Canon i9900 Photo Post a Review
28 51998 Jul 8, 2007
Cartridges Price Rating Paper Quality Rating Overall Rating
i9900_586x225_1_

Description: Bigger just got better.
The i9900 Photo Printer is a high-end large format machine whose remarkable output can rival that of a professional processing lab. It's capable of producing edge-to-edge true borderless prints, from 4" x 6" up to a breathtaking 13" x 19" size, with the look and feel of a traditional photograph. Think of it: you can take a digital picture, set your printing parameters and be holding an amazing 13" x 19" poster-size borderless print in under 3 minutes*. For true printing freedom you can even connect a Bubble Jet Direct** or PictBridge-compatible** digital camera or DV camcorder to the i9900 printer's conveniently located Direct Print Port and print photos -- without a computer.

Higher resolution -- it's all in the details.
The i9900 Photo Printer features advanced MicroFine Droplet Technology™, which combines revolutionary techniques in ink droplet size and quality with accurate ink application and composition, for spectacular photo results. Its newly developed, high-density print head contains an unmatched 6,144 precisely machined nozzles, delivering approximately 11 million droplets per square inch. Providing the exceptional quality demanded by serious photographers, the i9900 Photo Printer achieves a resolution of up to 4800 x 2400 dpi*** and delivers ultra-fine 2 picoliter droplets that reveal precise details in photographs that many other large-format printers just can't duplicate. The quality of your photos will truly impress family and friends, while the speed at which they print will truly impress you. Edge-to-edge borderless 4" x 6" photos can be produced in about 38 seconds* or print your 8.5" x 11" photo enlargements in about 50 seconds*. The i9900's performance is further advanced with the addition of both a FireWire and USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for the fastest photo transfers possible††.

An 8 color ink system broadens your spectrum.
The i9900 Photo Printer features the 8 color ChromaPLUS ink system designed to extend your color reproduction range significantly and reproduce colors that before now could only be printed professionally. The addition of red and green ink tanks will make it possible to print richer images with improved brilliancy and more true-to-life colors. The Canon Think Tank System™ featuring individual ink tanks combined with an intelligent ink management system lets you replace only the color that runs out, rather than an entire multi-ink cartridge containing unused ink, reducing printing costs†††. A unique low-ink sensor alerts you when ink levels are low, so you can drop in a new tank and avoid running out of ink unexpectedly.

6,144 nozzles for exceptional speed
8 color ChromaPLUS ink system for expanded color gamut
2 picoliter droplets for virtually grain-free photos up to 13" x 19"
8 individual ink tanks help reduce waste and can save you money
Direct photo printing from PictBridge-compatible digital cameras and DV camcorders
Amazon Ad:
MPN#: 00000000000000000000
B&H Ad:

Page:  1 · 2
fintax

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely STUNNING prints!
Cons: None so far

I just purchased this yesterday & within 45 minutes, it was up and running & I had printed one 4x6 and three 13x19 photos. All were absolutely stunning, and the ink indicators still show "Full"!

As an amateur, I'm not into calibration etc. yet, but the photos right out of my Canon XT are superb!

I looked at the i8500, which shares the same technology, but opted for the (twice-the-price) i9900 to get those 15-20 large photos I want to print each year. My local photo shop charges $24.99 for a 13x19, while now I figure my cost to be some $6.

I will display a few of my larger prints in my office, and I'm sure my clients (and friends) will take up my offer to print their larger photos for them. At $15 a pop, they get a great deal, and I get to buy my paper & ink for "free"!!!

If you're only going to print up to 8.5x11, stick with what you have or go with the i8500. Otherwise, this it IT!!

Jun 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fintax to your Buddy List
djgarcia

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $419.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, resolution, color, Media Street ink & papers
Cons: Price of ink, I guess, but per/print price seems reasonable, especially after my Kodak 8500.

I am now printing mostly 11x17 and 13x19. Anything smaller just doesn't do justice to the EOS 1DsII images. You look at a 7x10 image and say "that's beautiful!". You look at the same in 13x19 and say "WHOA!".

I've been using Media Street paper and their Niagara mass ink delivery system, and love the convenience and the economy (after a while). With my calibrated monitors the factory profile prints pretty much on, just a tad darker.

I did have to place the driver settings to manual color and reduce the Intensity control to -2, as some shades were printing somewhat over-the-top. AFter that colors are nice and natural. I also set the quality to manual so I could use the Extra-Fine setting, with a speed loss, of course. I believe in certain conditions it helps, but maybe I'm making it up Smile.

I'm very happy with this printer and the prints it delivers.

May 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add djgarcia to your Buddy List
go4it

Registered: Sep 2, 2004
Review Date: May 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $439.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY fast and relatively quiet. SEPARATE INK CARTRIDGES!!!! Phenomenal range of coloration!
Cons: Hasn't come down in retail price much from it's introduction.

It's everything good you've already read and more. We use lots of Pictorico paper and the inks dry i-n-s-t-a-n-t-l-y and the prints seem to have more depth to them compared to other papers.

Zero negatives on this OUTSTANDING printer! I hate to give anything a "perfect" score but if the i9900 doesn't deserve it, nothing does.

May 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add go4it to your Buddy List
seppork

Registered: May 1, 2005
Review Date: May 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Print quality and speed
Cons: Hard to find

I have had the printer for 4 months now. I frst used Canon inks but replaced the ink set with WeInk.com CFS system and their inks.

I am using paper from www.Papermilldirect.com with a self made ICC-profile ( with PrintFix ).

Now - after profiling the printer and calibrating my monitor - I have been reprinting my photos on A3 size with results with quality, sharpness and colour richness exceeding my wildest hopes!

I do recommend printer profiling! The CFS-system is great - a real cost saver!

And the printer - it is the best I' ve seen and the print quality exceeds clearly the quality of all the commercial photo labs I've tried.

May 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add seppork to your Buddy List
dondada73

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Mar 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: beautiful prints, and QUIET!!
Cons: large footprint, but to be expected if you are printing up to 13 x 19

I just purchased this printer last weekend and it completely BLOWS AWAY the HP Photosmart I had before it. Really not even worth comparing the two. I had a handful of shots i took with my D70 and was waiting a while to print them because i didn't have a worthy printer. I have to say i was amazed at the quality of the prints and how quickly and quietly this Canon functions. I even printed some black and whites that came out quite nice as well. Definitely would recommend this printer!

Mar 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dondada73 to your Buddy List
Vettesight

Registered: Apr 8, 2004
Review Date: Mar 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding Color, Sharpness and speed
Cons: Limited paper choice

I have used this printer since August 2004. It is fantastic. I make mostly 8 1/2 X 11, but occasionaly 13X19 or 11X14. The color depth and sharpness astound everyone who sees them. The ability to turnout a 13X19 borderless print in under 3 minutes is wonderful. I just wish there were more paper choices ie. sizes 11X14 or alternates surface types.

RE ink, I find I go through Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan more than the others. Despite what others have said I seem to get a good number of prints before the printer is thirsty again.

I highly reccomend this printer.

Mar 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vettesight to your Buddy List
dgrinde

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Feb 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $437.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

The best printer I've ever owned. The photos look better on paper than your PC. It does a great job at taking noise out as well. The prints are better than any digital processing I ever had as well. The only draw back is, if you're a high volume printer, the i9900 sucks ink. Print your good stuff at home and go to Costco to print the rest.

Feb 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dgrinde to your Buddy List
sbcjesjr

Registered: Jun 17, 2004
Review Date: Feb 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $394.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunning Results, Seperate ink tanks, Easy set up
Cons: Rather large footprint, but what do you expect from a printer that prints 19x13

If you're into printing your own photos, Well this printer is it. Easy set up, Rather quite and photos that puts a smile on your face and makes you say WOW! This printer is awesome and would recommend to anyone.

Feb 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sbcjesjr to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Jan 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $419.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lot's of contrast and rich color output It's a speed demon sips ink compared to my previous S9000
Cons: Profiles for non Canon paper have to be custom configured

After doing the simple setup for this printer I set out to see how the different papers would work. I used the Paper Pro, Glossy and Matte paper from Canon. On all but the Matte it was a no brainer. The Matte paper was a bit fussier in that you need to simply allow the printer to stick to the "Standard" print setting as if you insist on bumping it up to the "Fine" setting it causes color overload. The speed is astounding in all sizes......a industry leader for sure. The print cartridges are much less expensive in bulk from Canoga Camera ($8.79 ea. vs. typical $11.00+) The contrast is a far cry from earlier models and the POP is simply wonderful. Even the B&W output is commendable. I got mine for a very resonable price from J&R Music World. All in all it's been a wonderful choice I don't regret one bit.....

Jan 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List
Playashot

Registered: Jul 4, 2004
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Jan 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great value, wide format, vivid color, quiet operation, quick printing and ease of use.
Cons: Haven't found any yet!

I walked into a large comsumer electronics store planning to buy the Epson 2200. A Canon rep happened to be in-store doing demos of the i9900. Prints compared favorably to the significantly higher priced Epson and the resolution was close enough not to make a difference to the naked eye, so I bought.

The 13x19 prints that I've been making on Canon Paper Pro glossy from my Nikon D1Xreally compete with film and far exceed the Fujitsu prints that I'd been getting commercially.

I would recommend this printer to anyone looking for high quality 13x19 print capability at an unbelieveable price of under 500 bucks.

Jan 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Playashot to your Buddy List
roanjohnnyc

Registered: Feb 28, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Big, Fast and Gorgeous output!!!
Cons: Design, limited choice for Canon Paper.

I've read all the reviews and nobody has anything bad to say about this printer. It is fast, it is quiet and it spits out beautiful photos down to the minute detail. I've compared prints from this printer to the Adorama pro lab and the photos from the i9900 shows more color depth with much sharper details.

You can't go wrong.

Design - could've been better. Maybe a more streamlined look (like the square Pixma line).

Canon Paper - very limited. Not much selections compared to Epson.

Setup is fairly easy. Open the box, follow the large poster, connect to your computer, calibrate the printheads and you're set to go.

In any case, the good still outweights the bad. I've given prints to my friends from this printer and they are just as blown away as when I first printed my first photo.

I would give this pritner a 9.5........but since we don't have that option - I'll go ahead and give it a 10!!! :-)

Ro1

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add roanjohnnyc to your Buddy List
mbohunsky

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The prints are breath-taking. Large format (13x19), small price. Read the review
Cons: The ink isn't free nor waterproof (but how many prints have you gotten wet?)

The first print that I grabbed from the tray of my i9900 took my breath away. I just could not believe the quailty that this consumer inkjet can produce! The speed at which the 9900 prints out the photos rival their quality; needless to say, it is very fast.

Over the course of the few months that I have owned the printer, it has more than managed to pay for itself. The total of eight ink cartriges can really add up in cost but I have had good luck buying genuine Canon ink through e-*ay.

On one instance, I had to print some shots from the scene of an accident. The unfortunale lady's daughter told me that these prints looked better than her wedding pictures. Ouch.

The prints look way better than the prints that they try to pass off in the one-hour processing labs. They rival my color dark room prints in quality if not the size (I frequently print 16x20).

Some may balk at the price but just show me a printer that will print borderless 13x19's under five minutes at this price range!

Overall, a fast printer that offers exceptionall quality prints.

Jan 21, 2005