Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 251708 May 2, 2012
8.8
2875mm

Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your
photographic horizons.

Model A09
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 14/16
Angle of View 75°-32°
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus 0.33m (13") (entire zoom range)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:3.9 (at 75mm)
Filter Diameter ø67

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Apr 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as at tack, light weight, cost is great
Cons:

I just bought this lens and all I can say it's a total winner. I can't believe how sharp it is even at 2.8.

Apr 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
herby

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Review Date: Apr 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp 28 to 75. very sharp..
Cons:
none so far

This is a very nice lens. I have a 70-200 4L IS and my tamron and L lens is side by side. very sharp all the way even at 2.8. This is a great walk around lens. Its on my 30D most of the time. I am surprised by the sharpness of this lens, its just a great deal for what its worth. check out my flickr for images from my tamron. www.flickr.com/photos/bisdakr

Apr 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add herby to your Buddy List
emandavi

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Apr 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap compared to Canon 24-70 L. Sharp at 4.0 and smaller apertures. Lightweight compared to other 2.8 lenses with this range.
Cons:
Auto-focus has hard time, even when it's not really that dark. Manual focus is difficult to handle, and not very smooth, it seems to "jerk" so that you can't smoothly focus, and have to go back and forth until you "hit" the focus.

I actually searched a long time at Craigslist for such a lens as this. I purchased the Canon 24-70 2.8, and within 4 days, the Tamron lens was listed. I purchased the Tamron also, since I have 3 camera bodies.
Sorry to say, but at 2.8 this lens is really soft, to the point of being "out of focus", and I can't seem to sharpen it enough to be able to print at larger than 11x14, even if originally taken at RAW format.
The lens is sharp at 4.0 or smaller aperture, and if you're not ever going to print larger than 8x10 (or sometimes you're lucky enough to get a good print at 11x14) for those shots taken at 2.8, then this lens is for you. It's so much cheaper than the Canon version, that it has to be recommended. You should use this outside in broad daylight if you want to get it's full potential. Used inside a mildly dark church (weddings?) and you're going to run into difficulties with focus and softness, and lack of contrast. The colors just seem to get muted out. It wouldn't be so bad if the manual focus were smoother. They're not, though. They just don't seem to smoothly focus, so you have to rotate the barrel back and forth a couple of times until it "jumps" into focus.
I still recommend it, though. It's my "walkaround" lens because of the 2.8, but I wouldn't trust it for professionally paid work.

Apr 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add emandavi to your Buddy List
imadethis

Registered: May 20, 2006
Review Date: Feb 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Contrast, Price, Fast lens, Walk Around Lens, Weight
Cons:
Slow focus in low light, No USM

Like many who are going to read these reviews, at first, I was hesitant to purchase this lens. Questions that came up to mind were

The Good
1. Will it be sharp?
2. How soft will it be wide open at 2.8?
3. How does it compare to a Canon 24-70mm?

After using the lens for a few indoor and outdoor events
1. The lens is razor sharp, and I mean extremely sharp when compared to my 50mm 1.4. I am just blown away at how sharp this lens is.
2. Wide open with the Tamron is sharper than most lenses. My copy is very sharp at 2.8.
3. Comparing sharpness, the Tamron beats the Canon L lens hands down. Just check out the Pop photo's lens tests.

More tests:

The Bad
In low light situations and lack of USM, the lens is slow to focus. I also wished Tamron extended the range of the lens to 24mm, but I'm assuming they designed it at 28mm for the sake of image quality.

Conclusion:
If you want a fast, sharp lens for 1/3 of the price of a Canon, then this is the lens for you. Real world example, I purchased all at the same time the Tamron 28-75mm, Sigma 500 DG flash, Gary Fong's flash diffuser, and a 300 watt sine wave inverter all for less than 1 24-70mm Canon L lens with money to spare.

Feb 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add imadethis to your Buddy List
Chu Li

Registered: Jan 20, 2007
Review Date: Jan 20, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Sharper
Cons:
6-year warranty

If you want your image good only for short period time (like half year), it should be OK for this lens. I think I am unlucky guy for this lens.

After read Popular Photography Magazine test result for this lens, I took the plunge. But it was out of the stock in New York. I call all Tamron retailers on my planed trip location. Found one in Boulder, Colorado. Flew to Boulder, bought in MSRP price at Mike’s Camera.

The first impression was the build quality – plastic; Down-toward zoom is too easy; up-toward zoom is very hard. I think there is no damping inside the lens. The non-internal focus lens, when you zoom out, like at the plastic inner barrel. I am worry it will be broken some day; Focus always hutting in low light, I must turn the lens zoom to some location and focus again and again.

When I brought this lens from the warm temperature of the car to the cold temperature outside (17F). Some time later, I found 3 racks in front glass. Back to Houston, I called Tamron USA If is it belong the 6-year warranty (material defect). Said “please mail to us. It is very difficult to discuss on the phone…”

After one week waiting to input my data to Tamron system. I called them again. They asked me $160.87 to replace the UV-Filter-Like glass. 6-year warranty only for mechanical defect. Not for material defect. I have the experience with Sigma for 50-500mm. I dropped the lens to the concrete ground. Both zoom and focus rings are locked (barrel deformed), I called Sigma USA. They ask me for $70 and then mailed to Sigma USA. Two weeks later I received a new serial number lens (change the outer barrel) – this was after one year warranty and it was Sigma gray market lens.

If you look at Tamron website Contact us – there is one sentence “All declined repairs will incur a $10.00 return shipping fee.” Do you think how many customs like choose - “declined sky high repair price”. I did.

Right now I am choosing macro lens. No Tamron any more. Do not be cheated by the Tamron 6-year warranty.

Jan 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chu Li to your Buddy List
candova

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Dec 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp,cheap,lightweight and 2.8
Cons:
non-usm

Dec 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add candova to your Buddy List
antidote

Registered: Jun 27, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, reasonably built, comes with a lens hood, light and SUPER SHARP!!
Cons:
Quality assurance issues....this is my second copy as the first was soft at f2.8-4. Focusing is a tad slow in low light but acceptable.

If you get a good copy of this lens, it is absolutely magic. It is very usable at f2.8 (sharp) and even sharper from there onwards. It will rival the canon 24-70/2.8 easily (in fact I would be happier with the tamron because of the weight and cost issues).

Excellent colours, contrast and bokeh (image quality).

On a negative side, I had to build up my courage to even consider trying to buy this lens again after my first experience. The first copy was rather poor. Soft at f2.8-4. Not even correctable by postprocessing (USM). I returned it...the whole purpose of owning a lens with f2.8 was so that I could shoot wide open!

The focus ring/zoom goes the opposite way to canon zoom lens...something I need to get use to.

Definitely recommended but beware of QA issues. Test the lens out and/or make sure you understand the return policy of the store.

I took away 1 point from the overall marking because of the grief it gave me on my first copy (QA issue).

Dec 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add antidote to your Buddy List
Iwont Tellu

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Nov 22, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Cheap
Cons:
Doesn't focus correctly, unusable

The build quality seems to be pretty decent.
Unfortunately the lens doesn't focus correctly and all images end up more or less blurry. I'll replace it and write another review IF I get a working lens -__-

Nov 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Iwont Tellu to your Buddy List
Crazy Fool

Registered: Aug 5, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $425.00

Pros: Sharpness, no flare or ca. Contrast and colours excellent
Cons:
Build, handling, low light focus, compatibility with AF assist

Update: I should have waited for a couple of weeks before posting as I've now returned my lens to the store!

While my copy was optically perfect, to the extent where I don't think a zoom can be better, I couldn't get used to the handling.

I kept missing shots due to the stiff (and reversed) zoom ring and low light focus. I miss the 24mm wide end more than I thought I would, the focus in low light is no good compared to Canon's USM (cannot focus quickly if at all on someones eyes at dusk!) While the focus was accurate if I had good light, my copy backfocused when used with the assist light on my 550EX which I use a lot.

I would still recommend this lens, just not for pictures of fast-moving kids! I'm going to go the full hog and buy either a Canon 24-70L 2.8 or the 24-105L. I'm not expecting picture quality to get any better, but I know the faster focusing and AF assist function will sort things out.

Nov 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Crazy Fool to your Buddy List
Jae Park

Registered: Oct 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, fast, average build
Cons:
Soft at 2.8, darkness in the edges when mounted on Canon EOS 5D, no HSM

I bought this lens a month ago as an alternate choice over the Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L USM.

The main reason why I wanted to try out the Tamron was because it was lighter. The 24-70L was way to heavy for me, and that was the reason I sold it in the first place 3 years ago.

I have using this lens for a month now, and what I can say about it is that it's simply a lot lighter than th 24-70L (duh). If you're not too oberssed with image quality, especially at the 2.8 end, it's a great over-all versatile lens.

Beware, edges are dark when mounted on the 5D. I don't know how it is for the 1Ds series, but unless you like the built-in vignetting effect, you don't want to use this on your 5D.

I am happy with this lens for now, but I can already see the day the 24-70L coming back soon.

Oct 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jae Park to your Buddy List
czechmate

Registered: Jun 7, 2006
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, contrasty, at times shockingly sharp even @ 2.8, light weight, small size, consistent, 67mm filter is affordable, great combo lens with 70-200 f/4, even has a little macro power, oh and best of all, probably best bang for buck of any lens out there, very affordable, as far as lenses go
Cons:
It can't make me dinner, can't vacuum the house, etc. None for this price. I went through a few samples until i found one that I deemed as sharp, but that may be user error.

There is no reason why you shouldn't have this lens, unless it is not wide enough for you. Very sharp responsive, and won't let you down. Some say that it hunts in low light. Focus on something contrasty, not the gray blank wall, lol. Great value for the money.

I took some of my best shots with this lens. Although it is not wide like the kit lens, 18-55, it does have that nice reach up to 75mm, which is sweet, and it actually does well as a portrait lens. Very versatile, can be also used for little macro, flowers etc, and is great to have on camera for general all around shooting.

Did i mention the 6 year warranty, take that canon! HA! It does not feel metallic but kinda plasticky and rubbery, but hey, i don't mind, as a matter of fact, i prefer the rings to be plasticky pleasant feel on the fingers / hand.

I wish i had the horribly expensive canon 24-70 f/2.8 so that i could compare, but from what I have heard, this lens does more than hold its own, as a matter of fact, in some tests it does BETTER.

Nothing to complain about at all, F/2.8 through entire range, gets really sweet about f/4 to f/5.6, probably the 'sweet spot' for this lens.

Would recommend this HIGHLY for a first initial lens, if you are getting into SLR field. Funny, I have the kit lens the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, and although it seems just a little slower (3.5 vs 2.8), if you do ANY shooting on the inside, that difference is EXTREME. The Tamron allows you to take shots that the kit never would, b/c it lets more light in. I did not think this would make a difference, but if you have a child, family etc and you want to shoot inside, the 2.8 really helps!

Highly recommended. Too bad this lens can't resolve all the problems in the world, other than that you have nothing to complain about,

cheers,

Czechmate

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add czechmate to your Buddy List
misanthropic a

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly sharp wide open, contrasty, inexpensive, light, good build.
Cons:
Slow AF especially in low light, have to find a good copy.

Purchased as a walk around lens on a 1.6x crop camera. Great lens, though it took 2 to get a copy that focused correctly. Also don't forget to check focusing on these, they tend to not always focus correctly (which may be the reason some people say they aren't always sharp).
Zoom is fluid and firm, with mine (Japanese model) the zoom lock isn't really needed unless I am running or some other such nonsense like that.
Super sharp even wide open, definetly L sharpness (compared to a 24-70, which seems to be this ones main competitor of sorts), without the weight. The colors are good, though not as good as an L, but its still darn good for the price of entry, and its a third of the weight.
Overall a fantastic lens for its price, and one that would be VERY hard pressed to be beaten at this price point.

Oct 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add misanthropic a to your Buddy List
daliangr

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Greece
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp,image guality,very good color in daylight,fast af,light weight,value for money
Cons:
some chromatic aberration indoor to my NIKON D50,warmer than natural

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add daliangr to your Buddy List
Crazy Fool

Registered: Aug 5, 2005
Review Date: Oct 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp wide open, contrasty, accurate focus on 10D
Cons:
Zoom ring isn't dampened

Like many people I have been searching for an outstanding standard zoom, and at last -slight handling niggles aside- I think I have found my favourite.

This lens is so sharp wide open, I never believed it could be so good. Nevertheless, this wasn't my first choice.

I tried three Sigma 24-60s before I got this, and all of them front-focused so that when I focused on eyes, all I got was a sharp nose! I had really wanted the 24mm wide end but I couldn't use a front-focusing lens. Reluctantly I returned the last Sigma 24-60, and asked to try a Tamron 28-75...

After a few test shots I was sold! Reliable autofocusing and sharpness (on the first sample I tried!) trumped all the Sigmas.

I'm really enjoying this lens now. Its great to be able to blur backgrounds properly, and not compromise on sharpness. Bokeh seems quite nice, better than my Canon 50mm Mk2.

The size and weight are good. In fact, it looks quite small on my 10D! I don't like the build or handling as much as the Sigmas, but neither are that bad really all things considered. I don't like the 'feel' of the zoom ring, but focusing is fast and image quality is first rate, so I'll try to ignore it!

I will miss the 24mm wide end of my 24-85usm, but not that much. I have an excellent Sigma 10-20 for wide angles anyway (thankfully with no focus issues!).

In summary, I would recommend this lens to anyone who wants possibly the sharpest f2.8 standard zoom available, but who doesn't mind slight handling imperfections!

Oct 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Crazy Fool to your Buddy List
bobbybrown

Registered: Dec 12, 2004
Review Date: Sep 25, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: very good image quality from f4 upwards. decent at f2.8. fortunately, glass quality is similar to those made in japan. decent tele range for most jobs but you may need to bring a 135-200 range lense just in case.
Cons:
zoom creeps on newer Chinese models. older Japanese models have a lot of grease so the zoom lock is practically redundant.

This is my second one as the first got nicked by Thailand airport baggage SOBs. Its a new chinese model and feels very different, zooming is now looser with less grease inside, the lense feels a little lighter, and possibly less well put together. However, quality is still decent especially between f4-f8. Very useful f2.8 for dim light and OOF effects. Will be on camera most of the time except for ultrawide and telephotos.

Sep 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bobbybrown to your Buddy List
artemisphoto

Registered: Mar 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality on par with Canon 24-70L + lighter and smaller too.
Cons:
None for $300.

Like others have said, it is an excellent alternative to the much more expensive Canon. The build quality is not on par with Canon L, but still good for $300. On the positive side, it is lighter and handles better than the Canon 24-70 on a Camera like the 20D or 30D.

Sep 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add artemisphoto to your Buddy List

Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 251708 May 2, 2012