394 1196074 Feb 15, 2017

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46°
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

sgtpinback

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Nov 29, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Sharp. Wide aperture. Full-time MF.
Cons:
AF hit-or-miss. Manufacturing tolerances quite high; no quality control apparent. Lens hood not included.

The first one I bought couldn't take an in-focus shot, even after going back to Canon twice, along with the camera. The replacement I have usually manages to hit the right focus distance, but there's still the odd random OOF shot every now and then.

Anyone who complains about "softness" at 1.4 should do focus tests (with the test setup at varying distances to the camera, since that can make a difference too). In my experience it's plenty sharp if it hits focus.

Nov 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sgtpinback to your Buddy List
EWPurdy

Registered: May 27, 2003
Review Date: Nov 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp when stopped down a bit, nice contrast, dreamy bokeh, light.
Cons:
Very prone to CA wide open, prone to causing sensor bloom on blown highlights

This is a very nice lens if you can learn its limitations and how to work around them. Indoors or under soft light this lens produces fantastic results. The lens has some CA when wide open in any scene with a fair amount of contrast. At 1.4, all out of focus highlights in the foreground are purple fringed and out of focus highlights in the background have green fringes. Stopped down to about 2.0-2.8 the CA dissappears and the lens becomes very sharp. Ultimately I decided to return the lens since my 50mm/2.5 macro is just as sharp, and has no CA issues - just buzzy AF.

See these links for sample photos taken at f/1.8 showing the CA:

Nov 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EWPurdy to your Buddy List
kufi

Registered: Nov 22, 2005
Review Date: Nov 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, fast, low light master
Cons:
Wish it was L quality build

This is a fabulous lens, sharp, nice bokeh, good colors. Have not used the 50 1.8 so can not comment on comparison. On the 20D it is the lens I go to for indoor family, general street and other low light shots at this focal length. Put it in your bag and you will be surprised how often you choose it. Forces you to be much more creative than a zoom.

Nov 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kufi to your Buddy List
Orangelo

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Nov 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp at f/2, impressive from f/2.8 onwards. Excellent portrait lens on a 1.6x sensor. Moderate price. Looks terrific on any camera ;)
Cons:
Not usable at f/1.4, as it becomes too soft and prone to flares / blown-out highlights

I bought this lens knowing literally nothing about SRL photography. I had just bought the Rebel XT/350D kit and thought I needed a new lense since everyone else commented that the EF18-55II was doing a diservice to the camera. This lens was affordable, had a 4.4 MTF grade and, hey! it was the reference lens used to test even the very best cameras in some famous websites! So I could not go wrong with this, right? well, right and wrong...

First thing you should know about this lens is that it's an interiors / available light / night shooting piece of kit. In high light conditions, this lens is more trouble than it is worth. Blown-out highlights are the name of the game. Even under low light conditions you have to be careful with the apperture. I remember some shots I took in the Christ Church Cathedral (Oxford). There were some beautiful white roses in one of the chapels. When I reviewed the shots at home I was horrified. God, those white roses literraly glowed in the dark! The lens is THAT light-sensitive wide open.

And then the DOF... If you are going to buy a super-fast lens first make sure you know how to focus, or at least know what you want in focus. Wide open, a couple of cms are all that it takes to blur things out. I have some portraits in which you can really tell that the nose is focused, while the cheeks are not!

The 50mm focal length becomes 80mm on a 1.6x sensor, making it almost useless for architectural photography, unless you intend to travel to Paris or some other "open-plan" city. Forget places like Lisbon.

So, in sum, I was very disappointed, until I started to understand what I was doing wrong, and started to correct all the problems I had encountered.

This lens has taught me some photography and for that alone it is my current favourite. An excellent portrait lens if you can control the DOF, terrific bokeh if you are a fan of that. And finally, the price. No matter how many times you get it wrong. This lens will eventually give you 1, 2, 10 or 100 wonderful pictures that will alone justify the price you paid for it.

Nov 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Orangelo to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from 2.8, 1.4 useable if focus is dead on, Much better build than 50 1.8MKII, USM, Size/weight, nice bokeh
Cons:
Foucs ring not silky smooth

The 50 1.4 is a great "normal" lens for any canon shooter. Its one of my favorite photographic tools.

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
chopsam

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Nov 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, sharp, light, nice bokeh, nice color
Cons:
not much..

Got this second-hand with still 1 year waranty. I needed a fast indoor potrait lens for my kids, so this lens fit the bill.

The fast apperture allow me to shoot at f2.0, and even 1.8 & 1.4 if I really need to go to that. Sharpness is good, color is good, eventhough it's not on par with my 200 f2.8L, it's good enough for me, in general on par or slightly better then Tamron 28-75 f2.8 that I have.

Autofocus is not as fast as the L, but better then Tamron. Build quality is good enough for me. I owned the 50mm 1.8 before, so this definitely feel more solid then the 1.8.

Focal length is actually very suitable for indoor potrait with the 1.6x factor.

Nov 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chopsam to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: So sharp even at 1.4 that I forget isnīt "L" glass
Cons:
Is not "L" built quality

Again all it matters is the quality of the prints the client pays, this lens just do it.

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
terminator

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $265.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, contrast, f/1.4, USM, build quality
Cons:
expensive (before triple rebate), focus hunts in low light

I got this lens to replace the 50mm f/1.8 II. It is much sharper than 50mm f/1.8 II at f/1.8 and f/2.8! Contrast looks better than 50mm f/1.8 II as well. USM focus is fast - though not as fast as ring USM. I like f/1.4 a lot for low light condition. Build quality is good at this price range.

My biggest complain is the price. Even with triple rebate, it is still a little expensive. Hope the price could be $230 - $250. Focus tends to hunt at low light condition.

Nov 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add terminator to your Buddy List
Sol3535

Registered: Jun 19, 2005
Review Date: Nov 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, light, cheap.
Cons:

Very sharp and very fast. Takes wonderful photos. Can focus pretty close to things. Useable at all apertures. This is my favorite lens.

Nov 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sol3535 to your Buddy List
poyorick

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Nov 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $331.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good quality control, sharp, cheap
Cons:
a bit soft under 2

I am sort of new to DSLR and this was my first lens (I have the kit lens for the rebel xt, but don't use it). The biggest reason for me to buy this particular lens was that it was cheap and that the quality control seemed to be pretty good (didn't hear of many complaints). I figured that, as a novice, I would learn what a good lens is supposed to look like with a concensus good lens and then go from there.

I wanted dearly to buy a third party lens that was "a great deal" if you got a good copy, but ultimately I could not trust my judgement on the matter quite yet.

If you are on a tighter budget than myself (I eat ramen daily) you should consider the f/1.8. I see those going for $70-80 (US). I ended up buy a hood and filter for the f/1.4 that cost $70-80. If I had gotten the f/1.8 I likely wouldn't have bothered with the filter or hood.

Another point to consider was that I got this lens as part of the Canon Rebate saving me another $75 on the camera and $30 on the lens. If it wasn't on the rebate list, I would have gotten the f/1.8.

Sorry I couldn't comment more on the optics or low-light capabilities at this time, but I think my opinion at this point would caryy little weight and might even be misleading.

Nov 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add poyorick to your Buddy List
Sala

Registered: Apr 23, 2004
Review Date: Oct 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpest lens I own, good bokeh, accurate AF (on 20D), lightweight
Cons:
slightly flimsy build, no ring USM

This lens is so close to greatness it hurts. It is optically outstanding - useable at F1.4, sharp at F2 and out-of-this-world sharp at F2.8. If Canon added ring USM and internal focussing this lens would be perfect.

Oct 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sala to your Buddy List
nick3d

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb sharpness @ f/2.8 and beyond, pleasing color/contrast, cheapest f/1.4.
Cons:
Cheapo build quality for a $300 lens; Bokeh not too pleasing at distant; Soft @ f/1.4-1.8

Classic optical formula still works brilliantly today.

Oct 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nick3d to your Buddy List
sigbusyff

Registered: Oct 21, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp; very fast; lovely L-like contrast and colours.
Cons:
No ring USM; AF a bit inconsistent in low light. Close focussing distance (0.45m) isn't that good.

Very sharp and very fast. This makes it pretty versatile - very useful with available light indoors, for example.

On the downside, the AF is noisy and slow compared to ring USM types, and can be a little inconsistent in low light (one shot will be back-focussed, the next will be spot on). Be prepared for f/1.4 giving so little depth of field that it's more or less unusable; the lens is quite soft wide open anyway. It quickly sharpens up, though, and by f/2 it's performing very well.

So should you get this rather than the f/1.8? I can't sensibly answer that, as I haven't seen the f/1.8. If it's low light ability you're interested in, it might even be worth considering an L zoom with IS (e.g. the 24-105mm) - I've found my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L pretty much matches this lens in low light, and has better AF.

It's worth shelling out for the hood, too - as well as avoiding flare, it's a nice protection for the lens when fitted backwards.

Oct 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sigbusyff to your Buddy List
dsb012

Registered: Dec 27, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and contrasty, large aperture for handheld in low light. Nice portrait lens when used on APS-C sensors. Overall very consistent from shot to shot.
Cons:
Front of lens extends while focusing. Not Ring USM. Price could be a little more competitve.

My route to this lens was via a 50mm 1.8 MkII. I won't go into the various details of build quality, feature difference as there are many reviews that address these areas.

My 50 1.8 while a nice lens had slight front focus and wasn't nearly as consistent shot to shot with regards to focus accuarcy at most aperatures under f5.6. I was left with either sending it into Canon for calibration or getting the 50 1.4. Many people may question how the 50 1.4 can be worth the extra money for an minimal extra light gathering ability, a slightly better build quality (certainly not L) and better bokeh. What I am finding with this lens is that the focusing is much more accurate than the 1.8. I'm finding that 95% of my pics are dead on with this lens while the 1.8 I would say was at about 70% (I'm being generous). I am also finding that the focusing under poor lighting is slower than the 1.8 which most would say is strange since it's USM. I think this is due to the fact that it is being more accurate. I know when this lens focus locks the focus is accurate and my percentage of "keepers" has gone up considerably. To me that is worth much more than the $200+ price difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dsb012 to your Buddy List
richardho11

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast 1.4 aperture, Light Weight, Tack Sharp at 2.4 and above, USM, Best Bang for the Buck Lens!
Cons:
Front element extends when zooming, "ok" quality because Im used to the "L" lenses, Surprisingly soft at 1.4 and starts getting sharper at 2.0 and tack sharp by 2.4.

This is the best bang for the buck lens in terms of sharpness! Its sharper than my 24-70L f/2.8 lens at f/1.4! Infact, my 24-70 does not catch up until about f/4. Not bad for a $300 lens compared to my $1,200 zoom lens! Otherwise, the build quality is "ok." I was however very surprised of how soft the images were taken at f/1.4! I was dissapointed with this finding. Although, this lens gets sharper by 2.0 and tack sharp by 2.8! Infact, its hard to beat this lens at 2.8 and up! Its EXTREMELY SHARP! Overall Its the best portait lens you can buy for the money. There is no other competition. I would not hessitate to recommend this lens to anyone. I wish I could use this lens at 1.4 because that is why I purchased a fast lens in the first place,but its quite soft. But this could also be due to the fact that the Depth of Field at 1.4 is so shallow that it blurs everything out unless you nail the focus.

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richardho11 to your Buddy List
maximage

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp and contrasty at most apertures, large aperture for handheld in low light. Good bokeh when used as a portrait lens on APS-C bodies. Reasonably fast AF. Full time manual override despide its micro-USM AF mechanism.
Cons:
Build quality isn't confidence inspiring. Loose yet bumpy focus ring. Got dust inside after short use. Doesn't come with a hood. Wish they make a 50/1.2L with IS and weather seal.

A great all around lens. Compact and light weight. Focuses quite fast with FTM. On a APS-C sensor body it works very well as a portrait lens. Bokeh is smooth also. Image is very sharp and contrasty at most apertures. A must for any photographer.
Build quality isn't among the gooder, in fact it's all plastic except the mount. Mine's focus ring is very loose. You can hear this rattling noise if you shake it gently. And it's not very smooth either, kind of 'bumpy' when you MF. The price is higher than other 50/1.4 lenses from other brands. Doesn't come with a hood.

Oct 1, 2005