Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 249775 May 2, 2012
8.8
2875mm

Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your
photographic horizons.

Model A09
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 14/16
Angle of View 75-32
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus 0.33m (13") (entire zoom range)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:3.9 (at 75mm)
Filter Diameter 67
Mount Canon, Minolta, Nikon-D, Pentax

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

seanmclennan

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp. Fast. Focus lock. Good lens hood. No surprizes.
Cons:
Plastic body. Slightly slower AF performance compared to a Canon L lens. Noisy AF compared to USM lenses.

This is the first lens I bought for my transition to digital about 1.5 years ago. It rocks.

It's a fast 2.8...perfect coverage for my 20D. Love the hood. It goes on easy and snaps perfectly in place. (wish my 70-200 2.8 L's hood would do that..I hate that hood)

I've shot over 75,000 shots on my 20D...at least 45,000 were with this lens. It performs. Period. I don't get false focus locks. I don't get excessive AF hunting..even in low light.

It's been man-handled and put in dangers way more than once. Caught by a flying hockey stick and clipped by a puck. Hit once with a soccer ball...and dropped twice from 2 feet onto carpeted floor.

I was impressed when I bought it...and a year and a half later, I really am still impressed with it.

Feb 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add seanmclennan to your Buddy List
bushwacker

Registered: Jun 11, 2005
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Pin sharp @ f/4.0 to f/22
Cons:
extremely soft and unusable @ f/2.8, f3.2 & f/3.5!!!

=================
Here's my review
=================

Been using this lens for a year on a 20D body.

==========
Optics:
==========

28mm @ f/2.8 to f/22 = excellent sharpness

50mm @ f/2.8 to f/3.5 = SOFT & unusable!!!

60mm @ f/2.8 to f/3.5 = SOFT & unusable!!!

75mm @ f/2.8 to f/3.5 = SOFT & unusable!!!

From f/4.0 to f22.00 at all focal length, it has an excellent sharpness nice bokeh even at f/4.0.

You wonder how sharp? if you have a CANON 50mm 1.8 @ f/2.8 that's what you get with this Tamron at f/4.0 all the way to f/22.

At f/2.8 to f/22 settings this lens shines only at 28mm ALL SHARP!!!

as for all focal lengths f/4.0 is your best bet!!! wider than that you'll get soft unusable images--except for 28mm.

============

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bushwacker to your Buddy List
ukcolin

Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: I liked the size and weight of the lens. My copy was sharp right through to f/2.8. The build quality was acceptable.
Cons:
My copy would not focus correctly on my Canon 300D body. Returned to the shop.

If this lens had focused correctly it would have been excellent. My copy though was unusable due to focus problems. If you go for this lens make sure the shop will allow you to return it. This would not be a lens to buy where you have no right of return.

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ukcolin to your Buddy List
Bonjour43MA

Registered: Nov 1, 2005
Review Date: Dec 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast aperture, good build quality for a consumer-grade zoom lens, price, reasonably fast AF, SHARP (when you get a good copy). light compared to other lenses in the same zoom range.
Cons:
1st copy was bad and had to go back to the store to get a 2nd copy - poor quality control on Tamron's part, not AF-S, wish it was a bit wider, color's a bit warm so use Pre-WB instead.

Again with the quality control issue that's been associated with this lens, Tamron REALLY needs to have this figured out or they'll scare all the potential customers away.

Bought the lesn based on glowing reviews on this site and on some photog sites, I kinda knew there was a good chance that I might have to do a few more runs to the store to get a good copy and unfortunately that's what happend.

1st copy was soft at f2.8, overexposed everything and the hood was too tight to put it on smoothly. Took it back to the store and tried out another copy and immediately I saw the difference between the two, even the sales clerk was surpirsed at how big of a difference it was.

Did some more tests after I got home and wow, the "good" copy totally blew my mind as to how sharp the images were. I compared them to the ones taken with the Nikkor 50 f1.8 (known for its sharpness and low price as well), and what do you know, they're SO close that you couldn't tell them apart if it wasn't for the warmer color of the Tamron glass.

Overall I'm very happy with this lens but for potential buyers - beware that you might have to go through a few copies to find a good one, or you migt have to ship it back to Tamron for re-calibration.

Highly recommended for its low price, great sharpness, excellent optics and reasonably fast AF - but only if you get a good copy Smile

Dec 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bonjour43MA to your Buddy List
cliftonbean

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Review Date: Dec 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $240.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great Sharpness,Good range,best lens for the money
Cons:
not L lense,not much more to complain about

Can't complain much about this lens. It is great took it on a spin last week at a college Graduation. this lens performed great even in low lighting situations. Blew up alot of 8x10 prints of my neice all a can say is WOW!!!!! the colors were right on and the sharpness was unheard of for a non L lense
Very happpy with this one,stays on my 350D all the time

Dec 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cliftonbean to your Buddy List
sa45731

Registered: Aug 26, 2005
Review Date: Dec 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at 2.8, VERY SHARP from 4.0, Small, Lightweight, 67mm filter - I can share the filters with my Sigma 18-50 EX DC
Cons:
Slowish low light focus, Hood could have been stronger, rear lens cap aligns only at one point (minor)

I wanted to go for the new 24-105 L but could not wait, so bought this lens thinking that I could sell this after I buy the L. The 24-105 L is still not in stock in Germany. But even if it comes, I will not go for it easily since I have a stellar Tamron 28-75.

I also have a Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 EX. I use the Sigma as an indoor zoom and my Tammy as my outdoor zoom lens. While I tested my Tammy indoors in low light at 2.8, there was significant focus hunting. But rest of it was fine Good colors, acceptable sharpness and good contrast. At 4.0 my lens performs very well. Tack Sharp. The sharpest is my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX, followed by the Tammy and then the Sigma 18-50, with a hairline difference between Tammy and Sigma.

HSM would be a nice to have (especially after I used my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX)

I have heard that there are QC issues with this lens. But mine on the first try, no less (touch wood), works well with my 350D. Even if you get a bad copy, don't worry, just send it out to Tamron for caliberation (mentioning your body) and when it comes back, you will see what I wrote here makes sense.

If this range suits your needs, you are not a snob, don't mind the lesser build quality compared to the L, on a budget, and don't mind a little focussing noise without ANY compromise on picture quality, go get this lens and keep shooting.

Highly recommended !

Dec 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sa45731 to your Buddy List
eeprete

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Dec 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness on par or better that competing lenses, price is excellent
Cons:
AF speed, warm color, build

One of the benefits of any 2.8 lens should be it's ability to work in a low light situation, however the 28-75 XR Di suffers from less than ideal AF speed. Outdoors this lens shines and can run circles around it's competitors, particularly if you are shooting portraits or weddings. However if you are planning on a lot of indoor shooting, you might think twice as it can be a bit difficult.

One of the other benefits of 2.8 should be the bokeh. This is one this leses crowning moments, having some nice BG blur, while being able to retain some nice crisp edges on the areas in focus, in the DOF. Sharpness on my copy was on par with both the 28-70 and 24-70L lenses.

Although the build quality is far from "L", it is decently manufactured, but it still remains to be seen how this may affect the long term investment aspect of this lens. At less than 1/2 or 1/3 the price of a Canon L lens, this lens really represents an excellent value, specifically if your on a budget.

If you are starting out and don't have a large budget, get the Tamron, however if you are a seasoned pro looking for a long term solution, get either of the Canon 2.8 L's.

Dec 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eeprete to your Buddy List
Simon S

Registered: May 20, 2005
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp throuout the zoom range Pin sharp at f3.5 ! Built well wirh nice smooth action Fast to focus
Cons:
Tamron need to sort out there QA issues to avoid damaging there reputation of making good lenses.

After droping my old Canon zoom from a chair and breaking off the zoom ring .it was time to buy a repalcment.
I have heard mixer reviews on this lens ,and was in two minds whether to buy it. So I set off to my local Camera shop (Park Cameras) with my 20D to try one out in the flesh.
Unfortunately when i got there it was raining and dull so a good test of the lens was not going to happen.
My first impression of this lens was how bright the viewfinder was in comparison to any of the other lenses i own. So I took a few shots in the shop at various settings and a few from the doorway of the shop.
Viewing on the screen of the camera is not ideal for testing lens sharpness but the shop had no way for me to view the images other than a photo printing machine that had a crappy tv monitor on it. The images seemed fairly sharp throughout the range of aperture settings I tried so the sale was made.
The following Sunday I took a trip to Brighton to give the new Tamron a workout. When I got home and downloaded the images to the PC ,I was staggered by how sharp and contrasty the results where. There is a slight fall off in edge sharpness wide open but I am not worried about this at all.

All I can say to potential buyers is try it first and buy the one that works with your camera. It is no good going to your local shop and testing this lens ,liking it and buying it somewhere else. This lens is very variable in quality and matching is vital.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Simon S to your Buddy List
mshill

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Review Date: Dec 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, Fast, Light, Sharp as a tack at f4
Cons:
Soft wide open.

I sold my Canon 28-135 IS for this lens. Took it on a shoot this evening on my Rebel XT. Indoors with flash, very nice shots at F4 and 1/60.

When I got Home I setup some test shots with my Canon 50mm/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8, and Sigma 70-200/f2.8. I found that at f4 and above the Tamron was as sharp as the 50mm prime at the same aperature. Wide open,at 2.8, the Tamron was quite soft at 28mm and 75mm, but at 50mm it was close to the 50mm prime.

At the same aperatures this lens is much better than the Canon 28-135. I basically traded the IS and extra range of the Canon lens for the faster/shorter Tamron and got a bit of sharpness at the same time. I have to admit that for the price I did not expect this lens to be as sharp as it is.

The lens isn't too heavy, but the plastic finish has a cheap feel to it when compared to the Canon 28-135 IS or the Sigma APO 70-200 EX. It is really too bad that we usually equate light weight with cheap build quality, cause I do not believe that this lens is built cheaply.

So far I like it. I will really need to take a lot more shots before I can comment of the contrast and color.

Dec 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mshill to your Buddy List
CrissX

Registered: Sep 29, 2004
Location: Romania
Review Date: Dec 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp after F4, light, good colors , solid build, AF fast enough, not so noise
Cons:
lens hood is a crap.. cheap plastic, and i miss the "L" red line :)

I really like this lens, perhaps i buyed a good copy, i get extremely sharp image when stoped down to f4, good white balance and nice colors.

Dec 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CrissX to your Buddy List
mttran

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lens Optical is the best and it is comparable with EF prime series
Cons:
Inconsistence AF in 28-50mm@all apperture - Required MFG re-calibration

Hold on - do not return your best lens - for those who has AF problem with this lens - There is a way to work around - either sending your lens back to have front focus calibration fixed (6-8 weeks) or before pushing the shutter - pushing to 75mm - haft depress shutter to AF - continue to hold on the shutter and zooming the lens back to desire position then complete the shutter. You will get 100% correct AF with mavelous optical performance of the lens this way. I find the lens performance is very much the same as EF 85mm f/1.8

This lens is just a fraction of L lens cost but its sharpness will out perform the 24-70L. Images just like in 3D if in AF.

Dec 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mttran to your Buddy List
otnemeM

Registered: May 17, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Dec 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Lightweight. If it's a flawless copy: sharpness and overall image quality comparable to Canon's "L" 24-70/2.8.
Cons:
AF struggles in low light, AF speed "so so". If it's a faulty copy: erratic front/back-focus behaviour wider than f8 with Canon's 1.6x crop factor cams.

By now you have probably read about some problems this lens has with canon's system, most likely because of the 1.6x crop, (widely discussed on dpreview's forums) but what I'm about to tell should give you more insight of how bad this problem can and may be.

You should be warned that this isn't gonna be a pretty review, but rest assured, I'm no troll trying to diss Tamron. I'll still give credit where credit is due.
Another warning: most of what I'll describe only happens with Canon's dSLRs (1.6x) and even so, not all lenses suffer from these problems. As you'll see later, this lens - when working right - can rival with ANY lens in this range image and sharpness wise, and for a fraction of the price... you just have to be lucky or persistant enough.

It all started when, in April, I received the lens and started right away to notice some inconsistency in focus/out-of-focus pictures, for no aparent reason. Then I noticed that sometimes I could see objects on focus closer to me than the one that should be on focus. It was clear what the problem could be, so I ran a few home-made tests with objects at different distances and with focus test charts to see if it wasn't really my fault.
It wasn't. The lens suffered from severe front-focus from f2.8 to f8 and from 28 to 50mm. For instance, if the shot was taken at 28mm/f2.8, specially some meters afar, it would show severe front focus... I'd say a good 5cm or so. If it was shot at 75mm/2.8, it would be tack sharp! I've used an EF 70-200/2.8L IS USM and several Canon primes so I know what *sharp* can look like, and I could tell you that when this boy is sharp, it will rival with ANY zoom lens in this range, regardless of price.

So, I contacted Tamron UK because their Service Dept. was famous on dpreview's forums for taking care of this somehow already infamous situation and I learned that I would have to send the lens thru my national importer (lens bought elsewhere within the EU) so I didn't have to pay expenses but that it was a known issue and it should be solved without a problem. Then with my national importer I learned that it would be sent to Tamron Germany.

One month later I had no news about the lens so I started getting a bit uneasy and had to really insist with them to give me news of some sort, or

at least a point of situation. That was when I received an email saying that the lens behaviour was erroneus because of bad use from the owner and that I would have to pay 163 for the repair. Mind you, this is a 315 lens with a couple of weeks we're talking about.
At this time I was plain p|ssed and I had to be a bit rough and direct in my argumentation. It had happened before with another Portuguese guy I know, with the same lens model but they were immediatey sorry and took care of it... with me the situation was getting a bit uglier.
After two or three emails they said they were sorry and that they would take care of the lens immediately with no expenses what so ever.

After two weeks I received the lens and immediately carried the same tests I did before sending the lens to callibration and the results were absolutely the same! I even doubted they had even done anything to it!
By the time I sent the next email, the person I was taking care of the problem with was on vacations so it took about one week to get some feedback. When I did receive a new email, from another technician who would take care of this process until the end, they asked if I could send the camera along with the lens so they could, this time, adjust the lens by 1:1 specifically for my camera. I thought "what the hell... if I do have to wait for it, I may as well send it all along so that I can receive it all working at 100%" because honestly, I did want this lens to work flawlessly as this is the range I work on mostly and as this lens is the smaller and lighter and cheaper in its class, it was a no-brainer.

As I had a couple of concerts to shoot at the the time I had to delay it by a couple of weeks and I seized the oportunity to send along my Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 so they could do some tweaking to get rid of some extra softness I was experiencing in the right side of the frame, which, by the way, they handled pretty fine and the lens is flawless now.
So I sent the lens free of charge by UPS and the next day (about 12h later!) it was in Germany already (hooray for UPS) and one week later I had it all back in my hands. Needless to say I immediately went to test it. Because I still noticed quite a lot of inconsistency in "real world" tests I decided to make a more analysable and thorough test. On a side note, the zoom ring also felt "harder" to handle after this last "intervention".
This time the lens came back even worse than before... the behaviour would be completely erratic and the lens wouldn't perform correctly even above 50mm like it used to!

At this point it was obvious there was no hope for this lens and I could only hope I could still return it after four months of "non use". My contact on Tamron said it himself that I should return the lens because even though I could send it again I should not be hopeful to receive it any better than this. He also said that I could quote him as authorization for the store to receive my lens back. Mind you, by E.U.'s laws, I only have a 15-day period to send a given item back for full refund, no questions asked, and this was more than four months later already. If Tamron would've told me to send the lens back, back when the problem started, that's what I'd have done.
The store said there was no problem and the process started. They would have to receive the lens, send the lens to Tamron, Tamron would pay them and finally, they would pay me. I had already decided to use the money to get a Canon EF 50/1.4 USM for a number of reasons I'll write about of later.
Through the process the store people told me 4 different times and in different contexts I would receive the money but it all changed when they already had Tamron's money with them and they decided to send me yet another Tamron 28-75/2.8. For as p|ssed as I could be, there wasn't anything I could do thousands of kilometers away from them but Karma is a bitch so I hope they'll pay in another way. On a side note, they are photo-palme.de, so I urge you not to buy there anything unless you like to sponsor a-holes and take risks.

When the lens arrived and as I had to sell it, I decided to test it to get sample shots to show its state and I was surprised when I found out this lens was working great. Goes to show that you _can_ get a great 28-75/2.8. The focus was still nothing close to Canons 24-70/2.8L but sharpness was right up there without a doubt. The Canon still holds a bit more natural saturation and contrast but nothing reeeeally noticeable or in other words, not something worth the 3 more times it costs compared to the Tamron alone. Canon's offer is worth it for the whole package: construction (no comparison here), focus performance (idem) and then the bit better color and contrast. Maybe you can even had to the equation the extra wide range if that's your cup of tea. Sure it weighs a ton compared to Tamron but you can notice where it is going to.

Anyway, I ended up replacing the 28-75/2.8 for an EF 50/1.4 USM because:
1) No other 3rd party brand has any zoom in this range that doesn't have its quirks and that can offer me peace of mind regarding this usual reverse engineering problems. Sigma's 24-70/2.8 and 28-70/2.8 have problems, Tokina's 28-70 also has problems. So I'm all for no compromising as of now.
2) Still not rich enough to afford Canon's L range, though I loved the 24-70/2.8L USM.
3) It's faster than any zoom available (obviously) and I can use that in concerts; it's sharper (idem); offers a good focal distance for venues and finally, it goes for about the same amount of money.

Overall Rating: 6 You may or may not get a good copy. If you do, it's a 9. If you don't, it's a 2 or 3. I figured I would toss a number somewhere in between.
Build Quality Rating: 7 You get what you pay for, or more or less. It does feel fragile but not to the point where it'll desintegrate in your hands. Just don't take it to the mosh pit. OTOH, it pays as a lightweight so it's perfect for walkaround use.
Price Rating: 10 Provided you get a good copy, it's a great bang for the buck.

Dec 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add otnemeM to your Buddy List
rock1110

Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, image quality, fast focusing, macro, f/2.8.
Cons:
Loose focusing ring.

Got this lens for over 8 months now. A 'default' lens on a field trip if you don't know exactly what to expect in your next shot. Image quality is pretty good as far as I could tell.

Macro function comes handy, but needs extension tubes for higher magnifications.

Focusing ring is pretty loose. When using manual focusing, you might accidentally change its setting if you rotate the polarier in front of it.

Overall, it's worth every penny. Would recommend.

Nov 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rock1110 to your Buddy List
rincoman

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, price, weight, f/2.8, no flare obiettivo nitido, con un buon rapporto qualita/prezzo, leggero, molto luminoso, non ha effetti flare degni di nota
Cons:
not L, colour, AF with night non arriva alla qualit d'immagine delle lenti L Canon, colore non eccellente, autofocus in crisi al buio

Ho comprato due settimane fa la mia prima fotocamera, la Canon 20D, e questo obiettivo m' arrivato 5 giorni fa.
Purtroppo non posso paragonarlo con altri obiettivi, ma le foto che ho realizzato finora sono eccellenti.
Si comporta molto bene con la 20D, sembra fabbricato apposta per lei!
Ero indeciso se prendere il Canon 24-105 L IS, ma costa 3 volte tanto e non cos luminoso....
L'autofocus funziona alla grande, piuttosto leggero e compatto, la sua apertura sino a f/2.8 moooolto utile, risulta molto luminoso, anche in interni.
Ha un leggerissimo flare a 28mm con luci artificiali ma normale.
Non credo serva un grandangolo, in compenso prender presto il 70-300 IS Canon, in quanto 75mm sono decisamente pochi anche su un sensore 1.6.

Unico neo, non riproduce i colori alla perfezione, ma un difetto trascurabile in quanto bastano pochi secondi di post-produzione con un qualsiasi programma di fotoritocco (ce ne sono anche alcuni freeware) per mettere tutto a posto.

Le migliori foto vengono da 35mm a 60mm e da f/5.0 a f/16.

Consigliato per: panorami, interni, ritratti, close-up
Sconsigliato per: caccia fotografica, walk-around (serve un tele)

Ottimo secondo me come primo obiettivo.

Viene fornito di paraluce.

Nov 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rincoman to your Buddy List
mrkon

Registered: Jul 26, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: constant 2.8, sharp, decent Macro, build quality, contrast
Cons:
color rendition

The flexibility with what you get with this lens is almost unbeatable. 28-75mm all at constant 2.8 with great picture quality for $330? Come on!

I love the size of this lens, very compact and relatively light weight. This lens gives pleasing bokeh, so it's a good portrait lens as well. It's not that great for landscapes until you stop it down to about f/8 or more.

I took a group shot out doors @ 5.6 and the left side was a little fuzzy. f/8 and a tripod would probably have fixed that though.

My only gripe is the color rendition, it's pretty far off from canon's L lenses. I find myself adjusting the saturation a lot in post production because they're a little dull.

All in all, a great lens for the price. If you're on a budget but looking for a great lens, this one is worth a hard look.

Nov 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mrkon to your Buddy List

Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 249775 May 2, 2012