Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

218 492497 Sep 3, 2014
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63°
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

Beverly Guhl

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Mar 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, DOF range, creative options, lightweight, size, solid build.
Cons:
none for me

I'd come across some wonderful portraits of people and pets with a really shallow DOF and asked the photographers what lens they used, and this was it. I knew I had to have one. I LOVE this lens. It gives color, clarity, and sharpness mixed with a creamy bokeh that makes you just sit back and be awed by the images. The razor thin DOF can be challenging, but for creative, artsy effects for portraits, pets, objects it's fabulous. Landscapes and everything in between are rich and and crisp. The creative options and versatility make this a great lens to own. The price is probably just about right for a lens of this quality, but don't we all wish they were cheaper.

4 sample shots taken with this lens:

Mar 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Beverly Guhl to your Buddy List
Dietr

Registered: Feb 11, 2010
Review Date: Feb 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great perspective for casual portraiture, nice bokeh
Cons:

Bokeh is just a little nervous compared to some of the other L lenses in this category...like the 50 and 85. But that is only a small problem and not a real concern. Lens is Sharp and I mean SHARP. Right from 1.4 the center is razor and the slightly wide perspective gives a great feel to casual portraits of children. Puts you right into the action and emotion of the shot. I sold my 50L to get this one and have ZERO regrets! For the shots where I want a creamy soft background I will mount the 85L.

Feb 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dietr to your Buddy List
maiaibing

Registered: Jun 25, 2009
Location: Afghanistan
Review Date: Jan 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: colors, fast focus, build, bokeh,
Cons:

This lens delivers wonderful results. It is the perfect standard lens for a crop camera and it creates beautiful pictures on FF.

The bokeh is great, it's truely razor sharp from f/1.8 and only marginally soft wide open. It's focus is soundless and lightning fast.

I shoot mainly portraits with the 35L wide open and at f/1.6.and people are really impressed. Have also had many pictures published in all kinds of media from book covers over newspapers to TV with this lens.

Did I mention that the colors are deep and saturated too?

It can go close and take pictures at available light from amazing perspectives. For indoor use is shines at taking pictures of family and friends with both crop and FF.

Of all my lenses it is the one I will always bring along - and the one I use the most. It's worth every cent you pay for it.

It may show some CA, PF etc. wide open as others have mentioned, but so does the 50L, 85L and the 135L (a sacrifice made to improve the bokeh). For this reason I often tend to shoot @ f/1.6 for just a little better colors and contrast.

The 35mm 2.0 is a close as Pluto when it comes to functionality and image IQ.

Jan 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maiaibing to your Buddy List
Sobax

Registered: Mar 11, 2004
Review Date: Dec 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp even at 1.4, great colors and contrast.
Cons:
1st and 2nd copies with huge front focus....3rd perfect. Seems like there is some really bad copies on the market.

My advice: BUY IT LOCALLY ...not online....and DO NOT give it to Canon if you get bad copy...just go to the store and exchange. took me 7 weeks and 6 trips to Canon Service my 2nd copy (1st the same ) had a front focus....Canon service was not able to repair it...after 7 weeks the admit it and gave me new copy the 3rd one (which is great).
Cheers
Could be 10/10 but to much problems with those bad copies that I had.

Dec 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sobax to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 13, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,037.00

Pros: awesome colors, bokeh, low light, IQ,

this lens is amazing as a walkabout hard to beat on 5d mk 11
see shots

Dec 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
waterboiler

Registered: Jun 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Image quality, Build, AF Speed
Cons:
Only thing that held me back for year was price

I bought this lens for low light work and am very happy with it. I mostly use it for events - quite often with a bit of flash. For night / indoor events like wedding receptions, it is the 1st lens I break out on a FF body. You do need to be careful at f/1.4 - DOF is quite shallow so it does not work well for group shots close up but stop it down a bit for those situations.
I do like it as a general purpose walk-around lens. The speed is second to none and while I miss the range of my 24-105 zoom at times, I never get tired of the shots I get at f/1.4 in lower light situations. A lot of travel type shots are taken in locations with 'no flash' rules - this is the lens for those situations.
While expensive ( compared to the similar Canon 50/1.4 ) I suspect this is the price you pay for the image quality ( general & edge sharpness ) but I do find it a bit over priced.

Dec 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add waterboiler to your Buddy List
vk2109

Registered: Jan 5, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, F1.4, Size, Bokeh and Color
Cons:
Price I would say :-(

I got this lens as I wanted to have a low light prime lens. I used to shoot around 35-40mm with my 24-70L so I got this lens and wasn’t disappointed at all. The lens is really sharp and produces so nice colors. With this lens you can shoot in low light without bumping your ISO. I always keep it as a complement to my 24-70L. One thing that is hard to master at the beginning is the shallow depth of field and at F1.4 shooting family group photo isn’t the best solutions.

Overall it’s a great lens and you really feel you are holding a piece of rock (actually glass !!!)

Oct 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vk2109 to your Buddy List
bluefox9er

Registered: May 10, 2007
Review Date: Oct 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp,sharp,sharp and low light dream come true
Cons:
price..it's DISGUSTINGLY over priced

I stand by the many, many, many positve virtues of this lens..it's incredibly sharp wide open and renders the most amazing shots my camera has ever taken.

the *only* negative is the price. for some stupid reason canon hae otally over priced this lens..I am certain the pricing is set because it's a lens that a pro shooter would have and usually rite off on expenses, much like hiltons/sherratons etc charging $100 fo lunch etc.

phenomenal lens , but at price that makes you wonder how crazy this world has become

Oct 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bluefox9er to your Buddy List
kelvinjayw

Registered: Oct 6, 2009
Review Date: Oct 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: My copy is incredibly sharp, even at f/1.4.
Cons:
More CA than I thought there would be wide open and purple fringing

My first test shots left me slightly horrified by the amount of CA the 35L produced at f/1.4. On close up shots, areas of high contrast on metallic objects showed purple fringing, and out of focus areas showed a green/magenta cast. I was not impressed.

But after a few more days of testing though, the sheer quality and sharpness of this lens won me over. I checked my copy against that of other owners, and saw that my copy was similar in performance to theirs.

Away from lens torture tests and used in regular shooting situations, the 35L is capable of producing amazing results. On a full frame 5D2 it creates stunning shots, where the ultra shallow DOF and razor sharpness really does create a 3D quality. I love it, especially for B&W environmental portraits.

I don't think this lens is for everyone, it's quite a specialist piece of equipment. I wasn't sure it was for me at first, but the more I use it and get to know it, the more I like it. I'd recommend renting it before buying it.

Oct 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kelvinjayw to your Buddy List
victoriae

Registered: Sep 13, 2009
Review Date: Sep 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: An amazing lens, superb colour and contrast easy to use.
Cons:
A little CA in some shots

Without a doubt my favourite L lens and i use this with all 3 bodies (5D,50D,1D MK iii) and always gives excellent pictures.
Colour and contrast is the best of any of the L's i have. Very easy to use when compared to the 50mm 1.2 and 85mm 1.2. This would be the last lense that i would sell and the first to replace if it went walkies. I cannot recommend it enough.
MK ii version? they will have their work cut out to do better i think.

Sep 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add victoriae to your Buddy List
Haring

Registered: Sep 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 17, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Color, sharpness, ....
Cons:

UPDATE! I just had a wedding session over the weekend. I totally covered the whole range with the 35L and 85L (85L was placed onto a 40D to cover the longer range). I also have a 17 40L and a 28 70L. I am going to out the 28 70 on ebay this week! the 35L is an amazing lens!
There are a couple of excellent shots on my site. http://www.haringphotography.com
Look for the blond girl and the guy on the beach in the engagement session. The wide lens was the 35L but the other pictures were created with the 85L 1.2…:):):)
I hope it helps.

Sep 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Haring to your Buddy List
Haring

Registered: Sep 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: BEST PRIME from Canon so simple
Cons:
price?

I use this along with a 85L for low light photography. Before I had the 24mmL. This is MUCH better. Image sharpness and contrast is superb. Blurr is great. Colors are amazing. It is expensive but you just buy it and try to forget its price...

Sep 11, 2009
swnow

Registered: Jul 28, 2009
Review Date: Sep 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: If you plan to keep only 1 lens of Canon, this is the One to keep. This lens is even better than Leica.
Cons:

Sep 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add swnow to your Buddy List
GeneO

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,275.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast aperture, Sharpness very good wide open as well as overall color, contrast
Cons:
Vignetting even on 1.25x crop, but livable. Cost. QA

I bought this lens to fill a FL void. I like it very much. Great color, contrast and sharpness.

Vignetting is livable (and I even like the effect, but of course I would rather have none and add the effect in PP than the other way around). But to be expected at this aperture and focal length,

It was off by 12 MA clicks out of the box. Works fine adjusted on my 1D3, but unusable on 1D Mk2n. Need to send it in, shouldn't have to have.

Would have been a 10 if I didn't have to send it in.

Aug 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GeneO to your Buddy List
Keith Broad

Registered: Aug 14, 2007
Review Date: Aug 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Angle of view, bokeh, contrast and colour.
Cons:
Steep learning curve. Difficult (for me) to focus. Hard to live without.

I thought a great deal before buying this focal length. I was torn between a 50mmL or an 85mmL, but after seeing the type of shots this lens can deliver I opted for the 35mm. I figured that if I was desperate for the 85 or 50 F/L, Canon had two non L versions that are highly thought of - ones I could afford. So, I went for the 35, because there is nothing else like it. I have had this lens for a month. At first, I thought I had bought a dud. I couldn't focus it. I fiddled, did some micro-adjustment, practiced with it and, finally, I think I understand it.

It's not an easy lens to use, but it is worth mastering. It's a bit slower than my zooms (to focus) but it likes the dark. It's a 100% sharper at f2, but there is still a limited place for f1.4. It's bokeh is magic, it's contrast rich and it's the nearest I have come across that is close to the human eye. This, alone, makes it a lens worth taking the time to learn and savour. I am now uncomfortable when it's NOT on the camera I'm holding.

Aug 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Broad to your Buddy List
sunpole

Registered: Jan 3, 2009
Review Date: Jul 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Fast + very sharp, AF is accurate. Compact size, fits well on my 5D2. Very useful focal length
Cons:
Plastic, build can be more solid

The most useful prime I have. I couple 35L and 135L, the really work wonders. Light weight set up and not compromising any IQ. Tack sharp and fast. I sold my 24L after getting this lens, IMO this is a much more useful lense in many situations.

Jul 20, 2009