Lowepro CompuTrekker AW

29 68293 Jan 4, 2010
8.3
CompuTrekker

A perfect combination for photo gear and notebook computer, the CompuTrekker AW was designed specifically for digital photographers. Photojournalists and location photographers will find it a great travel companion. The backpack’s reinforced construction, shock-absorbing closed-cell foam padding and tough, water-resistant outer fabric protects contents from moisture and sudden impacts. The patented All Weather Cover™ offers maximum protection from extreme weather conditions, dust and sand. A padded notebook compartment is secured with both zipper and quick-release buckle; while the main camera compartment is fully customizable with adjustable padded dividers. A quick-access hide-away Tripod Mount™, SlipLock™ attachment loops and a number of laminated and zippered organizer pockets provide photographers with fast, easy access to equipment.

Page:  1 · 2

Mark Alexander

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Sep 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $125.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great construction, comfortable when wearing
Cons:
Straps everywhere...

I bought this bag to mostly use to carry camera gear and laptop stuff while flying. It works really well for that. I will be taking it hiking this weekend and I expect it will be good for that.

For me it doesn't replace a standard bag for working while in town or out of a car.

The bag seems well constructed and padded. Now all I have to do is buy more stuff to fill it up!

Sep 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Alexander to your Buddy List
dlselvidge

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Sep 10, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Big, holds a LOT of gear. Straps better than other models
Cons:
Hard to access, Tripod carrying is terrible. If not laid on it's back to open, front flap can open and spill content out onto the ground.

Of all the camera backapacks I've tried or seen, this one's the best.

For me, a back pack just doesn't work. The biggest problem is that to get at anything inside, you have to take it off and lay it down. That's great if you have a table or a nice clean spot of grass and have the time to stop and fiddle around. It's not so great if you're standing in the middle of a muddy field, or shooting in a crowd of people.

If this kind of bag fits with your style of shooting, it's the best backpack out there. Just make sure you can work within its limitations.

Sep 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dlselvidge to your Buddy List
aussiefitzy

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Carries everything that I want. I used to have to carry 3 bags overseas (camera, laptop & trip stuff) and I have everything in one place.
Cons:
Needs somewhere the I can attach my monopod easily that doesn't get in the way. As a side note - I've noticed that I keep more of an eye on the backpack as literally everything in one place and in my mind makes the unit more of an atractive target to thieves.

By far the best accessory I've purchased for my camera outfit. I tried several others from different manufacturers and ended up returning then after the first time I used them.

Sep 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aussiefitzy to your Buddy List
porscheguy

Registered: Sep 3, 2005
Review Date: Sep 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Carries a ton of stuff. Great for travel. Does not feel heavy once on your back. Very well made. Rain cover a great touch.
Cons:
Tripod holding device a mystery. Laptop space cramped and limited.

Holds enough gear for a 2 week trip. Nice to have it all in one place when going through airport security and the like.
A tad cumbersome when being carried or trying to stuff into the overhead with all the straps flopping about, but when it is on your back, it's a dream. Works so well when on that I have actually forgotten it's size and tried to sit in a chair.
Much much better then a shoulder bag (crush your lower vertebrae in a motorcycle accident and you get sensitive to these things).
Have not mastered the tripod attachment and gave up since I rarely take them when we travel overseas anyhow.
Would be nice if the laptop carrier was a bit wider but it does ok.
Over the years I have collected a fair amount of shoulder bags and backpacks. Without a doubt this is be best bag I own.

Sep 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add porscheguy to your Buddy List
divemed06

Registered: Jan 24, 2004
Review Date: Aug 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: LOt'S of space, well built, computer slot fits most laptops, rain cover a plus
Cons:
Heavy when fully loaded (what else would be expected...)

Luged it around on a 3 week trip. Very practical to have all my gear in one bag but HEAVY (especially for hiking!). Perfect carry-on size for the plane; although watch weight restrictions!!

Aug 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add divemed06 to your Buddy List
Kenjibaseball

Registered: Jul 17, 2005
Review Date: Aug 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Easily customizable, small size, multi-compartments work great
Cons:
Zipper can get stuck on outside lining. No fun.

This bag is great. It easily holds my baseball setup:
1 20D body, 1 XT body, 1 70-200 f/2.8 L, 1 300 fixed prime f/2.8 L, with hood, 1.4 extender, 17-135mm USM IS lens, 22mm USM, 1 battery grip, 4 extra batteries, memory cards, cleaning kit, and Manfrotto Monopod. (I just stick it in one of the loops for easy access) You cannot beat the price and it's an unassuming backpack. (Doesn't scream "I have expensive stuff in me!") Also takes a beating. I did get the zipper stuck on the flaps that cover the zipper area. That was a pain, but was able to extract, by snipping the cover area very slightly

Overall a great bag.

Aug 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kenjibaseball to your Buddy List
condyk

Registered: Mar 14, 2005
Review Date: Aug 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, lots mof flexibility and room for the keen amateur or pro shooter. Looks likes lots of non camera bags which is safer. Everything works well. Plenty of spacers and easy ot move around. Tripod can be easily and securely attached. Weather proof cover. Comfortable to wear on a long hike and all the adjustments you're going to need. Plenty of storage for bits and pieces. I can carry my laptop and related stuff too as there is a special pocket in the back. Can be used as a flight carry on.
Cons:
Lots of pockets, zips, straps but you get used to it and there are advantages too. I really am being picky here tho' ;-)

I've been through several bags and this one is perfect.

Aug 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add condyk to your Buddy List
CorruptedSanit

Registered: Jul 5, 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Aug 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $91.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very weather resistant, strong , space for laptop, perfect size
Cons:
straps are not detachable (waist) learning curve on attaching tri/mono pod (no instructions in manual)

Fantastic bag, very strong and optimum quality material. It holds my 20D, Simga 50-500 , 50 f/1.8, 17-40 L, Giottos Rocket Blower, 2 chargers (1 includes car charger), couple of filters, hoods fit perfectly. Came in handy when trekking in Northern Pakistan and it rained in the forest/mountains.

The tripod attachment needs a little bit of practice. You can unbuckle the buckles on the tripod cable, lay the tripod on the bag with the feet in the pouch and then kinda wrap the unbuckled cables around the tri/mono pod and then buckle and pull tight. Same for the top. As I said, this technique just developed after 4 days of use. Here is a tip, the tri/mono pod gets wrapped around a 2 loops (and 2 loops on the top part near handle) when buckled. Unbuckle and the tripod comes free. Very convienient when learned. ill post instructional pictures soon.

Aug 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CorruptedSanit to your Buddy List
btjohnston

Registered: May 20, 2003
Review Date: Aug 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: plenty of space for everything, weather resistant, strong, excellent value for money
Cons:
waist straps aren't removeable.

I have the next one up to this backback, the Photo Trekker AWII.
This is an excellent camera bag and has plenty of space for all my gear including a laptop and it's sundry equipment.

My one negative comment about it is that the side straps aren't removable, which would be fantastic for cabin baggage when flying.

I have found that because there is plenty of room, I'm tempted to put everything in it. On a multi-day hike the bag becomes heavy, but this just teaches me to take what I think I'll need instead of every possible gadget. The tripod holding attachement is useless for me as I have a large manfrotto pod that is simply too big.

The backpack sit's comfortably when loaded and doesn't seem to put strain on my neck or shoulders.

I'd recommend this for anyone needing that little bit of extra room and is planning on hiking all over the country.

Aug 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add btjohnston to your Buddy List
Xavier Rival

Registered: Jul 21, 2004
Review Date: Aug 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very convenient for traveling with laptop and camera (especially in airplanes), A lot of room in a not so big bag, Great build quality, AW design.
Cons:
Tripod loading not convenient at all

Bought 8 months ago.

Perfect fit for my current kit:
- powerbook 15"
- 10D + 17-40 + 70-200 f/2.8 + flash
- AC, batteries, card reader, mouse, ...
- too many books

I envisage to add a wildlife lens (eg, canon 100-400) and it should fit OK (I could even imagine adding even one more small or standard sized lens).

When you consider the bag from outside, it does not look so big, but can become very heavy if loaded full. It works very well as a carry-on luggage in airplanes or trains.

The build quality is great (lifetime warranty on the material), and the AW design (with the protection for rain) is a nice addition.

Only downside, I do not like attaching a tripod to it (not convenient).

Overall, I strongly recommend it.

Aug 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Xavier Rival to your Buddy List
SidewinderX

Registered: Jan 17, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $120.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid, Comfortable Straps, Tripod carrying "flap"
Cons:
Not very easy access to main compartment if you strap all the straps.

I bought this to use as my camera bag, my book bag, and my laptop bag. It works great as all three. When I'm not carrying my camera, I just take the inserts out and put my books in there. I even took it to Italy for 10 days and used it as my camera bag and my main bag for maps and assorted junk I bought.

Works well as a carry-on bag for flights.

My 15.4" laptop (well, the screen is 15.4", Asus Z71v) *barely* fits into the compartment. It is the absolute largest thing that will fit in there, if you have a bigger laptop, look at the AW Plus model.

Aug 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SidewinderX to your Buddy List
gbennett

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Comfortable. Good size for traveling, great to have someplace to put the computer on trips. Good size for my gear, body, flash, 2 lenses, plus all of the extras that are needed.
Cons:
Straps don't stow away too well. Also difficult to carry tripod. Trying several different ways, but haven't figured out how to carry the Bogen so it doesn't flop around.

I really have enjoyed this bag. Enough room without being too big and bulky. Comfortable to wear on my hikes in the local metro parks. Looking forward to taking it along on vacation this summer.

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gbennett to your Buddy List
fourjfarm

Registered: Aug 30, 2002
Review Date: Jan 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well constructed and design works well for me; two bodies; lenses; card reader; batteries; mac titanium; etc. Very durable. Comfortable to carry. Fits on planes with no problems. Year old and I take it everywhere.
Cons:
No good place to "store" waist straps when carrying by top handle...tend to drag on floor.

Have been very pleased with mine. It has served me well while both traveling abroad and camping in US. Rugged. Looks as good today as when I got it a year ago. Total confidence that the cameras and laptop will be protected. Been banged around somewhat on planes, but no problems. No complaints. Highly recommended.

Jan 30, 2005