Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye

70 183853 Sep 3, 2014
ef15mmf_28_1_

Fisheye lens with a 180 angle of view for unique and intriguing effects. The wide depth of field makes it even more interesting. The short minimum focusing distance of 8 in. (20 cm) gives new meaning to close-up shots. The lens has a fixed petal-type hood and a gelatin filter holder at the rear.

Vasco

Registered: Apr 24, 2002
Location: Portugal
Review Date: May 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp ; Build; Lightweight; Fun! Fun !
Cons:
Noisy focus.

I just tried one. Spent 4 days in Amsterdam and i got addicted! It is so much fun. Use it well, and you have pictures that will impress friends and family.
In this slideshow, you have lots of them.

May 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Vasco to your Buddy List
jimhalay

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Apr 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp images and fun to play with.
Cons:

I borrowed one from a friend when I went on a cruise last fall. Used it a bit on the cruise but was only impressed when I got home and downloaded images to the computer. Bought one for myself and slowly beginning to to learn it's versatility. It is fun to include the sun into your images and I look forward to dark night full sky shots this summer.

Apr 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jimhalay to your Buddy List
SoundHound

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: Feb 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open even at the corners with FF. Moderately priced. Small and handy. I use it naked and with PTlens and Image Trends software (both for about $60). I always have it with me and wish I used it more.
Cons:
Noisy focus. Must tape the lens edge for the cap to stay. Watch for you feet in the bottom of frame.

Not much else to say. The 15FE is much sharper, cheaper than the rectilinears (14mm, 16-35, etc) because you don't pay for all that extra rectilinear glass on the front (recti-linearization is better/cheaper performed with software).

Feb 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SoundHound to your Buddy List
Antony

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Review Date: Jan 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, ok build quality, cheap
Cons:

Great lens, either for use as a fisheye or for ultra wide angle shots (with correction). For my review and an article read here:

Jan 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Antony to your Buddy List
Ratnavel

Registered: Sep 17, 2007
Review Date: Dec 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, sharpness.. wow sharpness one more time, ultra wide!
Cons:
distortion is annoying, but correctable, no USM makes for a loud auto focus

I got purchased a used fisheye from a local professional that switched over to Nikon. I must say, this is exactly what I was looking for. Ultra wide on full frame, incredibly sharp. I mean INCREDIBLY sharp, great contrast and colors also.

I took a shot in a warehouse, and when I got back home it totally blew me away how amazing this little lens is.

I would highly recomend this lens.

I certainly do not regret the decision to purchase this over the 14mm 2.8 II. At roughly 1/3 the price, this gets me everything I would have used the 14mm for.

Dec 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ratnavel to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Oct 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, fast, small/light, very contrasty, excellent colors for non-L. Excellent super-wide effect on FF camera.
Cons:
Cost bit lot for non-L, horrible hood keep falling in bag, lens could be scratched because of this. Noisy AF since non-USM.

Exellent prime, I might be getting it again as soon I will get FF camera. You could cut your head of with super sharpness of this lens Smile) L level colors and contrast. Made several excellent shots on 5D, some samples:

Oct 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
11002

Registered: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Vietnam
Review Date: Aug 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: I think that is the exelent lens. I have some pictures, those we test by Canon 15mm f/2.8 with full frame, but i don't know how post theo in here.

Aug 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 11002 to your Buddy List
Alan Higgins

Registered: Feb 11, 2007
Review Date: Jul 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Incredibly wide (5D). Af isn't as bad as I expected. Sharp, fun and small.
Cons:
Build quality isn't fantastic. No USM - Have to switch back to MF to manually focus - Would much prefer full time MF.

A fun lens to have in the bag (And it's so small and light, why not!). Is great for parties and the like, and for different shots.

Distortion isn't that hard to correct, or can be minimized with a bit of thought before shooting. I have a very sharp copy.

The cap is incredibly annoying.

Jul 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alan Higgins to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: Jul 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Light, Fun Fun Fun!
Cons:
The lens cap is pretty much a waste of time.

A great piece of glass, very sharp throughout aperture range, tough and durable, insanely cheap really, considering what you can do with it. It's loads of fun and very useful.

Jul 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dean Treml to your Buddy List
flickr

Registered: Apr 20, 2008
Review Date: Jul 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, great IQ, fun to use with really interesting possibilities!
Cons:
Huge front element with no screw on filter is a bit frightening...

I've had this lens for about a year now, been using it on both my rebel XT and an old canon film SLR. On the XT (1.6x crop factor), the fisheye effect is barely noticeable, and its served as a great workhorse wide angle lens. Quality really is impressive for the price. On FF, the lens is downright dizzying. The results can be a bit gimmicky, but when used tastefully can produce some really incredible images.

Some photos with my rebel xt:

One year later and I'm still very happy I made the purchase!

Jul 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flickr to your Buddy List
Geofn

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $540.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp!!! Nice size. Good price. Fisheye effect is less that I expected.
Cons:
Not USM. No full-time manual focusing.

I was astonished how sharp this lens is. I'm using it on a 1Ds3, and the detail captured is simply amazing. One of my first shots was in my library (with 3 of the 4 walls in the frame!), and at 200% I can read the titles to every one of the roughly 1000 books in the image!!! It is sharper than many of my L lenses.

While not a rectilinear lens, the "fisheye effect" is less that I was expecting. This lens will be a good choice for really wide landscapes. I also expect it to be useful for some (not all, obviously) interior work.

All in all a great value for the price!

Jun 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Geofn to your Buddy List
jlandaue

Registered: Feb 4, 2005
Review Date: Jun 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $610.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, color, focus, effects
Cons:
None that I think of. Perhaps no IS ?

This lens produce good quality images with nice effects. It is not fully wide if you use cropped sensors, like Canon XT.

But in overall, I love this lens. It is fantastic for Arquitecture Landscape photography, and definetly will be in my arsenal for my trip to Europe.

Samples here taken with Canon XT:

Jun 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jlandaue to your Buddy List
Joop van Houdt

Registered: Jul 13, 2007
Review Date: May 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, contrast, cheap for what it can do
Cons:

Don't read on. Just buy it together with DXO v5 and you're addicted to it in five minutes.
Posted a few pictures here:

May 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joop van Houdt to your Buddy List
carlsbadbum

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 1986
Review Date: Apr 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: You can make people and pets look funny without trying.
Cons:
Noisy motor, and the lens cap is a joke live everyone said.

My only complaint is the lens cap fell and rolls away. Canon should redesign it like the new 14L II that has pinch tap locking cap, the current version uses friction to keep it in place. Overall is not too bad for the price, you get what you pay for.

Apr 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add carlsbadbum to your Buddy List
chalford

Registered: Mar 1, 2008
Review Date: Mar 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wide, wide, wide!
Cons:
Lens cap is a joke. Really Canon - shame on you!

This is a fun lens. I think it is actually my favorite of all my lenses. I've read reviews that talk about how the "fisheye-effect" gets old... Well, this is a fisheye lens and it will get old if you don't use it right. But if you want to get creative with it, you can really hide the fact that there is so much distortion. Make sure to keep horizons in the middle of the frame and you can get amazing landscapes!

I posted some shots on my home page. Check them out - maybe they will inspire you.

The lens cap is bad. Absolutely. I use the soft case from Canon and wrap a rubber band around it. The first time I opened my camera bag and saw that the hard metal cap was off and bouncing around I decided that Canon had done us all a real disservice. Someone has to make a really effective 3rd party cap to replace this with. Very very bad planning here. Could it have not even twisted on with a thread on the outside of the petal hood? Such a shame.

Mar 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chalford to your Buddy List
Tigadee

Registered: Aug 4, 2005
Review Date: Jan 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great field of view, compact/light
Cons:
If you lose that lens cap, that's it - this lens doesn't take filters!

Got this for a steal but even compared to the new versions (14mm f2.8 Fisheye), it's a real bargain and sharp as a tack. Love the fisheye feel (I use it on the 5D) and though opportunities to really make it shine are few, but when it gets to work, it works very well!

Only concern is the glass as it's very exposed and filters can't be fitted. Lose that lens cap and that's it - the glass is open season for scratches! Still, it's such a lovely & light lens and I take it along with my 5D anytime, even when I think I may not use it...

Jan 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tigadee to your Buddy List

Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye