394 1203918 Apr 18, 2017

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25

braindeadmac

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Posts: 2036
Review Date: May 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $309.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good image quality, relatively small and lightweight for an EF lens. Great aperture and focal length on 10D, other cameras with 1.6x factor.
Cons:
Mediocre build and mechanical quality, especially when compared to L lenses. Manual focusing is not smooth and lens has short throw, making manual focusing a bit difficult.

I bought this lens to have a fast portrait lens with my 10D; it is my only non-L lenses. I'm a bit disappointed in the "feel" of the lens, and manual focus is not smooth due to the motor. However, image quality is pretty good with nice contrast and bokeh even wide open. It is a bit soft in the corners wide open, especially on a film camera, but that improves quickly by f2.8. It is certainly comparable to the Nikkor lens of the same speed and focal length. This may not be a lens I keep for long, although that was my expectation before buying it.

May 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add braindeadmac to your Buddy List
Amit

Registered: Jan 1, 2003
Review Date: Apr 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: light, easy to carry, sharp, excellent for low light and indoor photography and good DOF
Cons:

I use this lens a LOT. Very sturdy, and easy to carry, and I have dropped it 2 times already Smile, it works like a song and is perfect for indoor and/or night/low light photography.

Apr 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Amit to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Speed, price.
Cons:

Not the sharpest lens in my stable, but one of the fastest, and it still delivers VERY good images. Good to use when I want a one-lens simple snapshot outfit. In contrast to other users, I find the slight edge "softness" at f1.4 on my FF and 1.3x crop camera a sometimes asset -- especially if you use it to compositional advantage -- a "look" I like. But I agree it performs better from f2 - up.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List
deevee

Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp inexpensive
Cons:
not as solid as L build

a wonderful lens for d60 and 10D ...excellent for portraits and low light...relatively cheap for a non L...i sold it in favor of the 50mm f2.5 for i need the macro capability too...they're both sharp but the f1.4 has better usm technology...i do miss the f1.4 and f2.0 sometimes especially in absence of flash...highly recommended to d60/10D users.
;-)

Mar 31, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add deevee to your Buddy List
MikeP

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness Price
Cons:
Build Quality is way better than 50/1.8 but could still be better

I use this lens with a D60 and I am amazed by the sharpness and the detail that it captures (especially at this price).

I find this lens of limited use wide open - at F1.4 it is a little soft, combined with a VERY short DOF. However, at F2.8 it starts to shine and at F4.0 it is by far the sharpest lens I have ever used.

Because of the detail, I use this lens whenever I can, forgoing the convenience of a zoom.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MikeP to your Buddy List
Harold St

Registered: Sep 16, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent Image Quality, Low Cost, Large Aperature, Light Weight
Cons:
None (for a consumer grade lens)

I used this lens on the D60. Ninety percent of my "keepers" have either been taken with this lens or the 135mm/f2. Images are very sharp at f2.0 or higher.

The build quality is average and the autofocus is a little sluggish, especially in low light.

I would highly recommend this lens to anyone with looking for superb image quality at a reasonable price.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Harold St to your Buddy List
stan_g

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Very sharp, light, good portrait length on 1.6 factor body
Cons:
Slow AF in low light

Needed fast AF/low light lens. Not bad on a 1D but poor on D30/D60. Wish I still had it as few lenses are sharp enough to bring out the resolution abilities of the D60/10D.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stan_g to your Buddy List
lexvo

Registered: Sep 13, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, compact
Cons:

I bought this lens for available light photography. With a maximum aperture of f/1.4 it shines of course, giving me acceptable shutter speeds in low light.

Now that I have it, I also like it very much for street/scene shooting. It is compact and makes the camera/lens combination very handable. I spend a day in Antwerpen (Belgium) with only this lens and loved it.

According to some tests the 50/1.4 is optically as good or even better than the (now discontinued) 50/1.0.

You don't have to stop this lens very much down to become very sharp pictures, I've read a test which outcomes were:

f/1.4: 53 lp/mm
f/2.0: 69 lp/mm
f/2.8: 80 lp/mm
f/4.0 up to f/11: around 90 lp/mm
f/16: 80 lp/mm

So, I'd say stopping down to f/2.8 will give you already great results.

It may be a little soft at f/1.4, but I don't care about that much because I photograph mostly people at this aperture (low light) and they appreciate it when their faces aren't tack sharp, revealing every little 'fault'...

Summary: I love this lens.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lexvo to your Buddy List
Ben Horne

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Light, Fast, Cheap
Cons:
Plastic Build Quality

I really like this lens because it is light, fast, small, and sharp. I use this lens as my primary "normal" lens on the 1D. I don't usually shoot with it wide open, but I often shoot at f/2.0 and achieve very sharp results. My only complaint about it is the non-L plastic build quality. If you shake the lens, you can feel/hear that the joints are rather loose compared to the rock solid L series lenses. For only 299 though, I would consider the 50mm f/1.4 to be a must-have lens.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Ben Horne to your Buddy List
rebel300

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: Mar 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Inexpensive sharp lens
Cons:
slow focus

I'd rate this lens at 3.8 on a 5 scale. It's exceptional on a 1.6 magnification camera, but just good on a 1.3 like the 1D.
LM

Mar 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add rebel300 to your Buddy List

394 1203918 Apr 18, 2017