Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF 193

29 102971 Apr 20, 2014
7.8
af193

The value and performance of this wide-angle lens soars to new heights. Landscapes, group portraiture, or travel photography, this lens was built to travel light. But it's no lightweight on quality. Tokina's AF 193 uses high-refraction, low-dispersion (HLD) all-glass optics made by Hoya Corporation and multi-coated with Tokina's exclusive anti-reflection coatings for outstanding optical performance in a value-priced lens.

An internal zooming ability allows the focal length to be adjusted without the over-all length of the lens changing. Filters, such as circular polarizers and other special effects, can be used, and thanks to the internal focusing mechanism the filter will not move during focusing.

The AF 193 handles and travels easily due to its compact design and lightweight materials. Which is important because now you can have the benefits of a super-wide angle zoom lens with you all the time!

Page:  1 · 2

DynaSport

Registered: Aug 11, 2005
Review Date: Nov 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $135.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price, solidly built, sharp with nice colors.
Cons:
Limited zoom range, needs flash indoors, focus ring turns when autofocusing.

I bought this when I gave my Rebel and kit lens to my daughter and bought a used 20D. I needed something to replace the kit lens, but my budget was busted by the 20D. The camera store had a used copy of this lens and I bought it without knowing much anything about it, very unsual for me. They gave me a week to test it out and bring it back if I didn't like it, so I have only had it a couple of days, but I have been using the daylights out of it.

I think it is built very well, especially considering the price. The zoom ring on mine is overdamped, actually a bit tight to turn, but it is very smooth. The focus ring is a bit scratchy though.

It is a slow zoom, so it needs flash indoors, but I have to say it makes very nice photos. The photos have been very sharp and contrasty, with good color. I wish it focused a bit closer. The kit lens definitely focused closer, which made flower photos nice. Still, I will keep this lens and eventually add a 2.8 zoom. With this lens to cover the wide side when necessary, I will be able to buy a 2x-7x 2.8 zoom like the Tamron 28-75 and just pull this lens out when I need a wide shot. For now though, it will be paired with my 50 1.8 for a walk-about combo.

Bottom line is that I will not be returning this lens. I wish it had a wider zoom range, but this thing takes nice photos and the price was definitely right.

Nov 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DynaSport to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $144.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cost, IQ
Cons:
None...

What more can you say about the "Fantastic Plastic"? Almost the same zoom range as a 17-40 for about 1/4 the cost. No, it's not a constant f4, nor is it weathersealed, but it's a great lens nonetheless! Took me a while to warm up to it, but I'm really happy I did.
Really nice IQ with good colors and nice contrast. Could it be better? I'm sure it could. If your bread and butter is wide angle shots, you should probably invest in the L. If you're going to use this FL range occasionally, I can't think of a lens to recommend more highly.

Nov 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
phyrpowr

Registered: Aug 31, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, lightweight, sharp, fast focussing, good color/contrast
Cons:

Used this lens on film and digital cameras, no complaints, only sold it to get $$ for my 10-22

HUGE bang-for-bucks factor

Oct 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phyrpowr to your Buddy List
Johno

Registered: Jan 26, 2004
Review Date: Sep 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp center, a tiny wee bit soft at the edges. Well built. Amazing value for money.
Cons:
None at the price.

Bought one of these for 60 used. I am amazed at how good this lens is for the money. Used it on a 5D with great results. very sharp in the main, a wee tiny bit soft at the edges, but not a great deal worse than my 17-40L is. If you are on a budget, you cannot ask for more.

Sep 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Johno to your Buddy List
SergioCR

Registered: Mar 15, 2006
Location: Costa Rica
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $95.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good Built Quality. Very sharp optics when stopped down a couple of stops. Autofocus is fast and accurate, also lens doesn't change length when switching between 19mm/35mm or focusing.
Cons:
A little soft at 19mm but very useable. Flare can be a problem sometimes without a hood. A good replacement for "kit lens" on a crop body giving a 30mm / 56mm eq.

Very good lens! It's actually my "walk-around lens" for landscape and gives very good results.

It is not as wide as i want on a 1.6x crop body but that's one cheap lens with tack sharp quality. When looking for lenses, i'll give a second look at tokina now.

Jul 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SergioCR to your Buddy List
Tigadee

Registered: Aug 4, 2005
Review Date: Jun 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $135.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, quite sharp, good colour & contrast
Cons:
Prone to ocassional flare, rotating front lens element

Nikon mount under the Vivitar Series 1 lable, bought 2nd hand. Build quality of this version under Vivitar is a bit rattle-y but otherwise OK. Fairly sharp pics wide open and very good stopped down slightly. A little soft at corners wide open.

Jun 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tigadee to your Buddy List
AJvisual

Registered: Oct 23, 2004
Review Date: Apr 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $170.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Reliable even if dropped on the ground from 3 feet (don't try this at home kids). I own L lenses and always have to send them to Canon for some reason or another (dropped on the ground from waist level)but this one has never had to go to its maker.
Cons:
No cons for a lens at this price.

Apr 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AJvisual to your Buddy List
GOVA

Registered: Nov 23, 2002
Review Date: Mar 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $129.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent Built. Compact size. Very light.
Cons:
None (for its price)

After using all L class glass I wanted, I decided to pick Tokina 19-35 up and give it a try. Well, for the price that it is available new it is just a gem. It performs well on FF body! It'll be even better with cropped sensors. Overall, for the price, it is an excellent buy.

Mar 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GOVA to your Buddy List
coppertop

Registered: Jan 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 15, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $169.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Takes acceptable images. Neat lens design.
Cons:
Soft wide open. AF/MF switch cheap and easy to bump.

I tried this lens and had no reservations about returning it. First the positives... I like the lens design. The barrel extends about 1/4 inch beyond the front element which allows the lens length to remain constant when zooming.

I don't like the plastic AF/MF switch. It looks like the plastic on a toy and the AF can be easily turned off when it is slightly bumped.

Image quality was o.k. Nothing to stop traffic, simply o.k. It was soft at the 19mm end. If your looking for an inexpensive lens for your child to learn with, maybe this would be a decent choice. Personally, I'd go with a Canon 28-90 or a prime from Canon that runs about the same.

Feb 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add coppertop to your Buddy List
antman

Registered: Dec 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Yes! quality design and construction. Does not change length with either focus or zoom. Price. Feels perfectly balanced on a Nikon D70. Sharp!
Cons:
Flare.

For the $60 I paid on ebay for my mint copy, there is zero to complain about this lens. It is worth at least four times that. It has professional sharpness throughout the zoom range - excellent for landscapes and candid. There is flare because of the wide front element, but nothing a well-placed hand to shade the sun can't fix. It is said to be the same optical design as the more expensive 20-35mm. With its Tokina rubber tire-pattern zoom ring and focus ring this lens is ergonomically perfect in big hands! I'm now considering the Tokina 24-200mm. This Tokina 19-35mm is making me take a second look at Tokina before every future lens-buying decision. Get one.

Oct 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add antman to your Buddy List
docwells7

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Jul 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, color/contrast, price,price,price...
Cons:
stiff focus/zoom rings

I just can't say enough good about this lens. It's built like a tank, focus is quick and accurate...quiet as well. Covers a very practical range and the cost can't be beat. I'm not saying it's 17-40L material, but it's $150 for heaven's sake. I have prints at 16x20 from Bryce Canyon that are just stunning. I'm really glad I got this lens.

Jul 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add docwells7 to your Buddy List
go4it

Registered: Sep 2, 2004
Review Date: Apr 17, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: None
Cons:

Sure this isn't "kosher" to do but, c'mon someone, enough time has passed since it's introduction for the EXCELLENT Tokina AT-X Pro 124 (12-24mm) f/4 to hit this review section!

Therefore, let me get the ball rolling ......

The AT-X 124 is a "APS-C" sensor sized ULTRA w-i-d-e zoom for D-SLRs that has been a L-O-N-G time coming!!! As long as you anticipate the usual consequences of shooting with an ultra-wide zoom, you won't be disappointed!

Built quality is absolutely first-rate! Us Canon users will find it not a notch less than our beloved "L" series lenses. Color, resolution and contrast are just what we'd expect from an "L" lens, too - - -except this lens fits ALL of out Canon D-SLR's, not just 2 models, one of which is a "toy" (The rebel Digital / a.k.a. 300D). As with most ultra-wide zooms, you see some barrel distortion but it's well controlled, IMO. I observed no colour fringing ...

With the 1.6X factor, this is a "genuine" 19-39mm zoom ... and I have shot with is almost every single day since I received it and have not been disappointed with a single exposure.

Apr 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add go4it to your Buddy List
WesleyWong

Registered: Mar 28, 2004
Review Date: Jan 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great price - wide
Cons:
pictures are soft but get sharp a ~f9-11

Dubbed the "Plastic Fantastic". Mine is built like a tank. You can't beat this lens for the price. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative this is the perfect lens for you.

Jan 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add WesleyWong to your Buddy List

Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF 193