Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF

23 103501 Feb 23, 2014
8.6
1935mm

Tamron's AF19-35mm F/3.5-4.5 is a new affordable super wide-angle zoom ideal for travel, landscape, group portrait, adventure photography and more. Offering an authentic super wide-angle range with an angle of view of 97- 63 and a close M.O.D. of 19.68 inches, this 19-35mm provides dramatic and fun image making. The lens is easy to carry
anywhere as it weighs just 10.5 ounces and is only 2.66 inches long. It also features a fixed front element group and filter mount, facilitating the use of polarizing filters.

Model A10
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 11-13
Angle of View 97- 63
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 8
Minimum Aperture F/22
Minimum Focus 19.70 in. (0.5m)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:12
Filter Diameter 77
Weight 11.2 oz. (317g)
Diameter x Length 3.3 in. x 2.7 in.

(83.2mm x 67.7mm)

Accessory Flower-Shaped Hood
Mount Canon, Minolta, Nikon-D

Page:  1 · 2  next

soggy

Registered: Aug 2, 2008
Review Date: Feb 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, good IQ, lightweight
Cons:
Build quality is on the cheap side, AF is slow

Bought this lens used at a really good price and have been very surprised at the images that it produces when used between f/8 to f/16. Stopped down it is sharp and color reproduction is nice. It even comes with a lens shade, which is nice. For the price I could not be happier.

Feb 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add soggy to your Buddy List
macD600

Registered: Jan 12, 2013
Review Date: Jan 12, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $95.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: works on FX. Metal mount. Build is a lot better than 18-55mm kit lens. Very sharp if your camera can adjust for back focus.
Cons:
back focuses, vignetting at widest end when aperture wide open.

My copy is model A10 for Nikon mount, made in Japan.

There seemed to be a lot of variance in reviews for this lens. Some said it is sharp other said it produce poor image quality. For around a $100 for a FX/DX compatible lens, I decided to give it a gamble and try. Well it turns out both may be right.

My copy had a great deal of back focus. Assuming for a moment that many copies also have back focus, people who don't review the lens focus calibration and trying these on camera's without Auto Focus Micro Adjustment would interpret the image quality as very soft. My had to be adjusted to -15 on Nikon's scale of +20 to -20. After that the clarity was very sharp even wide open. On my Full Frame D600, Top sharpness seems to be right around f11-f16. Distortion starts coming into play around after f16, f20 still is not too bad and probably worth the extra DOF.

Optical Vignetting occurs below 22mm when the aperture is wide open, stopping down the lens a few stop resolves this.

Jan 12, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add macD600 to your Buddy List
dwile38

Registered: Jul 24, 2008
Review Date: Aug 25, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Needed a wide angle for my 1D Mark II Found this lens in mint condition on Dallas Craigslist and very happy with. Great sharpness, color, and focussing speed for the price. Great lens and no issues at all. Wished all lenses at this price produced excellent results like the Tamron 19-35....
Cons:

Wide angle lens on a budget look no further than this gem. Love it.....

Aug 25, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dwile38 to your Buddy List
w4rmk

Registered: Mar 29, 2002
Review Date: Feb 27, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $109.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: Low price and great image quality
Cons:
Plastic construction, doesn't focus very close.

This is a great lens considering it's price range, it compares favorably with much more expensive wide angle lenses. I use this on my Nikon D700 and it has great color and sharpness. Don't under estimate what this lens can do just because of it's price. It's a shame that Tamron discontinued it, but they are pretty easy to find on the used market if you are key an eye out, they usually sell for about $75 to $150 depending on condition. I got mine in like-new condition in the original box for $109. Dollar for dollar you won't beat it for a wide angle lens on a full frame camera.

Feb 27, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add w4rmk to your Buddy List
piotrek636

Registered: Feb 10, 2011
Review Date: Feb 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp stopped, full frame
Cons:
Close focus, soft wide open

Used on Canon and Nikon. This is a very underestimated lens. I had one of these while ago with a Canon mount. I wasn't impressed with the sharpness at all. Might have been Canon's usual AF accuracy problem but after many tests I ended up returning the lens.

Later on when I switched to Nikon I decided to give this lens a try again. Image quality and sharpness seem to be very consistent this time. I found When stopped down to f11 / f14 this lens is quite amazing.

The only complains I have with this lens are: close focus range seems far, also because the best results are produced when lens is stopped down means you will have to crank up the ISO up not to get any camera shake or use tripod. Shooting with the lens on a sunny day is not a problem.

Feb 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add piotrek636 to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: CHEAP....Sharp wide open, small, AF is spot on...Image quality on the whole is as good as any other ultra wide I've used..ie 17-40, 16-35. It's an EF mount so you can mount on 1.6>1.3> and Full Frame bodies
Cons:
AF is slow, build is not so good, but hey, it has a metal mount and if it breaks you just grab another one for $150 and you're still $300-$400 cheaper than a 17-40L

I bought this after owning several 17-40L's and a few 16-35L's. I don't do a lot of landscape so I was a little tired of carying around a $700-$1200 lens that I use once every 2 months.
The image quality is excellent, and that's what I want. I could really care less about build and AF speed for my landscape lens. Although, build isn't horrible and AF speed isn't that slow (I've used slower) It reminds me a lot of the Tamron 28-75.

I noticed some CA wide open....But not as bad as some of my L-primes....Stop it down 1 stop and the CA goes away.
This lens is a STEAL.......if you're like me and you don't use an ultrawide zoom too often...grab one, if you can find one.

Here's some shots wide open at 19mm and 35mm with 100% crops. I think you'll be surprised...As I was Smile

Jul 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Sep 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $164.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unbeatable BEST BUY Lens;Made in Japan;Sharpness and extreme good colours and overall usefullness,i find this a very useable tool on my NIKON D3 FF camera and use this 19-35 mm Lens evey day on asignements and is very satiesfied with the product whatever the name is Phoenix , Vivitar , Tamron,and other company who label their name proudly on this pearl.
Cons:
Hmm almost none..but some vignetting at 19-24 mm (you can correct this in PS),the corners is not supersharp but for 164 USDits unbeatable.

This little angel has been a very much surprise to me in an positive excellent way, i have used this little baby on my Nikon D3 for pro work with very good results and im very satiesfied w sharpness , colours and alike.
It has some spectaculars colours in it! on par with L lenses(canon) and ED lenses (nikon).

I have tried and bought this version made by a company named Phoenix which i never have heard of before and on the box it is stamped ; Made In Japan,and so is the Nikon D3 ! ,the pricer differ is enourmously between the twoproducts ,but the quality of this lensjewel is fantastic,they go very well together!

well,i have compared this with a sharp version of the Canon 17-40 L ,and the differ was in my opinion almost none, if visible at all. -Isnt that great?

I have now ordered this for my new Canon 5D2 as i have sold my 17-40 (not needed more as it is FF) and look forward to recieve it in the hope that the 19-35 mm is as sharp as the Nikon version i own.

My advice is ;Go and buy it before they stop the production of the Tammy,Phoenix,Vivitar whatever brand 19-35 mm lens!

Sep 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
roman_t

Registered: May 12, 2008
Location: Kazakhstan
Review Date: May 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $140.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: cheap, light, nice contrast and sharpness, real fun at full-frame when 19mm wide
Cons:
built quality, CA and distortion.

i got it for architecture/indoor shots exclusively but it was fun shooting people in club and local rock band performance.
it has problems at ff camera but not that cant be corrected with pp.
but if you are serious to architecture - buy smthing serious like TS-24mm or 16-35L.

May 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add roman_t to your Buddy List
hedredm

Registered: Dec 31, 2004
Review Date: Jun 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: pretty sharp, light, small.
Cons:
build quality isn't spectacular, feels flimsy at times, slighty loud AF

I bought this lens when I just started digital photography, a little more than a year ago. It has served me well, and many of my favorite photos were taken with this lens.

Just today, I went to the camera store to upgrade to the Canon 17-40L f/4 lens, which is about 5 times the cost of this lens. I came home, and did some tests to compare the 17-40L against this lens. I expected night and day differences in terms of sharpness and image quality, but much to my disappointment (and anger), the L lens was only better in certain respects. Center sharpness was basically the same between the two lenses. The L lens has better edge sharpness, but you would really have to be pixel peeping to even see it. You might notice some small different if you blew up your pictures to poster size prints, but otherwise, you wouldn't. Can you tell I'm really disappointed in the L lens?

In summary, if you're just starting out, and you want a good lens to take good pictures with, stick with this lens. Just don't expect fantastic build, or silent focusing and you'll be perfectly happy with this lens.

Jun 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hedredm to your Buddy List
digitalpins

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I love the quality of the photos both indoor and outdoor shots are great.t.
Cons:

Very good lens for the price.

Oct 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add digitalpins to your Buddy List
a123

Registered: Jan 18, 2006
Review Date: Aug 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $106.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low cost, great colors, sharp, and...did I mention it's cheap?
Cons:
Build, feels like a cheap lens, zoom ring is a little loose.

I love this lens for shooting groups or indoor close shots. It's been great to have for getting up close at parties and other indoor, low light scenes. I've been very happy with this lens, especially for the price!

Aug 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add a123 to your Buddy List
Friendly

Registered: Feb 24, 2006
Review Date: Jun 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Optical Quality, Light weight
Cons:
Build Quality

My copy of this lens is pin sharp edge to edge, colour contrast is punchy and the greens are supurb. On the down side, it is prone to flare from strong light sources, the build quality is poor with quite a bit of movement in the lens barrel.
This lens is a steal at the going price, the images I'm capturing with it are supurb and to me thats the bottom line.

Jun 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Friendly to your Buddy List
kritanat

Registered: Jun 6, 2006
Review Date: Jun 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Low price and Light weight
Cons:
build quality

" You get what you Paid "

It is low price and the quality you will get is good for that price.

my 2cents is... if you expect high buy 17-40 4.0L or some 16-35 2.8L

Otherwise buy it and be happy with it

Jun 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kritanat to your Buddy List
hewcanon

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent colours and contrast
Cons:
Hunts a bit for focus in dimmer light

This is an excellent lens. I bought it to complement my other Canon lenses 28-105mm, 50mm, 70-300mm, at the wider angle, for my Canon 10D. I couldn't justify the price for the Canon wide angles and I was not disappointed. I shot about 200 photos within 3 hours, of cityscape and lanscape with blue sky and sunshine, and was completely struck by the colours, sharpness and contrast of this lens. None of my other Canon's produced such colour. This must be Tamron's best hidden secret, as the 50mm f1.8 is Canon's.

Came with a free Hoya UV 77mm filter and petal hood, making the lens itself probably around 95 GBP + its accessories totaling 145 GBP for the whole kit. It is FANTASTIC.

On the negative side, it doesn't feel like a Canon build, it is no USM so focus is not as quick, and it hunts a bit for focus, especially in dimmer light. However as a landscape/cityscape lens you don't need the extra quick focusing. Indoors it needs good light for focusing and a pretty good flash to give good results.

Feb 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hewcanon to your Buddy List
Sharkin

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price & Build
Cons:
None Yet!

Although I've only had this lens a few days, I'm impressed!

It was bought as a replacement for my 18-55 Canon kit lens. I should have bought this lens months ago.

It's sharp across all fields, with great color and contrast. The included petal-type hood is an added bonus. Sometimes it hunts a bit when focusing, but thats a minor quibble.

Let's get one thing straight, like most have said before me, this is NOT a "L" series lens. Nor is it intended to be. It performs well with or without flash. Indoors or out.

For the price point, it should be strongly considered.

Oh, did I mention that I'm getting a $30 rebate too?

Peace, love, and chicken fat,

Jeff

Feb 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sharkin to your Buddy List
chavallos

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Location: Russia
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Build Quality, Hood & Pouch
Cons:
None for Price

I am people photographer, and intend to use this lens for street and travel photography (which I do very little). I took about 100 landscape shots, some nigh photography. It is an entry level lens, and you cannot compare it with 17-40 f/4L simple because it's 4-5 times cheaper. But it delivers excellent value for money. It's like Canon 50mm 1.8 does the same (in my opinion with better cost/values ratio). The build quality is very good, much better then 50mm 1.8 -:) And it comes with free hood (and probably pouch, which I did not get it, because bought it used, I got UV filter instead).

The bottom line for this lense.
* Excellent cost/performance ratio
* Good for entry/amateur level photographers
* Good for me, because I use it 20 times a year to take 200-300 shots

Jan 30, 2006