Canon EF 35mm f/2

131 376975 Dec 21, 2016
8.8
ef35mmf2_1_

Fast 35mm wide-angle lens. With a minimum focusing distance of only 0.8 ft. (25cm), you can approach the subject closer and still obtain a more natural wide-angle effect. You can even obtain good background blur for portraits.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

binho

Registered: Jun 3, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Sep 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, size, weight, price.
Cons:
this is really not a problem, but the focus is a little bit slow and noisy.

this is a great lens. very nice from f2-22. at least on my D30, i saw very little difference between wide-open to f8-11. sharp pictures, no noticeable barrel-distorcion (at least on a 1.6 crop, but this lens does not appears on those correction plug-ins. the 35mm L yes...). a very nice lens to walk-around, but its on the edge for me. any milimiters more and wouldn´t be good. and in a really good price for the quality.

Sep 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add binho to your Buddy List
JL77

Registered: Dec 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast, light, small, useful focal length. price
Cons:
noisy AF, no USM, but not really a big deal.

This is a great lens to have.

Aug 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JL77 to your Buddy List
asams10

Registered: Jul 21, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, light weight, compact.
Cons:
Build Quality seems flimsy.

Noisy motor? I upgraded from Pentax. This lens is much faster focusing and about the same noise signature. I found this lens to be a great prime. I'd rather have a better build qualtiy to go along with the optical quality. One thing I did was add a 52mm-55mm step-up ring. The plastic threads on the front of the lens bothered me and I've got a circular polarizer always on the ready-alert. What would I do different? Why not a USM version of this lens with full-time Manual override?

Jul 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add asams10 to your Buddy List
benpaul67

Registered: May 29, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpest lens I own below f/2.8. Wide open, its 20 times sharper than the 35mm f/1.4 (I got) wide open. Much sharper than my 85mm f/1.8 wide open by quite a bit too. Much much sharper than my 50 f/1.4 wide open. Sharpness changess very little with aperature.
Cons:
Feels cheap (is cheap). Prone to flare, but for a low light lens, for use at f2, its the best I've seen. Did I say prone to flair? Not as contrasty as a properly constructed and QC'd L lens. Excellent sharpness but it would need mo/ mo betta' coatings to be a Leica.

Jul 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add benpaul67 to your Buddy List
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Jun 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $220.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price and the size.
Cons:
noisy motor is my real only complaint.

Great lens for walking around with. Color, contrast and sharpness are very nice for the price of the lens. I am amazed at times on the sharpness wide open, while NOT razor sharp it still has more then enough to work with. Stopped down a notch or two and the lens really shines. My lens has very little CA wide open.

This lens with a USM motor and CMF would be very nice. For the price a great buy!

Jun 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
afred

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $232.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, wide aperture. Sharp lens, even at f/2
Cons:
Loud focus, hunts sometimes...

The 35mm f/2 lens from canon is a great lens to ad to anyone's collection. The focal length works well on 1.6x cameras. This lens has a few drawbacks though. The focus ring is somewhat high pitched, and the focus may be a little slow in low contrast areas. But shooting at f/2 and f/2.8 are where this lens shines. It makes a great lens to bring to the neighborhood BBQ party, and just an overall nice focal length to use. The build on this lens is quite decent as well.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add afred to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, cheap
Cons:
None for the price but maybe build quality.

Bought this one second hand. The EF35 f2 along with my EF50 f1.4 have become my indoor portrait lenses of choice on my 20D. The EF 35 is a great little lens for those tight shots indoors. Do not be put off by reports of buzzy motors. First time, it is strange but you hardly ever notice again. I use the lens for street photography too. Picture quality has been great. Even when shooting high ISO with my 20D at very low ligh music gigs. Have felt I needed the 35L and extra stop but for the price of the EF 35 f2, Im not complaining too much at all :-)

Only reason I did not give this lens a 10 rating is because of the build quality and I've used the 35L which totally rocks and would beat most lenses hands down.

Jun 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jazzy17 to your Buddy List
Gorham

Registered: Jun 1, 2002
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $220.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, lightweight; metal mount. Has become my 'normal' lens with my 1D and its 1.3x multiplier. Images are good.
Cons:
AF is a tad slow but one gets used to it. Small filter size. Wish it were USM and 1.8. :)

This lens has become my 'normal' lens with 1.3x multiplier DSLRs. I like what it does and it's plenty light weight. Good in low light situations but I'd rather it were f/1.8 and had USM. At the same pricepoint of course! :>

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gorham to your Buddy List
fStopJojo

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Apr 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice and small, pretty fast lens, acceptable sharpness wide open, gets sharper and sharper from f2.2 and on, fairly fast AF, excellent on a 1.6x SLR, good 9.6" min focus distance.
Cons:
Infamous "wasp in a matchbox" AF noise (but you get used to it), not much else to complain about.

I'm very pleased with my copy. The focus is "bang-on", arguably the best focusing lens of all my lenses (in terms of accuracy). Sharpness is acceptable-to-good wide open, and only gets better stopped down. By f2.8 it is very sharp. Good colors and contrast. Great lens to have, period. See some of my test shots here: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/primestest

Apr 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fStopJojo to your Buddy List
mudlake

Registered: Nov 22, 2002
Posts: 1921
Review Date: Mar 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $219.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, fast, sharp
Cons:
none.

I purchased this last week for a family shoot that I knew it would be perfect for. After shooting 200 frames with this lens, I can tell you that it will be on my 10D the vast majority of the time now. It is extremely sharp at f2.8 and smaller and very sharp at f2.

The close-focusing feature is just a bonus. Autofocus is fast enough for my purposes and the high-pitched whine of the motor isn't any problem (stuff like that doesn't bother me as long as a lens is sharp and colorful and focuses fast). Contrast is nice too and I like the colors. The focal lenght on a 10D is just perfect - not too long and not too short. Canon has a winner in this fine little lens.

Mar 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mudlake to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Mar 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small size, sharp, cheap
Cons:
buzzy focusing, can't refocus in auto mode (need to switch to manual)

A good prime lens. Not spectacular but a useful length on a 1.6x crop (used mainly for social & general work). 'Buzzy' but accurate focusing and a shame one cannot refocus manually at all in auto mode but a good buy nonetheless and will be used a lot on my new 20D. Useful distance scale. Glad I bought it.

Mar 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
Gossamer266

Registered: Dec 1, 2004
Review Date: Mar 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, very very sharp. Also fast aperture at F2. Light.
Cons:
Rather noisy when focussing.

I purchased this lens after having purchased my Digital Rebel with the kit lens, as well as a 50/1.8, 24-85/3.5-4.5 and borrowing my brother's 75-300.

The 35/2 is the sharpest of the lot by quite a measure (beats the 50/1.8). It is light and is rapid to focus though the buzzing sound it makes may bother some.

I would say the only thing that makes me rate it a 9 rather than the 10, is though it is perfectly sharp and effective for using available light indoors, the saturation is slightly lower than on my 24-85. Obviously this can be improved in post-editing.

Oddly, though, ever since I have purchased it, I keep popping off the 24-85 and popping on the 35/2. Perhaps I am becoming a primes person (though the same didn't happen with the 50/1.8 of which my copy seems to not be too sharp).

Mar 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gossamer266 to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: small, lightweight, cost effective lens
Cons:
soft at f2...comes good between 2.8 and 4...after that it rocks.

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
giantsuper

Registered: Nov 9, 2004
Review Date: Jan 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $202.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I may have a good copy, but this lens is super sharp stopped down and has acceptable sharpness even wide open. It compares favorably with my 24-70L. Definitely as sharp as the L at F2.8.
Cons:
Focusing is loud and tinny.

Jan 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add giantsuper to your Buddy List
jbd1

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Perfect focal length on a 300D/10D/20D to replace a 50mm lens on a film camera. f/2 is good for low light. Nice sharp pictures. Lens is cheap, small.
Cons:
Noisy to focus compared to USM lenses.

Jan 22, 2005