Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye

70 182985 Sep 3, 2014
ef15mmf_28_1_

Fisheye lens with a 180 angle of view for unique and intriguing effects. The wide depth of field makes it even more interesting. The short minimum focusing distance of 8 in. (20 cm) gives new meaning to close-up shots. The lens has a fixed petal-type hood and a gelatin filter holder at the rear.

perpera

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Dec 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $616.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp and lightweight, very resistant to flare
Cons:
noisy AF

My copy of this excellent lens is sharp wide open in center and sharp from corner to corner at aperture 5.6.
The only con is a very noisy AF when compared to USM.
Very recommendable.

Dec 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add perpera to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Dec 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: nitido - leggero -sorprendente la sua applicazione
Cons:
nessuno a parte la distorsione naturale

Un grande obiettivo capace di offrire grandi risultati con tanta fantasia-ottimo potere di risoluzione specialmente al centro-
Ai bordi per leggermente nel dettaglio ma mi pare alquanto fisiologico per la tipologia dell'ottica

Dec 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
I Simonius

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Oct 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp feels solid
Cons:
- CA is very noticable with this lens but that is about its only image fault given that its a fisheye - Lens cap comes off too easily

Oct 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add I Simonius to your Buddy List
john Paul

Registered: Jul 22, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, fast, sharp, groovy..
Cons:
....The lens cap/cover design could be a little better..

I love mine.. Great on a FF body,....kind of strange on a crop body.. It's a very sharp lens,...probably the next sharpest lens I own up the line is the 50mm f1.4.. I wish the rest in the wide range between were as sharp as this lens.. Yes it is a little "noisy" in focusing,...but big deal.. There is hardly focusing needed with this lens to focus on anything.. With the 12mm Ex. tube, really fun photos can come from it.. :-)

The lens cover slips off pretty easily, and I'd like to have had a snap on type cover because mine is now scratched a little thanks to the cover coming off in my pocket, and scratching the lens.. :-( ...but the image quality isn't noticeably reduced by any means.. In fact, everyone I know who owns this lens has managed to scratch it at some point..

JP

JPphotographer.com

Sep 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add john Paul to your Buddy List
Jia Wang

Registered: Apr 2, 2005
Review Date: Jun 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - Light, well-constructed, sharp.
Cons:
- Lens gets dirty easily, slightly pricey.

Had wanted a wide angle for my 20D for quite some time to complement my 17-40mm f4L workhorse. Was contemplating the 14mm f2.8L as well, but was way too out of my budget.

Took a dive and got this lens. Must say that it's really quite a fun lens to shoot with, giving me a new perspective to the kinds of shots I normally take. Did a test shoot with it yesterday, and I should say that for landscape shots, if composed properly, the lens distortion at the edges can be quite well controlled on my 20D 1.6x crop factor.

But of course, the fisheye effect is still quite apparent and when used appropriately (this is really up to the creativity of the user), the result is very satisfying.

Moreover, I was very pleasantly pleased with it's sharpness. Despite it's lack of USM, focusing wasn't quite a problem during my test-shoot.

Can't wait to use it on a full-frame body, which would be my next upgrade, should the 5D replacement were to come along.

Here's the link to my test-shoot.

Jun 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jia Wang to your Buddy List
Glassbottle

Registered: Jan 17, 2006
Review Date: May 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, flare-resistant, well built, compact.
Cons:
Chromatic aberration at the extreme edges of the image on a full-frame camera.

Somewhat overpriced, as others have noted, but you do get a cool package for your money -- a 180-degree field of view from a lens that is not only extremely sharp but also produces pleasing colours and high contrast.

The lens designer's job is probably easier for a fisheye than a rectilinear ultrawide. Whatever the reason, this lens is sharper than anything I've seen under 24mm, including L primes.

Colour and contrast are also top-notch. Flare is not a bother at all.

Of course, being a fisheye, the lens distorts like crazy, but that's why you bought it, right? Don't pin your hopes on de-fishing your images if you value image quality. The edges and corners WILL go soft from all the pixel-stretching. Still, it's debatable whether the softness is any worse than you'd get from a rectilinear lens in this focal-length range.

Anyway, I love it. Sure it's a gimmick, but it's a cool gimmick, and it is possible to minimise the fisheye effect with careful placement of subject-matter.

May 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Glassbottle to your Buddy List
Sam White

Registered: Apr 29, 2007
Review Date: Apr 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Pretty good build quality. Quite sharp wide open, and it improves noticeably at f4 and smaller. Nice colour and contrast. A cute little lens.
Cons:
Front element is a nightmare to keep completely spotless. My 5D sometimes over exposures (when set to Evaluative). And if I was being really picky, no USM so AF is a bit noisy.

Sold my 17-40 to get this lens (my copy was sharp enough but with a max aperture of f4 it was just too slow and not wide enough for my kind of photography).

I'm very pleased with the Canon fisheye so far. For reference, mine was manufactured in Oct 2006. Being a fisheye, focussing is quick despite the lack of USM. It seems to suffer from a bit of CA in high contrast compositions (e.g. tree branches set against a bright sky) but otherwise can't really fault it. It's very sharp, even wide open.

Just make sure you don't lose the lens cap!

Apr 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sam White to your Buddy List
BrandonRussell

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Apr 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cool wide angle effect, great for sports, architecture and landscape (if properly composed)
Cons:
No room for protective filter

This lens is great. The colors are fantastic the auto focus is actually pretty quick. I use this lens to shoot skiing and long exposure night sky shots. I love it. I just worry about the lack of a protective filter.

Apr 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BrandonRussell to your Buddy List
Dan Doucette

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Feb 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good image quality (sharp, good contrast/colors), small/compact/light-weight, offers 180 degree field of view and interesting perspective/distortion
Cons:
Very annoying lens cap, no USM motor makes for noisy focusing, front element could get damaged because it protrudes (unavoidable), build quality is just acceptable

This is a very specialized lens. It offers a 180 degree field of view and interesting perspectives and distortion. It is meant to be used sparingly, when the right situations present themselves. As such, I tend to only use it occasionally, (as most pictures do not benefit from the distortion, and perspective that this lens offers). But when the time is right, and the situation calls for the unique fisheye characteristics, it can produce very memorable images.

The lens is decently built, although the auto focus ring could be better. The front element protrudes (unavoidable for a lens with this field of view) and I sometimes worry about damaging it when I'm using it. The very small built in lens shade is really to protect the front element, and not to block flare. When it comes to flare, I find that this lens can handle it pretty well, even when shooting directly into light sources, (which you often will when your lens takes in such a vast field of view).

The image quality is good. Sharpness, contrast, and colors are all fine; I have never noticed them lacking. The front lens cap is prone to falling off, so I keep the lens in a small pouch when it's stored in my camera bag. Tape or maybe an elastic band could help hold it on.

For the limited amount that the average person will use this lens, the price is a bit high. This is probably due to the fact that Canon sells fewer units of a specialized lens like this then they do with a more conventional model (ie 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4).

I shoot with full frame 5D cameras and bought this lens so I could capitalize on the wide angle potential of the full frame sensor. If used with crop sensor cameras, the value of the fisheye lens might be less, as you end up essentially with a wide angle lens with tons of distortion (distortion that can be removed with software). In my opinion, one of the main reasons to use a fisheye lens is to accentuate the distortion, and a full frame sensor can do this to best effect.

So overall, I don't use this lens often, but in the right situations, I have been able to make some really good photographs with it. It's good to have one around, just for those times when its unique effects are called for.

-Dan Doucette
www.infotography.com

Feb 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan Doucette to your Buddy List
Wirelezzz

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Jan 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Solid, Light, great colors, price
Cons:
lenscap, no cp filter can be attached

I sold my 17-40L to get some wide angle primes, all my other lenses are primes and I can not go back to zooms.
I love the prime quality.
The 15MM does have barrelt distortion on the 30D but easly fixed if needed with Grasshopper. I cant believe how sharp this lens is, Must have lens for a 1.6 crop.Thanx to all these reviews i eneded up with one !

Jan 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wirelezzz to your Buddy List
hermosawave

Registered: Jul 12, 2003
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide!
Cons:
The lens cap thing...

I'm using this on my 5D, it's great fun! You can get a very wide image (duh!), There is some vingnetting and some flare, but nothing unreasonable.

I bought it with the intention of de-fishing the images, but the de-fish process adds distortion and reduces resolution with all the pixel bending involved, so I started trying to avoid it. Holding the lens straight to horizon helps quite a bit ;-)

On my 20D there is almost no curvature, you can use it straight up like a regular 24mm wide angle.

All in all, I'm using it all the time for landscape shots, a lot more than I thought I would. If you like wide angles, this should be in your bag.

Here are some samples:

Need to pay special attention to keeping the front element clean.

Nov 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hermosawave to your Buddy List
tallberg

Registered: Jun 21, 2006
Review Date: Oct 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High quality images, possibly the best ultrawide solution for canon fullframe systems short of the very expensive exotics.
Cons:
Very annoying cap, but easily fixed.

I've used this lens for a few months, and my point of comparison is the 17-40/4L. The 15 fisheye is a gem in many ways - surprisingly sharp corners, surprisingly good contrast even in misty, backlit shots. It resolves detail well for such a wide-angle beast, and I was surprised at how well it controls flare - but this has to be taken in context, this is an ultra wide. There's a bit of CA, but it's quite regular and the standard post-processing tools make short work of it.

I am no fan at all of barrel distortion and the actual fish-eye effect, but the point is that with software de-fishing this is a surprisingly good substitute for a rectilinear ultrawide. De-fished, it's a 12 mm WA lens, and since you'd almost always would need to correct the perspective and barrel distortion in postprocessing with such a lens, the de-fishing is not that much trouble. More to the point, I am not aware of a 12 mm rectilinear lens with comparable performance to be had at a comparable price.

As noted by almost all users, the lens cap is annoying. A piece of velcro tape helps a lot, but does not solve the issue completely.

Oct 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tallberg to your Buddy List
kazman442

Registered: Aug 26, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: What a fun lens, I find myself taking it almost everywhere I go shoot. Always good for a few shots in every location. Sharp lens.
Cons:
Lens cap is very weird with its friction fit, I have a rubberband I use to keep it on.

About sums it up above. I bought it used on FM and am glad to have it. I use it on the 1Dm2, I would like to try it on a 5D some day for some real wide use.

Aug 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kazman442 to your Buddy List
webman06

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Aug 19, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Compact, sturdy, extra sharp, distorts (but it's what we ask for !), great color rendered
Cons:
Slow focus

It's one of my favorite lens and even if i do not use it all the time, i try to "think" in terms of fisheye to use it often.
I very often crop my shots to produce magnificent panoramas.
VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Every serious photographer should own one !

Aug 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add webman06 to your Buddy List
nivenu

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: One if the sharpest Canon lenses I've owned. Distortion? That's what I bought it for.
Cons:
Lens cap is a pain. Keeps falling off and this ain't good because the lens front element is very vulnerable withour it.

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nivenu to your Buddy List
Thomaspin

Registered: Dec 21, 2004
Review Date: Aug 8, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $550.00

Pros: Use for panoramas
Cons:

Since posting my original review, below, I have used this lens a fair amount to make QuickTime Virtual Reality 360 x 180 degree panoramas, with considerable success.

Go here http://pindelski.org/Photography/ and click on 'Panoramas' in the left hand column to learn more.

Aug 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thomaspin to your Buddy List

Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye