Lowepro Lens Case 3

3 16096 Apr 18, 2008
8.3

Made with a rigid base to support zoom lenses such as the Canon 70-200 f/4.0 with tripod ring attached.

Capacity:

Size (Interior): 4.5D x 8H in. / 11.5 x 20.5 cm
Outer fabric: water-resistant 600D TXP

Dawei Ye

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Apr 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good Protection
Cons:
No strap/strap loops, a bit too bulky to wear on the belt, a divider would be useful, hard to carry by itself - needs a hand strap

I really like the Size of the Lowepro Lens Case 3, and it provides good protection for the contents. Like all Lowepro products the (at least subjective) degree of protection is very high though you wouldn't want to throw it around though.

I dislike its lack of straps and handles though. It's near impossible to carry around without attaching it via its sliplock attachment to another Lowepro bag or your belt or something.

When on the belt, it is pretty awkward, though I guess you can't blame the product for having a large cargo compartment.

All in all though, it is very useful to me and if I'd still buy it if given the option again. It fits the items I have listed below very well.

Possible Cargo that I have tried:
1 X 580EXII (in supplied case)

or 1 X Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 AND 1 X Tokina 12-24mm f/4 with at least a 2cm piece of foam in between (all hoods reversed)

or 1 X 70-200mm f/4L IS (hood reversed)

(Bryan at the-digital-picture.com in his review has a list of possible contents for this lens case, and I originally purchased this for my 70-200 f/4L IS based on his site. Since then, I've kept my 70-200 attached constantly to my 40D though so I've used the Lens Case for carrying the 580EXII or 2X compact zoom lenses):

I paid AUD $28 for mine

Apr 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dawei Ye to your Buddy List
duckieNL

Registered: May 30, 2007
Review Date: May 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Relative cheap, great storage, good protection
Cons:
not yet found

I have had several Lowepro bags and i always wanted lenscase or something to add. Call me a gearfreak, and yes i am ;-)

On the other hand, it is handy tot carry lenses externally for quick access or is you just need extra room for transport.

For that reason, and the combination of a Toploader 70AW, i bought a lenscase 4. I do not have a EF 70-200 F2.8 IS USM, but i do rent it a lot. Later i bought a LC4S for smaller lenses and my latest purchase was a LC3. The smaller ones will eventually appear in my house for all the other lenses, but in the mean time they protect all my lenses with i take out. The LC4 is to big for a Toploader 70AW, so a removed the straps put them on the LC3, which is full of loops but has no straps. And now de Toploader is in better balance with the LC4S. The LC4 is carried seperately by its carriing strap, or stored on a save and controlled environment.

I still believe that A Toploader and Lenscase Combinations gives you more freedom and different combinations, which a Slingshot will not. The slingshot should be bought as large as possible and sometimes it is to big, or there is no need for extra pockets etc. With a Toploader with or without Lenscases you heve more variable combinations. The downside is that i have bought a Oriontrekker to compensate for this. ;-)

May 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add duckieNL to your Buddy List
jamesf99

Registered: Oct 9, 2004
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $18.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very well made, excellent padding, flexible attachments. Fits longer lenses including Canon's 70-200 f/4.0L.
Cons:
None that I have found.

I've also reviewed the Lowepro 4 and 4s cases and this one also scores highly. This case doesn't have all the features of a "4" series case, but it's still great for lens storage and transportation.

I use it for the Canon 70-200 f/4.0L, which it holds securely with the tripod ring attached. Note: the regular 4 case (not the "4s") holds the 70-200 f/2.8L IS (or the non-IS) with the tripod ring attached as well.

The differnce between the 3 series and the 4 series is the amount of padding and the external straps/attachments, with the smaller 3 series being a little more basic case.

It will attach to Lowepro bags (and others) for field use, travel, or storage. All my lenses live in cases like this one when not being used. I highly recommend this case for the 70-200 f/4.0L (or similarly sized lenses).

Oct 7, 2005