Nikon D2Xs

37 78521 Dec 12, 2010
d2x

12.4 Effective Megapixels: High Resolution 12.4 Effective Megapixel CMOS DX Sensor with fast 4-channel output for 4,288 x 2,848-pixel images.

Exposure Control: Programmed Auto with Flexible Program [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A], Manual [M]; Exposure compensated in ?5.0 EV range in 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV steps; Auto Exposure bracketing; Number of shots: 2 to 9 frames Compensation steps: 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1 EV steps; Continuous shooting mode: Provides an amazing 5 frames per second continuous shooting at full resolution, for 21 JPEG or 15 NEF images. Wireless: WT-2A Wi-Fi transmitter (optional) Wireless connectivity using 802.11g technology is possible through this accessory with full remote camera control using new Nikon Capture 4.2 software for unparalleled creative remote and unattended photography; Top shutter speed: 1/8,000 sec.

Improved 3D Color Matrix Metering II with more refined exposure evaluation algorithms and larger database for difficult-to-meter scenes. TTL full-aperture exposure metering system: 1) D-/G-type Nikkor lenses support 3D-Color Matrix Metering II using the 1,005-pixel RGB sensor while other AF Nikkor lenses with built-in CPUs support Matrix Metering (Non-CPU lenses require manual input of lens data); 2) Center-Weighted Metering (75% of the meter's sensitivity concentrated on the 8mm dia. circle) given to 6,10 or 13mm dia. circle in center of frame, or weighting based on average of entire frame; 3) Spot Metering (3mm dia. circle, approx. 2% of entire frame); Metering position can be linked to the focus area when using Nikkor lenses with built-in CPU.

Autofocus: Multi-CAM 2000 Autofocus system provides 11-area autofocus system with group dynamic AF, close-subject priority dynamic AF, close subject in a group priority dynamic AF and Lock-On(TM) for various methods of following the fastest action.

Memory Buffer: 17 Uncompressed NEF (RAW) and 22 Fine JPGs (LARGE)

Flash: Nikon Creative Lighting System support for Nikon Speedlights SB-800, SB-600 for full i-TTL flash control with Nikon Advanced Wireless Lighting, color control, FP High-Speed Sync, Modeling flash and more!

In the Box -- Supplied Accessories: Type-B Focusing Screen, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4, Quick Charger MH-21, Body Cap, Camera Strap AN-D2X, Audio Video Cable EG-D2, USB Cable UC-E4, LCD Monitor Cover BM-3, Battery Chamber Cover BL-1, PictureProject software CD-ROM; Supplied accessories may differ by country or region.

Compatible Lenses: AF Nikkor (including AF-S, DX, VR and D-/G-type): All functions possible; D-type Manual-Focus Nikkor: All functions except autofocus and some exposure modes available; AF Nikkor other than D-/G-type: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering II and 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash possible; AI-P Nikkor: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash and AF possible; Non-CPU AI Nikkor: Usable in [A] or [M] mode with Matrix-Metering, Center-Weighted and Spot metering available. Indication of aperture number after user inputs the aperture f/stop and focal length f=mm by multi-selector operation. Electronic Rangefinder usable with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.

John Everette

Registered: Apr 13, 2010
Review Date: Dec 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding color, excellent resolution, awesome picture quality at lower ISO's (100-400), acceptable picture quality at higher ISO's (600-1600). built to last, and still a great tool for a photographer even in 2010.
Cons:
None if you know what you're buying

This is the best camera that I have ever owned. I have used Canon 1 series (which I still love), and most recently the D300s. Yet, I prefer the D2X over them. The auto focus system on the D2X (11 Points) works for me. I don't notice any difference in it compared to the D300s' 54 point system or the Canon's 45 point system--maybe I would with the D3--may next camera. I was concerned about the noise that the D2X would produce, but it's much better that I tought it would be. I can shoot ISO 1600 without much concern. The noise is much like film grain. This is probably the best bargain on the used market. I am totally pleased with my D2X! It was a still at the price I paid ($795 mint condition with low clicks).

Dec 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add John Everette to your Buddy List
dalegaspi

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Jan 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,670.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional body craftsmanship, accurate colors, superb metering, great handling, dead-accurate AF.
Cons:
AWB system design is flawed. LCD display is awful by today's standards.

I have been shooting with the D200 for almost three years and I was only able to acquire a (used) D2x relatively cheap because of the arrival of the newer D3 model which somehow made most of the D2x owners allergic to their perfectly useable camera. Not that I'm complaining, though.

As far as handling goes, I knew that the D2x blows away the D200 before I even got it (I used to own an F5); while most users find the weight a deterrent, I--on the other hand--find this as a welcome advantage: it actually makes heavy lenses like the 70-200VR easier to handle, thus getting more keepers.

Regarding color reproduction, I can positively say that the D2x can produce colors more accurately than the D200; The D200 tends to bias colors to magenta. However, the D2x's Auto White Balance system is severly flawed for me to say that its color reproduction is otherwise perfect. Unlike the D200 where AWB is calculated TTL, the D2x also uses an external AWB sensor that sits close to the hot shoe...The system seemed infallible, until you get in the situation where you get mixed lighting and/or the light temperature hitting external sensor is different than that of the subject (e.g., the camera is in the shade while the subject is in full sun)...which happens in A LOT of situations. I really wish that there's an option to TURN OFF the external AWB sensor via a menu. Nikon probably learned that this was a stupid design all along, hence the sensor being absent in the D3.

Noise is pretty much absent up to ISO 400. There is little noise up to 800, and it goes really downhill quickly from there. Coming from the camera film era not too long ago, I can't really complain about what the D2x gives me. A lot of people are hung up on having no noise on high ISO when during the film era, ISO 400 in slide film is already "high speed."

Comparing the AF between the D2x and the D200: while there might be an imperceptible difference between the two in terms of AF speed, the former trounces the latter in terms of AF ACCURACY. Part of the reason is that D200 only has ONE cross-type sensor which makes the rest of its sensors except in exceptional light. The D2x, on the other hand, has NINE cross-type sensors...so regardless of how the camera is oriented, it can detect contrast vertically and horizontally.

If there's one other negative aspect I can point out with the D2x, it would be its LCD display. The angle of view, refresh rate, and the color accuracy is awful compared to the D200.

Despite the flaws (mainly the AWB and the LCD), I simply cannot fault the D2x and until I can afford to buy a (used) D3, I think the D2x will suit me fine.

Jan 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dalegaspi to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, accurate colors out of camera, jpg is good enough with wide DR for weddings. Crop mode is great when I shoot sports. 300 2.8 becomes 600 2.8
Cons:
too much noise at 1600 and 3200. but you'll have that. heavy but what do you expect. its a pro body.

I got this used to hold me over until the D3 and D300 came out. I paired this to my already loved and main camera the Fuji S5. Once I used the D2x, I stopped using the S5 and want to get another and sell my S5 cameras.

I would recommend this camera to anyone and think this is one of the best cameras I have ever used.

get one.

I shot a a wedding and 2 esessions with it this past weekend and it was instant love.

Oct 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
fujifilmnut

Registered: Feb 7, 2004
Review Date: Apr 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent color, extremely fast and accurate focus, best resolution in its class, great battery life, logical and easy to use controls, balanced in your hands, consistent results.
Cons:

Recently we bought a Fuji S5 and after 2 months of testing and comparision shots, traded it on another new D2X. There is no comparision in color and consistency - the D2X is the camera to have.

Apr 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fujifilmnut to your Buddy List
OliverAndrews

Registered: Dec 14, 2006
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Rubber weatherproofing, heavyduty body, shutter speed, low iso, fast AF (especialy in lowlight)
Cons:
LCD Screen greenish tint when playing back photos, noise at higher ISOs.

Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add OliverAndrews to your Buddy List
James Markus

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I have had my D2X for a year now. Compared to my D1X it is vastly improved. It really is medium film format quality in a digital package. Auto WB is really quite good, and all the shooting modes, AF modes, and metering modes work excellent. The ergonomics are amazing. Build quality is execeptional.
Cons:
If I had to nitpick it would be for even better noise reduction in high ISO shots, and an even quieter shutter.

Sep 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Markus to your Buddy List
sousflai

Registered: Jun 28, 2006
Review Date: Aug 23, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: good build quality, dx lenses are great
Cons:
very high grain in mid/high iso and unrealistic light balance in low light photography. Like most Nikon products any of your mistakes (and sometimes the cameras) show too obviously. Wish I'd gone canon!

I shoot alot of low light for weddings against a partner who uses a canon 5d. Unfortunatly I have to whip the flash out when the light dips whilst my canon buddy can keep shooting with available light and even rubs my nose in it with an f4 zoom at ISO1600, his pictures are still noise free! I'm not complaining about the D2X in regards to cameras as a whole but the grass sure is looking greener

Aug 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sousflai to your Buddy List
oriwo

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Aug 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Perfect handling, fast, 12 MP resolution is great, high image quality and low noise up to ISO 400. Perfect combination with AF-S 4/12-24mm DX, AF-S 2,8/17-55 DX and AF-S 2,8/70-200 mm (below f4,5 to soft!)
Cons:
No dust protection like Olympus E-1. Lens program is missing some f4 DX lenses like AF-S 4/50-200mm DX, AF-S 4/70-300 DX or AF-S 4/20-100mm DX

After F-90X and F100 this is my best Nikon. My 95% camera. I'm only missing a dust protection like this in my old Olympus E-1. Also the lens program of Nikon is not homogeneous for DX form factor. Today there are to much film based lenses and to less DX lenses with f4. If you want to get best result you have to buy f2,8 zoom lenses. I'm missing some Zooms as mentioned above.

Aug 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oriwo to your Buddy List
pixj

Registered: Jan 29, 2005
Review Date: Apr 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Flexibility, absolute resolution, color and image qaulity. Did I mention flexibility?
Cons:
With 80-200 attached, I have to mount it backwards on my bogen geared head. Lost my ten-pin cover the second I got it.

Get this machine, I shoot everything with it. Weddings, concerts, editorial, landscape and architecture, portraits, product, aerial, you name it.

Develop your technique, brothers and sisters, as this one will let you know when you try to slide by.

Apr 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pixj to your Buddy List
dale keith

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Apr 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I purchased this camera as an upgrade from my D100. I am not a a pro or commercial photographer. I have spent additional time using the D2X and believe my technique and photos have improved. As a hobbiest the camera is FANTASTIC. Relative to the cost and the wife, it was less expensive the a new bass boat. I have had no problems with the camera and use it with my 200-400 and 70-200 almost all the time. Recently, I shot some people using their jet skis and the action shots were great. As a casual user I have found the unit to be more than sufficient.
Cons:
Nikon rebate of $500 came out just after I purchased. Newest Nikon software should be included. Nikon is very slooow to update long lenses to VR technology. Canon is a bit more market responsive on this aspect. Local dealers do not know much about the functions of the camera relative to a critique of a photo.

I am very pleased with the build and function of the D2X. I am a hobbiest and enjoy the feel and output of the D2X. For my purposes, relaxaion and the capture of nature, the D2X and associated lenses are GREAT pieces of equipment. I have had no problems with my D2X. It is actually way more than I needed but is just so enjoyable to use.

Apr 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dale keith to your Buddy List
Grognard

Registered: Jun 11, 2005
Review Date: Apr 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Heavy, well made, and full of features
Cons:
Heavy, steep learning curve

Wow! What a change from my D70 to this beast. Its heavy, and has a steep learning curve, but I am exceptionally satisfied, even though I might end up getting a divorce due to the money I spent on this camera. :D Well worth every penny I spent.

Apr 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Grognard to your Buddy List
Ronald Stamps

Registered: Aug 1, 2003
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I did use a Canon 1DS and the Markll. The D2X is very close to perfect. Use it for portaits, use it for sports. The color is very accurate,ergonomics fantastic, speed when needed. Coming from using slide film for 25 years, I always hoped a digital camera would someday come close to the look of Kodachrome and Velvia. This camera comes very close ! The 17-35 AFS on this camera is hands down the best wide angle fle on the market. The 400mm 2.8 on a Canon becomes a 600 2.8 on the D2X, or 200 f/2 becomes a 300 f/2. Add that I can use my older manual prime lenses..what else could one ask for ? Try 50mm 1.2 ais on this camera too.
Cons:
No faults.

I did use a Canon 1DS and the Markll. (very nice cameras)
The D2X is very close to perfect.
Use it for portaits, use it for sports.
The color is very accurate,ergonomics fantastic, speed when needed.

Feb 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ronald Stamps to your Buddy List
ladomat2001

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 26, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: ***
Cons:
noise in high iso

actually the camera is useless for fashion or beauty over 200 ISO..
thats not really cool. People are actually comparing the d2x with 1dsmk II all the time. Well i sold the d2x and bought the 1dsmkII and i must say that the files of the canon look more "film" like and have the same look as my scanned 645 mamiya afd slides even better as there is no ugly grain. Nikon has more DOF and because of that the picture look more like digicam pics. I would not say D2X is not good, it's very good even, but not for all areas of photography. Also upsizing the files is easear with the canon as with D2X.
Thats why i give the camera 9 out of 10.

Dec 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ladomat2001 to your Buddy List
ladomat2001

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very well built, very intuitive controls, image quality, speed.
Cons:
LCD is not exact in reproducing color and exposition. Dynamic range could be better. Crop sensor.

I sold my D2X. It's a great camera for general use, for sports photographers and for news paper work. For Fashion and Portraits it's not the best. The dynamic range is good, but could be higher,
especially in highlight - you have to control the exposure, as the detail in overwxposed areas is often lost (maybe the result of the samll sensor?). The LCD Screen is really big and nice, but it shows not the correct colors and exposition - you will notice this, as soon as you open the raw files in nikon capture. Nikon Capture is slow and you have to pay four the full version (sorry but when you invest 6000 dollars in the kamera, the software shouldbe free!).
So now i switched to the dark side...

Dec 26, 2005
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Dec 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Built quality, ergonomics, speed, MP count, HSC
Cons:
ISO noise at 400 and above, AF points layout, lack of 2-second mirror lockup, large size AF points/areas

I switched from Canon to Nikon about 2 months ago. The reason for the switch was b/c of the 200-400 VR lens. When it came time to decide on the body, I didn't hesistate to pickup the D2X. I got spoiled by the 1DII so I want the same "pro level" camera from Nikon. After 6 weeks of heavy usage (7k clicks) here's my impression of this camera compared to the Canon equivalent (IMO) 1DII.

The D2X feels right in my hand. It balances well with the 200-400 and the 300 2.8 AFS. It's a little bit lighter thanks to the smaller sized battery. The grips are easier to grab and handle thanks to the rubberized outershell and the indentations.

The buttons and control layouts are more intuitive than the 1DII. The AF selection pad is a big bonus and therefore, it allows quicker AF point selection.

HSC factor is an excellent feature. Some folks don't think much about it but for me, it's very innovative for Nikon to put it in the D2X. Effectively, I get almost twice the reach and at almost the same resolution comparing to the 1DII. In 35mm term, with the 200-400 lens, I get a zoom coverage of 350-800mm! This works well with both stationary subjects and birds in flight for me.

Here's what I don't like about this camera. First and foremost, ISO noise at 400 and above. When I was using the 1DII, I constantly used ISO 500-640. Sometimes, I even pushed it to 1000 w/o any reservation. Now with the D2X, I always find myself disappointed with shots at ISO 400 or above. For a camera of this caliber, Nikon needs to do a better job.

Second, I find that each of the 11 AF areas is just too big. They need to be smaller and better refined. It's sometime difficult to get the eye on the bird to be razor sharp, especially when the bird is far away.

Third, I wish there are more AF areas/points and that those points would be closer. The large spaces between the 11 points make it difficult and longer to compose a shot, especially with birds.

Fourth, I don't like the mirror lockup feature on the D2X. It doesn't have the 2-second release delay to use in combination with the mirror lockup. This forces me to buy the cable remote release. Price for the cable is not a big deal but when in a pinch, the lack of this feature can be annoying.

Overall, this is a great camera. But I didn't switch b/c of the D2X. I switched b/c of the 200-400 VR. If Nikon can solve the high ISO noise, that alone would make this a perfect DSLR. The other 3 complaints are minor from my part.

Dec 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
roman.johnston

Registered: Jan 24, 2004
Review Date: Nov 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and all the systems are usually spot on. Metering isnt easily fooled, WB is often perfect in auto mode. And the detail in the files works is exactly what I was looking for (I shoot landscape photography)
Cons:
None that I can say after having it a few months.

Thinking of using it for landscape? Here is my first outing at Yosemite with the camera:

....worth every penny....love the size and the confidence inspiring build.

This camera gets out of your way and lets you get into your groove.

This also provides backup for my D2H at weddings, in HSC mode.

If your semi-pro....or pro....and it fits what you need....take the plunge.

Roman

Nov 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add roman.johnston to your Buddy List

Nikon D2Xs