059.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Good weight/IS/well made.
Cons:
Way too soft focus for a grand/AF hunts terribly in low light/F4 just too slow.

I bought this lens from B&H and spent the last two weeks shooting it against the 17-85EFS which it was to replace. It had better contrast and color, but the low light AF hunting and lack of tack-sharp wasn't 500.oo better than the 17-85EFS ( I must have the only 17-85 worth its salt).
B&H is changing it out for the 24-70 2.8 as I write this. We'll see how that one shoots out.
I have to admitt that I'm peeved about the hit or miss quality of the modern lens. It makes it hard to buy one. Do I spend the extra cash and buy locally, where I can test and reject on site, or take my chances and buy snailmail (shipping it back and forth for weeks) or forget the whole thing altogether and use what I have. I thought that manufs would have this lens building thing down pat by now! They're just glass,electronics and machined parts!

Oct 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jeffschabowski to your Buddy List
Jonno Walmsley

Registered: Oct 20, 2007
Review Date: Oct 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great in so many ways
Cons:
f2.8 woud be nice, but hey, it has IS so that'll do i guess.

Great lens. Like everyone i tossed up between the 24-70 and this one. Eventually range won the debate for me.

Gets a little soft around the edges when it's wide open, but i can't really critisize it other than that. It's light, fast enough (for me) and all in all quite sharp in 99% of the things i use it for.

I would definitely recommend this lens, but the 24-70 f2.8 is worth considering also. Just figure out exactly which features you need and what you want to use it for and you should be able to choose between them....or buy both...

Oct 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jonno Walmsley to your Buddy List
Maury

Registered: Jan 22, 2005
Review Date: Oct 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Please delete any more reviews of this lens to my e-mai Thanks
Cons:
Please delete any more reviews of this lens to my e-mai Thanks

Please delete any more reviews of this lens to my e-mai
Thanks

Oct 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Maury to your Buddy List
george malamis

Registered: Aug 9, 2007
Review Date: Oct 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $959.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relatively light, nice focal length coverage for a general purpose zoom, nice color, contrast and very sharp, very useful IS.
Cons:
You could only make it better if it was a 2.8

Oct 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add george malamis to your Buddy List
Maury

Registered: Jan 22, 2005
Review Date: Oct 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

No longer interested in reviews of this product.

Thanks

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Maury to your Buddy List
Erwandy Ikram

Registered: Oct 6, 2007
Review Date: Oct 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $970.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp!, Built Like a Tank, IS That Works, Sharp Wide Open!
Cons:
f4 Limitation. Canon Quality Control - 24-105 copies suffered from sharpness variance

Finally I can give this lovely piece of glass a 10.

This is my second copy. The first one I purchased (brand new) was a total dissapointment. Sharpness was below my 1.8L 50mm f4 standard. So I traded that one off to finance a replacement.

I was about to pull the trigger on a 24-70 f2.8L but somehow managed to get myself enticed enough for a second look at 24-105mm. This time it's a used unit from ShutterBlade (eBay dealer).

True enough my faith has been rewarded. This copy is super sharp even wide open at f4. So sharp that I could hardly tell the difference when shot at f5.6 and f8 (of course f4 will be used when I need bokeh and f8 for wider DOF).

I was content enough that I didn't regret selling off my f1.8 50mm II because I do not see any need to keep it now that my 24-105 offers even sharper images.

(With my 40D, the 24-105 + Standard Picture Style (no enhancement with sharpness) is sharper than my 50mm + Sharpness Set at 6)

This copy is a keeper for sure.

PS:
I am still not happy with Canon Quality Control. They should have paid more attention when releasing lens copies to the market. Perhaps a re-calibration would help but it is still a major hassle for most users to send them back for that

Oct 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Erwandy Ikram to your Buddy List
dan727

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Review Date: Oct 17, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $979.00

Pros: nice build quality, sharpness (expected of an L lense), color/saturationis excellent. Weighs just a tad bit more than the Tamron 28-75 I replaced.
Cons:
Not f/2.8... and for a $1000 lens I would expect something a little nicer that a pouch to store the lens in. I've bought $200 sigma lenses that have nice padded cases!

As yo will notice when you buy this lens... there is a struggle to decide between this and the 24-70L. Sorry I cannot help with that struggle, although I was in the same boat.

I don't do weddings but do a lot of outdoor portraits. So this lens made sense for me because of the range. The IS is handy but that is not what sold me on this lens. I like it because it is also a little smaller and lighter than the 24-70L.

After using it over the weekend and taking quite a few pictures for the local cheerleading squads... I think I made the right choice. Excellent color and saturation and very sharp pictures. This lens has definitely reduced the number of photos I need to post process.

So far I am really liking this lens. As usual with me I regretted ordering this lens over the 24-70L once I pushed the button. But not so much now I have it in my hands.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dan727 to your Buddy List