Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

112 253260 May 29, 2014
efs60_28macro_usm

A thoroughly modern design that's optimized for select Canon EOS digital SLRs. Its angle of view is equivalent to a 96mm lens on a 35mm camera, with a floating optical system that can focus down to full life-size (1:1) magnification. Inner focusing, driven by a silent and powerful ring-type USM, means the lens' overall length never changes during focus. This lens is a wonderful multi-purpose lens that's equally at home shooting macro shots, portraits or available-light photos. Like all Canon EF-S Lenses, its use is restricted to the EOS 20D, EOS Digital Rebel and EOS Digital Rebel XT cameras.

Diagonal Angle of View: 25

Focus Adjustment: Manual

Closest Focusing Distance:0.2m /0.65 ft.

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.8", 11.8 oz. / 73 x 69.8mm, 335g (lens only)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: May 29, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic picture quality, excellent sharpness for macro, good build quality small and light, very nice manual focus ring
Cons:
it is hard to find real negatives for this lens

This is a fantastic lens, incredible sharpness for macro, beautiful colors and bokeh, but a working distance is little close almost at the end of the hood. Small and light and has good build quality.

See in more detail at:

May 29, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
noncho

Registered: Dec 23, 2012
Location: Bulgaria
Review Date: Dec 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality, color, contrast, compact size.
Cons:

Amazing little lens, maybe the best EF-S in terms of image quality.
Very useful for macro, nature, landscapes, concerts, portraits...

I like to shoot hand held and with 60mm is easier than with 100(or longer) macro. Also you have larger DOF, better for close macro.

This lens now is my standard for image quality.

Here are some pictures with it:

Dec 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add noncho to your Buddy List
Gunzorro

Registered: Aug 27, 2010
Review Date: Sep 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: An absolute gem! Amazing IQ -- super sharp. Magnification slightly beyond 1:1! Possibly the very best APS-C lens Canon makes with regard to IQ.
Cons:

I sold this after buying the 100L IS for my full frame gear -- this was redundant at the equivalent of 96mm, without IS. But if I hadn't bought the 100L, I would have keep this lens. I miss it, but wouldn't use it enough.

I think this lens has the best IQ of any Canon APS-C lens.

Sep 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gunzorro to your Buddy List
Fred Meebley

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Review Date: Jul 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great optics, accurate auto focus, discreet,
Cons:
none given the small size and moderate price

My favorite lens for portrait photography and around the house snapshots. It is small and black and doesn't draw attention which makes for easy candid shots. It takes sharp photos which helps make photos pop. The auto focus is accurate and plenty fast for me. I bought it instead of a 50mm and sometimes wish it had a bigger aperture. I don't mind using high ISO or flash in low light as a trade-off for awesome optical performance.

Jul 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Meebley to your Buddy List
Hank Endzelis

Registered: Dec 17, 2007
Review Date: Apr 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, and fast, .........did I mention sharp?
Cons:
None, other than IS would be nice

With my 7D this little lens is the sharpest I've ever owned, compared to the 50f/1.4, 85f/1.8 and both versions of the 100f/2.8 macro. Although not an L, I was also impressed with it's build.

Apr 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hank Endzelis to your Buddy List
packpe89

Registered: Mar 5, 2004
Review Date: May 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, Sharp, Good AF
Cons:
EF-S mount

I like to pair this with a Sigma 30/1.4 for a great small travel & portrait combo. Very Sharp and versital. Great for macro (obviously) as well as head and shoulder portraits.

May 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add packpe89 to your Buddy List
aero_ub

Registered: Aug 18, 2009
Review Date: May 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, fast, super sharp, great for portraits on crop frames, price!
Cons:
NONE! Worth every penny!

I now have a 5D Mark II and several L lenses and the image quality on this lens is as good or better than any of my L glass! It's that simple, awesome lens for the money and worth twice what it costs after buy several L lenses now. I used this lens when I had a 450D and wish I could use it on my 5D II!

Couple SAMPLES: click 'all sizes' above pics to see larger versions

May 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aero_ub to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Impressive sharpness, very good AF, well built
Cons:

I bought this lens today. Usually I wait one or two months before posting a review about a lens. But this one conquered me very quickly : pictures are dam sharp, so sharp. I must say I just recently got a Canon 7D and have been using it with other lenses such as EFS 17-55 or EF 70-200 IS 2.8. Results are OK with the gear, but I wanted another sharp one. So I read a lens review by "Chasseur d'images" and Canon's 60mm macro was strongly recommended. Now I understand why.

Dec 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
Sobax

Registered: Mar 11, 2004
Review Date: Nov 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing lens, super sharp, great contrast, great price.For macro and portraits super lens!
Cons:
EF-S not EF

If you like to take a look , how amazing this lens is....300 macro pics taken with that lens in my macro gallery:

Thank you.

Nov 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sobax to your Buddy List
MacHeadCase

Registered: May 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as can be, colors look great, no chromatic aberration I can see, fast auto focus.
Cons:
None I can think of.

This is my true first "serious" lens I bought myself a couple of months ago and am I pleased to bits with my purchase.

The build quality is surprising at this price. Auto-focus is fast and oh so quiet. It makes ultra sharp snapshots.

I would absolutely recommend this lens to anyone wanting a good macro lens. It can also help as an all-around lens, IMO.

In my limited experience, I would say it is close to an "L" series lens when I look at the results.

For anyone wanting to view sample photos taken with this lens, here you go:

Sep 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MacHeadCase to your Buddy List
platypus

Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp! Small and light, great wide open, internal focus, handy focal length on crop body.
Cons:
No negatives. OK, wider aperture would be nice

Wow- I've seen the light. The only prime I had used for years was the EF 50mm Mk1 which had a lovely sweet spot at middle apertures. This baby is so sharp wide open I think it out-resolves the sensor on my 40D. As another reviewer has noted, it's almost too sharp for portraiture. Haven't had the chance to take many macro shots yet, can't find my tripod Sad
Close-ups taken so far show it's great wide open near focus too.
This has to be one of Canon's finest. Recommended.

Aug 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add platypus to your Buddy List
JRKO

Registered: Jan 12, 2009
Review Date: Aug 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very small - becomes a 96mm f2.8 on a crop frame - fast - great bokeh - super sharp
Cons:
not for FF bodies

I really miss mine - I had it with a 350D and used it for portraits as well as standard macro work. Now I'm FF I had to choose another macro lens....

The fast aperture allows for great selective focus by way of depth of field and the amount of detail it can retrieve is stunning. A great way into the world of macro photography....

The flower was taken from a tripod and shows how shallow the DOF is. The extremities of the petals are out of focus but the centre of the flower is sharp!

This fly was taken at 1/1600 handheld using a quick burst to try to get the shot before if buzzed off!

Buy it - enjoy it - keep it

Aug 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JRKO to your Buddy List
bradc

Registered: Aug 10, 2009
Review Date: Aug 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, image quality, USM focus
Cons:
EF-S only, subject distance

It is hard to complain about this lens, it delivers sharp shots and doubles as a good portrait focal length with nice blur and a wider aperture. Compared to the 50mm Macro it is no contest (being USM and modern construction) unless you have a full frame camera.

I use it a lot for product / stock photography and it works great for that purpose, and the USM focusing can usually keep up with moving kids. That said the focusing doesn't feel as fast as non macro lenses with USM that I've used.

The only big negative is if you wanted to use this for outdoor or insect type macro photography (non still life). It just requires you get too close to the subject. I got this Macro out of Canon's lineup for the opposite reason - I want to not be so far away for what I do and 100mm or 180mm is too long for a portrait lens for me on a crop body. The 60mm is nice and small, lightweight, but feels well built.

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bradc to your Buddy List
robbrowett

Registered: Feb 22, 2008
Review Date: May 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent build quality, sharp, vivid images. Much cheeper than Ef-100 macro.
Cons:
Slow autofocus but then again it is a macro lens! Only EF-S mount.

I have had this lens for a while but only really started using it with anger lately. It's wonderfully sharp. Build quality is excellent and the lens is fairly heavy. Quality feels solid, much better than other lenses I have such as EF-50mm f1.8.

Takes good portraits as the DOF is excellent.

I've used it successfully with a variety of extension tubes and the AF worked consistently with them all.

I find the autofocus is a little slow and the lens can hunt around a bit when trying to focus on small objects but I usually use MF mode when shooting macro anyway.

I've posted a couple of shots to show the quality and will add more soon. All I need now is a ring flash!

Look under the Macro section.

May 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add robbrowett to your Buddy List
stephenWsmith

Registered: Oct 3, 2007
Review Date: Apr 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast focus, small, light, amazing.
Cons:

Great lens not only for macro.
fast, light, sharp, quick, fast focus

all in all its a great lens, perfect for crop bodies.

Apr 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stephenWsmith to your Buddy List
mckenzy

Registered: Mar 19, 2006
Review Date: Mar 3, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: lightweight. good focal length for crop bodies
Cons:
not as sharp as EF100mm. colours not as contrasty as EF100mm

After selling off the EF100mm f/2.8 macro which was too heavy to handhold for macro shots, i replaced it with this.

shot this side by side with a Leitz 60mm f/2.8

Positives:
its light, you can handhold macro shots. okay for portraits but not great. AF is fast enough even though its a macro. bokeh is nice

Negatives:
EF-S
Colours quite muted.
abit short for a macro unless you just take still life
not sharp wide open unlike the EF100mm

given a choice i would get the EF100mm again if i was just focussing on macro...

Mar 3, 2009