Canon EF 35mm f/2

131 376998 Dec 21, 2016
8.8
ef35mmf2_1_

Fast 35mm wide-angle lens. With a minimum focusing distance of only 0.8 ft. (25cm), you can approach the subject closer and still obtain a more natural wide-angle effect. You can even obtain good background blur for portraits.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

mad2

Registered: Mar 6, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredibly sharp when stopped down a little. Very compact and light weight. Good standard focal length with 1.6x crop factor.
Cons:
Buzzy auto focus, especially the first time you use it. Nothing else. Dated but in an 80's retro cool sort of way.

When I first used this lens, I was amazed at how Canon had managed to make it so noisy. I had known to expect it but was still surprised. What I'll also say is that, much like a ticking clock, you soon don't notice it, especially outdoors. Do not let it put you off buying one of these.

The virtues of this lens more than make up for the occasional buzz. It is small, light and cheap but is a real gem in terms of image quality, particularly its sharpness. F2 is good enough for indoor use without flash, anything above and is snaps into pin-sharpness.

It really is so good that you'll need something else pretty good to justify swapping lenses, even when a zoom is required. One reason not to bother is that it keeps your SLR about as light and compact as it can be and ideal for travelling.

It has become my walkabout lens on a 350D. If you require a zoom, you'll need a 17-40 F4L or 16-35 F2.8L to match or better this. Until you can afford one, use the foot zoom, it's more involving and kinda fun anyway.

If you were limited to just one lens, you'd have no complaint if it were this one. It opens up the possibility for everyone to own at least one good lens and shows just how bad the kit item is. Highly recommended.

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mad2 to your Buddy List
canonlight

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice maximum aperture, Very good sharpness wide open and excellent by f2.8, Small and lightweight, Fast and accurate AF, Minimum focusing distance a boon for up close and personal shots, Good price.
Cons:
Noisy "wasp in a matchbox" AF, Tends to hunt in low-light, MF ring very small, Build construction could be better, HOOD NOT INCLUDED (my gripe with Canon).
Feb 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonlight to your Buddy List
twistedlim

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Feb 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast, sharp, accurate focus
Cons:
none within the limits of the lens

This lens is very sharp at all aperatures. Color and contrast are adequate wide open and geatly improve as the lens is stopped down. The auto focus is very accurate and usually a miss is my fault. At the price and weight of the lens everyone should have one stuffed in their bag. A favorite for indoor low light shooting at family get togethers.

Feb 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twistedlim to your Buddy List
Califfoto

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light lens, Excellent optical, takes great portraits and landscapes
Cons:

This is by far my favorite lens.
Although I am a little bit frustrated with the 1.6 conversion factor of my Canon 300D (which gives me a tighter field of ~ 56mm), I still use it a lot for my landscape shots: http://califoto.my-expressions.com/archives/2186_1665899495/97681

The f/2 aperture is quite bright and great for portraits

Overall, I use this lens each time I don't want to carry too much weight and still have the options to switch from one extreme (landscape) to another (close-up shots).

Here are other examples of Street Photography in Dominican Republic with this lens:

Dec 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Califfoto to your Buddy List
scooterzz

Registered: Dec 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great sharpness, inexpensive, good build.
Cons:
Would love to see USM on this lens. AF loud & obnoxious.

I use this as my primary lens. Brilliant sharpness & contrast, only softening just slightly wide-open.

I tested this lens carefully with a borrowed 35 f1.4L, and darned if I can see any difference in the resulting photos that's worth an extra grand. Stopped-down to f4 or so, I couldn't tell which lens produced which image.

The only thing to dislike is the "buzzing hornet" focus geartrain; this lens positively cries out for an update to USM.

Overall, this is pretty close to the best $200 I ever spent, photo-wise.

Dec 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scooterzz to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $237.93 | Rating: 9

Pros: Works in low light very cheap to buy sharp nice colors about 50 mm scope on my digital rebel
Cons:
autofocus hunts sometimes in low light on my rebel

I love this lens takes great pictures is light and cheap at
$237 I am very happy with this lens and iis ability to take pictures in low light is great.

Dec 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
bitflogger

Registered: Dec 12, 2005
Review Date: Dec 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $229.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A pleasant surprise - a bargain, quality images, and gives close to the 50mm equiv I grew up with and speed my zooms to not have. People who see the images are also impressed. Seems to focus fast in spite of the noise.
Cons:
Clearly not L or "SSC" (my old FD vintage) build, but hardly a complaint when you can buy and break a number of these for the price of many lenses. The lens is noisy compared to the 3 USM-types I have.

Bottom line: Proof that spending a lot usually means diminishing returns. A perfect complement to my slower and longer lenses, and an extremely useful item for my film and 1.6 crop bodies. Again, rather amazing considering how much one can pay for a lens.

Dec 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bitflogger to your Buddy List
kalliljas

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: light, small, sharp wide open, very usable focal length, reasonable price
Cons:
loud! no USM (slow focus), crappy and expensive lens hood

I have this lens on my camera most of the time. I bought it with the lens hood and an UV filter for $200 in Nagoya, Japan. That's a bargain! I agree with many users that the biggest problem with this lens is that it's too loud. For the price it should have been USM.

Nov 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kalliljas to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small,light, filter size F stop.(did I mention SHARP???)
Cons:
Hood is a bit fiddly to put on and remove in the cold.

I use this lens on FF(mk1ds/mk2ds and now 5D) Could there be a cheap lens on FF to satisfy an ex Leica m user?? Yes! and this is the lens. Now I`m not saying that this is as good as a Leica M lens (what is) but as far as Canon digital cameras are concerned they don`t produce results any better.
It is usuable wide open but of course stopped down to f8 or 11 where I use WA lenses is where it comes into it`s own. Other than the mention above about the tricky hood(the harder you press the more the hood distorts) and if you don`t press the tabs hard enough it won`t come off) I really can`t fault this lens. I know that QC and compatibility with a camera plays a big part so maybe it won`t be as good for you but on the above mentioned three cameras it really is as good as it gets. I`d like to think that there is a real WA lens out there that would perform as good as this does but even my good copy Sigma 20 1.8 doesn`t do it like this baby. I believe that the image content comes first and then the quality but this lens can turn an image with good contenet into a winner.Anyone in the market for a 35mm lens should give this a try. BTW, don`t expect L build, it`s more like my 50 1.8 but what the heck.

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
chromafile

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Nov 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Ergonomics, sharpness, large maximum apeture.
Cons:
Cheap feeling focusing ring, noise.

The small size and light weight make this lens a pleasure to use on a 1.6fov camera.

Nov 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chromafile to your Buddy List
thw2

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $210.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very light-weight, Sharp, Excellent contrast and colors
Cons:
Noisy autofocus (buzzzzzz)

I had some issues with the lens when I first got it: terrible, terrible resolution. Sent it in for repair. Came back sharp but one corner was blurry. So I sent it in for repair a second time. This time, it came back super sharp with excellent autofocus (but still noisy). Couldn't be happier.

So, if you can get a good copy, it's a remarkable lens for its price. 35 mm is great on an APS-C camera.

Nov 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thw2 to your Buddy List
skatamacf

Registered: Nov 9, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small & Light, Sharp, Fast, Excellent Price to Performance Ratio
Cons:
Doesnt bother me but - AF motor makes BUZZ noise.

I gave this a 10/10 for the following reasons:

Primarily because for the average price these go for there are no real defects that effect the image quality like CA, softness etc. If i was to compare it to other lenses like the 30mm f1.4 Sigma i might rank that higher in terms of performance but it is about 2.5-3x the price here in AUS. So keep that in mind.

I really like this lens because its a great "walkaround" prime. It light, small, sharp and fast - f2. I do find it to be a great focal length and perhaps alot more appropriate for walkaround than the 50mm f1.8. The 50 is still a sensational lens but in terms of being able to just walk around with one lens this could be great for street shooting and indoors/low light in closer spaces. I like that its black and small, definately not intimidating especially when chucked on the 350D.

Overall i cannot pick a fault on it that matters enough to remove any points from it. It does whats its primary purpose is very well, its sharp and fast. The buzzing AF motor doesnt affect me in anyway.

Again i based my conclusions on buying 2nd hand and not brand new.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skatamacf to your Buddy List
scrambledfigs

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, great colors, very light, positively tiny.
Cons:
Not quite the same matte black color as my 350D. Really, though, none so far.

I got this lens for my Rebel XT as a standard 50mm eqivalent. Makes the XT look like a snub-nosed 38. It's a fantastic lens for the money—very clear, contrasty and great in low light. It's also a great focal length for 1.6 FOVC cameras, about as close as you can get to the gold standard 50mm.

It's a bit buzzy, sure, but it's not a bad sound. Reminds me of a robot. Focus ring isn't perfectly smooth in MF. Keep in mind that I'm being really persnikety. Overall, it's a fantastic lens and I think it's going to stay on my camera for a while.

Next purchase is probably going to be the EF-S 17-85mm f.4-5.6 IS USM. . . Unless Canon makes a 17-85mm f/2.8 IS USM. . . Please. . .

-Dustin Driver

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add scrambledfigs to your Buddy List
gullevek

Registered: Oct 15, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: small, sharp, cheap but comes with hood and puch, f2
Cons:
very noisy AF, slow AF, sometimes AF hunts on low light or plain colors

I was searching for a prime with a low f number that I can use in low light without flash. I was first drawn to the 50mm f1.8 because it is so cheap, but as I use an APC-S sensor, 50mm was too much zoom for me so I was choosing between the 28mm f1.8 usm and this one.

As the 28mm was double the price and I really didn't need fast USM for the purpose I wanted the lense, I went with the cheaper 35mm.

Until now I am very happy. I can go in very close to subjects (~25cm) and with the low f number I can take some amazing shots. It's truly one amazing lense, even for some walk-arounds.

I highly recommend this lense, because its cheap, sharp and is definitly worth to have.

Oct 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gullevek to your Buddy List
thp1

Registered: Mar 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $175.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, good color, f/2, small size, price
Cons:
Construction is a bit flimsy, and as others have mentioned, it's a bit noisy, but I can definitely live with these imperfections because of the end results and the price!

I recently purchased this great little lens used, and I am very happy with it! I take a lot of indoor photos of small groups of 2-10, and it has not let me down. On my 20D, the perspective is very nice for small groups. Sharpness is very acceptable at f/2, and it's excellent from f/2.2 on. When flash is needed, it works well with my 420EX. I find myself walking around with this on my camera most of the time now. It's so small and light that it makes my camera look very inobtrusive. You really can't go wrong with it.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thp1 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/2