Tamron 90MM F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 SP AF

53 196781 Jul 23, 2013
lens_1_

Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

Tamron introduces a new version of the famous 90mm macro lens for film and digital photography. Tamron's 90mm macro lens, often referred to as "the portrait macro" and loved by photographers all over the world, is now reborn as a Di lens that is perfect for use with both film and digital cameras.

Model 272E
Minimum Focus 11.4in.(0.29m)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:1
Filter Diameter ø55
Weight 405g (14.3oz)
Diameter x Length ø2.8 x 3.8in.
(ø71.5 x 97mm)
Accessory Lens hood, Case
Mount Canon, Minolta-D, Nikon-D, Pentax

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

Teru Kage

Registered: Oct 29, 2007
Review Date: Nov 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $295.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp. Nice Bokeh. Excellent value.
Cons:
Plasticky feel (but light because of this). The AF/MF push/pull switch takes getting used to. Not a constant f/2.8.

This is a review of the SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens 1:1

This is an excellent macro lens. Performance is great (even fantastic when considering the price) as is the image quality. Sharpness is never a problem.

Autofocus can hunt if you don't use the focus limiter, but I use mostly manual focus for macros anyways so it's not an issue for me. The push/pull design of the AF/MF switch may take getting used to, but after getting accustomed to it I've found that it makes perfect sense. When you don't want to take your eyes of off the subject, it's so much easier to grab the focus ring and push/pull then to seach for a switch at the side of the lens.

One caveat: the lens doesn't maintain a constant f/2.8 aperture. In fact, it can only maintain f/2.8 at near infinity. In most cases, f/3.3 is the largest I've been able to get. Not a problem for shooting marcos (which normally require f/8 or more) but something to keep in mind if you're thinking about using this lens for portraits (Tamron calls it the "Portrait Macro").

BTW, the photo of the lens shown above isn't the 90mm (I think it's actually the 200-500mm). For a picture of the 90mm, go to

Some samples for reference:

Nov 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teru Kage to your Buddy List
simon_nz

Registered: Jan 23, 2006
Review Date: Sep 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low price, OOF highlights, sharpness, weight,
Cons:
Awkward AF/MF switch, extends a long way at 1:1

Superb lens, very sharp, a joy to use, the AF/MF switch is a bit of a pain but you get use to it.

Everybody has told me getting used to a macro lens takes a bit of work, but I have found this lens to be tremendous. Would recommend it highly, disappointed i didn't buy it earlier

Sep 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add simon_nz to your Buddy List
ghamden

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Sep 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent Lens for Macro and Potrait
Cons:

Superb Lens Don't le tthe low price fool you I use this lens on a Nikon D80 excellent IQ

Sep 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ghamden to your Buddy List
MichaelBarkley

Registered: Aug 17, 2007
Review Date: Aug 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness 1:1 Macro FAB Bokeh contrast f2.8 light
Cons:
some focus hunting

The best lens I own, without a doubt.

This will take the most stunningly sharp images you ever did see!

It will focus hunt somewhat, use the limiter when not shooting macro.

Its light, but feels sturdy.

See below image - this is a shot I made, I am certain better photographers will get better results.

If you want to shoot macro or portraits, there is no other option IMO.

Mike

Aug 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MichaelBarkley to your Buddy List
Chris Dana

Registered: Jun 28, 2007
Review Date: Aug 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $259.22 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to focus (when switched to manual), weight, sharpness of photos, good bokeh, excellent price
Cons:
hunts in low light.

I bought mine used a couple of months ago and it's been a absolute joy to use. The few problems I've had were all user-related. This lens doesn't leave my camera for very long anymore. Might be a bit much for an average walk-around, but as a macro it's absolutely amazing.

Aug 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Dana to your Buddy List
phili1

Registered: Dec 12, 2003
Review Date: Jul 12, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $399.00

Pros: Very Sharp/good focus/good feel/ easy to operate.
Cons:
A little noisy/sometimes hunts but not objectionable

For some reason my post did not appear.

I bought this lens for my portrait business and found it was a great Macro as well. I wanted a lens around 90 to 110 mm for facial distortion reduction. A lens smaller then 90mm has a tendency to make noses look longer. Anyway, I was interested in Canons 24 to 105 but in asking several pros, they thought it was a little soft. Sigmas 105 for some reason do not like canon cameras, so after reading reviews and seeing pictures I opted for the Tamron 90mm lens. My first pictures are sharper then my Canon 700 to 200L and my Tamron 28 to 75mm Lenses. My Macros as far as I am concerned are awsome ( althought I would prefer a Macro in the 150 to 180 range) and I am having fun with it.

If you want a good double duty lens this is the one.

Jul 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phili1 to your Buddy List
phili1

Registered: Dec 12, 2003
Review Date: Jul 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, easy to use, Solid feel, Easy switch from auto to manusl focus. No filter required as lens is recessed.
Cons:
A little noisy but not objectionable/ hunts once in a while other wise locks on.

I have been looking for a good portrait lens for my work and have used Canon's 70-200 and Tamrons 28 to 75 lenses, Tamrons winning in sharpness up close. I needed a lens around 90 to 110mm as they lessen feature exageration. I talked to and evaluated comments from some very good photographers about Canons 24 to 105 being a little soft, and Sigmas 105 not quiet up to par, so I was limited. I need a a Macro lens as well and would have prefered a 150 or 180, so I tried Tamrons 90mm F 2.8 DI Macro and was excited at the results I had gotten. Today I used it for my portraits and just down loaded the photos to light room to work on and found that they are very sharp and have reduced the exageration on noses and ears etc. It has performed like an L lens and I would recommend it to anyone. I have some macro shots on my web site that you can look at and in a week will post a portrait from it.

Jul 12, 2007
Shiva Shankar

Registered: May 2, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wonderful bokeh, fast under low light, glass buried deep inside so no flare issues, excellent portrait, awesome price
Cons:
Cant really think of any

Exceptional OOF blur and the lens is very sharp (although not as much as its cousin 17-50 tamron). The details within focus is excellent. Build quality is solid, without exceptional. Does not come with a tripod mount (I dont think it is required) like the picture illustrated here (in fact I think this is a picture of Tamron 200-500). It has focus limiter if needed. Excellent macro lens all-in-all and very highly recommended. A difference of just 4cm reach when compared to Sigma 150mm (which I feel is quite insignificant).

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Shiva Shankar to your Buddy List
Hans im Glueck

Registered: Dec 6, 2006
Review Date: May 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent picture quality,very sharp low price
Cons:
Built quality could be better ( looks, feels and sounds like plastic ). Bokeh is mediocre.

Excellent macro-lens for the money. I recommend it

May 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hans im Glueck to your Buddy List
Louis Otto

Registered: May 25, 2007
Review Date: May 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: SHARP, Recessed lens is its own lens shade, price
Cons:
Noisy AF, extending barrel, deceptive apertures

This lens is as sharp as they say it is, truly. There are a few issues with this, it reaches its peak at fairly too wide an aperture, which is uncommon for macro lenses, but I find that at f/11 its still sharp edge to edge and perfect.

The bokeh is outstanding, 9 blades really do make the difference. Background blur is creamy and smooth, better than expected.

Autofocus is slow, and sometimes hunts a little. But that's common for macro lenses. It's also pretty noisy, and at only 90mm, sometimes that scares your subject away.

I do like the manual/auto focus mechanism, I find it so much quicker than fiddling to find a little switch.

Also, the aperture of the lens is considered a f/2.8, and at infinity focus it is, but as you close in to 1:1 reproduction, the aperture stops down to f/5.6. So at 1:1 you will shoot at a max aperture of f/5.6. So if you were considering using this lens with a 2x teleconverter, it may just end up being f/11 max at 1:1 (not entirely sure about this one, someone else will have to elaborate)

Don't let the negatives put you down though, honestly this is in my opinion the best macro lens I've used and I would honestly put it right beside the 105 VR Nikkor in quality.

May 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Louis Otto to your Buddy List
Marc Mondry

Registered: Apr 26, 2007
Review Date: May 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, image sharpness, color reproduction, capable of remarkable bokeh, useful AF/manual focus clutch mechanism, light weight
Cons:
Build quality is poor compared to other lenses, but this is compensated somewhat by the weight of the lens, loud, slow autofocus that searches in low light

I love this lens. It is the only non-Canon L series lens in my bag, but is the one that is mounted on my camera the most.

Positively, the quality of images it produces is excellent--the colors are brilliantly reproduced and true to the subject; it is capable of fantastic background blur; and images are tack sharp at all aperture settings. Image quality, for the price, cannot be beaten.

Negatively, the autofocus is loud and slow (compared to Canon's USM lenses) and it has a tendency to hunt, particularly in low light and close macro mode. The build quality is also not top of the line.

Still, regardless of price the positives far outweigh the negatives. Given the price, this lens is one of the best out there in my opinion.

May 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Marc Mondry to your Buddy List
Rahul Rangan

Registered: Jan 7, 2007
Review Date: Mar 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ridiculously sharp, cool and accessible AF/MF switch, light, small, reccessed front element.
Cons:
AF is VERY loud and slow. feels very 'plasticky' but hey, for the weight i can't complain.

My first macro lens and I am VERY happy with it. The only problem I have is the loud and slow AF. The handy AF/MF switch helps though. Just take it as best as you can in MF, then switch to AF and let it fine tune the shot. It's a GREAT lens and I'm so happy I bought it.

Mar 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rahul Rangan to your Buddy List
_Mike_D

Registered: Nov 27, 2006
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, descent wide open performance, very useful focal length
Cons:
doesn't feel like a $450 lens. I find the dual focus system to be more annoying than useful.

This is probably my most used lens. I do use it for macro shooting occasionally, but I find myself wanting to use it for everything that will fit in the frame. It is a superb lens at a good price.

The build quality isn't quite as good as the Sigma 105mm macro, but I find the 90mm focal length to be more useful. Also, it is lighter than the Sigma, which is a good thing.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens to anyone looking for a ~100mm lens (macro or otherwise.)

Pictures I have taken with this lens:

Jan 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add _Mike_D to your Buddy List
Chris Langer

Registered: Sep 4, 2006
Review Date: Dec 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Light,
Cons:

Very nice lens for the price. I bought this because of all the great reviews that are posted here. If you buy this you get an inexpensive but GREAT quality lens that produces amazing pictures. The lens even performs better on the D200.. I see a difference between my D50 and D200.. Very good macro lens for beginner or expert!

Dec 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Langer to your Buddy List
hris Towerton

Registered: Oct 24, 2006
Review Date: Oct 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 1:1 Macro, F2.8, Portrait suitability
Cons:
Lens extends when focusing, Auto focus disengage on the lens requires my Pentax *ist D body to be switched to manual as well.

These were the pre-purchase reasons I personally decided to buy this lens:

· I wanted a lens with good close focusing ability.

· It was well priced when compared with the Sigma AF 105mm F2.8 EX Macro, around 1/3 cheaper.

· With only basic kit, I had decided to upgrade to middle-of-the-road zoom lenses. Image quality was OK with these lenses, but I wanted to buy at least one good prime lens for portraits. This 90mm lens was a better match when cropped on my Pentax *istD, coming in at 135mm, where as the Sigma is closer to 160mm.

· It cast a full frame image circle (making it more future proof and able to be shared with my film based camera).

· It had a manually selectable aperture ring (backwards compatible with my old SLR).

· It has a non-rotating front element, making it more filter friendly.

My assessment after 12 months of use:

THIS LENS IS A PEACH! Mine is a “Di” version (Digitally Integrated, meaning that it has extra coatings to reduce internal reflections from the sensor). Pretty much every positive observation made by reviewers about this lens is true. It is terrific for portraits, with sharp images that still somehow retain a lovely “feel” and good bokeh. This is the best lens in my bag. Shooting on the same day under the same conditions, changing lenses on the same body, results from this lens are easily recognisable.

Its 1:1 macro ability delivers great outcomes. The best photo in my collection belongs to this lens, it is of a bee, hand held with a hot shoe flash. Finding the “sweet” spot when manual focusing can be a problem on some lenses, particularly where close focusing may impede natural light, but again this lens does an exceptional job; that said it can be a little frustrating when very close using a tripod, as the lens barrel extends out when focusing.

Build quality is fine, it is “plasticky” but on my budget, so is every other lens in my possession. Its external indicators are clear and the brushed gold markings look classy. The lens cap holds and releases well, much less likely to come off in my bag than some other designs. The manual focus ring is smooth but as a consequence of the large “sweet” spot discussed above, it takes an eternity to get from macro to infinity. A “Limiting” switch on the side of the lens remedies this when auto focusing. One frustration (at least on my Pentax *istD) is that the focus ring is designed to disengage from AF to allow quick manual override, but manual focus cannot be achieved unless my Pentax body itself is taken off AF. The front element is recessed around 50mm into the lens, protecting it and negating the need to use a lens hood for flare control.

CONCLUSSION

I am generally reluctant to emphatically endorse any one particular product, preferring people weigh up their own needs and suitability, but with this lens I take exception. If you are looking for a non-dedicated macro lens of this focal length, THIS IS THE LENS FOR YOU!

Oct 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hris Towerton to your Buddy List
nautilass

Registered: Mar 30, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, great colour
Cons:

Beautiful lens, it is sharper than my Canon 70-200mm L. Of course the build is not as robust but for the price I'm not complaining. Highly recomend it.

Oct 7, 2006