Tamron 300MM F/2.8 LD (IF) SP AF

3 47996 Apr 21, 2013
8.7
300mm

Tamron's fast telephoto SP AF300mm F/2.8 LD (IF) delivers remarkable and exacting performance demanded by professionals. Two large LD (Low Dispersion) elements in the front lens group provide high contrast and crystal-clear image quality from the full open aperture. With Internal Focusing, you can maintain optimum holding balance since the lens'
overall length remains constant during focusing. Our Floating Focusing System improves optical performance especially at close shooting distances. Nine specially-shaped aperture blades form a nearly perfect circle to create excellent background blur for outdoor portraits. The true value of this lens is apparent when photographing sports action, low light theater performances, and wildlife. New is a Canon version that provides an easy-to-use AF/MF focusing ring, rear filter insertion frame that is compatible with the standard accessory circular polarizing filter and with the ring rotation capability from outside the lens, and detachable tripod mounting stand.

Change over mechanism for focusing ring

Switching between AF and MF is easily accomplished by sliding the focus ring back and forth. Manually focusing is smooth and precise with the focusing ring.

Model 360E
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 7-10
Angle of View 8
Type of Zooming --
Diaphragm Blade Number 9
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus 98.4in. (2.5m)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:7.1
Filter Diameter 43 (front 112)
Weight 98.7oz. (2,800gm)/C
79.3oz. (2,250gm)/M, N
Diameter x Length 4.7 x 8.5in.

(120 x 14.9mm)/C

4.7 x 8.4in.

(120 x 212.5mm)/M,N

Accessory Lens hood, Case
Mount Canon, Minolta, Nikon-D

FaulknersFoto

Registered: Aug 5, 2012
Review Date: Apr 21, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great AF Speed, Very Sharp Center, Price!
Cons:
A decent amount of fringing in high contrast areas

I've had this lens for a full season of sports now and have to say that I absolutely love it! I bought it off of ebay and it came with the collar, a UV filter on the front (112mm holy crap!), and a UV and CPL drop in filter. One of the greatest things about this drop in fliter is that it comes with one that rotates (no need for specialized CPL drop ins).

As for actual performance, it works great on both my 7D and 5DIII with very accurate AF. The AF makes a nice whir as it focuses from one place to the other, but it actually moves very fast for me. It just sounds slow due to the noise, much like an old sigma 24-70 2.8 I used to have. It works great in low light with great sharpness in the center which becomes a little soft at the edges at 2.8, especially on the full frame. By f4 it is very acceptable and by 5.6 it's awesome! This lens has performed for me very will both indoors and out, even in not-so-great lighting.

Last part? The price. It certainly cannot be neglected. Would I love a Canon 300 f2.8 L IS II? Of course! That being said, even the Canon non-IS used in terrible shape would've cost me at best 2.5x the money and a brand new Canon everything would be 10x the money. For that savings, this is one of my best bang-for-your-buck lenses and is used very often.

Apr 21, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FaulknersFoto to your Buddy List
Jman13

Registered: May 1, 2005
Review Date: Apr 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, good neutral bokeh, good color and contrast, AF accuracy
Cons:
Purple fringing in high contrast areas, slower AF than Canon

Picked this up for a steal in outstanding condition, including original box, collar, hood, case, filters, etc. I've seen some contradictory reviews on this lens online, but I must say, my copy is very sharp, straight from f/2.8, all the way to the edges (on full frame). It sharpens up a tiny bit more at f/5.6; f/4 increases contrast a little bit.

Bokeh is nice and smooth and specular highlights are evenly lit, though they do get a little cat's eye look at the edges of the frame wide open.

AF speed is not blazing fast, but it's quick when you are in the same focus area. I have found AF accuracy to be excellent.

The only negative on image quality is purple fringing in high contrast areas. However, I don't find it in enough images or to be bad enough to really cause any real issues, but it is there.

Overall, especially considering the price, I am extremely impressed.

Apr 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jman13 to your Buddy List
mystphoto

Registered: Apr 12, 2004
Review Date: Oct 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price! Ease of switching between manual and autofocus modes. A low-light lens.
Cons:
Auto-Focusing feels slow.

I picked up this lens used on ebay. When I received the lens I was nervous at first as there were some difficulties using the lens with my digital bodies. My Nikon N90s was fine, but the digital cameras were having focusing issues. A call to Tamron later and I found out the lens had an out-dated cpu-chip in the lens; shipped lens to Tamron in NY and two months later I got the lens back. Works better now.

Okay so how about that lens? I like the lens, the cost of the lens was a major factor in its purchase. I would have liked to purchase the Nikon Telephoto AF-S f/2.8G ED-IF VR lens at this time, but alas no funds do I have for such a purchase. At the time of my writting this review I had the Tamron lens in my possesion for almost a month (since being repaired). The weight I do not notice, as the lens is attached to a monopod when I use it. The switching between manual-focus and auto-focus I like since there is no button to accidently switch, you must instead rotate a cover out of position in order to mess with the fine-focus adjustment wheel. The auto-focus feels slow, this is a subjective statment at this time since I have not rented the lens available from Nikon to do a side-by-side. Depending on which camera body I use, determines the amount of extra searching for the auto-focus.

I think that actions speak louder than words so here are some images that I have taken with the lens. <a href="http://www.mystphoto.com/reviews/tamron/af300mm">http://www.mystphoto.com/reviews/tamron/af300mm</a>

Oct 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mystphoto to your Buddy List

Tamron 300MM F/2.8 LD (IF) SP AF