Lowepro CompuTrekker AW

29 67851 Jan 4, 2010
8.3
CompuTrekker

A perfect combination for photo gear and notebook computer, the CompuTrekker AW was designed specifically for digital photographers. Photojournalists and location photographers will find it a great travel companion. The backpack’s reinforced construction, shock-absorbing closed-cell foam padding and tough, water-resistant outer fabric protects contents from moisture and sudden impacts. The patented All Weather Cover™ offers maximum protection from extreme weather conditions, dust and sand. A padded notebook compartment is secured with both zipper and quick-release buckle; while the main camera compartment is fully customizable with adjustable padded dividers. A quick-access hide-away Tripod Mount™, SlipLock™ attachment loops and a number of laminated and zippered organizer pockets provide photographers with fast, easy access to equipment.

Page:  1 · 2  next

ChrisFWilson

Registered: Sep 28, 2009
Review Date: Jan 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Holds 400 2.8 and gets through security with ease; wheels and backpack option; very reliable - been using it for four years.
Cons:

My only issue is that the case has a large hump in the middle (where the extension for pushing/pulling it around retracts) that can make carrying a Canon 2.8 a pain. I have removed the divider on one side so that the monopod mount flattens out more efficiently - but this has meant having to make sure the gear that used to be protected by the divider now gets protected by either padded camera straps or other dividers (depending on my mood). All in all, it's an effective work around.

As for the positives...you can put the Canon 400 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and two bodies in it comfortably, as well as accessories. It will also hold your computer, but in order to get it into SW Air overheads I have to remove the computer.

It's very sturdy - I've had mine for four seasons of football, traveled up and down the west coast and while it shows some wear and tear, it's still a great piece of luggage. It's also been a godsend to have those backpack straps when we have to hike through a non-paved parking lot. It's comfortable on the back.

I've never used the rain cover and wish I could remove it without having to tear it out - but that's a minor issue.

Jan 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ChrisFWilson to your Buddy List
robinng

Registered: Dec 1, 2003
Review Date: May 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: light weight, prefect size, fit all my gear, rain cover is nice, cabin carry on size, fully customizable,
Cons:
uncomfortable to my back if the laptop is in the compactment. no ventilation design like deuter. no comfortable for long hours carrying....can become hot and sweaty!

prefect pack for travelling/airplane. fit all my gear, include: Nikon D3, D300, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, sb900+sb800 and some accessory too! dont foget my 12inch laptop as well! been using it for 5 years! still good....

regards,
Robin
http:www.robinng.com

May 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add robinng to your Buddy List
Ryan Torres

Registered: Jun 25, 2007
Review Date: Mar 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Great pack, large front pocket for various items, sun screen, mouse & laptop power supply. Comfortable to wear.
Cons:
ZIPPERS!!! They small zippers wore out of me. Lowepro upgraded me under warranty to a higher end pack.

Just watch out for the zippers. I wish I could get this pack back with the larger zippers that come on the their higher end pack because I really liked it.

Mar 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ryan Torres to your Buddy List
dex110

Registered: Nov 21, 2005
Review Date: Dec 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great pack, has a really solid feel. Much needed space inside (upgrading from a Orion Trekker II, which was awesome). Like the rain cover and tripod carrier. Typical amount of straps that I would expect from lowepro (some people don't like that many, I do). Portable, fits in overhead compartments, about the size of an LL Bean school backpack when full. (Actually it's barely much bigger than the Orion II, just built differently.)
Cons:
Could have utilized outside space better for more pockets. The single deep pocket is good, but would have liked one or two quick access pockets like on the Orion II pack.

Dec 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dex110 to your Buddy List
William RISBY

Registered: Jul 31, 2007
Review Date: Nov 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fits everything, comfortable for short trips, very well padded, room for extras
Cons:
excessive straps.

This is not a hiking back pack and I didn't expect it to be, so I had no delusions of it's ability. I think the key to making this bag comfortable is to place the heavier items in your kit at the bottom of the bag, not at the top (as i first did). It is too unbalanced like this and also won't stand upright on the ground. flipping things around fixed the balance problem and made it much more comfortable to carry. As I fly a lot, I found it very handy using the compartments for an iPod, book, headphones etc.. I wasn't compelled to fill it with all my lenses because I could. I tried the tripod strap and gave up (carried it separately), although I would have persisted if i had to walk a long way. All in all a great bag that suits me perfectly.

Nov 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add William RISBY to your Buddy List
FourSeasons

Registered: Feb 12, 2005
Review Date: Jul 12, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Robust, lots of pockets, nice looking, light.
Cons:
back gets hot and sweaty. thin shoulder pad. lower tripod holder rub the ground (no protective pad).

Actually I got the one w/out the laptop case, but other than the case it they are nearly identical.

cool looking, lots of pocket.

my most gripe is, my back gets hot&sweaty when I use this bag. virtually no ventilation channel. Can only use this bag in late fall of winter, most of other time it`s excrutiating to carry (a friend of mine also agree).

I think no lowepro model has a good back ventilation system (do they even consider this?), or maybe they center the market for mainland US with dry summer (I life in Japan, it gets humid here). But again there isn`t many camera bag with a good back ventilation.

I really can`t recommend it to anyone, unless you are ok with hot sweaty back. Fix this flaw and and make the shoulder pad thicker then it`ll be a decent camera bag.

Jul 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FourSeasons to your Buddy List
duckieNL

Registered: May 30, 2007
Review Date: May 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, padding, extra room for laptop, weather resistant
Cons:
none yet

I started with a Lowepro Minitrekker Classic. I holds all my photo gear, with ease. A friend of mine had a Lowepro Minitrekker AW. It was a lot more expensive, had a tripod mount, and was protected by a AllWeather Cover. But wat was more interesting was that the Aw has more pocket room on the back. Although i payed 70 euro's for the mintrekker classic i did not want to spend another 150 euro's for these minor improvements over the classic. That was the main reason for buying the classic, the price. When i came on a photo seminar the where selling Computrekker AWs for 100 euro's. I could not resist. It is a Minitrekker AW with a better handle on the top. more padding on the back due to the laptop sleeve. I sold my Classic for 60 euro's. I am happy now. I can carry my whole photo kit. Put my manfrotto 055/804RC2 on the back. If the bag is on the floor it is better protected due to the laptop sleeve, and indeed a laptop can be carried as well.

The whole package is rather heavy but from taxi to hotel of from car to home it can be done and the straps are also better than thos of the Minitrekker Classic and AW. So if you do not carry all your gear it is much better situated on your back than its brother and sister.

The next generation of Loweprobags is a lot bigger, so therefore i think this is the best rucksack you can buy form Lowepro. It is a combination of the Classic and the AllWeather with more room, better padding, protections and carrying straps.

Many people like me who start with photography want a lowepro ruksack, so the start with the classic, due to the price difference with the AW. But the price difference between the AW and the computrekker is smaller, but the gain overall is better. I have had good deals and could sell my bags for a good price but i think resellers should be more biased towards this Computrekker instead of the Calssic or even the AW.

May 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add duckieNL to your Buddy List
SagaciousLu

Registered: Jan 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: well padded, laptop space is roomy, weather-resistant, comfortable (to a point) .
Cons:
kind of small

I bought it about a year ago as my first bag and have loved it ever since. It safely holds all my gear and is very easy to carry. as a student photojournalist working for my school's paper, i often have to walk around campus and look for photos or go to assignments. this bag is perfect for all of that.

Some were complaining that the bag didnt work when they tried to go hiking with it, but i think thats because it wasnt really made for hiking. i think it was made as something you could take on assignment and not have to use two bags for camera and laptop. I have teken thins bag on cross-country trips and it never once gave me problems (it fits great in overhead bins). i've even snowboarded with it on my back.

Ive also read that people dont like not being able to access their camera while they wear it, but thats becasue backpacks are made to carry things, duh. If you want access, get a shoulder sling bag.

one thing i did find, however, was that as my gear collection grew, the space inside the bag ran out quick. it is almost packed to capacity now with a 1D, 20D, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 16mm 2.8 fisheye, NP-E3 battery, Magic Arm, Superclamp and camera platform, 550EX, and two Pocketwizards. the only thing i think i would have room for would be another battery. When i upgrade ill definitely go for the Computrekker Plus.

But even with all that stuff (about 30 lbs.), it still holds strong and ive never had a strap rip, zipper bust, or buckle break. Hell, i even ran about a mile with it on my back a couple nights ago without any discomfort.

Feb 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SagaciousLu to your Buddy List
BrandonRussell

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Comfy, customizable interior, fits well anywhere including underseat in airplanes w/computer, fits decent amount of other stuff ie., jackets, water bottle etc...
Cons:
Elastic cords for tripod were worthless and no longer exist on mine.

I love this thing and it goes everywhere I do. Computer fits perfectly in back and seems very durable. The tripod setup with the elastic bands was horrible. I am trying to rig up an alternative w/carabiners.

Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BrandonRussell to your Buddy List
Brian Hansen

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Oct 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $159.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Very protective of the gear and holds a lot - easily fits 15" Powerbook. Good carry on for airplane travel.
Cons:
Uncomfortable as a back pack - see comments. Tripod thing gets in way of getting to gear.

I have traveled to Europe, Mexico, South America with this bag full of my gear and it worked well for that. What it doesn't work for is hiking. I completely threw my back out with this thing after a day of hiking and shooting in Mexico and I have never had a back problem in my life. I could barely walk the next day and it was the day I was leaving. My poor wife had to act like a Sherpa for me as I couldn't even lift a dop kit. It was fully loaded that day however. I have learned to lighten the load by half but then you have to leave behind things you may need on the shoot.

Oct 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brian Hansen to your Buddy List
Toothman

Registered: Aug 10, 2004
Review Date: Jun 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Can fit alot of gear and protect it, well made.
Cons:
Too uncomfortable when loaded up.

I have to agree with the previous posters comments, I took this bag on a trip to China to keep all my gear and ended up getting pretty frustrated with the pack.

When wearing the bag as intended it feels like you've got a box strapped to your back, the waistband is pretty useless and the whole thing feels quite unbalanced. I ended up taking the tripod straps off and not taking a tripod with me as I just found them too awkward for everyday use (surely there is a simpler way to attach a tripod?).

When you've filled this bag up (it can take quite alot!) the weight is just too much for it to be a comfortable backpack and a shoulder bag would give you much easier access to your gear.

Cheers,
C.

Jun 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Toothman to your Buddy List
billmartin

Registered: Jan 8, 2006
Review Date: Apr 13, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: protects equipment very well, fully customizable
Cons:
poor zippers, useless waist belt, sits very high on your back, bulky, uncomfortable

I bought this, put all my gear in it (15" powerbook, 350D and several lenses), walked around for awhile and sent it back a couple hours later.

I have to give this bag some credit because Lowepro does know how to protect your equipment very well. This bag carried everything I had(photo and computer gear), great for a carry on while flying. I know my gear is safe. The only problem is that it's a camera bag first and a backpack second.

In other words, it's very functional but I didn't find it very comfortable. By the time you get the arm straps in the proper position the bag sits so high on your back that the so called waste belt ends up around your stomach. The whole point of a waste belt is to take weight off your shoulders and put it onto your hips. Becuase you can't use them properly, you end up with these huge 2 inch straps dangling all over the place.

The tripod thingy? There are much easier ways to carry a tripod on a backpack. This thing is another big hassle. I can't access my gear without taking that stupid thing off.

The zippers were small and getting caught on the fabric, I can't see that lasting.

I don't understand the waterproof cover. Why don't they just make the fabric waterproof with sealed zippers? Then you wouldn't have to bother with that thing.

Like I said, it's an ok pack for your gear but this bag just wasn't well thought out. I want something comfortable that I can wear all day, I don't regret sending it back.

Apr 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add billmartin to your Buddy List
shootThis

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Review Date: Mar 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sturdy, good support, and comfortable even when fully loaded. lots of compartment options with all the dividers. Holds my (old and big) laptop comfortably with a little extra room
Cons:
Clear pouches are not that clear, and too big. a little more seperation would have been nice. Tripod thing, front pouch

Overall I really like the bag. Fits my old, thick toshiba well with a little extra room. Top pouch is just a bottomless pit though, and could have used a little more organization. I also hate and don't use the waist straps. Holds my 2 camera system, while they are on vh-2000 camera brackets well though, as well as several lens, and a few flashes.

Mar 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shootThis to your Buddy List
ragedigital

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: + Excellent fit and finish. + Easy to expand. + Plenty of room. + Fits under a seat on a Southwest Airplane (filled) + Looks like a hiking bag rather than a bag with thousands worth of camera gear - theft deterrent!
Cons:
+ The clear pouches aren't that clear - difficult to tell what is in each pocket unless they have bright characteristics. + Slips off of shoulder when using only on shoulder strap. + Way too many straps for this and that. + Front pocket is basically a dump bins with little organization.

My main reason for buying this bag was to combine a laptop case and a camera bag. I go on business trips, so condensing the amount of equipment is necessary. It will hold a laptop and a small folder or a couple of magazines in the laptop space.

There is a substantial amount of space for lenses - almost too much. Makes you put everything you own in there and then it's gonna weigh you down...

I typically carry it using 1 shoulder and it slips off continuously - they need some type of rubber pad under there.

I made some modifications that I felt weren't necessary for me: removed waist belt, chest belt and all pull strings.

Jan 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ragedigital to your Buddy List
JasonY01

Registered: Oct 3, 2004
Review Date: Jan 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything I need for a week or two fits in there and I mean everything...well at least camera related equipment. I actually have the Computrekker AW PLUS which is practically the same thing just a little bigger. My bag has been with me all over the world, Europe, Canada, Alaska and I'm writing this right now in Hong Kong after a week and a half in Shanghai, China. The bag has never let me down, I just get overzealous with stuffing crap into the bag so it gets a big heavy. My Loadout for this current trip is; 1 x 1Ds Mark II 1 x 1v Hs 1 x 16-35L 1 x 70-200L IS 1 x 50mm 1.4 1 x 50 macro 1 x 100 macro 1 x 2X Doubler 1 x 580EX 1 x Sekonic 558R 1 x Gitzo Carbon Fiber Mountaineer II Filters, Cleaning Supplies 40 GB in CF Cards Like I said I get overzealous when packing my bag it's been heavy as hell but everything fits nicely in there and it's a Lowepro so I know my stuff will be taken care of inside. I also have my Apple 17" Powerbook in there and 3 batteries and AC Adapter. All in all the bag distributes the weight great even with a load out nearing 50Lbs+.
Cons:
The zippers get caught on themselves sometimes and I've had to send my other Computrekker AW PLUS in when the zippers ran off the teeth. Customer service was great though and got me a new bag within 48 hours. A little too big at times and the size encourages you to just keep stuffing it with crap.

Jan 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JasonY01 to your Buddy List
markyboy

Registered: May 31, 2004
Review Date: Nov 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I have had this case for more than a year now and it has served me well. I'm able to carry the following with this case: Canon 20D with BG-E2 Grip, 400mm 5.6L, 1.4x teleconverter, Kenko extension tube set, 50mm f/1.8, 550EX Flash, 18-55mm EF-S, cleaning equipment, filters, and a whole lot more.

Even with all of my equipment loaded it is comfortable to carry around for hours. The only thing that might be a problem for some people is the tripod/monopod holder. Honestly I think it is useless but this isn't a problem for me as I carry my tripod over my shoulder.

Nov 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markyboy to your Buddy List

Lowepro CompuTrekker AW